Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25

Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 9:11 AM

2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


John Lackey (12-8, 3.88) vs. Francisco Liriano (3-10, 4.18) 6:05 p.m. CT, FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX.

Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 8/25/2014 9:11 AM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:18 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Looks like Liriano has been terrible this year, but how has he fared as of late?

The only good thing about this series is that Milwaukee starts a west coast trip.  San Diego and then San Francisco.  Hopefully the Padres can duplicate what they did to us and the Reds when we were out there.

This series worries me.  The Pirates have a chance to make some hay here.  Its the dog days of summer and we cant afford to get swept in Pittsburgh.

Rat
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:23 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 



RatsBuddy wrote: Looks like Liriano has been terrible this year, but how has he fared as of late?


Here's the link.  You can look it up yourself.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:41 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 



RatsBuddy wrote: This series worries me.  The Pirates have a chance to make some hay here.  Its the dog days of summer and we cant afford to get swept in Pittsburgh.
Do y'all remember our big trip to Pittsburgh late last summer? It was a five game series. We arrived in Pittsburgh with a 1.5 game division lead and we left with a 1.5 game deficit. The series started off with Pittsburgh taking a 4-0 lead before Jake Westbrook even recorded an out and it stayed ugly until the last game of the series where we exploded for a 13-0 win.

Despite the disaster in Pittsburgh we then went to Cincinnati to outscore the Reds 31-13 over three games. If you count the last Pittsburgh game we had outscored the two other division contenders by a total of 44-13. We also still managed to win the division despite that nightmare in Steel City, which really had left me gutted and hopeless at the time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:49 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 



DMENS wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: This series worries me.  The Pirates have a chance to make some hay here.  Its the dog days of summer and we cant afford to get swept in Pittsburgh.
Do y'all remember our big trip to Pittsburgh late last summer? It was a five game series. We arrived in Pittsburgh with a 1.5 game division lead and we left with a 1.5 game deficit. The series started off with Pittsburgh taking a 4-0 lead before Jake Westbrook even recorded an out and it stayed ugly until the last game of the series where we exploded for a 13-0 win.

Despite the disaster in Pittsburgh we then went to Cincinnati to outscore the Reds 31-13 over three games. If you count the last Pittsburgh game we had outscored the two other division contenders by a total of 44-13. We also still managed to win the division despite that nightmare in Steel City, which really had left me gutted and hopeless at the time.



I'm pretty sure from May on, in RatsBuddy's mind, every series the Cards play is the most important series they will play, even if there is over a month (now) left in the year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:53 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 



RatsBuddy wrote: Looks like Liriano has been terrible this year, but how has he fared as of late?

The only good thing about this series is that Milwaukee starts a west coast trip.  San Diego and then San Francisco.  Hopefully the Padres can duplicate what they did to us and the Reds when we were out there.

This series worries me.  The Pirates have a chance to make some hay here.  Its the dog days of summer and we cant afford to get swept in Pittsburgh.

Rat
Maybe you should just relax and watch some I Dream of Genie episodes to help calm your nerves!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:54 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Liriano's overall numbers look bad, but take a look at a few of these splits:

5.23 ERA on the road / 2.96 ERA at home (all season)
4.72 ERA first half of season / 3.21 ERA second half of season

The Cards have hit just .219/.303/.338/.641 in Pittsburgh this year, where we are 2-4 to date. Only at Dodger Stadium has the offense looked worse (not counting Tampa, where we just played twice). And we all know about Liriano's history; he is 4-1 with a 2.25 ERA against St. Louis.

However, after posting a 1.96 ERA in July Liriano has posted a 5.09 ERA in August. And he is 0-1 with a 4.85 ERA in three starts against us this year. He has been much better lately though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong performance. I am excited to see Lackey pitch again and I think today is a compelling matchup to kick off what should be a fun series.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 3:19 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


It seems to me that Matheny really, really favors matchups when making out a lineup.

I think that's where his thinking is most days.

Likely it's:

1) Matchups
2) Who's Hot!
3) Experience
4) Handedness

Last edited 8/25/2014 3:22 PM by PadsFS

Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/25/2014 3:39 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


1.3B: Matt Carpenter
2.CF: Peter Bourjos
3.LF: Matt Holliday
4.1B: Matt Adams
5.SS: Jhonny Peralta
6.RF: Oscar Taveras
7.2B: Kolten Wong
8.C: Tony Cruz
9.SP: John Lackey
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 5:58 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


On a related note, the prize rookie Polanco of the Pirates has been demoted as a result of his struggles.  I believe he's about like Oscar in that he's getting his feet wet and we'll see big things from him starting next year.

Rat
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 7:04 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 



RatsBuddy wrote: On a related note, the prize rookie Polanco of the Pirates has been demoted as a result of his struggles.  I believe he's about like Oscar in that he's getting his feet wet and we'll see big things from him starting next year.

Rat
I agree.

Bucs up 1-0 T4th.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 8/25/2014 7:05 PM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 7:12 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Are any of our hitters trying?????

Geez, boys, at least look like you have a little life and intensity in that batters box.  They look like they don't even care?????

If this was a basketball game at this point I would take all five starters out and put in five others.  That's how lifeless they seem to me.

Rat
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 7:49 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Why is Taveras in the lineup instead of Jay? Once again, Cards are making a pitcher having a putrid year look like a Cy Young candidate.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:05 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Wong gets picked off. Then Cruz gets a single.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:11 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Jay is the man!

Last edited 8/25/2014 8:13 PM by MAP315

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:11 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 



ageelaw wrote: Why is Taveras in the lineup instead of Jay? Once again, Cards are making a pitcher having a putrid year look like a Cy Young candidate.
The other guys are a good team, too. Yes, Liriano had a terrible first half. Since the break and including tonight, he has a 2.81 ERA. That is far better than every Cardinals starter not named Lance Lynn.

As soon as the Cards got into the Bucs pen, they broke out.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 8/25/2014 8:16 PM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:12 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Holliday! 3-1!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:17 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Game had a bad feeling about it, then especially so when Wong got picked off. Glad to see the guys keep chopping though, and string a few together in the 7th. Some clutch two-out damage.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:24 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Lackey also has done a good job hanging in there. It is what he does.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:31 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #130: Cards at Bucs: Mon 8/25 


Lackey has been very good tonight. I think maybe Taveras should have a couple of days off and play an outfield or Holliday, Bourjos, and Jay for the next couple of games. I would like to see Jay bat second.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >