Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 13  Next >

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr

Avatar

Posted: 12/14/2012 7:02 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Pham is #58. Now voting #59.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 8:15 PM

Re: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting 



SoonerinNC wrote: Those lists are totally on performance. Not saying any of them are not prospects but the milb lists usually contain a lot of non-prospects who had a good year at their level. I also believe that defense is not much of a factor in their selections.

Montero, for instance, had a horrible stint at Quad Cities but was really good at Batavia. Perez got off to the same kind of start at Springfield but turned it around over the final three months. Perez clearly needs to improve his control of the strike zone and show some of the power he displayed in his early career but he was pretty tough at the plate in the latter part of the season. It would have been interesting for Perez to go to the Arizona Fall League but there are not a lot of Latins that go there because of the winter Caribean Leagues.
Montero has strong bloodlines being the younger brother of the other Jesus Montero for Seattle.  He has quick feet behind the plate a great arm.  Hopefully his bat develops.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 8:43 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Just a quick survey. What is everyone looking for at this point? Someone that may contribute in a small way at some point? Or someone who may not be in America yet who has tons of talent? Or a non-prospect who has good stats?

Barrett Browning may still contribute to some team if he can get back what he lost. How about Nic Longmire who has TONS of talent. How about any of the kids down in the Dominican?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 9:27 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


How has Leobaldo Pina developed?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 9:36 PM

Re: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting 


Pina had a good year in 2012. Still young. The team's strength was pitching.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/14/2012 9:45 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Does Alex Reyes deserve a spot somewhere?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/14/2012 9:53 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


At this point, I'm looking for a guy who stands out somehow. Don't care so much what kind of guy. The first thing these guys need to do is stand out from the crowd. Sherriff is an example. 10-3 in 16 starts stands out within the cluster of young pitchers on the board, however meaningless one may think wins is.

The problem with guys who haven't made it to the US yet is I don't know much other than what I get from Leonda's reports, and I have no sense of the level of competition, or if anything much is know about personal makeup.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 10:13 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Ben Freeman was outstanding last year in Batavia. He also had outstanding stats out of HS, a tall projectable body with good stuff. I'll take him next.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 10:15 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Let me give some possible names...

Hector Hernandez
Ben Freeman
Nic Longmire
Juan Bautista
Dewen Perez
Amauerus Capellan
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 10:27 PM

Re: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting 


#59 Jholan Acevedo.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 10:28 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Luis Perez and Luis Cruz are also worth looking into...

DT what do you know about Acevedo? Haven't heard much on him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 11:33 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 



scadder21 wrote: Luis Perez and Luis Cruz are also worth looking into...

DT what do you know about Acevedo? Haven't heard much on him.
Acevedo was named the GCL 2012 player of the year and was one of their most consistent producers at the plate for GCL. This 19 year old Venezuelan outfielder signed in 2010.  The GCL manager was strongly impressed by his tool set. Tools that include above-average defensively in CF, runs and throws above-average as well has gap-to-gap power to all fields while his work ethic and intangibles are said to be off the charts just does all the little things to help you win ballgames. It seems like he's a lot like 2011 2nd rounder Charlie Tilson (less signing bonus): virtually the same age, same size, gap hitters, both speedy with good arms and good defensive outfielders.

In my opinion is very underrated in the system.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 11:36 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 



scadder21 wrote: Let me give some possible names...

Hector Hernandez
Ben Freeman
Nic Longmire
Juan Bautista
Dewen Perez
Amauerus Capellan
haven't heard much about Hernandez in recent memory. Does he still throw in the low-to-mid 90s?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/14/2012 11:39 PM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 



HighJump31 wrote: Does Alex Reyes deserve a spot somewhere?
The signing of Reyes hasn't even become official yet to major league baseball the contract still has to be approved. That's said Reyes doesn't deserve a spot anywhere yet.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/15/2012 12:19 AM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 



DTFlush234 wrote:
scadder21 wrote: Let me give some possible names...

Hector Hernandez
Ben Freeman
Nic Longmire
Juan Bautista
Dewen Perez
Amauerus Capellan
haven't heard much about Hernandez in recent memory. Does he still throw in the low-to-mid 90s?
He never threw mid 90's  He's at 89-92 with an excellent curveball.  Sometime he can lose his control but he had a very quality season at QC.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/15/2012 12:21 AM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


He threw a few really really bad stinker games but 70 percent of his starts were very good starts.

On a side note..I just checked out Scruggs trying to find out how "bad" his season was.  He walked a surprisingly high amount of times. 58 walks in 130 games.  Despite having a horrendous .235 BA his OBP was .330.  Not sure if the pitchers were just bad in the Texas League or if he has a good eye but just swings through alot of good pitchers pitches.  Either way his power is real and I think he deserves to be one of our Top 70 prospects.

Last edited 12/15/2012 12:37 AM by scadder21

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/15/2012 5:10 AM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


---------------------------------------------
--- scadder21 wrote:

Just a quick survey. What is everyone looking for at this point? Someone that may contribute in a small way at some point? Or someone who may not be in America yet who has tons of talent?

---------------------------------------------

A bit off topic. but a good question nonetheless, Scadder. I'm looking for the wife to stop badgering me about stupid things....."do this and do that"....it gets old....real old! Could the solution to this be looking outside America? To be honest, I really don't know, Scadder? Going the Russian mail order bride route seems a bit iffy, but it's certainly something to chew on.
This Leobaldo chap who NigelT speaks of, intrigues me. Anyone seen him play? It now seems fruitless to cast a vote in Kiekhefer's direction as everyone else seems to have forgotten about him.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/15/2012 7:40 AM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 


Well, there are a ton of guys to look at. I appreciate the info.

Since they are mostly young, short season guys, I'm thinking the way to best use a limited amount of time is to go to minorleaguecentral.com. They have pretty good info on low level guys, especially splits and game logs. Its a pretty ridiculous way to rate guys, I know, but its the best I've got.

I'll also factor in the blurbs about different guys from commenters, but my votes will probably reflect my vantage point. I haven't cast any vote at all in some of these last few rounds, being in a state of confusion and without the time to do it justice.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/15/2012 9:43 AM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 



pugsleyaddams wrote: ---------------------------------------------
--- scadder21 wrote:

Just a quick survey. What is everyone looking for at this point? Someone that may contribute in a small way at some point? Or someone who may not be in America yet who has tons of talent?

---------------------------------------------

A bit off topic. but a good question nonetheless, Scadder. I'm looking for the wife to stop badgering me about stupid things....."do this and do that"....it gets old....real old! Could the solution to this be looking outside America? To be honest, I really don't know, Scadder? Going the Russian mail order bride route seems a bit iffy, but it's certainly something to chew on.
This Leobaldo chap who NigelT speaks of, intrigues me. Anyone seen him play? It now seems fruitless to cast a vote in Kiekhefer's direction as everyone else seems to have forgotten about him.
I think that Russian brides may nag less.  They wouldn't want to get sent back to Mother Russia so I'm assuming they would be more agreeable. Plus if they do nag you don't know the language anyway so you can just pretend they are saying something sweet and kind to you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/15/2012 9:48 AM

RE: Continued 2013 Cardinal Nation Community Prospect Voting Thr 



blingboy wrote: Well, there are a ton of guys to look at. I appreciate the info.

Since they are mostly young, short season guys, I'm thinking the way to best use a limited amount of time is to go to minorleaguecentral.com. They have pretty good info on low level guys, especially splits and game logs. Its a pretty ridiculous way to rate guys, I know, but its the best I've got.

I'll also factor in the blurbs about different guys from commenters, but my votes will probably reflect my vantage point. I haven't cast any vote at all in some of these last few rounds, being in a state of confusion and without the time to do it justice.
Personally for me at this stage I don't care much about splits and more about talent level and word of mouth.  For example...

Ronald Castillo is still young for JC- Has a MLB body a huge arm and got a Vlad comp from Moises Rodriquez years ago but still hasn't developed much yet. But still has time.

Rainel Rosiaro is a FA but I hope we keep him.  Again linebacker body, great arm and tons of power started off slow at Springfield and was demoted and never had the season at Palm Beach that he had last year.  He's a project.

Ronny Gil- Despite having a horrible batting average at Palm Beach he still had good extra base pop, is a switch hitter, has plus range and a good arm.  Everyone looking for a future SS seems to have forgotten about him.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 13  Next >