Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >

2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18

Avatar

Posted: 9/15/2013 4:49 PM

2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


Adam Wainwright (16‐9, 2.96) vs. Tyler Chatwood (7‐4, 3.20). 7:40 PM CT. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 8:27 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


It should be noted we are one game behind Atlanta for the best record in the NL, which would mean home field advantage all the way to the WS.

Beltran looked pretty bad at the plate last night. Some very ungraceful looking swings, very un-Beltran-like.

So, what to make of CMart? Stuff only goes so far without results.

Who/what is Tyler Chatwood?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 8:57 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



blingboy wrote: It should be noted we are one game behind Atlanta for the best record in the NL, which would mean home field advantage all the way to the WS.

Beltran looked pretty bad at the plate last night. Some very ungraceful looking swings, very un-Beltran-like.

So, what to make of CMart? Stuff only goes so far without results.

Who/what is Tyler Chatwood?
He's a pitcher for the Rockies.


Right hander, 23 years old.  He pitched 3 innings in relief against the Cardinals in 2012.  Spent last month in AAA.

Has a 93 mph avg fastball, which is his best pitch.    Walks a lot of people, doesn't K a lot.

He is kind of like Joe Kelly, with worse luck and a higher ERA.  Guess he's a head case.  eek

Will probably no hit the Cardinals.   tongue

Last edited 9/18/2013 8:59 AM by crdswmn

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:14 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


the braves are struggling bad since heyward went down (plus the nats are white hot in september).

do we really want to play cinci/pitt/possibly washington in the first round?  I'd say yes ... because the alternative despite the fact that they're playing awful in september as well is 3 games of kershaw/greinke in a short series.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:16 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


For the life of me I can't find what our win total was last season. Can anyone help me out?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:17 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



brianpnoonan wrote: the braves are struggling bad since heyward went down (plus the nats are white hot in september).

do we really want to play cinci/pitt/possibly washington in the first round?  I'd say yes ... because the alternative despite the fact that they're playing awful in september as well is 3 games of kershaw/greinke in a short series.
Kershaw doesn't pitch well against the Cardinals.  Greinke OTOH could be a problem.

Playing the Reds is the better option.  We dominate them at Busch.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:18 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



PadsFS wrote: For the life of me I can't find what our win total was last season. Can anyone help me out?
88-74.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:27 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



crdswmn wrote:
PadsFS wrote: For the life of me I can't find what our win total was last season. Can anyone help me out?
88-74.

So how many wins do we have this year with 11 to go?

pirate

Gotta love that!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:27 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



crdswmn wrote:
brianpnoonan wrote: the braves are struggling bad since heyward went down (plus the nats are white hot in september).

do we really want to play cinci/pitt/possibly washington in the first round?  I'd say yes ... because the alternative despite the fact that they're playing awful in september as well is 3 games of kershaw/greinke in a short series.
Kershaw doesn't pitch well against the Cardinals.  Greinke OTOH could be a problem.

Playing the Reds is the better option.  We dominate them at Busch.
Yeah, but do you really want to face a legitimately great pitcher twice in a short series no matter what your success against him?

I remember a few years back a cardinals pitcher named jose jiminez no-hit and 2-hit the diamondbacks twice in a 10 day stretch and beat randy johnson 1-0 both times.  we had some success but still...

i'll take my chances in 7 games not 5.

Last edited 9/18/2013 9:27 AM by brianpnoonan

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:29 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



crdswmn wrote:
blingboy wrote: It should be noted we are one game behind Atlanta for the best record in the NL, which would mean home field advantage all the way to the WS.

Beltran looked pretty bad at the plate last night. Some very ungraceful looking swings, very un-Beltran-like.

So, what to make of CMart? Stuff only goes so far without results.

Who/what is Tyler Chatwood?
He's a pitcher for the Rockies.


Right hander, 23 years old.  He pitched 3 innings in relief against the Cardinals in 2012.  Spent last month in AAA.

Has a 93 mph avg fastball, which is his best pitch.    Walks a lot of people, doesn't K a lot.

He is kind of like Joe Kelly, with worse luck and a higher ERA.  Guess he's a head case.  eek

Will probably no hit the Cardinals.   tongue
The Rockies got Chatwood in a deal with the Angels a couple of years ago where catcher Chris Ianetta went to LA. At one time Ianetta was considered the Rockies catcher of the future, and while he had his moments he never secured the job on a full time basis.

Chatwood has a somewhat odd delivery, but has good stuff and has pitched well for the Rox this year. They are hoping he can be a solid mid-rotation starter for the next few years. 

I look for him to hold us down for a few innings, but we'll string some hits together and eventually knock him around a little. We've swung the bats great in the first two games, it's just that in the first game most everything was caught, whereas last night most everything fell.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:30 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



crdswmn wrote:
brianpnoonan wrote: the braves are struggling bad since heyward went down (plus the nats are white hot in september).

do we really want to play cinci/pitt/possibly washington in the first round?  I'd say yes ... because the alternative despite the fact that they're playing awful in september as well is 3 games of kershaw/greinke in a short series.
Kershaw doesn't pitch well against the Cardinals.  Greinke OTOH could be a problem.

Playing the Reds is the better option.  We dominate them at Busch.



Greinke actually is a bit of a headcase and his playoff performances so far have been lacking (6.48 ERA in 3 starts) I don't think I fear playing against him (not that you do)

He has been pretty great against the Cardinals though in his career.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:32 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



brianpnoonan wrote:
crdswmn wrote:
brianpnoonan wrote: the braves are struggling bad since heyward went down (plus the nats are white hot in september).

do we really want to play cinci/pitt/possibly washington in the first round?  I'd say yes ... because the alternative despite the fact that they're playing awful in september as well is 3 games of kershaw/greinke in a short series.
Kershaw doesn't pitch well against the Cardinals.  Greinke OTOH could be a problem.

Playing the Reds is the better option.  We dominate them at Busch.
Yeah, but do you really want to face a legitimately great pitcher twice in a short series no matter what your success against him?

I remember a few years back a cardinals pitcher named jose jiminez no-hit and 2-hit the diamondbacks twice in a 10 day stretch and beat randy johnson 1-0 both times.  we had some success but still...

i'll take my chances in 7 games not 5.
If I had the choice between Kershaw and say Bronson Arroyo, yeah I wouldn't want Kershaw.

But Kershaw is showing signs of wearing down.  He has had 4 iffy starts in a row and he has been scratched from tonight's start to give him extra days off.  So all I am saying is that he isn't as scary as his reputation would make you think.  At least not against the Cardinals, who have always hit him well.  One of the few lefties you can say that about.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:35 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


i'm fine with saying it's not as scary as youd think at first glance..  i'm also fine with saying that i'd prefer either the reds or pirates or nationals in the first round and there's no shame in avoiding the tougher opponent until your team is in a better position.

It's a tournament.  You play to win the tournament.  Who you're playing and when is part of that equation.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/18/2013 11:38 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


well I thought Carlos Martinez's issues was because he through a fast ball every pitch...but he through quite a few off speed breaking pitches...which seem to be effective until they racked his 99-ish mph fast ball..

well, obviously you (Carlos M) simply can't live on a fast ball up in the zone no matter how dynamic the fast ball could possibly be....

my guess is that he has to develop pitches low in the zone to complement his fast balls...

in other words, he has to use split finger pitches...or two seem fast balls to assure the ball drops.....or a Wacha's screw ball would be nice for Carlos, too...but something has to be added to assure he stays in the majors.... 

to bad if his talent doesn't move to MLB
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 1:09 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


Glad to see Martinez gets some pitches in so we can have an idea of what we have before the playoffs. I suspect after seeing him a couple of times now that he will be left off the play off roster. Not this year young man, maybe next year. I wonder if they will start to ramp up Axford now and get him ready for the 6th or 7th inning role along with Maness?

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 1:27 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 



cardinalnationhouston wrote: Glad to see Martinez gets some pitches in so we can have an idea of what we have before the playoffs. I suspect after seeing him a couple of times now that he will be left off the play off roster. Not this year young man, maybe next year. I wonder if they will start to ramp up Axford now and get him ready for the 6th or 7th inning role along with Maness?
I would think that is Mo's hope. What Mike does is anybody's guess.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 9/18/2013 1:59 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


I'll take the Reds or the Pirates. The way things look now, their six games out of nine may be a battle for home field in the play in game. Doesn't look like Dusty is going to get to rest or rearrange his rotation as he will want to secure the home field for the "sudden death" playoff game. 
Cards need to win tonight as I fully expect both Cincy and the Pirates will be victorious in their contests.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 3:39 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


Since playoff opponents have been discussed, has anyone else noticed that Puig has come down to earth at the plate. .224 in September, and worse than that the last week or two. If teams are figuring out how to pitch him, I hope the Cards are on board.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/18/2013 4:20 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


Last edited 9/18/2013 6:07 PM by bicyclemike

Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 2512 posts this site

Posted: 9/18/2013 4:24 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 152 thread: Cards at Rockies, Wed 9/18 


Carpenter 2B,Jay CF, Holliday LF, Freese 3B, Molina C, Adams 1B, Robinson RF, Descalso SS, Wainwright P
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >