Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13

Avatar

Posted: 7/10/2013 10:54 PM

2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Lance Lynn (11‐3, 3.67) vs. Matt Garza (5‐1, 3.22). 6:15 PM CT. FOX Network and KMOX.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 10:29 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Interesting game for sure. Epstein may be showcasing Garza for possible trade before deadline. Cards have a chance to reach high water mark for the season in this one. Only thing I worry about is Lynn and the long ball in Wrigley. 
Question-- Do you folks feel like Matt Carpenter is kind of a throwback player to the golden age of baseball? He comes to the plate with no batting gloves, his demeanor is understated and he is most probably one of the hardest working players on the entire team. I suspect the Old Redhead smiles some when he watches this young man play. 
Also, I figure Mo will be fielding calls after the all-star break. He will make a deal, for who, I don't know, but this organization always seems to be able to bring in a player who gives them a little extra energy for the dog days of summer!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 10:37 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Matt Carpenter has really been a godsend. I wonder what those that closely follow the minor leagues think of him. Has he exceeded projections, or was he always considered a future regular infielder and potential all star?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 11:17 AM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 



bicyclemike wrote: Matt Carpenter has really been a godsend. I wonder what those that closely follow the minor leagues think of him. Has he exceeded projections, or was he always considered a future regular infielder and potential all star?
I did see someone post a comment about Carpenter from Keith Law.  Law said Carp's hitting was bolstered by a high BABIP (didn't say he couldn't maintain it, though) and that he was very surprised at how well he has adapted to 2B.

He also said the Cardinals were in his opinion the best team in the majors, but they needed to fix the shortstop problem.  He believes Ryan Jackson should be given a chance.

FWIW, because I know a lot of people don't like Law.  I think he is an arrogant douchebag, but he knows his stuff.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 12:41 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


My recollection is that Carpenter was usually rated around the 6-12 range by both the "experts" and those on this board. Not an elite prospect. No doubt him being a 5th year senior when drafted and his age had a lot to do with that.

Clearly a case of some talent and a ton of ability to adjust and make the best use of that talent.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 12:51 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Speaking of klaw being an arrogant douchebag...i was looking for a link of his interview with 101 espn the other day where they tear him a new one over leaving carp off his cya ballot. Anyone know where i can find this?

---------------------------------------------
--- crdswmn wrote:


bicyclemike wrote: Matt Carpenter has really been a godsend. I wonder what those that closely follow the minor leagues think of him. Has he exceeded projections, or was he always considered a future regular infielder and potential all star?
I did see someone post a comment about Carpenter from Keith Law.  Law said Carp's hitting was bolstered by a high BABIP (didn't say he couldn't maintain it, though) and that he was very surprised at how well he has adapted to 2B.

He also said the Cardinals were in his opinion the best team in the majors, but they needed to fix the shortstop problem.  He believes Ryan Jackson should be given a chance.

FWIW, because I know a lot of people don't like Law.  I think he is an arrogant douchebag, but he knows his stuff.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 1:11 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 



SoonerinNC wrote:

My recollection is that Carpenter was usually rated around the 6-12 range by both the "experts" and those on this board. Not an elite prospect. No doubt him being a 5th year senior when drafted and his age had a lot to do with that.

Clearly a case of some talent and a ton of ability to adjust and make the best use of that talent.

I had consistently felt Carpenter was not properly recognized in the minors for what he is. I never understood why a .408 career minor league OBP hitter was hitting down low in the lineups in the upper minors. He was never placed at or near the top of the order until he reached St. Louis.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 1:20 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 



crdswmn wrote:
bicyclemike wrote: Matt Carpenter has really been a godsend. I wonder what those that closely follow the minor leagues think of him. Has he exceeded projections, or was he always considered a future regular infielder and potential all star?
I did see someone post a comment about Carpenter from Keith Law.  Law said Carp's hitting was bolstered by a high BABIP (didn't say he couldn't maintain it, though) and that he was very surprised at how well he has adapted to 2B.

He also said the Cardinals were in his opinion the best team in the majors, but they needed to fix the shortstop problem.  He believes Ryan Jackson should be given a chance.

FWIW, because I know a lot of people don't like Law.  I think he is an arrogant douchebag, but he knows his stuff.
I would suggest that there are posters on this board who know as much as Law or maybe even more. From what you posted, Law was pretty much Capt. Obvious with his comments. Shortstop does need to be fixed and I don't see a platoon situation with the two current guys getting the job done down the stretch.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 1:38 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 



Domeboys wrote:
SoonerinNC wrote:

My recollection is that Carpenter was usually rated around the 6-12 range by both the "experts" and those on this board. Not an elite prospect. No doubt him being a 5th year senior when drafted and his age had a lot to do with that.

Clearly a case of some talent and a ton of ability to adjust and make the best use of that talent.

I had consistently felt Carpenter was not properly recognized in the minors for what he is. I never understood why a .408 career minor league OBP hitter was hitting down low in the lineups in the upper minors. He was never placed at or near the top of the order until he reached St. Louis.

Because he wasn't a speedy guy.  Baseball is way behind the curve in this regards; Bill James was writing about this as long ago as 1984, when in his Abstract for that season, he recommended the Mets bat Keith Hernandez leadoff because of his his OBA rather than Mookie Wilson, the speedster.

My heart was gladdened the other day, though, when the Cards were on TV and the announcers talked about Carpenter being an ideal leadoff man because he "always gets on base" and "sets the table for the RBI guys".  And they didn't even mention that he doesn't steal bases.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:01 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Molina, Kozma sit with different slumps. Cruz in for Molina in the 8th spot and Descalso whose had a hot bat of late is slated in the 2 spot ahead of Beltran. Adams going to get some at bats this weekend with Holliday's injury that moves Craig to left. See how he does in Wrigley.

Last edited 7/13/2013 3:02 PM by DTFlush234

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:10 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 




---------------------------------------------
--- Domeboys wrote:


SoonerinNC wrote: My recollection is that Carpenter was usually rated around the 6-12 range by both the "experts" and those on this board. Not an elite prospect. No doubt him being a 5th year senior when drafted and his age had a lot to do with that.

Clearly a case of some talent and a ton of ability to adjust and make the best use of that talent.

I had consistently felt Carpenter was not properly recognized in the minors for what he is. I never understood why a .408 career minor league OBP hitter was hitting down low in the lineups in the upper minors. He was never placed at or near the top of the order until he reached St. Louis.

---------------------------------------------

Especially the everyday lineups put out there for Springfield in 2010 and Memphis in 2011. Not many well regarded hitters.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:17 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Well, as I intimated, a lot of it is just "baseball tradition", which is a fine thing - I'm all for tradition - but sometimes you need to take a closer look at what you've got.

In Carpenter's case, he wasn't considered to be fast enough for a top-of-the-lineup hitter.  He wasn't considered to have enough power to be a middle-of-the-lineup hitter.  Hence, he found himself hitting sixth or seventh more often than not.

Give Matheny credit for batting him leadoff after Jay wasn't able to handle it this season (he did fine there last year).

Carpenter actually is beginning to remind me of Keith Hernandez in his style of hitting - lefty batter, line drive hitter, good average, will surprise you with a home run every now and then, his OBA, etc.  Of course, Keith never played second or third base; he was strictly a first baseman who could play outfield in a pinch.  (You may recall that Herzog's original plan for 1981 was to move Keith to LF and Simmons to 1B in the wake of the Darrell Porter signing.)

I'll go further, though - I could see Carpenter, someday, batting third for this team.  He's *that* good of a hitter.  Of course, we'd have to find another leadoff man first and fulfill whatsizname's dream of dumping Holliday. ;-)

Last edited 7/13/2013 3:18 PM by Jmodene1

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:18 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 




---------------------------------------------
--- bicyclemike wrote:

Matt Carpenter has really been a godsend. I wonder what those that closely follow the minor leagues think of him. Has he exceeded projections, or was he always considered a future regular infielder and potential all star?

---------------------------------------------

Never was projected as he is now. I would have to say he has exceeded way above what scouts projected his future to be maybe even far exceeding his ceiling at his peak level. I had a scout tell me the other day it's the Matt Carpenter's of minor league baseball that are the hardest to profile cause all they do is hit and get on base. He went on to say no one ever thought he would .320 in the big leagues. Carpenter fell through the cracks.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:21 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 




---------------------------------------------
--- Jmodene1 wrote:

Well, as I intimated, a lot of it is just "baseball tradition", which is a fine thing - I'm all for tradition - but sometimes you need to take a closer look at what you've got.

In Carpenter's case, he wasn't considered to be fast enough for a top-of-the-lineup hitter.  He wasn't considered to have enough power to be a middle-of-the-lineup hitter.  Hence, he found himself hitting sixth or seventh more often than not.

Give Matheny credit for batting him leadoff after Jay wasn't able to handle it this season (he did fine there last year).

Carpenter actually is beginning to remind me of Keith Hernandez in his style of hitting - lefty batter, line drive hitter, good average, will surprise you with a home run every now and then, his OBA, etc.  Of course, Keith never played second or third base; he was strictly a first baseman who could play outfield in a pinch.  (You may recall that Herzog's original plan for 1981 was to move Keith to LF and Simmons to 1B in the wake of the Darrell Porter signing.)

I'll go further, though - I could see Carpenter, someday, batting third for this team.  He's *that* good of a hitter.  Of course, we'd have to find another leadoff man first and fulfill whatsizname's dream of dumping Holliday. ;-)

---------------------------------------------

I don't know about that. Hernandez was a great player back in his day. We should find out in a decade.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:37 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 



DTFlush234 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- Jmodene1 wrote:

Well, as I intimated, a lot of it is just "baseball tradition", which is a fine thing - I'm all for tradition - but sometimes you need to take a closer look at what you've got.

In Carpenter's case, he wasn't considered to be fast enough for a top-of-the-lineup hitter.  He wasn't considered to have enough power to be a middle-of-the-lineup hitter.  Hence, he found himself hitting sixth or seventh more often than not.

Give Matheny credit for batting him leadoff after Jay wasn't able to handle it this season (he did fine there last year).

Carpenter actually is beginning to remind me of Keith Hernandez in his style of hitting - lefty batter, line drive hitter, good average, will surprise you with a home run every now and then, his OBA, etc.  Of course, Keith never played second or third base; he was strictly a first baseman who could play outfield in a pinch.  (You may recall that Herzog's original plan for 1981 was to move Keith to LF and Simmons to 1B in the wake of the Darrell Porter signing.)

I'll go further, though - I could see Carpenter, someday, batting third for this team.  He's *that* good of a hitter.  Of course, we'd have to find another leadoff man first and fulfill whatsizname's dream of dumping Holliday. ;-)

---------------------------------------------

I don't know about that. Hernandez was a great player back in his day. We should find out in a decade.
Good point about Craig in Wrigley Dt. I think he will be fine. I think he is actually slightly better out there than our starter but this should be a good test. Holli is far more experienced out there than Craig though so it could be an issue. I just think Craig sees the ball off the bat better than Matt. High praise for Carpenter by JMod for sure. He has been very impressive with how he handles his AB's and in the field.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 3:42 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 



DTFlush234 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- Jmodene1 wrote:

Well, as I intimated, a lot of it is just "baseball tradition", which is a fine thing - I'm all for tradition - but sometimes you need to take a closer look at what you've got.

In Carpenter's case, he wasn't considered to be fast enough for a top-of-the-lineup hitter.  He wasn't considered to have enough power to be a middle-of-the-lineup hitter.  Hence, he found himself hitting sixth or seventh more often than not.

Give Matheny credit for batting him leadoff after Jay wasn't able to handle it this season (he did fine there last year).

Carpenter actually is beginning to remind me of Keith Hernandez in his style of hitting - lefty batter, line drive hitter, good average, will surprise you with a home run every now and then, his OBA, etc.  Of course, Keith never played second or third base; he was strictly a first baseman who could play outfield in a pinch.  (You may recall that Herzog's original plan for 1981 was to move Keith to LF and Simmons to 1B in the wake of the Darrell Porter signing.)

I'll go further, though - I could see Carpenter, someday, batting third for this team.  He's *that* good of a hitter.  Of course, we'd have to find another leadoff man first and fulfill whatsizname's dream of dumping Holliday. ;-)

---------------------------------------------

I don't know about that. Hernandez was a great player back in his day. We should find out in a decade.

That's why I said "beginning to remind me".  I don't think it'll take a decade, though - Keith was hitting like Keith as early as 1977.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 4:37 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Quick update, Braves pitcher Minor just doubled in two runs against no-hit Homer. Braves now up 3-2 with runners on first and third and no body out in the bottom of the fifth!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2013 5:15 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Braves up 4-2 in the bottom of the seventh.

Add: Kimbrel strikes out the side in the top of the ninth. Braves win 5-2. Interesting that all of the Braves starting outfielders are injured and did not play.

Last edited 7/13/2013 5:50 PM by ageelaw

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 6:27 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


IMO this offense would have struggled a little with out Carpenter at the top of it. Would have survived with a struggling Jay leading off but not as well rounded an offense.

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/13/2013 7:16 PM

Re: 2013 MLB game 92 thread: Cards at Cubs: Sat 7/13 


Tony Cruz has a Rbi hit but Lynn is getting knocked around a bit and the Cubs lead 3-1 after two innings.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >