Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4)

Avatar

Posted: 08/31/2014 9:21 PM

Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



 

@
 
 
56-79
 
 64-71
 
Monday   ●   September 1   ●   1:10 PM   ●   TV: FSSD


RHP Trevor Cahill

3-9, 4.98 ERA
86.2 IP, 48 HR, 40 BB
78 K, .284 BAA



vs


RHP Tyson Ross

12-12, 2.64 ERA
181 IP, 12 HR, 64 BB
176 K, .224 BAA
 
Tuesday   ●   September 2   ●   7:10 PM   ●   TV: FSSD
 

RHP Wade Miley
7-10, 4.30 ERA
176 IP, 23 HR, 62 BB
163 K, .261 BAA



vs


RHP Odrisamer Despaigne

3-5, 3.24 ERA
72.1 IP, 5 HR, 25 BB
50 K, .243 BAA
 
Wednesday   ●   September 3   ●   7:05 PM   ●   TV: FSSD, ESPN


RHP Josh Collmenter

9-7, 3.94 ERA
144 IP, 17 HR, 34 BB
100 K, .258 BAA



vs


RHP Andrew Cashner

2-6, 2.37 ERA
87.1 IP, 3 HR, 24 BB
68 K, .245 BAA
 
Thursday   ●   September 4   ●   6:10 PM   ●   TV: FSSD


LHP Vidal Nuno

2-9, 4.46 ERA
139.1 IP, 22 HR, 38 BB
109 K, .247 BAA



vs



RHP Ian Kennedy

0-0, 0.00 ERA
0 IP, 0 HR, 0 BB
0 K, .000 BAA




GO PADRES!


 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 10:52 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


Well …. Spangenberg is starting at 3B today! Well seasoned at 3B I guess …. he has played all of 7 games there this season in AA.  Good luck to him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 11:00 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


Fenn, why is it not surprising to you that Bud would play someone out of position in their major league debut? It's not as if these kids have any pressure on them..........

Last edited 09/01/2014 1:35 PM by WindsorUK

Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 11:04 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


And can the Padres finally sweep an inferior team at home in a 4 game series?!

Looking at the probable starters for Arizona, we should score some runs.

And,of course,winning is soooooo much better than losing( just thought I'd add that for all the" We should lose to get a higher draft pick" crowd)

Go Padres!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 11:44 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



WindsorUK wrote: And can the Padres finally sweep an inferior team at home in a 4 game series?!

Looking at the probable starters for Arizona, we should score some runs.

And,of course,winning is soooooo much better than losing( just thought I'd add that for all the" We should lose to get a higher draft pick" crowd)

Go Padres!
Dont want to kill you Buzz Windsor, but these are the series where the Pads usually struggle-series they look to have the upper hand. Hope Im wrong, but I will be watching if for no other reason than to see Spangenberg make his MLB debut out of position at 3b. Why not move the Jerko store? Another head scratching move by Black. Im losing my hair...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 1:34 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


I know exactly what you're saying Clay. Our boys need to step up though. Time to sweep these guys.

I'm with you on Gyorko as well. I wonder if Bud has actually asked Jed where he'd like to play. That would certainly give us a better idea going forward.

Outside of Headley, we've had what, 5 guys man 3rd base? Solarte, Peterson, Amarista, Nelson, and now Spangenberg. I think all those same guys have played 2nd as well, plus Gyorko. So that's 6 3rd basemen and 6 2nd basemen. I'm all for versatility but that's a joke. Bud needs to find a guy he think can play the position and let him run with it. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this nonsense next year( either Bud finally figuring it out or preferably, Bud being gone)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 2:04 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


This just in:

espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/114...nager-bo-porter

So, Houston expected to be bad this year, accomplished that goal, and STILL they fire their manager. We lose year after year, with even modest hopes that are seldom realized, and yet OUR manager keeps his job.

Anyone think the Astros make the postseason before we do?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 3:15 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



WindsorUK wrote: This just in:

espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/114...nager-bo-porter

So, Houston expected to be bad this year, accomplished that goal, and STILL they fire their manager. We lose year after year, with even modest hopes that are seldom realized, and yet OUR manager keeps his job.

Anyone think the Astros make the postseason before we do?
Porter didn't get fired because Houston is losing … actually their GM (Luhnow) has no issue with them losing and has said that openly (bet the Padre fans would love that approach). Basically he didn't care how bad the were in the short run but aimed for a longer term success by getting prospects developed into his image. Porter got fired apparently because he was not following the "in game" directions to him from Luhnow. If you go back … a number of manager candidates withdrew because of Luhnow's approach to running the field game.

If you think Beane is a numbers guy … you have not seen anything like Luhnow who runs everything via computer simulations for scouting, player development, to on the field strategy …. and tells the field folks what to do daily and apparently during the game.

What is scary … that may be the future in all baseball … so Black's approach could be really ahead of the trend. Old school guys like me will never get used to it but I guess some old guys said that when football went to unlimited substitutions and situational substitutions a half a century ago. Stats say that give a better chance of winning … and hard to argue with a computer.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 3:17 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



WindsorUK wrote: Fenn, why is it not surprising to you that Bud would play someone out of position in their major league debut? It's not as if these kids have any pressure on them..........
Someone reminded be that Spangenberg was a 3B when the Padres drafted him and was converted to a 2B … so not totally lost out there … plus saw him make to "gold glove" type plays already.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 3:24 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



WindsorUK wrote: I know exactly what you're saying Clay. Our boys need to step up though. Time to sweep these guys.

I'm with you on Gyorko as well. I wonder if Bud has actually asked Jed where he'd like to play. That would certainly give us a better idea going forward.

Outside of Headley, we've had what, 5 guys man 3rd base? Solarte, Peterson, Amarista, Nelson, and now Spangenberg. I think all those same guys have played 2nd as well, plus Gyorko. So that's 6 3rd basemen and 6 2nd basemen. I'm all for versatility but that's a joke. Bud needs to find a guy he think can play the position and let him run with it. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this nonsense next year( either Bud finally figuring it out or preferably, Bud being gone)
I am beginning to get the sense the Padres don't like Gyorko as a 3B defensively. Remember he was a SS/2B in college when they drafted him and converted him to 3B as a pro. Maybe after watching him for 3 years at 3B in the minor leagues the scouts and player development folks just said 2B is his better position. The real window was when Headley was dealt … but they just kept him at 2B running others out there … so I expect that Gyorko is now locked into the 2B role.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 4:25 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



FENN68 wrote:
WindsorUK wrote: I know exactly what you're saying Clay. Our boys need to step up though. Time to sweep these guys.

I'm with you on Gyorko as well. I wonder if Bud has actually asked Jed where he'd like to play. That would certainly give us a better idea going forward.

Outside of Headley, we've had what, 5 guys man 3rd base? Solarte, Peterson, Amarista, Nelson, and now Spangenberg. I think all those same guys have played 2nd as well, plus Gyorko. So that's 6 3rd basemen and 6 2nd basemen. I'm all for versatility but that's a joke. Bud needs to find a guy he think can play the position and let him run with it. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this nonsense next year( either Bud finally figuring it out or preferably, Bud being gone)
I am beginning to get the sense the Padres don't like Gyorko as a 3B defensively. Remember he was a SS/2B in college when they drafted him and converted him to 3B as a pro. Maybe after watching him for 3 years at 3B in the minor leagues the scouts and player development folks just said 2B is his better position. The real window was when Headley was dealt … but they just kept him at 2B running others out there … so I expect that Gyorko is now locked into the 2B role.
I'm okay with Jed at 2nd. He seems to make all the plays and his power is a huge plus.

As for 3rd, Solarte has been solid, and if Spangenberg continues his upward trajectory, I wouldn't mind those 2 vying for the 3rd base job next year. The lack of power would concern me, therefore they've got to find that everyday outfielder, or perhaps 1st baseman, to fill the void.

Ist base has to be a concern as well. No way in hell Alonso goes into 2015 camp as the incumbent. Medica can't buy a foul ball since he got beaned in the head. I'm not sure Goebert is good enough to play everyday. And who do we have down on the farm? Is Grandal an option? Or Seth Smith?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/01/2014 4:50 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



WindsorUK wrote:
FENN68 wrote:
WindsorUK wrote: I know exactly what you're saying Clay. Our boys need to step up though. Time to sweep these guys.

I'm with you on Gyorko as well. I wonder if Bud has actually asked Jed where he'd like to play. That would certainly give us a better idea going forward.

Outside of Headley, we've had what, 5 guys man 3rd base? Solarte, Peterson, Amarista, Nelson, and now Spangenberg. I think all those same guys have played 2nd as well, plus Gyorko. So that's 6 3rd basemen and 6 2nd basemen. I'm all for versatility but that's a joke. Bud needs to find a guy he think can play the position and let him run with it. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this nonsense next year( either Bud finally figuring it out or preferably, Bud being gone)
I am beginning to get the sense the Padres don't like Gyorko as a 3B defensively. Remember he was a SS/2B in college when they drafted him and converted him to 3B as a pro. Maybe after watching him for 3 years at 3B in the minor leagues the scouts and player development folks just said 2B is his better position. The real window was when Headley was dealt … but they just kept him at 2B running others out there … so I expect that Gyorko is now locked into the 2B role.
I'm okay with Jed at 2nd. He seems to make all the plays and his power is a huge plus.

As for 3rd, Solarte has been solid, and if Spangenberg continues his upward trajectory, I wouldn't mind those 2 vying for the 3rd base job next year. The lack of power would concern me, therefore they've got to find that everyday outfielder, or perhaps 1st baseman, to fill the void.

Ist base has to be a concern as well. No way in hell Alonso goes into 2015 camp as the incumbent. Medica can't buy a foul ball since he got beaned in the head. I'm not sure Goebert is good enough to play everyday. And who do we have down on the farm? Is Grandal an option? Or Seth Smith?
I think the extended audition of Grandal at 1B over the past week (over Medica / Goebbert) probably gives us a clue that we might be seeing Grandal as the 1B in 2015 … he has the power and plays 1B well enough plus he is not all that good a defensive C (which is something Black / Balsey prefer).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/01/2014 8:23 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


Quakenbush has just been lights out.  Struck out the side in the 9th today.  Looks like we found our closer for a few years and our set up man in Nick Vincent.  What if?  If only we had an average offensive earlier in the year.

Last edited 09/01/2014 9:10 PM by thrownoutatsecond

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/02/2014 5:35 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


claykirby1969 wrote:
WindsorUK wrote: And can the Padres finally sweep an inferior team at home in a 4 game series?!

Looking at the probable starters for Arizona, we should score some runs.

And,of course,winning is soooooo much better than losing( just thought I'd add that for all the" We should lose to get a higher draft pick" crowd)

Go Padres!
Dont want to kill you Buzz Windsor, but these are the series where the Pads usually struggle-series they look to have the upper hand. Hope Im wrong, but I will be watching if for no other reason than to see Spangenberg make his MLB debut out of position at 3b. Why not move the Jerko store? Another head scratching move by Black. Im losing my hair...

Yeah, another head scratching move by Buddy . . . I don't know why in the heck he thinks that Spangenberg can play third! He's so stupid. 

In the O'Malley Boys I Trust
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/02/2014 7:53 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


Forget how Spangy played. I was a little unnerved by how he looked.

If I hadn't been paying attention at the trade deadline, I would have assumed it was Headley out there at the hot corner.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/02/2014 11:41 AM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



LevelAgain wrote: Forget how Spangy played. I was a little unnerved by how he looked.

If I hadn't been paying attention at the trade deadline, I would have assumed it was Headley out there at the hot corner.
Huh?
He looks like a ballplayer to me!

Are you being sarcastic here Level.....I'm guessing?
Is it how he wears his socks?





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/02/2014 2:14 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



MrPadre19 wrote:
Are you being sarcastic here Level.....I'm guessing?
Surprisingly, no. I'm not.

The facial hair. The hair color. The lean build. The lousy-goosy, lefty swing.  Visually, he reminded me of Headley.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/02/2014 2:37 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


How about salary?

In the O'Malley Boys I Trust
Reply | Quote

Posted: 09/02/2014 4:23 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 



hoffy51 wrote:
claykirby1969 wrote:
WindsorUK wrote: And can the Padres finally sweep an inferior team at home in a 4 game series?!

Looking at the probable starters for Arizona, we should score some runs.

And,of course,winning is soooooo much better than losing( just thought I'd add that for all the" We should lose to get a higher draft pick" crowd)

Go Padres!
Dont want to kill you Buzz Windsor, but these are the series where the Pads usually struggle-series they look to have the upper hand. Hope Im wrong, but I will be watching if for no other reason than to see Spangenberg make his MLB debut out of position at 3b. Why not move the Jerko store? Another head scratching move by Black. Im losing my hair...

Yeah, another head scratching move by Buddy . . . I don't know why in the heck he thinks that Spangenberg can play third! He's so stupid. 

C'mon Hoffy, even a broken clock is right twice a day. A handful games at 3rd over the past 4 years does not make him Brooks Robinson.

As for Bud not being stupid, Cameron Maybin pinch running.........

Last edited 09/02/2014 4:24 PM by WindsorUK

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 09/02/2014 9:01 PM

Re: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres (Sept. 1 - 4) 


Already 2 base running blunders by Almonte and Liriano allowing themselves to be picked off by a mile.


 

Last edited 09/02/2014 9:01 PM by ultratvfan

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >