Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17

Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:32 PM

2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Adam Wainwright (14-7, 2.34) vs. Odrisamer Despaigne (3-3, 2.72). 1:15 PM CT. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 8/13/2014 11:35 PM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 10:27 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


After that pitiful showing last night Wainwright really needs to show up.  Plus we lost a game to Milwaukee as they beat Kershaw.  I was at the casino last night tuning in from time to time but at 10:00 est they switched to other programming so I missed the rest of the game.

Anyway, whats the weather like in St. Louis today?  Still raining here in SW Indiana and its supposed to continue until around Tuesday.

Rat
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 10:34 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Overcast.  Drizzle from time to time.  A lot like yesterday.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 10:52 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Lineup: Carpenter, Wong, Peralta, Adams, Jay 7, Taveras, Bourjos, Cruz, Wainwright.

Day off for Holliday.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 11:33 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


I really hope Borjous puts up a better showing than he did on the 14th.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:01 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Martinez went 2.1 IP Friday, so is he available today?  Or should I say would it be a good idea to use him today?  Hopefully the need will not come up.

As to Siegrist, i suspect his forearm problem is still a problem.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:11 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


As I suggested on the Martinez thread, I would have waited until Monday to recall Martinez, giving him an extra day's rest, and called up Cooney (today's Memphis starter) instead for today's game, giving Waino an extra day's rest and saving him for Cincinnati tomorrow.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:55 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Up 5-0 with Waino dealing. However, not ready to go to cruise control as of yet!pirate
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:02 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 



Jmodene1 wrote: As I suggested on the Martinez thread, I would have waited until Monday to recall Martinez, giving him an extra day's rest, and called up Cooney (today's Memphis starter) instead for today's game, giving Waino an extra day's rest and saving him for Cincinnati tomorrow.
I we have rookie pitcher fatigue.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:56 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Hope Adam has a good comeback in the sixth after surrendering two in the fifth. We really need two more innings out of him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:02 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Two more runs for SD off Wainwright--one a gift by Wong. What's the deal, we can't hold 5-run leads against the worst offense in MLB?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:03 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


This team is a joke sometimes and other times they look good.  Now the Padres are back in it and we risk losing another game after a big lead.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:14 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


What is Matheny doing? Why leave Wainwright in at this point. You have two guys on, one out and the top of the order about to come up. Wainwright has labored through the last two innings, allowing four runs and getting his pitch count up in the process. It's the bottom of the sixth. TRY TO SCORE SOME RUNS.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:17 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


More breathing room. Carp drives in two with a clutch 2-out double. Now 7-4.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:19 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Matty Carp makes it work, but I still question the move, especially since it now means Wainwright is heading back out there for the seventh.

I do think this is yet another opportunity to also wonder why Matheny isn't trying to figure out ways to get Carpenter more RBI chances. The guy is easily the team's best hitter.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:23 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 



KylMss wrote: What is Matheny doing? Why leave Wainwright in at this point. You have two guys on, one out and the top of the order about to come up. Wainwright has labored through the last two innings, allowing four runs and getting his pitch count up in the process. It's the bottom of the sixth. TRY TO SCORE SOME RUNS.
I don't often agree with MM but I do this time. We needed Waino more for the 7th than another run.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:37 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


If he had been pitching well, I would have completely agreed with keeping him in. Matheny made the correct move. Waino locked down and worked a spotless seventh. He made the right managerial move. My preference to go to the bullpen and use a pinch hitter was based more on Adam's recent struggles, his raising pitch count and him laboring through the previous two innings. I'm starting to wonder if he's beginning to tire from a long season. He just hasn't been quite as sharp lately, at least compared to what he typically is.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:41 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Choate is really wearing his welcome out.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:47 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 


Neshek cleans up the 7th. Will Matheny use him in the 8th?

Edit, oops lost track.  We're in better shape than I thought, Neshek finished the 8th, not the 7th.  Just need Rosenthal to hammer down the final three nails.

Last edited 8/17/2014 3:49 PM by EuroWolf

Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3814 posts this site

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:55 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #123: Cards vs. Padres: Sun 8/17 



KylMss wrote: If he had been pitching well, I would have completely agreed with keeping him in. Matheny made the correct move. Waino locked down and worked a spotless seventh. He made the right managerial move. My preference to go to the bullpen and use a pinch hitter was based more on Adam's recent struggles, his raising pitch count and him laboring through the previous two innings. I'm starting to wonder if he's beginning to tire from a long season. He just hasn't been quite as sharp lately, at least compared to what he typically is.
He was pitching well. You set up Carpenter to do what he does best and he did. Not having to use  the bullpen in the 7th was the most important key to the game. Like I said I don't often agree with MM but this was the right decision in my opinion.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >