Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS

Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 8:58 AM

Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


WOOOOOOW. Links coming.

Last edited 12/8/2011 10:07 AM by Stamm32089

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 9:18 AM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 9:24 AM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



ssb0812 wrote:
Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....
FIELDER....MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 10:08 AM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 


Angels To Sign Albert Pujols

By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 9:46am CST]

 

The Angels are the bridesmaid no more.  Albert Pujols will sign with the Angels for ten years and $250-260MM, reports Yahoo's Tim Brown.  He'll receive a full no-trade clause.  Pujols decided this morning, writes Brown.  The contract will be the second or third-largest in baseball history, depending on whether it tops Alex Rodriguez's $252MM deal.  Pujols is represented by Dan Lozano of Icon Sports Group.

 

Pujols, 32 in January, was drafted by the Cardinals in 1999 in the 13th round and began his career with a staggering 11-year stretch.  The first baseman is the active career leader in batting average (.328) and slugging percentage (.617).  He's second among active players in career on-base percentage at .421, so Pujols certainly fits new Angels GM Jerry Dipoto's plan to improve the team's OBP.  Pujols owns a Rookie of the Year award and three MVP awards, and has ranked no worse than ninth in the MVP voting in every season of his career.  He's been extremely durable, averaging 155 games per season.

 

Pujols anchors an Angels offense that ranked tenth in the American League in 2011 with 4.12 runs scored per game.  With Kendrys Morales and Mark Trumbo, Dipoto now has a couple of first base trade chips.

The Cardinals signed Pujols to a long-term deal in 2004, which ended up being a huge bargain at $111MM over eight years.  Pujols and the Cardinals failed to find common ground on an extension in February this year, but the contract didn't seem a distraction as the team ended up winning the World Series.

The suddenly free-spending Marlins made a competitive bid for Pujols this offseason, offering a ten-year deal but not bending on their policy of avoiding full no-trade clauses.  They seemingly dropped out after signing Mark Buehrle, and up until Thursday morning, the Cardinals were considered the favorite.  The Cards reportedly topped out with a nine-year offer.  It's not much of a consolation prize, but the Cardinals will receive the Angels' #19 pick in the 2012 draft as well as a supplemental choice.

 

With Pujols off the market, Prince Fielder is the top prize still available for teams looking to add a big bat. However, based on the latest reports, the most aggressive suitors for Pujols, such as the Cardinals and Marlins, won't be involved in the bidding for Fielder.

Last edited 12/8/2011 10:09 AM by Stamm32089

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 10:08 AM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 


Angels To Sign C.J. Wilson

By Tim Dierkes [December 8 at 9:56am CST]

Lefty C.J. Wilson will join Albert Pujols in Los Angeles, as the Angels continue a surprising free agent spending spree.  The Halos completed a deal with Wilson today, an executive who spoke to the team told Joel Sherman of the New York Post.  It's a five-year, $75MM deal, tweets Jon Heyman of MLB Network.

Wilson, a 31-year-old Fountain Valley, California native, posted a 2.94 ERA, 8.3 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 0.64 HR/9, and 49.3% groundball rate in 223 1/3 innings this year.  He added another 28 innings in the postseason.  Including the playoffs, Wilson has tallied a massive 479 2/3 innings over 76 starts since being converted back to a starter in 2010.  Wilson joins a stellar Angels rotation that includes Dan Haren, Jered Weaver, and Ervin Santana.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 11:13 AM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


I think that the Angels are crazy to sign Poohole for that long. 10 years is a LOOONG time and I think it will end up being like our signing of ARod in 2000.

BEAR OUR BANNERS FAR AND WIDE!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 11:25 AM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


Obviously the deal will suck ass for the Angels around 7-8 years from now...BUT THAT'S IN SEVEN OR EIGHT YEARS. SH*T.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2011 12:15 PM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


there's no question these signings,  Wilson at the direct expense of the Rangers, make the Angels the favorites in the division this coming year.   They have absolutely superior pitching and now have the bomber in the middle of the linup they haven't really had the last couple of years........ as it was they hung in with us last year being only a couple of games out in the beginning of September.....yes, we will be a good team next year....but we are starting to look like a second place team again...we are the 2 time American League champion and won't even be favored to win our division next year.....not too happy about that.....no Fielder isn't the answer ..I don't think anyway....we need a serious starter to replace Wilson  at least.....with our chief rival making an upgrade killing maybe sitting on our hands isn't the best philosophy this winter.......hate to say it we just got smoked....
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 12:55 PM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


I guess the Angels already locked up the division rolleyes

Smiley face

Last edited 12/8/2011 12:56 PM by Stamm32089

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 1:13 PM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 



Knightsonfire wrote: there's no question these signings,  Wilson at the direct expense of the Rangers, make the Angels the favorites in the division this coming year.   They have absolutely superior pitching and now have the bomber in the middle of the linup they haven't really had the last couple of years........ as it was they hung in with us last year being only a couple of games out in the beginning of September.....yes, we will be a good team next year....but we are starting to look like a second place team again...we are the 2 time American League champion and won't even be favored to win our division next year.....not too happy about that.....no Fielder isn't the answer ..I don't think anyway....we need a serious starter to replace Wilson  at least.....with our chief rival making an upgrade killing maybe sitting on our hands isn't the best philosophy this winter.......hate to say it we just got smoked....
I dont think anything is set in stone.   I think the possibility of a REAL two dog fight for the next decade is flat out sexy.    Both Texas and LAA have great ownership in place and strong front offices.  Both teams have dumped money into their farm systems --  its just a sexy sexy rivalry IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 1:27 PM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


This rivalry's about to heat up for sure. Should be fun cool
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2011 1:33 PM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 



InsidePitch wrote:
Knightsonfire wrote: there's no question these signings,  Wilson at the direct expense of the Rangers, make the Angels the favorites in the division this coming year.   They have absolutely superior pitching and now have the bomber in the middle of the linup they haven't really had the last couple of years........ as it was they hung in with us last year being only a couple of games out in the beginning of September.....yes, we will be a good team next year....but we are starting to look like a second place team again...we are the 2 time American League champion and won't even be favored to win our division next year.....not too happy about that.....no Fielder isn't the answer ..I don't think anyway....we need a serious starter to replace Wilson  at least.....with our chief rival making an upgrade killing maybe sitting on our hands isn't the best philosophy this winter.......hate to say it we just got smoked....
I dont think anything is set in stone.   I think the possibility of a REAL two dog fight for the next decade is flat out sexy.    Both Texas and LAA have great ownership in place and strong front offices.  Both teams have dumped money into their farm systems --  its just a sexy sexy rivalry IMO.
first off with all due respect (and I remember you from years ago on the old AOL board when my name was RACMEB) it sounds like you need to get a date.....that said..yes, I agree, both teams have aggressive ownership in place with deeper pockets and a serious desire to win.....one look at Nolan Ryan's "concerned" grimace when things aren't going well is all you need to see that the Rangers will not be sitting by content with being an also ran in pennant races again....what materializes from these Angel's additions and the Ranger front office response remains to be seen....but this could be the beginning of an AL West version of the Yankee /Red Sox  "can you top this?" rivalry.....doubt if we see dueling $200 mil team salaries but the probability that these 2 teams leave Oak, Sea and now Houston in the dust for years to come is a real.......let the good times begin..........I think............................................. .................................................. ...............................................


.now if Cj Wilson could pull a "gary matthews Jr." that would be great.......
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2011 2:20 PM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



ssb0812 wrote:
Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....
My thoughts exactly.  Albert is 32 in Dominican years, 35 is closer to his actual age. He has 3-4 more good years left, then they will rue this day. And CJ got a lot less than he was looking for,didn't he? They really didn't overspend on him, that seems reasonable. Well...as reasonable as you can say these contracts are.eek1
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 3:22 PM

Re: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


I love it.  This will be fuel on the fire and will make those games more attractive than the Yankees and Red Sox. 

BTW, the Yanks and BoSox both only visit the ballpark once this year

Rangers Fan since 1972

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2011 5:39 PM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



ssb0812 wrote:
Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....

I agree.  The Angels may regret these contracts in as little as two years.  Pujos will be paid big money for basically the downside of his career, and who knows how C.J. Wilson will perform??
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2011 2:10 AM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


roy oswalt?


« All the salt in the world couldn't melt that ice. »
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2011 10:20 AM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



Mark478 wrote:
ssb0812 wrote:
Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....

I agree.  The Angels may regret these contracts in as little as two years.  Pujos will be paid big money for basically the downside of his career, and who knows how C.J. Wilson will perform??
no one can predict anything 5 years from now...so many different things can be happen that it's basically irrelevant....but no one...even you , can't admit that these 2 pickups..without losing any talent like we did, isn't a difference maker for a few years to come.....they just upped the ante in our division...it remains to be seen how the Rangers respond...my thinking is that they won't sit back and be religated to also ran like we were when Hick's was in charge......Our lineup...WHEN HEALTHY...is still the best in the league....if Nathan can replace Feliz and Feliz can replace Wilson..big ifs...then we should be fine despite the Angels pickups.....that said, no one can assure health or  that these pitching staff changes will work....particular by September in a close pennant race......going into these meetings we were still the favorites to repeat ..now it's up in the air and leaning LA's way....
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2011 12:33 PM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



dallasD85 wrote:
ssb0812 wrote:
Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....
FIELDER....MAKE IT HAPPEN!
i agree..we need fielder and let ham go...trade moreland
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2011 12:36 PM

RE: Pujols AND CJ Wilson sign with ANGELS 


inside how you doing man?..the guy who has made me a fantacy fanatic...mortgage bus ok?
InsidePitch wrote:
Knightsonfire wrote: there's no question these signings,  Wilson at the direct expense of the Rangers, make the Angels the favorites in the division this coming year.   They have absolutely superior pitching and now have the bomber in the middle of the linup they haven't really had the last couple of years........ as it was they hung in with us last year being only a couple of games out in the beginning of September.....yes, we will be a good team next year....but we are starting to look like a second place team again...we are the 2 time American League champion and won't even be favored to win our division next year.....not too happy about that.....no Fielder isn't the answer ..I don't think anyway....we need a serious starter to replace Wilson  at least.....with our chief rival making an upgrade killing maybe sitting on our hands isn't the best philosophy this winter.......hate to say it we just got smoked....
I dont think anything is set in stone.   I think the possibility of a REAL two dog fight for the next decade is flat out sexy.    Both Texas and LAA have great ownership in place and strong front offices.  Both teams have dumped money into their farm systems --  its just a sexy sexy rivalry IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2011 5:43 PM

Re: Pujols signs with ANGELS 



Knightsonfire wrote:
Mark478 wrote:
ssb0812 wrote:
Stamm32089 wrote: WOOOOOOW. Links coming.
Well..........Let's now hope the Rangers don't make a dumb knee jerk move, simply to make a move,  just because Pujols in an Angel now. Texas is still a pretty damn good team regardless....

I agree.  The Angels may regret these contracts in as little as two years.  Pujos will be paid big money for basically the downside of his career, and who knows how C.J. Wilson will perform??
no one can predict anything 5 years from now...so many different things can be happen that it's basically irrelevant....but no one...even you , can't admit that these 2 pickups..without losing any talent like we did, isn't a difference maker for a few years to come.....they just upped the ante in our division...it remains to be seen how the Rangers respond...my thinking is that they won't sit back and be religated to also ran like we were when Hick's was in charge......Our lineup...WHEN HEALTHY...is still the best in the league....if Nathan can replace Feliz and Feliz can replace Wilson..big ifs...then we should be fine despite the Angels pickups.....that said, no one can assure health or  that these pitching staff changes will work....particular by September in a close pennant race......going into these meetings we were still the favorites to repeat ..now it's up in the air and leaning LA's way....


Rumor has it that the Rangers are interested in Fielder, despite their public statements.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >