Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Post New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 99  Next >

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013

Avatar

Posted: 1/23/2013 2:36 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


And Joey Bombs receives an NRI to Phillies camp.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Avatar

Posted: 1/23/2013 10:15 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


A team that has good outfield depth and could possibly move one is San Diego. A guy i love and has been in a reserve role holding pattern there is Chris Denorfia. Very underated player can get on base, runs well and is a very good defender. Oh yeah, he hits right handed even. Padres are stacked with good outfielders and prospects but i am not sure where they like to upgrade but pitching is always in vogue. I have to wonder what Josh Byrnes thinks of Ryan Jackson? I think Jackson will be traded regardless unless he comes to ST and changes some minds with great play. Jackson alone probably is not going to do it but i think Jackson plus a Blair or Gorgen maybe gets it done. I think CD would be a great pickup if they can make a trade work out. I suspect that Byrnes is going to want a lot for him though as i think the secret is already out on Denorfia.

GO CARDS!
Avatar

Posted: 1/24/2013 2:12 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Maybin didnt exactly tear it up last season after getting a huge raise. I'd keep Denorfia if I'm the Padres for insurance in case Maybin tanks again. Plus Quintin can be dealt at any time.

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Avatar

Posted: 1/24/2013 3:02 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Looks like Arizona has finally traded Justin Upton. He goes to Atlanta with Chris Johnson for Randall Delgado, Martin Prado and 3 prospects. With Atl, Wash and Philly all improving significantly that East division should be a real dogfight next season. I wonder if this fact changes Cards urgency to improve also?

GO CARDS!

Posted: 1/25/2013 7:44 AM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


The Braves lost Prado, Bourn, and Chipper Jones as well as Delgado. I don't know how much they improved. The Uptons alone don't replace that production and I'm sure they are praying McCann gets back to where he was.

The Phillies don't seem much better either in my eyes.  Ruiz was their best player last year and he is suspended for PEDs and is older along with half their roster.

The Nationals are better, but were trending upward anyway.

Posted: 1/25/2013 9:32 AM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


With three good teams in the east, the Dodgers and Giants in the west and the Cardinals doing nothing to improve it will have to be the division title or no playoffs this year.
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 11:25 AM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 



I think Nate took care of what you needed answering.

I think the management always thinks that the division is always within reach and that's the goal. You are correct to be concerned with the other teams making improvements. Its never wrong to ask what the team did to improve the club over the previous season. Exception being 2004-2005 where you came off a 105 win season. You couldn't do much to improve on that.
---------------------------------------------
--- cardinalnationhouston wrote:

Looks like Arizona has finally traded Justin Upton. He goes to Atlanta with Chris Johnson for Randall Delgado, Martin Prado and 3 prospects. With Atl, Wash and Philly all improving significantly that East division should be a real dogfight next season. I wonder if this fact changes Cards urgency to improve also?

---------------------------------------------

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 1:38 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Here's some Elvis Andrus news I took from Shutdowninning.com via mlbtraderumors.

http://shutdowninning.com/5/po...-manifesto.html

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Posted: 1/25/2013 2:43 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 



619illinibooyah wrote:
I think Nate took care of what you needed answering.

I think the management always thinks that the division is always within reach and that's the goal. You are correct to be concerned with the other teams making improvements. Its never wrong to ask what the team did to improve the club over the previous season. Exception being 2004-2005 where you came off a 105 win season. You couldn't do much to improve on that.
---------------------------------------------
--- cardinalnationhouston wrote:

Looks like Arizona has finally traded Justin Upton. He goes to Atlanta with Chris Johnson for Randall Delgado, Martin Prado and 3 prospects. With Atl, Wash and Philly all improving significantly that East division should be a real dogfight next season. I wonder if this fact changes Cards urgency to improve also?

---------------------------------------------

 


Except he didn't.  Two of the NL East teams are worse than in 2012, like I said. 

Posted: 1/25/2013 3:11 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


My point made in WAR:

 

This off-season, the Braves lost Bourn (6.4 WAR), Prado (5.9 WAR) and Chipper Jones (3.0 WAR).

They're replacing those three with B.J. Upton (3.3WAR), Justin Upton (2.5 WAR), Juan Francisco (0.8 WAR) and Chris Johnson (0.8 WAR).

That's a loss of 15.3 WAR, and a gain of 7.4 WAR.

 

Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 3:45 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 



PadsFS wrote:
619illinibooyah wrote:
I think Nate took care of what you needed answering.

I think the management always thinks that the division is always within reach and that's the goal. You are correct to be concerned with the other teams making improvements. Its never wrong to ask what the team did to improve the club over the previous season. Exception being 2004-2005 where you came off a 105 win season. You couldn't do much to improve on that.
---------------------------------------------
--- cardinalnationhouston wrote:

Looks like Arizona has finally traded Justin Upton. He goes to Atlanta with Chris Johnson for Randall Delgado, Martin Prado and 3 prospects. With Atl, Wash and Philly all improving significantly that East division should be a real dogfight next season. I wonder if this fact changes Cards urgency to improve also?

---------------------------------------------

 


Except he didn't.  Two of the NL East teams are worse than in 2012, like I said. 

While i do agree that Washington was the clear winner this off season i think the other two improved as well. I would not look past Atlanta with the Upton brothers finally playing together. I think they will both get bettter and putting them with Hayward, Freeman and Uggla my guess is the Braves could be a handful. The addition of Mike Adams for Philly i think is big as well. It shores up a pen that was a little weak last year. John Lannan is a better pitcher than given credit for as well and is a swingman. The Young brothers wink can both really hit and Ben Revere gives them a nice player in centerfield. War may not agree but i can't help but think that division is going to be a beast next year.

GO CARDS!

Posted: 1/25/2013 9:39 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Washington was the clear winner during the 'on' season last year, too....and they have only gotten better. Atlanta will contend next year. They have their usual quality pitching and they've gotten younger.

Mozeliak said recently that there was a 50% chance of a trade before the end of ST. I wonder what he's was thinking of. We could use a RH hitting outfielder like Denorfia, but I don't think that's going to happen. They tried to find a RH pinch hitter this off season and the only thing they could come up with is Ty Wigginton.

I don't understand why we haven't acquired either Profar or Andrus from Texas.
Texas needs pitching, and St. Louis is supposedly willing to trade Shelby Miller for one of them. It doesn't make sense unless Texas is just pouting because we beat them in 2011.

Posted: 1/25/2013 10:46 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 



PadsFS wrote:

My point made in WAR:

 

This off-season, the Braves lost Bourn (6.4 WAR), Prado (5.9 WAR) and Chipper Jones (3.0 WAR).

They're replacing those three with B.J. Upton (3.3WAR), Justin Upton (2.5 WAR), Juan Francisco (0.8 WAR) and Chris Johnson (0.8 WAR).

That's a loss of 15.3 WAR, and a gain of 7.4 WAR.

 

I'm not a big fan of the Upton Brothers, but I wouldn't be surprised if their combined 2013 WAR doubles their combined 2012 WAR.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Braves muster as much offense as they did last year... and win 90+ games again.

Posted: 1/27/2013 3:55 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Here's a nice piece written by Dan Moore for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2013/1/15/3877206/st-l ouis-cardinals-mitch-harris-navy

Could this be a case of the 'rich getting richer'? Sure hope so. I wonder how many players over the years started their careers at the ripe, old age of 27, and succeeded in making it to the bigs. Hopefully, he found ways to develop himself while still serving our country.

Edit - I fixed the link, but it isn't as easy to use as the one 5129 posted next on this thread.

Last edited 1/27/2013 8:06 PM by mudville

Avatar

Posted: 1/27/2013 4:40 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


That link is broken (space in-between l and ouis)

Here it is

Posted: 1/27/2013 7:54 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Thank you!
Avatar

Posted: 1/27/2013 11:09 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


mudville (and other subscribers), in case you missed it, I have written a number of articles about Harris over the years. The most recent one was this article in December, when I wrote about him reporting to camp in the spring. I included a photo of Harris pitching that I took at extended spring training.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Posted: 1/27/2013 11:44 PM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


Brian,

I knew about your last article and I wanted to reference it in my post but didn't remember where it was. The search engine on this site didn't work for me. Also, I'm pretty sure there was a Mitch Harris thread and I wanted to frreshen it up by adding my post there, but I did not know how to find it. The search engine didn't work for me on that either. The reason I said something about it now is that I know he's already in Florida and I had a couple thoughts on it that I felt like posting. Thanks for everything you've given us so far on this, and thanks in advance for the things you've got coming.
Avatar

Posted: 1/28/2013 6:50 AM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 


You are right. The search engine on this site has always been awful. I have been told the new site will be better, but that remains to be seen.

Here is a tip that should help in the interim. As you were not the first to experience this problem, I created a thread pinned to the top of this forum called "How to find Cardinals major/minor leaguers" Harris' player page is currently linked off the Gulf Coast Cardinals League team roster.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Posted: 1/28/2013 8:39 AM

Re: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors - 2012-2013 



Domeboys wrote: You are right. The search engine on this site has always been awful. I have been told the new site will be better, but that remains to be seen.

Here is a tip that should help in the interim. As you were not the first to experience this problem, I created a thread pinned to the top of this forum called "How to find Cardinals major/minor leaguers" Harris' player page is currently linked off the Gulf Coast Cardinals League team roster.

I hope that never happens!

Seriously though, if anyone ever wants to find anything, just post in google:

site:mbd.scout.com and type whatever you want to find.

"Site:" restricts the google search to just whatever site you follow it with.
Post New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 99  Next >