Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 8  Next >

RE: Budweiser American Ale...

Avatar

Posted: 9/27/2008 8:24 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


Oh, and we had a little get-together tonight with some friends (play date for the 13 and 15 month olds, dinner and drinks for the parents).  I found some Michelob Dunkel Weisse when I was at the grocery store.  It is way better than Budweiser American Ale...and it cost me $5.99 as opposed to $7.99 per 6 pack.

It is definitely worth checking out if you like European style wheat ales.  It is the best A-B product I have tasted.




This message was approved by the Easton Eye Test™.

Last edited 9/27/2008 8:33 PM by easton714

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/28/2008 1:16 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


Good to hear!

I'm glad that it panned out.  I'm glad to hear it's still cheap too.

I'll have to try some soon.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2008 9:34 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



easton714 wrote:


Hops MAKE beer.  If a beer isn't hoppy (that is supposed to be) isn't, then I am not interested.

My garage fridge currently contains:

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue American Ale
Bell's Oberon Ale
Bell's Java Stout
Bell's Pale Ale
Mad Anthony Pale Ale
Mad Anthony IPA
Warbird Pale Ale
Warbird Wheat
Upland Dragonfly IPA
Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale
Guinness Draught Cans
Young'd Double Chocolate Stout Cans
Bass Pale Ale
Red Hook ESB


I am actually equally, if not moreso, picky about rums...interestingly enough.  I have over 40 bottles in my collection...up to 40 years old.

 

EDIT:  Oh, I also have about 10 bottles of Tequila...about 7 of which are not sold in the U.S.  Authentic anejo tequilas are a thing of beauty.

Easton - You got a nice selection on hand.  All I got is some 1554 Black Ale and Schlafly Pale Ale.  I was too lazy to hit the liquor store and the grocery store has very limited selections.  You have some stuff I have not tried before.  I like the Bell's stuff.  I bet you like the Bell's Two Hearted Ale?  I live in IL and I heard Bell's had a distributor problem there...so I can't get it unless I pick some up in STL.

Have you tried Founder's Devil Dancer?  I just recently finished off the last of the 4-pack.  That thing is a beast.  It is a triple IPA with 13% ABV.  Huge amounts of flavor.  They dry hop it for 26 straight days with 10 varieties of hops. 

I don't know where you are located...but I am sure you would like the O'Fallon 5-day IPA.  They are located in O'Fallon, MO.  Just thinking about the combination of hops they use makes me thirsty.

I also enjoy making my own brew.  I have been using the Brewer's Best kits.  You definitely get your money's worth.  For about $35 you get 45-55 bottles of beer.  I have made the Pale Ale and IPA.  Both were very good.  IPA was more comparable to the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  I have a Nut Brown Ale and a Stout ready to be made at home.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2008 10:10 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



jtj82 wrote:


 

Easton - You got a nice selection on hand.  All I got is some 1554 Black Ale and Schlafly Pale Ale.  I was too lazy to hit the liquor store and the grocery store has very limited selections.  You have some stuff I have not tried before.  I like the Bell's stuff.  I bet you like the Bell's Two Hearted Ale?  I live in IL and I heard Bell's had a distributor problem there...so I can't get it unless I pick some up in STL.

I love the Two Hearted Ale.  There are probably five varietes of Bell's available locally year-round...but they can be very expensive ($10-13 per 6 pack).

Have you tried Founder's Devil Dancer?  I just recently finished off the last of the 4-pack.  That thing is a beast.  It is a triple IPA with 13% ABV.  Huge amounts of flavor.  They dry hop it for 26 straight days with 10 varieties of hops. 

I have not...sounds awesome.  I don't think I have ever even seen it.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

I don't know where you are located...but I am sure you would like the O'Fallon 5-day IPA.  They are located in O'Fallon, MO.  Just thinking about the combination of hops they use makes me thirsty.

I am in Fort Wayne, IN.  I may be in Missouri on business in the next quarter.  If I am, I'll look for some of these.  When I travel on business, I like to pick out a local brewery and bring home a few cases of their good stuff.

I also enjoy making my own brew.  I have been using the Brewer's Best kits.  You definitely get your money's worth.  For about $35 you get 45-55 bottles of beer.  I have made the Pale Ale and IPA.  Both were very good.  IPA was more comparable to the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  I have a Nut Brown Ale and a Stout ready to be made at home.

I have a fancy 5 gallon brew kit at home but I have never used it (I have no idea why).  When I bought it, I picked up the ingredients to make a stout, but they are long since expired.  Perhaps I'll stop by the brewer's supply store and pick up some more ingredients.  A killer home-brewed IPA would rock.




This message was approved by the Easton Eye Test™.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/1/2008 4:23 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



easton714 wrote:

Bass Pale Ale

Mmmmmmmmm... tasty.


You mentioned earlier the American Ale being a stepping stone, well I do believe Bass is what A-B/InBev want people stepping to. 


Anyone else here a fan of pumpkin beer?  I do believe it to be one of if not my favorite style of beer.  Im so glad its Fall and the pumpkin beers are showing up in stores again.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/1/2008 1:35 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


Easton-

I'll have to try the Michelob - if it's halfway decent flavor-wise, you certainly can't beat the price.  Agreed on the Bell's, btw.  One of the perks of living near downtown Columbus is that we have a bar within walking distance that offers around 30 or so different smaller brewery beers. 

On a different note, has anyone out there tried the Patron tequilla-based coffee liqueur?  I was skeptical at first, but it was delicious.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/1/2008 1:39 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



stlfan72 wrote:

On a different note, has anyone out there tried the Patron tequilla-based coffee liqueur?  I was skeptical at first, but it was delicious.

Yes.

It indeed was delicious.  I'm not a tequila fan, but this one I could definitely stomach quite well.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/1/2008 10:20 PM

Re: Budweiser American Ale... 



easton714 wrote: Since we were talking about it before...

I just found a store that had some Budweiser American Ale tonight.  I had been anxiously awaiting the release.  I have really wanted to find a decent, inexpensive mass-produced ale (because I cannot stand the crap made by A-B, Coors, and Miller and because good beer is expensive for everyday inbibing).

Anyways...

First of all, my two six packs were $7.99 each ($16 plus tax for a 12 pack).  That is NOT a good start.  That made it more expensive than Sam Adams, Red Hook, both local breweries, and about two-thirds of other American brewpubs/micros.

Secondly, I was pleasantly suprised to see that the bottles are NOT twist-offs (hinting at at least some bottle conditioning, which is good) and the color is deep amber (but curiously transparent for an ale--I prefer them unfiltered) but, once I poured a glass, the brew just isn't very good.  It is extremely mild...bordering on flavorless...and has almost no evidence whatsoever of the presence of hops in aroma or taste.  Not to sound cliche with regard to mass-produced American beers, but it honestly tastes like a decent ale that was watered down.

I guess I was expecting a better brew for a much cheaper price.  I won't be buying it again (except for maybe in Busch stadium).  This beer should not sell for more than $1 a beer (if they honestly expect it to be successful)...and that is if it was good in the first place.

For the money, Red Hook ESB and a couple varieties of Sam Adams (Boston Ale, Pale Ale, White Ale, Summer Ale, etc.) remain the best of the nationally distributed ales.
If this is the way that you analyze a beer I would hate to be one of your employees.  Right now I'm on a huge Sam Adams Octoberfest kick.  I can't realy bring myself to drink much else.  I did split a pitcher of Fat Tire last weekend with a buddy, but we are still just giddy about the fact that you can even buy it in Memphis now.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/2/2008 12:25 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


I tried it last weekend. I thought it was decent and the price point isnt bad.

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/2/2008 12:29 PM

Re: Budweiser American Ale... 



MtownCardfan wrote:
easton714 wrote: Since we were talking about it before...

I just found a store that had some Budweiser American Ale tonight.  I had been anxiously awaiting the release.  I have really wanted to find a decent, inexpensive mass-produced ale (because I cannot stand the crap made by A-B, Coors, and Miller and because good beer is expensive for everyday inbibing).

Anyways...

First of all, my two six packs were $7.99 each ($16 plus tax for a 12 pack).  That is NOT a good start.  That made it more expensive than Sam Adams, Red Hook, both local breweries, and about two-thirds of other American brewpubs/micros.

Secondly, I was pleasantly suprised to see that the bottles are NOT twist-offs (hinting at at least some bottle conditioning, which is good) and the color is deep amber (but curiously transparent for an ale--I prefer them unfiltered) but, once I poured a glass, the brew just isn't very good.  It is extremely mild...bordering on flavorless...and has almost no evidence whatsoever of the presence of hops in aroma or taste.  Not to sound cliche with regard to mass-produced American beers, but it honestly tastes like a decent ale that was watered down.

I guess I was expecting a better brew for a much cheaper price.  I won't be buying it again (except for maybe in Busch stadium).  This beer should not sell for more than $1 a beer (if they honestly expect it to be successful)...and that is if it was good in the first place.

For the money, Red Hook ESB and a couple varieties of Sam Adams (Boston Ale, Pale Ale, White Ale, Summer Ale, etc.) remain the best of the nationally distributed ales.
If this is the way that you analyze a beer I would hate to be one of your employees.  Right now I'm on a huge Sam Adams Octoberfest kick.  I can't realy bring myself to drink much else.  I did split a pitcher of Fat Tire last weekend with a buddy, but we are still just giddy about the fact that you can even buy it in Memphis now.
Now that Fat Tire is available east of the Mississippi it lost all of its luster. I will say that when I was in a hotel I tried one and it was actually better tasting then what I used to get in California. The lines must have been new or they must have cleaned them out.


I did enjoy the SA Octoberfest but my favorite seasonal is Goose Island X-mas. Havent had that in 5 years

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/3/2008 6:10 PM

Re: Budweiser American Ale... 


Just went to an AWESOME liquor store that recently opened here and it had the best selection of beer I've seen in a long time.

I went with your suggestion Easton and bought Bell's Oberon Ale.  It is a great beer.  I was going to buy some Michelob Dunkel Weisse but it was $7.99 a 6-pack and I wanted better beer for that price.  So I picked a 6 pack with some great Colorado breweries

It's the first place I've found outside of Colorado that sells O'Dells beer.  I love their beer.  Easy Street is a good wheat beer for the wheat lovers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/5/2008 1:36 PM

Re: Budweiser American Ale... 


So, I went to the Augusta Bottoms Beer Festival yesterday in Augusta, Missouri.  For those who can get there you ABSOLUTELY need to go next year.  It's a celebration specifically of Missouri micro-brews and the beer was FANTASTIC.

My favorite beer was the 5-day IPA made by the O'Fallon Brewery from O'Fallon, Missouri.

There was beer for every taste.  Some great smoked stouts and porters, regular stouts and porters, pale ale, IPA, lager, ale, amber ale....it was awesome.

Square One Brewery also makes a fantastic Pale Ale, Boulevard a decent wheat beer (I drank more of it because they filled the glass higher ), and tons more that I honestly can't remember.  If you don't live in Missouri, find a beer fest near you.  It's so worth it to go.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/9/2008 7:46 PM

Re: Budweiser American Ale... 


Easton-

What's the double chocolate stout like?  When I see chocolate, I tend to shy away when there's beer involved.

You're making me thirsty for beer and I cut back to try to keep the calories away.  I tend to like 'em darker.

If you're in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina, stop at the Weeping Radish.  I like their Black Radish.

Gad, I remember drinking generic beer, back when the generic brand existed.  How did I do that?  Thank God, I had friends who started me on Bass and move me to better.

And now I think I need to price flights to England to find some good pub bitters....

Ok.  Off this site now before it's too late.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/10/2008 10:11 AM

Re: Budweiser American Ale... 



Gagliano wrote: Easton-

What's the double chocolate stout like?  When I see chocolate, I tend to shy away when there's beer involved.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout in the nitrogen draft can is superb.  It isn't super chocalatey.  It is basically a nice creamy stout (like a nitro can Guinness) with a hint of cocoa.  It is not sweet, really.

You're making me thirsty for beer and I cut back to try to keep the calories away.  I tend to like 'em darker.

Yep...I like 'em either dark, hoppy, wheat(y?), or some combination of the above.

If you're in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina, stop at the Weeping Radish.  I like their Black Radish.

Will do.

Gad, I remember drinking generic beer, back when the generic brand existed.  How did I do that?  Thank God, I had friends who started me on Bass and move me to better.

I drank nasty cheap beer like Natural Light my first couple of years in college.  Then the school opened a University-owned pub that had really nice feature draft beers like Guinness, Bass, and varieties from the nearest microbrewery (Upland).  We started a tradition of going a couple of nights per week.  I cannot really say this is what started me on good beer, though.  Even in high school I would buy Sam Adams and such.

And now I think I need to price flights to England to find some good pub bitters....

My wife and I always say we are going to vacation to England (she has family there), but we always end up back in the Caribbean a couple of times a year.  I cannot complain...that suits me just fine.




This message was approved by the Easton Eye Test™.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2008 10:05 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


Wow, surprised you have time to post(coherently anyway) here
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2009 9:42 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


A couple of updates...

I think Budweiser American Ale is failing miserably.  One local liquor store is now advertising it for $3.99 per 6 pack (if you buy a full case) and the clerk said A-B had to give a rebate to people who sell it because it has sold so poorly.

Secondly, I FINANLLY found the 2008 Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA.  It is sold in single 12 ounce glass bottles.  The bottles are $12.99 each...and it was the best beer I have ever had.


Has anyone else had anything good recently?

My garage stash has dwindled considerably.  I am down to Guinness, Newcastle, a couple of Bell's, a couple Mad Anthonys, a Unibrouie, some Pilsner Urquell, and some good ole Red Stripe....so I need a re-fill!!!




This message was approved by the Easton Eye Test™.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2009 9:47 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 


OK, a fun game for a Friday...


If you had to choose just three beers that you would be able to drink for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Mine?

1.  Guinness draught (no question),
2.  Mad Anthony's American Red (a local brewery's cross between a red ale and an IPA), and
3.  Pilsner Urquell (you have to have one non-ale, I suppose).


Who's next?




This message was approved by the Easton Eye Test™.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2009 10:41 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



easton714 wrote:

A couple of updates...

I think Budweiser American Ale is failing miserably.  One local liquor store is now advertising it for $3.99 per 6 pack (if you buy a full case) and the clerk said A-B had to give a rebate to people who sell it because it has sold so poorly.

Secondly, I FINANLLY found the 2008 Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA.  It is sold in single 12 ounce glass bottles.  The bottles are $12.99 each...and it was the best beer I have ever had.


Has anyone else had anything good recently?

My garage stash has dwindled considerably.  I am down to Guinness, Newcastle, a couple of Bell's, a couple Mad Anthonys, a Unibrouie, some Pilsner Urquell, and some good ole Red Stripe....so I need a re-fill!!!

When are you gonna invite me over and let me try all these beers I have never even seen in liquor stores before? After you re-stock of course!

Saturday is my birthday, and the plan is to pick up a couple 6 packs. So, along the lines of Easton's listing 3 kinds of beer or whatever, why don't you guys name 3 kinds of beer that I should buy at the liquor store and try that I probably have never tried before.

Keep in mind, if the beer seems really heavy or whatever, I probably won't like it. Killians Irish Red = one of my favorites. MIch amber bock is good.....but starting to lose its luster (tastes watered down) I'd like to find a beer similar to amber bock but with more taste to it. I also like Schlafly pale ale quite a bit. By quite a bit, I mean its one of my favorites, especially if it is on draft. Anybody know if schlafly is available in Indiana? I've not really looked yet.

Drive by......

Expect More!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2009 10:57 AM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



philskill wrote:
easton714 wrote:

A couple of updates...

I think Budweiser American Ale is failing miserably.  One local liquor store is now advertising it for $3.99 per 6 pack (if you buy a full case) and the clerk said A-B had to give a rebate to people who sell it because it has sold so poorly.

Secondly, I FINANLLY found the 2008 Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA.  It is sold in single 12 ounce glass bottles.  The bottles are $12.99 each...and it was the best beer I have ever had.


Has anyone else had anything good recently?

My garage stash has dwindled considerably.  I am down to Guinness, Newcastle, a couple of Bell's, a couple Mad Anthonys, a Unibrouie, some Pilsner Urquell, and some good ole Red Stripe....so I need a re-fill!!!

When are you gonna invite me over and let me try all these beers I have never even seen in liquor stores before? After you re-stock of course!

Saturday is my birthday, and the plan is to pick up a couple 6 packs. So, along the lines of Easton's listing 3 kinds of beer or whatever, why don't you guys name 3 kinds of beer that I should buy at the liquor store and try that I probably have never tried before.

Keep in mind, if the beer seems really heavy or whatever, I probably won't like it. Killians Irish Red = one of my favorites. MIch amber bock is good.....but starting to lose its luster (tastes watered down) I'd like to find a beer similar to amber bock but with more taste to it. I also like Schlafly pale ale quite a bit. By quite a bit, I mean its one of my favorites, especially if it is on draft. Anybody know if schlafly is available in Indiana? I've not really looked yet.

If I had to pick three that would be available at any decent liquor store, I would probably swap out something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the Mad Anthony American Red.

Guinness draught cans and Pilsner Urquell should be available at any decent store.

Red Hook ESB is another solid easy-to-find brew.




This message was approved by the Easton Eye Test™.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2009 12:39 PM

RE: Budweiser American Ale... 



easton714 wrote: OK, a fun game for a Friday...


If you had to choose just three beers that you would be able to drink for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Mine?

1.  Guinness draught (no question),
2.  Mad Anthony's American Red (a local brewery's cross between a red ale and an IPA), and
3.  Pilsner Urquell (you have to have one non-ale, I suppose).


Who's next?

1) New Belgium's 1554
2) O'Fallon's 5 Day IPA
3) Guiness draught


And as for new beers, for people who like IPA I tried one from a brewery in South Carolina recently called Thomas Creek.  It's called "Class Five IPA."  It's pretty good, not the best I've had, but I would definitely drink it again.

I also tried beer from a brewery in California called Lagunitas.  Stay away from their IPA.  It tastes nothing like a normal IPA, not nearly as bitter or hopppy.


EDIT:  Easton, you've also gotten me into Bells Oberon.  I love that beer!  That is quickly climbing up my list.  Bells Amber is very good also.  I haven't gotten a chance yet to try their other beers, but I am stoked to try the rest (especially their Pale Ale - if you can't tell, I'm on a pale ale, IPA kick).

Last edited 1/16/2009 12:41 PM by kotheb

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 8  Next >