Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >

2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28

Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2013 8:07 PM

2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Adam Wainwright (15‐7, 2.58) vs. Homer Bailey (8‐10, 3.71). 7:15 PM CT. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 7:58 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


If we can win Monday with minor league call-up guy who is already gone again, and we can win Teusday with the Rodney Dangerfield of Cardinal pitchers, surely we can sweep today with our Ace.

I would be happy with a repeat of last night's lineup. Freese is looking good and Wong not so much (at the plate).

Adams hasn't had that masher vibe about him at the plate lately. But maybe Mike will think Homer Bailey would cure him. My thinking is that Matt has been working on re-making his approach to counter the shift.

If anybody is from the Pittsburgh area, how much concern is there that "The Collapse" is underway?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/28/2013 8:31 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Bailey is 0-5 with a 6.90 ERA in seven career starts at Busch Stadium. He's lost twice at Busch already this year, giving up 11 runs and 18 hits in 10 1/3 innings. Four of those hits were home runs. Hopefully the Cardinals can smell blood in the water and seize the opportunity to really punish the Reds with a sweep!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/28/2013 9:14 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



blingboy wrote: If we can win Monday with minor league call-up guy who is already gone again, and we can win Teusday with the Rodney Dangerfield of Cardinal pitchers, surely we can sweep today with our Ace.

I would be happy with a repeat of last night's lineup. Freese is looking good and Wong not so much (at the plate).

Adams hasn't had that masher vibe about him at the plate lately. But maybe Mike will think Homer Bailey would cure him. My thinking is that Matt has been working on re-making his approach to counter the shift.

If anybody is from the Pittsburgh area, how much concern is there that "The Collapse" is underway?
I'm not sure what the Rodney Dangerfield line means but right now Kelly is much better than Lynn. As to Freese he needs to be traded and Wong needs to play everyday then Wong's stroke will improve. With Wong at second and Carpenter at third we are better on defense at second and third.  I think Freese is history in St. Louis.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 9:24 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



nathanleopoldjr wrote: 
With Wong at second and Carpenter at third we are better on defense at second and third.  I think Freese is history in St. Louis.
I disagree about the defense but I also think Freese is history.

For the future, I like Carp at 3rd and Wong at 2nd, but for today, Freese in the lineup is better than Wong in the lineup.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/28/2013 9:53 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Freese/Wong/Carpenter would be just fine in a 3-way platoon of sorts with Carpenter nearly always playing and also getting some 1B action as well.

Freese's defense has looked good lately and his UZR numbers have to be skewed for some reason as he was an above-average fielder last year.

If Freese (or Wong) has to take a bench role next season, he will be just $1-1.5M more than Wigginton and we could further save money by letting Descalso go. Freese will likely get about $4-4.5M in arbitration, while Descalso will get around $1.5-2M or at least $1M more than a rookie. I'd rather have Craig/Adams, Carpenter, two SS's, Wong, and Freese on my infield than one with Descalso.

A bench of Greg Garcia, David Freese, Shane Robinson, Tony Cruz, and potentially Oscar Taveras or Jon Jay would be incredible.
Reply | Quote
  • MAP315
  • St. Louis Cardinal
  • 3543 posts this site

Posted: 8/28/2013 9:53 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



nathanleopoldjr wrote:
blingboy wrote: If we can win Monday with minor league call-up guy who is already gone again, and we can win Teusday with the Rodney Dangerfield of Cardinal pitchers, surely we can sweep today with our Ace.

I would be happy with a repeat of last night's lineup. Freese is looking good and Wong not so much (at the plate).

Adams hasn't had that masher vibe about him at the plate lately. But maybe Mike will think Homer Bailey would cure him. My thinking is that Matt has been working on re-making his approach to counter the shift.

If anybody is from the Pittsburgh area, how much concern is there that "The Collapse" is underway?
I'm not sure what the Rodney Dangerfield line means but right now Kelly is much better than Lynn. As to Freese he needs to be traded and Wong needs to play everyday then Wong's stroke will improve. With Wong at second and Carpenter at third we are better on defense at second and third.  I think Freese is history in St. Louis.

Kelly is not "much" better than Lynn actually I think Lynn's stuff is better and I do like Kelly better than Lynn but I am not blind. I hope Kelly can get better. He has potential but his control is not where it needs to be.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 10:02 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Would love to see Adam get his 16th win today. He's not mathematically eliminated from a 20 win season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 10:25 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


The Cardinals are 16-2 in Wainwright's starts when scoring at least 3 runs.  

July 4th he left with a 2 run lead (Mujica blown save)
July 31st he left tie game (Rosenthal, L)

Both those losses Waino allowed 4 ER, 1 other start he allowed 5 ER but still notched a W.  So of Wainwright 27 starts, he has allowed 4 or more ER just 3 times

Oddly he has a much better ERA (2.06 WHIP 0.895) at home in 12 starts but a not so good record (6-5)


Anyway, if we score at least 3 I'd say our chances of a W are good
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 11:42 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Solid stats, Catman. Thanks for sharing.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 12:58 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



Catman61 wrote:

Anyway, if we score at least 3 I'd say our chances of a W are good
Our win% in games we score 3 or more with Wainwright works out to .875.

The Cards win% in all games where we score at least 3 runs is .779, second in the NL to Washington, and tied with Pittsburgh.

The Cards % when we score exactly 3 is .471, so hope we don't tempt fate.

Last edited 8/28/2013 12:59 PM by blingboy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/28/2013 1:07 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Time for the sweep, followed by a day off!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 1:30 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


So now Blazek is back up and Martinez back down. All the newbies must be walking on egg shells.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 1:31 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



DMENS wrote: Bailey is 0-5 with a 6.90 ERA in seven career starts at Busch Stadium. He's lost twice at Busch already this year, giving up 11 runs and 18 hits in 10 1/3 innings. Four of those hits were home runs. Hopefully the Cardinals can smell blood in the water and seize the opportunity to really punish the Reds with a sweep!
Yikes, those are lousy numbers. But it can be looked at two ways - one, he'll continue to perform as history has shown, or two, he'll most likely not be this bad in Busch for his career, so he'll be better in his remaining starts here than in his previous outings.

We'll see in a few hours where this start puts his numbers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 1:56 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Bailey, as evidenced by his two no-hitters, obviously can pitch well at times.  I don't want to take tonight's game for granted; I'll just hang on and hope for the best.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/28/2013 2:32 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Anybody can have a bad series, but this Red team looks fundamentally unsound in this series. They are uncharacteristically sloppy. Fielders losing track of how many outs there are.....two players taking up residence at the same base....batters impatient at the plate....heck even on the first two plays last night, Choo and Bruce both booted ground balls hit right at them. We're not talking about a bunch of rookies screwing up, so something odd is going on with that team.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 2:37 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


Bernie article talking about Koz, DD, and the SS situation. Points out that niether are hitting and that niether is Jackson, but mentions Garcia is (.378 in August).

www.stltoday.com/sports/column...21baa04774.html
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/28/2013 2:37 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



pugsleyaddams wrote: Anybody can have a bad series, but this Red team looks fundamentally unsound in this series. They are uncharacteristically sloppy. Fielders losing track of how many outs there are.....two players taking up residence at the same base....batters impatient at the plate....heck even on the first two plays last night, Choo and Bruce both booted ground balls hit right at them. 
Ah, such a beautiful thing!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 3:05 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 



blingboy wrote: So now Blazek is back up and Martinez back down. All the newbies must be walking on egg shells.
Maybe not, after all on Sun just 3 games from now rosters expand and seems likely Lyons & Martinez will be back in St Louis
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/28/2013 3:12 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 133 thread: Reds at Cards, Wed 8/28 


I was unaware that Freese was still eligible for arbitration.  Is that correct?  I heard that Freese was looking for a 4/60 kind of contract earlier in the season.  I would assume that ship has sailed at this point.  If we could get him back for one year I'd be happy to have him for 5 to 7M, but I really don't think the risk of a big money 4 year contract is worth it.  I will concede that my favorite all-star of all time Matty C may have more value as a super sub playing 5+ days a week between 1,2,3,LF, and RF than playing every day at third. 
PadsFS wrote: Freese/Wong/Carpenter would be just fine in a 3-way platoon of sorts with Carpenter nearly always playing and also getting some 1B action as well.

Freese's defense has looked good lately and his UZR numbers have to be skewed for some reason as he was an above-average fielder last year.

If Freese (or Wong) has to take a bench role next season, he will be just $1-1.5M more than Wigginton and we could further save money by letting Descalso go. Freese will likely get about $4-4.5M in arbitration, while Descalso will get around $1.5-2M or at least $1M more than a rookie. I'd rather have Craig/Adams, Carpenter, two SS's, Wong, and Freese on my infield than one with Descalso.

A bench of Greg Garcia, David Freese, Shane Robinson, Tony Cruz, and potentially Oscar Taveras or Jon Jay would be incredible.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >