Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Expanded Instant Replay

Posted: 6/11/2012 3:46 PM

Expanded Instant Replay 


Ok, so, i went back a few months and didnt see any threat on Instant Replay so I thought I would post this.  Forgive me if the thread is out there but I dont know how to search.

Anyway, about the possible Instant Replay.  What would happen in a situation like Beltran had in New York the other night where the ump misses a call on a liner down the line?  If it would be reviewed would Beltran be given a double?  or a single?  And what if there would have been a fast runner on first?  Would that runner come home?  Or stop at 3rd since it might be considered a ground rule double?

And what about a close play at home to end an inning?  Runner on 1st with two outs and the batter doubles.  If they call the runner out at the plate to end the inning and then Replay shows he is safe what happens to the batter?  Does he automatically stay at 2nd or would the umps have the right to give him 3rd if they thought he would obviously make it?

And who originates the Replay?  The crew chief?  One of the managers?  Can they get a replay all the time or would they be given limited opportunities like the NFL?

Seems like Instant Replay can cause alot of different scenarios if calls are changed.  Has there been any scuttlebutt on how expanded Instant Replay might work? 

Again, my apologies if all this has been discussed before.

Rat

Last edited 6/11/2012 6:39 PM by UConnCard

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/11/2012 4:03 PM

Re: Expanded Instant Replay 



RatsBuddy wrote: Ok, so, i went back a few months and didnt see any threat on Instant Replay so I thought I would post this.  Forgive me if the thread is out there but I dont know how to search.

Anyway, about the possible Instant Replay.  What would happen in a situation like Beltran had in New York the other night where the ump misses a call on a liner down the line?  If it would be reviewed would Beltran be given a double?  or a single?  And what if there would have been a fast runner on first?  Would that runner come home?  Or stop at 3rd since it might be considered a ground rule double?

And what about a close play at home to end an inning?  Runner on 1st with two outs and the batter doubles.  If they call the runner out at the plate to end the inning and then Replay shows he is safe what happens to the batter?  Does he automatically stay at 2nd or would the umps have the right to give him 3rd if they thought he would obviously make it?

And who originates the Replay?  The crew chief?  One of the managers?  Can they get a replay all the time or would they be given limited opportunities like the NFL?

Seems like Instant Replay can cause alot of different scenarios if calls are changed.  Has there been any scuttlebutt on how expanded Instant Replay might work? 

Again, my apologies if all this has been discussed before.

Rat

Last edited 6/11/2012 6:40 PM by UConnCard

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2012 6:20 PM

Re: Expanded Instant Replay 


Other than HR its a horrible idea and I'm not a huge fan of that either.

The human element is a part of the game and if you start replaying bang bang plays you open it up to everything being looked at including balls and strikes.

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/11/2012 11:32 PM

Re: Expanded Instant Replay 


It's long gone because of a couple of board changes, but I wrote an essay several years ago about the human element of baseball. It was that essay that caught the eye of Ray and Brian and got me a job writing for the news side of this site. It said that the human factor of the game is what MAKES the game. If a call goes against you, you work harder to make up for it. If the game is so close that one call changes the direction of the whole game, then it could have gone either way anyway.

I don't like the idea of instant replay because it takes part of the human factor out of the game. That said, we have some instant replay and I don't think we should go backwards, but don't add any.
Without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure.
Ronald Reagan
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/12/2012 1:20 AM

Re: Expanded Instant Replay 



sport61201 wrote: It's long gone because of a couple of board changes, but I wrote an essay several years ago about the human element of baseball. It was that essay that caught the eye of Ray and Brian and got me a job writing for the news side of this site. It said that the human factor of the game is what MAKES the game. If a call goes against you, you work harder to make up for it. If the game is so close that one call changes the direction of the whole game, then it could have gone either way anyway.

I don't like the idea of instant replay because it takes part of the human factor out of the game. That said, we have some instant replay and I don't think we should go backwards, but don't add any.
I really just don't think it would be advantageous for baseball to further slow down the game.  The instant replay that is in there now is fine, but I don't want it further expanded.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/12/2012 6:22 AM

Re: Expanded Instant Replay 


For what its worth.......If there would have been Instant Replay in 1985 we might - MIGHT - have another World Series title to our credit.

I agree with what posters have said so far.  But i do think there are some other situations where it could be useful.  That being said, very few situations though.

Rat
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/12/2012 7:12 AM

Re: Expanded Instant Replay 


Perhaps the way to do it would be to use it only in the postseason, where the games obviously are somewhat more important.  If it should turn out to not be too much of a game-lengthener or distraction, then it might be expanded to the regular season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 3:05 PM

Expanded replay 


ESPN's Jayson Stark explains why it isn't coming this year, despite all the constituencies saying they want it.
Brian Walton
The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation blog
Follow both Brian and TCN on Twitter

Last edited 1/17/2013 3:06 PM by Domeboys

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:49 PM

Re: Expanded replay 


i dont understand their logic.  They should crawl before they walk or run.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:41 PM

Re: Expanded replay 


Just letting everyone know I am not in favor of any replay system.

From what it sounds like money is a driving force. Also some of the things they we're willing to replay didn't exactly happen all the time. Lot's of other reasons but also consider the umps union as ones holding it up.

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:50 PM

Re: Expanded replay 




---------------------------------------------
--- 619illinibooyah wrote:

Just letting everyone know I am not in favor of any replay system.

From what it sounds like money is a driving force. Also some of the things they we're willing to replay didn't exactly happen all the time. Lot's of other reasons but also consider the umps union as ones holding it up.

---------------------------------------------

619- im always curious as to why people are against replay in mlb. Are you against it in football? If it would add 5-10 minutes max to every game would you still be against it?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/18/2013 5:48 AM

Re: Expanded replay 




---------------------------------------------
--- grayssportsalmanac wrote:


619- im always curious as to why people are against replay in mlb. Are you against it in football?

---------------------------------------------

I'm against it for two reasons. First, it drags games on much too long. Secondly, for me part of the fun of watching sports is getting irate at the game's arbiters. Replays reverse bad calls thus taking away fan anger with umps(officials).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/18/2013 9:33 AM

Re: Expanded replay 


If it was 5 extra minutes added to a game, I dont think anyone could argue that isnt worth getting a call correct. Not saying this is your point pugs, but for many its simply nostalgia for nostalgia sake....which is ridiculous.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/18/2013 2:03 PM

Re: Expanded replay 


The last thing baseball needs is something else to lengthen the games. Because the "action" is relatively sparse and the game has a lot of dead time anyway, adding to that would in my opinion cause more problems than it would solve by getting the occasional missed play correct.

Now in the post season, I can see the cause for expanded replay. But for regular season play I am against it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/18/2013 4:20 PM

Re: Expanded replay 



bicyclemike wrote: The last thing baseball needs is something else to lengthen the games. Because the "action" is relatively sparse and the game has a lot of dead time anyway, adding to that would in my opinion cause more problems than it would solve by getting the occasional missed play correct.

Now in the post season, I can see the cause for expanded replay. But for regular season play I am against it.
It could be done it a way that actually enhances the action.  Since good plays are so few and far between, if the crowd was allowed to follow the same replays and all the angles in real time with those reviewing the plays (via the jumbo trom) the time wouldn't be dead time but actually an enhancement of the few exciting plays that happen.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/18/2013 4:35 PM

Re: Expanded replay 


I feel like it could be instituted fairly easily and quickly. There is enough time between an out and the first pitch to the next batter that a replay official up in a booth could watch the replay once or twice and determine if it should be reviewed further by the home plate umpire. I don't think it would increase the game length significantly. I know that the human element has been part of the game for a long time, but now that the technology exists to get calls right more consistently I'd much rather have the game last 10 minutes longer with less outcome influenced by poor decisions by umpires. 

I agree with CC too, if the replays were up on the Screens at stadiums, I don't think the downtime would be incredibly boring. It would add suspense to the more exciting plays.

No question about replays in the playoffs. I understand the extra time argument in the regular season, but when it comes to the playoffs no team should be cheated by a bad umpire call. If there was instant replay in 1985 the Cardinals would have celebrated their 12th WS in 2011 rather than their 11th. 

The human aspect that upsets me the most is Balls and Strikes. I feel like the Umps consistently do a poor job of calling balls and strikes. I'd much rather let the consistency of 3D imaging call balls and strikes. At least then there'd be a level playing field across all games. I get frustrated watching umpires call obvious balls strikes just because the catcher framed the ball well.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/18/2013 9:46 PM

Re: Expanded replay 



bicyclemike wrote: The last thing baseball needs is something else to lengthen the games. Because the "action" is relatively sparse and the game has a lot of dead time anyway, adding to that would in my opinion cause more problems than it would solve by getting the occasional missed play correct.

Now in the post season, I can see the cause for expanded replay. But for regular season play I am against it.

bike-imo and many others, the "action" in baseball is exactly like that of a replay situation. The anticipation of the future event is the thrill. If you put a 30 second time limit and a 3 draw (football) limit on challenges it would add minimal time and some excitement, and also achieve the ultimate goal of correct calls...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 7:50 AM

Re: Expanded replay 



grayssportsalmanac wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- 619illinibooyah wrote:

Just letting everyone know I am not in favor of any replay system.

From what it sounds like money is a driving force. Also some of the things they we're willing to replay didn't exactly happen all the time. Lot's of other reasons but also consider the umps union as ones holding it up.

---------------------------------------------

619- im always curious as to why people are against replay in mlb. Are you against it in football? If it would add 5-10 minutes max to every game would you still be against it?
One of the reasons I stopped watching football.

Expanded replay will not add only 5 minutes to a game.  Does it only add 5 minutes to football?  Of course it doesn't.  You can talk all you want about how to implement it, but the bottom line is that it is a slippery slope that will eventually end in making baseball too long and less interesting.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/19/2013 11:36 AM

Re: Expanded replay 


It takes the human element out of the game.

Yes I realize we've been on the wrong end of the stick on calls but just leave it alone. Plus I'm afraid if we add little things to replay we will start balls and strikes and that would be a disastet.

---------------------------------------------
--- grayssportsalmanac wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- 619illinibooyah wrote:

Just letting everyone know I am not in favor of any replay system.

From what it sounds like money is a driving force. Also some of the things they we're willing to replay didn't exactly happen all the time. Lot's of other reasons but also consider the umps union as ones holding it up.

---------------------------------------------

619- im always curious as to why people are against replay in mlb. Are you against it in football? If it would add 5-10 minutes max to every game would you still be against it?

---------------------------------------------

 Suggested U. of Illinois mascots

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/21/2013 7:34 PM

Re: Expanded replay 


Difference with football, the managers can't just walk on the field any time they would like to ask questions/argue with the refs.

I would be for a 3D imaged strike zone, throw the flag from the dugout(2 per game) replays, and fine any manager who comes out of the dugout.  I also think they should either have a replay ref (more ref jobs should mean a happy ump union), or move the replay "booth" somewhere closer than wherever they disappear to now.  Really, the extra ref is the way to go.

Net effect is the games shorten, with the exception that with an accurate and consistent strike zone, I would imagine offense would pick up, which would lengthen a game, but perhaps in an exciting way.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >