Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Minor league thread: Tue 6/17

Avatar

Posted: 6/17/2014 8:31 AM

Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Memphis at Salt Lake: Zach Petrick

Springfield at Tulsa: Kurt Heyer

Palm Beach vs. Jupiter: Thomas Lee

Peoria: MWL All-Star Game

State College vs. Batavia: Luis Perdomo

DSL Cards vs. Nationals

Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/17/2014 12:25 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


I know it is early but Justin Ringo is off to a good start for the Chiefs, ops 1.327 (only 38 at bats so far)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats...ue&sid=t443

Chiefs missed clinching a playoff spot for the first half by one game.

Kaminsky has been good so far this year.  My guess is that he will be the next one to go up to Palm Beach, but I don't know.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/17/2014 12:29 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


7 Chiefs are on the MW All Star team for the game tonight.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/...52/10961/SPORTS
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/17/2014 3:45 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Lotta info on the Chiefs, first half, all-stars, etc. in the weekly Chiefs Notebook posted on the home page this morning for subscribers. Ringo is the photo and hottest player currently.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 6:20 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Tyrell Jenkins with the start for PB!
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3621 posts this site

Posted: 6/17/2014 6:46 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



CariocaCardinal wrote: Tyrell Jenkins with the start for PB!
So far 5 innings no hits 2 BB 3 K's
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 7:19 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



MAP315 wrote:
CariocaCardinal wrote: Tyrell Jenkins with the start for PB!
So far 5 innings no hits 2 BB 3 K's

No-hitter through 6!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 7:43 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Rowan Wick with 5 home runs in the first 5 games of the season. Spikes leading 6-0
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 8:46 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



SoonerinNC wrote: Rowan Wick with 5 home runs in the first 5 games of the season. Spikes leading 6-0

Nice! Let's keep an eye on Wick's stick......I meant that in a harmless manner.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/17/2014 8:47 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Memphis rained out. DH Wednesday.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 9:18 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



SoonerinNC wrote: Rowan Wick with 5 home runs in the first 5 games of the season. Spikes leading 6-0
Wick doing a Gallo impression. Certainly wouldn't mind that kind of power in an organization that is lackluster with it.

Last edited 6/17/2014 9:29 PM by DTFlush234

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 9:55 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


If Wick turns into a Gallo that would be great.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 9:58 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Clean sweep with the big team's win over the Mets.

Big nights by Jenkins (6 hitless innings)
Tuivalala 4 K's, 0 hits, 1 BB in 2 innings
Wick 3 hits with a homer
4 hits each by Ramsey and Breyvic Valera
Shutouts by State College and Palm Beach

Last edited 6/17/2014 9:59 PM by SoonerinNC

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 10:22 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Wisdom also went yard for the eighth time this season. Should be mentioned more often with home runs on this thread but unfortunately the third baseman has yet to fully utilize his raw power potential. Good to see that the average is above .230 again. Like to see above .250 but I don't see it with his weak contact ability. For a third baseman who hits for a good amount of power but hits around .230 and strikeouts as much as Xavier Scruggs did in Double-A and is prone to at times silly errors at third on the plays that should be made.

He sure has the talent to be our next third baseman but I don't think he'll ever hit enough to be a regular player unless a significant cut is made on his strikeouts. But I talk to a scout last year about high-strikeout totals for a Double-A player and he said if the player strikeouts a lot at Double-A a level where pitcher are still developing control the strikeouts will only stockpile at the levels ahead. I'm gonna have to ask one of the scouts next time I attend a game of how he thinks Wisdom's progression has gone from the start of the season to now or better yet the newly-hired fourth coach.

Last edited 6/17/2014 10:37 PM by DTFlush234

Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3621 posts this site

Posted: 6/17/2014 10:24 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



DTFlush234 wrote: Wisdom also went yard for the eighth time this season. Should be mentioned more often with home runs on this thread but unfortunately the third baseman has yet to fully utilize his raw power potential. Good to see that the average is above .230 again. Like to see above .250 but I don't see it with his weak contact ability.
He has 17 errors.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 10:29 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



SoonerinNC wrote: Clean sweep with the big team's win over the Mets.

Big nights by Jenkins (6 hitless innings)
Tuivalala 4 K's, 0 hits, 1 BB in 2 innings
Wick (6-3/220, 2.031 OPS) 3 hits with a homer
4 hits each by Ramsey and Breyvic Valera ...and Luke Voit (6-3/225) of Palm Beach raising his BA to .356 over 100 PA's
Shutouts by State College and Palm Beach
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/17/2014 10:31 PM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



MAP315 wrote:
DTFlush234 wrote: Wisdom also went yard for the eighth time this season. Should be mentioned more often with home runs on this thread but unfortunately the third baseman has yet to fully utilize his raw power potential. Good to see that the average is above .230 again. Like to see above .250 but I don't see it with his weak contact ability.
He has 17 errors.
Read edited version.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 8:18 AM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 



DTFlush234 wrote:  But I talk to a scout last year about high-strikeout totals for a Double-A player and he said if the player strikeouts a lot at Double-A a level where pitcher are still developing control the strikeouts will only stockpile at the levels ahead.


One only needs to look at the Cubs prospects to see that.

The latest victim to their own circumstances is Javier Baez - 28.8% K% in AA (.984 OPS) --> 34.4% in AAA (.697 OPS)

Others include

Brett Jackson - 24.9% K% in AA (.816 OPS) plus a 29.8% K% in AAA (.939 OPS, 2011) --> 41.5% K% in MLB (.645 OPS)

Mike Olt - 23.8% K% in AA (.987 OPS) --> 36.7% K% in MLB (.604 OPS)

Doesn't really bode all that well for Kris Bryant, who is currently sporting a 25.9% K% in AA. (1.160 OPS) His OPS has quite a ways to fall for him to not be productive though.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 8:25 AM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


One thing I think our organization does well is work with the hitters on reducing those K% rates early on.

Looking at James Ramsey, he had a 26% K% in AA last year (.780 OPS) and with him repeating AA this year, he has cut his K% down to 20.5% while seeing some marked improvement in OPS (.963)

I don't think Aledmys Diaz is going anywhere anytime soon, unless he reigns in that 23.1% K-rate he has paired with a 1.1% BB-rate. Diaz also has to get healthy too obviously.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 8:44 AM

Re: Minor league thread: Tue 6/17 


Good point Pads--thank you.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >