Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8

Avatar

Posted: 8/4/2013 10:57 AM

2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


Carlos Martinez (0-0, 5.56) vs. Hyun‐Jin Ryu (10‐3, 3.15). 7:15 p.m. CT. FOX Sports Midwest, MLB Network (alternate game) and KMOX.

(Thursday's original starter, Jake Westbrook, pitched in emergency duty on Wednesday night instead.)
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 8/8/2013 12:19 AM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/7/2013 10:18 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


So folks, who's your new starter?
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/7/2013 11:28 PM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


Rob Johnson was effective tonight and threw just four pitches. But hey, if that's a little far-fetched for you, eliminate Wacha and Lyons because they've pitched too recently. Martinez?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 12:04 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


Martinez. I will be surprised if we beat Ryu tomorrow, he has been as good as advertized. This team has some glaring weaknesses and it is going to be a long haul the rest of the way. I think Cards see this as a developmental year and have from day 1. This is the reason they refuse to add anyone from another team and have been so stingy with their prospects. I am not complaining this could pay off huge in 2014 and on. I do think they have been looking at the off season for upgrades all along. Interesting game plan for sure, we shall see.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 12:17 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 8/8/2013 12:20 AM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 12:40 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
Salas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 12:50 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



crdswmn wrote:
Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
Salas.
So i guess Miller will go to DL then if they are calling up a reliever too. I would like to see Marte actually, he has earned it and you could put Salas in the closer role in Memphis to see how he responds. Not much to lose really as Marte will hardly pitch most likely in St.Louis.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 1:13 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


I put up a poll on the "which reliever" question on my blog. I also included the Memphis stats of the seven relievers there now.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 1:19 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



cardinalnationhouston wrote:
crdswmn wrote:
Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
Salas.
So i guess Miller will go to DL then if they are calling up a reliever too. I would like to see Marte actually, he has earned it and you could put Salas in the closer role in Memphis to see how he responds. Not much to lose really as Marte will hardly pitch most likely in St.Louis.
Please enlighten me as to how Marte has "earned it".
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 1:23 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



Domeboys wrote: I put up a poll on the "which reliever" question on my blog. I also included the Memphis stats of the seven relievers there now.
The poll asks who do you want brought up, not who you think will be.  I think it will be Salas, but I don't "want" Salas.  I guess Freeman would be ok, though I don't think we need 3 lefties, and he has never proven he can pitch effectively at the major league level.  Every time he has been called up he has failed.  Still, he is better than the other 40 man candidates.

Hooker intrigues me, but he isn't on the 40 man, and he hasn't pitched many innings in Memphis, so maybe we shouldn't go there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 2:08 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



crdswmn wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
crdswmn wrote:
Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
Salas.
So i guess Miller will go to DL then if they are calling up a reliever too. I would like to see Marte actually, he has earned it and you could put Salas in the closer role in Memphis to see how he responds. Not much to lose really as Marte will hardly pitch most likely in St.Louis.
Please enlighten me as to how Marte has "earned it".
Marte has been solid all year until the last few weeks that is how. I know you are a "numbers" fan but they can be mis leading especially for relievers. In hindsight i do think Freeman is a better choice, he has been the best pen arm down there the last two months or so. Victor may be running out of gas. To me you can do nothing but harm by bringing Salas back at this point.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 6:29 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


Last night was a train wreck in every sense. Tonight has to be better.

I'm for calling up Hooker even though he's just got to Memphis. He is 24 and in his 7th pro year. Has about 2 full seasons worth of experience at AA and seems to have kicked it up a notch this year. Might as well have a look at him.

Did anyone else who saw replays of Miller getting hit by the liner think that once he released the pitch he totally forgot about getting himself into a position to defend himself and field his position? The super slow mo seemed to show that he released and then became a spectator. His glove hand was down near the ground and he was making no move at all to raise it to a 'ready' position or get himself in a balanced position so as to be able to react to a batted ball. It was a notable contrast to a couple of quick reactions by pitchers who were ready that we have seen the last couple games. That is something he and the staff will need to address. I'm sure that sort of thing would have been addressed as part of his development and make-ready for the bigs, but he will probably pay more attention now.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 7:50 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



cardinalnationhouston wrote:
crdswmn wrote:
cardinalnationhouston wrote:
crdswmn wrote:
Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
Salas.
So i guess Miller will go to DL then if they are calling up a reliever too. I would like to see Marte actually, he has earned it and you could put Salas in the closer role in Memphis to see how he responds. Not much to lose really as Marte will hardly pitch most likely in St.Louis.
Please enlighten me as to how Marte has "earned it".
Marte has been solid all year until the last few weeks that is how. I know you are a "numbers" fan but they can be mis leading especially for relievers. In hindsight i do think Freeman is a better choice, he has been the best pen arm down there the last two months or so. Victor may be running out of gas. To me you can do nothing but harm by bringing Salas back at this point.
They're not for Marte.  Not in this or any other universe.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 8:15 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

Martinez's english is rough, but as I understand it he had next to no english ability as recently as his arrival this spring.  I agree with Brian that the progress is impressive in a short time.  I also appreciate his willingness to try to reach and connect with the english speaking fan base by doing the interview without any translation.  He won't have any trouble understanding the applause as he mows down the Dodgers tonight.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2013 8:17 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



Domeboys wrote: Martinez has been officially named Thursday's starter. Just yesterday (Tuesday), I spoke with him about being ready at any time for the call. (Link to subscriber interview.)

A reliever will be added as well. Who is your guess?
At least they're yo-yo his regimen back to relief. We'll get a good look at what he can do two or three times through an order against one of more talented lineups in the NL this season. Will also see how far along he is in his development as a starter. Meaning how much progress he's made.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2013 8:20 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


I would be fine with Hooker. He's a lot like Butler with more on his fastball. Gets outs and is a fresh arm which after last nights game the bullpen needs. Not only that but Hooker and Blazek are close friends.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/8/2013 8:42 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


I was impressed with Butler last night (until he started running out of gas). He was using a back door type breaking ball with nice horizontal break to great effect against both righties and lefties, breaking over late to catch the black. Mixed that with the same pitch located so as to sweep across the plate ending up unreachable. Nobody could touch it that first inning.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2013 8:47 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 



blingboy wrote: I was impressed with Butler last night (until he started running out of gas). He was using a back door type breaking ball with nice horizontal break to great effect against both righties and lefties, breaking over late to catch the black. Mixed that with the same pitch located so as to sweep across the plate ending up unreachable. Nobody could touch it that first inning.
That's his plus slider or even "slurve" he relied heavily on in Springfield. Hasn't flashed it all that often in the big-leagues with that nice change-up. Like seeing more of it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2013 11:17 AM

RE: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


Marte
has looked awful and can't seem to pitch in the majors....
every critical situation (like Salas), Marte gets thumped....

minors is another story....

kinda surprised he hasn't been released....

Last edited 8/8/2013 11:19 AM by hardheaded

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/8/2013 4:01 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 114 thread: Dodgers at Cards, Thu 8/8 


The Marlins didnt do us any favors today.  They had a 4-0 lead on the Pirates and lost 5-4 in 10 innings.

Need a win tonight to keep pace.

Rat
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >