Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

NLDS Roster thread

Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 6:47 PM

NLDS Roster thread 


You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:00 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 


I think you have to go with a 4 man rotation unless you want Wainwright starting on only 3 days rest. Games are:

Thurs & Friday - off day Sat. - Sun & Mon - off day Tuesday - game 5 Wed. the 9th

I guess you could just sweep in 3 games and ensure only needing 3 starters in the first round, but otherwise we will see 4 guys in the rotation.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:05 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



VegasjJim wrote: I think you have to go with a 4 man rotation unless you want Wainwright starting on only 3 days rest. Games are:

Thurs & Friday - off day Sat. - Sun & Mon - off day Tuesday - game 5 Wed. the 9th

I guess you could just sweep in 3 games and ensure only needing 3 starters in the first round, but otherwise we will see 4 guys in the rotation.
I guess that would be better, though I think Waino could do it on 3 days rest.

Either of Wacha or Kelly would work for the 4th SP.  I imagine Kelly would get the nod because of experience.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:12 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 


The decision between Freeman and Mujica may come down to whether we play the Reds or the Pirates. A third lefty could be most useful against those Cincinnati lefty batters.

I, too, think they will go with four starters, although it may be closer to 4 1/2, the way it may shake out - I'm still giving some thought to this, and will write more when I get home, but I'll suggest right now that with HFA, Wainwright and Miller are locks to pitch games 1 and 2 of the NLDS, and also the NLCS, unless Waino is needed for an NLDS Game 5. That Game 5, in St. Louis, would be on October 9, meaning Wainwright would not be able to start until Game 3 of the NLCS.

Better we win the first round in 4.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:15 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



Jmodene1 wrote: The decision between Freeman and Mujica may come down to whether we play the Reds or the Pirates. A third lefty could be most useful against those Cincinnati lefty batters.

I, too, think they will go with four starters, although it may be closer to 4 1/2, the way it may shake out - I'm still giving some thought to this, and will write more when I get home, but I'll suggest right now that with HFA, Wainwright and Miller are locks to pitch games 1 and 2 of the NLDS, and also the NLCS, unless Waino is needed for an NLDS Game 5. That Game 5, in St. Louis, would be on October 9, meaning Wainwright would not be able to start until Game 3 of the NLCS.

Better we win the first round in 4.
I've seen enough of Mujica to know that I don't want Mujica on the roster, no matter who we play.  I hate to feel that way, because Mujica was a godsend for us when Motte went down, but man he just looks terrible now.  I think he is injured.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:17 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 


Anybody know about TV coverage for the Rangers/Rays tie breaker tomorrow night?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:18 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



blingboy wrote: Anybody know about TV coverage for the Rangers/Rays tie breaker tomorrow night?
TBS.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3778 posts this site

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:25 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



crdswmn wrote: You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.
I like it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:46 PM

RE: NLDS Roster thread 


This isn't as hard as it might've seemed. Agree with most that's been said. Of the debatable points mentioned, I'd go with Freeman over Mujica and would not pitch Wainwright on 3-days rest, i.e, plan on four starters. Of the five starters available, Wacha would be the one I'd hold out for pen duty. Lynn edges him out due to his recent impressive resurgence. For the sake of considering Craig's possible return for the WS roster (or can we hope NLCS?), I'd take Chambers off.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 7:53 PM

RE: NLDS Roster thread 



EuroWolf wrote: This isn't as hard as it might've seemed. Agree with most that's been said. Of the debatable points mentioned, I'd go with Freeman over Mujica and would not pitch Wainwright on 3-days rest, i.e, plan on four starters. Of the five starters available, Wacha would be the one I'd hold out for pen duty. Lynn edges him out due to his recent impressive resurgence. For the sake of considering Craig's possible return for the WS roster (or can we hope NLCS?), I'd take Chambers off.
Since this is only the NLDS, and Craig is not an option for the NLDS, Chambers doesn't need to come off.

You are allowed to re-do the roster for every level.  There will be a new one for the NLCS.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 8:33 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 


Like someone said earlier it depends on who wins on if Freeman makes the NLDS roster.

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/29/2013 8:38 PM

RE: NLDS Roster thread 



crdswmn wrote:
EuroWolf wrote: This isn't as hard as it might've seemed. Agree with most that's been said. Of the debatable points mentioned, I'd go with Freeman over Mujica and would not pitch Wainwright on 3-days rest, i.e, plan on four starters. Of the five starters available, Wacha would be the one I'd hold out for pen duty. Lynn edges him out due to his recent impressive resurgence. For the sake of considering Craig's possible return for the WS roster (or can we hope NLCS?), I'd take Chambers off.
Since this is only the NLDS, and Craig is not an option for the NLDS, Chambers doesn't need to come off.

You are allowed to re-do the roster for every level.  There will be a new one for the NLCS.
I know -- re-read my post -- I was referring to a potential decision for the WS roster (or maybe NLCS).  I would definitely have Chambers on any current or future series rosters that don't include Craig.  That part might've been clear only in my mind. wink

Yep, I also got outside the scope of your thread topic. pirate

Last edited 9/29/2013 8:43 PM by EuroWolf

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 8:56 PM

RE: NLDS Roster thread 



EuroWolf wrote:
crdswmn wrote:
EuroWolf wrote: This isn't as hard as it might've seemed. Agree with most that's been said. Of the debatable points mentioned, I'd go with Freeman over Mujica and would not pitch Wainwright on 3-days rest, i.e, plan on four starters. Of the five starters available, Wacha would be the one I'd hold out for pen duty. Lynn edges him out due to his recent impressive resurgence. For the sake of considering Craig's possible return for the WS roster (or can we hope NLCS?), I'd take Chambers off.
Since this is only the NLDS, and Craig is not an option for the NLDS, Chambers doesn't need to come off.

You are allowed to re-do the roster for every level.  There will be a new one for the NLCS.
I know -- re-read my post -- I was referring to a potential decision for the WS roster (or maybe NLCS).  I would definitely have Chambers on any current or future series rosters that don't include Craig.  That part might've been clear only in my mind. wink

Yep, I also got outside the scope of your thread topic. pirate
I read it differently---no harm, no foul.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 9:00 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



crdswmn wrote: You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.

I don't have much to add as this seems like the best roster. The biggest controversy is whether or not Matheny will show loyalty to all Mujica has done and include him rather than Freeman. But personally I like the three lefties in the bullpen, and Freeman is no slouch and I would trust him to get a left-handed hitter out in a key spot.

Wong really struggled at the plate in his MLB exposure, but is a good player to have available for late game manuevers.

I do probably depart from the views of some others in that I wish we were not playing a divisional foe in the NLDS. I'd probably rather face the Dodgers, but then again that one-two of Kershaw and Greinke is tough.

Of the two teams in the play-in game, I'm rooting for Pittsburgh, not so much that I want us to play them, but rather because they've had such a long drought of success I'd like to see them get more than one post season game.
Reply | Quote
  • Bworth
  • Memphis Redbird
  • 590 posts this site

Posted: 9/29/2013 9:30 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



crdswmn wrote: You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.
I think you got it.Freeman has pitched pretty well  and a 3rd LHP will help versus Piit/Cinn
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/29/2013 9:44 PM

RE: NLDS Roster thread 


I wouldn't really consider Freeman a left handed specialist. He's more of a reliever that's left handed meaning he gets righties out better than lefties like Siegrist. Not a situational lefty but that shouldn't stop the Cardinals from adding him to the post-season roster over Mujica. It's the one they know will be the most effective and gets outs.

Last edited 9/29/2013 9:44 PM by DTFlush234

Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/29/2013 11:26 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



crdswmn wrote: You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.
Only one thing wrong.  Lynn does not get a start for me.  Wainwright, Miller and then Kelly.  Lynn can pitch long relief if someone gets bombed early.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/29/2013 11:30 PM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 




---------------------------------------------
--- nathanleopoldjr wrote:


crdswmn wrote: You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.
Only one thing wrong.  Lynn does not get a start for me.  Wainwright, Miller and then Kelly.  Lynn can pitch long relief if someone gets bombed early.

---------------------------------------------

Actually, Nate, I hear Matheny is going to have Westbrook start Game One, just for you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/30/2013 7:13 AM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 



bicyclemike wrote:
crdswmn wrote: You knew there had to be one, so I will start.


One of the media scribes tweeted that the Cards would go with 12 pitchers and 13 position players.  Since we really only need 3 starters for the NLDS, does that mean 9 man bullpen?  Or 8 man and 4th starter JIC? 

Either way, I would go with Waino, Miller and Lynn as the SP with Wacha/Kelly as reserve SP/bullpen.  Rest of BP would be Rosie, Siegrist, CMart, Maness, Choate, Axford, Freeman.

Position players, Molina, Adams, Carp, Freese, DD, Koz, Holliday, Jay, Beltran, Cruz, Robinson, Wong, Chambers.

I don't have much to add as this seems like the best roster. The biggest controversy is whether or not Matheny will show loyalty to all Mujica has done and include him rather than Freeman. But personally I like the three lefties in the bullpen, and Freeman is no slouch and I would trust him to get a left-handed hitter out in a key spot.

Wong really struggled at the plate in his MLB exposure, but is a good player to have available for late game manuevers.

I do probably depart from the views of some others in that I wish we were not playing a divisional foe in the NLDS. I'd probably rather face the Dodgers, but then again that one-two of Kershaw and Greinke is tough.

Of the two teams in the play-in game, I'm rooting for Pittsburgh, not so much that I want us to play them, but rather because they've had such a long drought of success I'd like to see them get more than one post season game.
+!
I too want the Bucs. Cincy scares me, especially after Wainwright's last two starts vs. the Reds.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 9:04 AM

Re: NLDS Roster thread 


If i were matheny I'd think seriously about starting Wainright in games 2 and 5 (and game 1 of the NLCS if we win).  In theory he could throw Wainright on regular rest in game 1 .... but.... 

I'd throw them like this :

Miller
Wainright
Kelly
Lynn/Wacha/Miller (pick 'em, let them piggyback and let our bullpen do its thing)
Wainright

But that's just me

Last edited 9/30/2013 9:07 AM by brianpnoonan

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >