Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 3  

Re: Cards add Wigginton

Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 6:28 PM

Re: Cards add Wigginton 



Jmodene1 wrote:
stlcards5129 wrote:
I never liked the guy. I still remember when he lit up Molina at home plate 8 years ago, I've dislike him since. If he can revert back to his 2008 numbers I'd be thrilled, but I doubt that's likely given he's 35 years old and coming off of 4 poor seasons.
As a bench player, he'll be fine.  And as for not liking him going back to 2004, just remember that we all used to hate Will Clark, too. ;-)
Did you just compare Ty Wigginton to Will Clark?

(I know what you're saying, I'm just giving you a hard time. Point being, Will Clark destroyed for the Cardinals in 2000. I don't think Ty will do anything to stop me from disliking him. I hope he does, but I seriously doubt it.)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/24/2012 11:42 AM

Re: Cards add Wigginton 



stlcards5129 wrote:
Jmodene1 wrote:
stlcards5129 wrote:
I never liked the guy. I still remember when he lit up Molina at home plate 8 years ago, I've dislike him since. If he can revert back to his 2008 numbers I'd be thrilled, but I doubt that's likely given he's 35 years old and coming off of 4 poor seasons.
As a bench player, he'll be fine.  And as for not liking him going back to 2004, just remember that we all used to hate Will Clark, too. ;-)
Did you just compare Ty Wigginton to Will Clark?

(I know what you're saying, I'm just giving you a hard time. Point being, Will Clark destroyed for the Cardinals in 2000. I don't think Ty will do anything to stop me from disliking him. I hope he does, but I seriously doubt it.)
"Did you just compare Ty Wiggnton to Will Clark?" biggrinbiggrinbiggrin This should be the post of the month! Actually i think JMod is on to something though. I know he can't hold Clark's jock strap but he is a similar personality. Cards fans are going to hate this guy when he is striking out at a high rate but they will love his spirit. This guy has a scary game face like Clark when the chips are down and is not afraid of anyone or to take one to the head. He is a "you are either with me or against me" guy which is why i think he and Molina will get along just fine. I always thought Ty was an under rated fielder especially at third base. He has surprisingly soft hands for a big guy and has a cannon of an arm. His value to this team could come in the outfield though as thats where he will have the most opportunity. He is similar to Holli in the outfield and is better than most think in the infield although his range is not what it used to be. His numbers WILL NOT show his value to this team. I actually like this signing but i was shocked he got $5 Mill since his numbers have been sliding. Unless he has hit the wall this guy is a lot better than most here think. If you look at it as a roster spot trade for Schumaker i think we did pretty well. They were in contact with Ty and his agent immediatly after the season ended which tells me a lot.

GO CARDS!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/24/2012 12:06 PM

Re: Cards add Wigginton 



cardinalnationhouston wrote:
stlcards5129 wrote:
Jmodene1 wrote:
stlcards5129 wrote:
I never liked the guy. I still remember when he lit up Molina at home plate 8 years ago, I've dislike him since. If he can revert back to his 2008 numbers I'd be thrilled, but I doubt that's likely given he's 35 years old and coming off of 4 poor seasons.
As a bench player, he'll be fine.  And as for not liking him going back to 2004, just remember that we all used to hate Will Clark, too. ;-)
Did you just compare Ty Wigginton to Will Clark?

(I know what you're saying, I'm just giving you a hard time. Point being, Will Clark destroyed for the Cardinals in 2000. I don't think Ty will do anything to stop me from disliking him. I hope he does, but I seriously doubt it.)
"Did you just compare Ty Wiggnton to Will Clark?" biggrinbiggrinbiggrin This should be the post of the month! Actually i think JMod is on to something though. I know he can't hold Clark's jock strap but he is a similar personality. Cards fans are going to hate this guy when he is striking out at a high rate but they will love his spirit. This guy has a scary game face like Clark when the chips are down and is not afraid of anyone or to take one to the head. He is a "you are either with me or against me" guy which is why i think he and Molina will get along just fine. I always thought Ty was an under rated fielder especially at third base. He has surprisingly soft hands for a big guy and has a cannon of an arm. His value to this team could come in the outfield though as thats where he will have the most opportunity. He is similar to Holli in the outfield and is better than most think in the infield although his range is not what it used to be. His numbers WILL NOT show his value to this team. I actually like this signing but i was shocked he got $5 Mill since his numbers have been sliding. Unless he has hit the wall this guy is a lot better than most here think. If you look at it as a roster spot trade for Schumaker i think we did pretty well. They were in contact with Ty and his agent immediatly after the season ended which tells me a lot.

Wasn't the $5MM split over the two seasons?  If so, that's a pay cut - he made $4MM in 2011 alone, IIRC.

You raise an interesting point, though - Mo does seem to place a high value on a player's character/clubhouse/personality rather than just looking at the numbers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/16/2013 5:15 AM

Re: Cards add Wigginton 


I know Wigginton has come up in several posts, but this is the only post I found devoted to him, I had to go back a long way to find it.

I don't think any Cardinals fan was happy about the Wigginton signing then and now that almost a 1/4 of the year into the season I think most of us feel the production Wigginton has provided has proven our doubts correct.

Most of us would have preferred Scott Hairston (who signed an identical contract with the cubs) over Wigginton (I think the Cardinals' FO also preferred Hairton but Hairston preferred the playing time he expected to get from the cubs).

So far Hairston has received about twice as many PA as Wigginton and has been about seven times worst (per fangraphs WAR).

 

Season Team G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ Fld BsR WAR

2013, Cardinals, 20, 28, 0, 5, 1, 0, 10.7 %, 35.7 %, .040, .333, .200, .286, .240, .229, 41, 0.3, 0.0, -0.1

2013, Cubs, 26, 52, 3, 3, 7, 1, 1.9 %, 13.5 %, .229, .075, .125, .154, .354, .212, 24, -2.3, -0.8, -0.7

 


21st Century postseason wins:
St. Louis(56),NYY(51),BOS(45),SFG(33),PHI(27),DET(25),LAA(21),TEX(18),ARI(16),LAD(14),TB-ATL-HOU-OAK(13),CHW(12),FLA(11),COL-CLE(8),MIL-MIN(6),CHC(6),NYM(6),SEA(4),PIT-BAL(3),CIN-WAS(2),SD(1),TOR-KC(0)

Last edited 5/16/2013 5:16 AM by Oqie11

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/16/2013 6:33 AM

Re: Cards add Wigginton 



Oqie11 wrote: I know Wigginton has come up in several posts, but this is the only post I found devoted to him, I had to go back a long way to find it.

I don't think any Cardinals fan was happy about the Wigginton signing then and now that almost a 1/4 of the year into the season I think most of us feel the production Wigginton has provided has proven our doubts correct.

Most of us would have preferred Scott Hairston (who signed an identical contract with the cubs) over Wigginton (I think the Cardinals' FO also preferred Hairton but Hairston preferred the playing time he expected to get from the cubs).

So far Hairston has received about twice as many PA as Wigginton and has been about seven times worst (per fangraphs WAR).

 

Season Team G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ Fld BsR WAR

2013, Cardinals, 20, 28, 0, 5, 1, 0, 10.7 %, 35.7 %, .040, .333, .200, .286, .240, .229, 41, 0.3, 0.0, -0.1

2013, Cubs, 26, 52, 3, 3, 7, 1, 1.9 %, 13.5 %, .229, .075, .125, .154, .354, .212, 24, -2.3, -0.8, -0.7

 

Yeah, but it's the Cubs.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/16/2013 7:36 AM

RE: Cards add Wigginton 


It stands to reason that Mo's bad decisions will be seven times less bad than the Cubs' bad decisions.

Wiggy puts the aw in awesome.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/16/2013 10:49 AM

RE: Cards add Wigginton 


Is this thread messed up for everyone else? Or is it just me?

21st Century postseason wins:
St. Louis(56),NYY(51),BOS(45),SFG(33),PHI(27),DET(25),LAA(21),TEX(18),ARI(16),LAD(14),TB-ATL-HOU-OAK(13),CHW(12),FLA(11),COL-CLE(8),MIL-MIN(6),CHC(6),NYM(6),SEA(4),PIT-BAL(3),CIN-WAS(2),SD(1),TOR-KC(0)

Last edited 5/16/2013 10:50 AM by Oqie11

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 3