Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 12:01 AM

2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


Adam Wainwright (12‐4, 1.83) vs. Jake Odorizzi (5‐8, 4.01). 7:15 PM CT. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:17 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


A tough two game series with the Rays playing well and just about back in contention after the dismal start.  Hopefully the day off will save our bullpen, get them a little extra rest.  Wainwright needs to step up and get us off to a good start here.

Rat
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 6:41 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:13 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/22/2014 2:00 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


Let's hope he doesn't get sent to Louisville rat?

I was hoping he would hit upon his recall but he hasn't really produced. We may want to consider adding another outfielder to the mix.
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 6:28 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
Does him ZERO good to sit and not play...so say sit till he hits is stupid comment at best
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat

Good lord man .... rolleyes
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:10 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


Don't fret too much guys, a few folks have already annointed Taveras as baseball's next superstar, untouchable in a trade that might produce another pennant for the Birds this year. The list of "can't miss" superstars is lengthy and long in baseball history. Right now, he has shown nothing to indicate that he will be a consistent hitter in the majors.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:21 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


TCR you like to call other people on here stupid, yet you can't even spell right or form an intelligent sentence in half your posts.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3890 posts this site

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:46 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
I know you hate metrics....but PB has a higher WAR than Jay. The difference in defensive value is not even close...yet with the offensive value the gap is much smaller. PB should be playing center.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 11:29 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



ageelaw wrote: Don't fret too much guys, a few folks have already annointed Taveras as baseball's next superstar, untouchable in a trade that might produce another pennant for the Birds this year. The list of "can't miss" superstars is lengthy and long in baseball history. Right now, he has shown nothing to indicate that he will be a consistent hitter in the majors.



You might be the most right-here, right-now, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately person I've ever encountered.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 11:43 AM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



MAP315 wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
I know you hate metrics....but PB has a higher WAR than Jay. The difference in defensive value is not even close...yet with the offensive value the gap is much smaller. PB should be playing center.
You think coming off the bench is the role where Bourjos is at his best?
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3890 posts this site

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:08 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



MagnoliaCardFan wrote:
MAP315 wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
I know you hate metrics....but PB has a higher WAR than Jay. The difference in defensive value is not even close...yet with the offensive value the gap is much smaller. PB should be playing center.
You think coming off the bench is the role where Bourjos is at his best?
No. He is an above avg fielder he should be playing most days. Jay's playing time should not be in CF.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 12:19 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 


Langosch had an article about our improved defense and said this about CF.


CENTER FIELD
2014: 7 DRS (5th), 8.1 UZR (4th)
Team's primary player: Peter Bourjos (5 DRS, 4.5 UZR over 65 games)
2013: -5 DRS (10th), -5.2 UZR (10th)
Team's primary player: Jon Jay (-10 DRS, -7.3 UZR over 152 games)
Though Jay has earned the bulk of the center field starts recently, Bourjos has still covered more innings there than anyone. Bourjos has been a boost defensively, as the Cardinals anticipated he would be upon acquiring him via trade last fall. He's lost playing time, though, because of his bat. After a step back defensively in 2013, Jay has not been a defensive liability this year.


I can't link the article, but all the positions are discussed.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 1:05 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



PadsFS wrote: Langosch had an article about our improved defense and said this about CF.


CENTER FIELD
2014: 7 DRS (5th), 8.1 UZR (4th)
Team's primary player: Peter Bourjos (5 DRS, 4.5 UZR over 65 games)
2013: -5 DRS (10th), -5.2 UZR (10th)
Team's primary player: Jon Jay (-10 DRS, -7.3 UZR over 152 games)
Though Jay has earned the bulk of the center field starts recently, Bourjos has still covered more innings there than anyone. Bourjos has been a boost defensively, as the Cardinals anticipated he would be upon acquiring him via trade last fall. He's lost playing time, though, because of his bat. After a step back defensively in 2013, Jay has not been a defensive liability this year.


I can't link the article, but all the positions are discussed.
Here is the link.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 1:06 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



MAP315 wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
I know you hate metrics....but PB has a higher WAR than Jay. The difference in defensive value is not even close...yet with the offensive value the gap is much smaller. PB should be playing center.
PB should be included in any trade we make and hopefully he will.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3890 posts this site

Posted: 7/22/2014 1:42 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



nathanleopoldjr wrote:
MAP315 wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
I know you hate metrics....but PB has a higher WAR than Jay. The difference in defensive value is not even close...yet with the offensive value the gap is much smaller. PB should be playing center.
PB should be included in any trade we make and hopefully he will.
We finally have an excellent defensive CF and you want to trade him? why?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 2:16 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



PadsFS wrote:
ageelaw wrote: Don't fret too much guys, a few folks have already annointed Taveras as baseball's next superstar, untouchable in a trade that might produce another pennant for the Birds this year. The list of "can't miss" superstars is lengthy and long in baseball history. Right now, he has shown nothing to indicate that he will be a consistent hitter in the majors.



You might be the most right-here, right-now, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately person I've ever encountered.
Ah, so sorry honorable wait and see san! Please forgive indiscretion. Am sure your crystal ball will tell us that Taveras will be the league MVP by 2016.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 2:55 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



ageelaw wrote: Ah, so sorry honorable wait and see san! Please forgive indiscretion. Am sure your crystal ball will tell us that Taveras will be the league MVP by 2016.



Haha. I probably deserved that. Went to a Jimmy Buffett concert last night so I am hurting today. Snark in full effect, lol.

I do question why you think Taveras hasn't shown anything based on 80 at-bats. Think of all our most recent young guys. How'd Craig, Carpenter, Adams, & Wong do in their first 100 at-bats?

Someone wished Taveras had came up and hit like gangbusters like Polanco of the Pirates...well, how's that working out for them now? Not nearly as good.

Just give Taveras some time. Martinez too.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09 PM

Re: 2014 MLB game #100: Cards vs. Rays: Tue 7/22 



TCRedbird wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
RatsBuddy wrote: Oh, and by the way, hows come Taveras hasn't been playing as of late?  Did he get sent back down to Louisville again?

Rat
Could have something to do with this slash line. .226/.266/.492 or a .190 BA with 4 XBH in 79 AB's. The kid is still learning so no big deal but with the offense slumping all year and the fact he hasn't exactly torn em up it is not hard to understand. Not bagging on the kid but don't you think he should earn a starting position rather than just being handed it when he is not playing well? Same goes for Bourjos by the way. This team doesn't just hand jobs out to the guys we want to see, they have to earn it especially when you are the new guy (OT and PB). Jay has quite simply outhit them both and by a pretty good piece too. Chicks might dig the long ball but i don't know a single kid that doesn't love PB and Jay. Taveras sits until he  hits. bored1bored1bored1
Does him ZERO good to sit and not play...so say sit till he hits is stupid comment at best
It is not about doing Taveras good TC it is about doing the Cardinals good. I get a kick out of the double standards here. When Tyler Green came up and didn't hit there were many posters here than wanted him run right out of town. I guess small sample size only goes for certain players.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >