Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

New MLB Commisioner

Posted: 08/13/2014 9:39 AM

New MLB Commisioner 


Thursday, MLB owners are scheduled to vote on a new Commissioner to replace Selig … before you cheer take a careful look at what we might get.

Potentially the lead candidate is Tom Werner …. yes THAT tom Werner that led the gang of 16 that owned the Padres prior to Moores and gave us Roseanne Barr signing the National Anthem to the mockery of the US plus some ugly fire sales. He is among the three finalists and is supported by some heavy weights …. Riensdorf, Henry, Moreno. His selling point is that he brings a different futuristic approach (unlike his two competitors who are long time MLB FO types).

Additionally, some of the owners want the Commission to be more aggressive and combative with the players' union stating that the league did not get enough out of the recent negotiations (not good for one of the candidates who is the lawyer involved in labor negotiations).

If that all comes down tomorrow …. mark you calendars for December, 2016 … the current CBA expires … 2017 a strike year? Plan your 2017 summers accordingly.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 10:01 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


Werner is scum. This whole thing is unreal to me.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 10:21 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


On one hand I agree that the MLBPA is just too dang powerful.
Something needs to be done to "reign them in" a bit.
But....it has to be done slowly and in such a way that we don't disrupt the games.





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 10:23 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


There are no two men I detest more in San Diego sports history than AJ Smith and Tom Werner. I agree with Davey. It's insane that a guy that destroyed a city's team like he did ours could ever be considered for commissioner. You've gotta think he's Reinsdorf's guy for the same reason Selig managed to stick around so long... Allegiance to the other owners instead of to the game itself.

Whatever. It'll be disgusting if he's elected.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/13/2014 10:47 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


As a Padre fan since 1969 and someone who watched Werner come in here and pillage, not to mention have Roseann sing the National Anthem Im getting sick at my stomach with the understanding that he may become the next commish. Premier League football is looking better by the minute...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/13/2014 11:07 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


Is Werner the one that got rid of Sheffield and Roberto Alomar?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 6:11 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



ChargersWinII wrote: Is Werner the one that got rid of Sheffield and Roberto Alomar?
I'm actually not sure of Alomar was under his watch, but Benes and Hurst and Sheffield and McGriff all were. Plus he refused to spend enough money to sign Troy Glaus and Todd Helton when we drafted them.

So yeah. He was a big ol bag o'd*cks.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 6:43 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


The Padres never had a chance at Troy Glaus as the Padres pick was after the Angels no.2 pick in the 1997 draft. However, they could have drafted Todd Helton in the 1995 draft, but instead they used their no. 2 pick for catcher Ben Davis.




 THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/13/2014 8:47 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


Padres drafted Glaus out of High School in 1994 during the Tom Werner era. He went to college instead and was drafted three years later by the Angels.

Werner sucked the Pads dry of resources to pay off his debts. He'd be a horrible commissioner and hopefully his name was just floated as a distraction and power play by others.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 9:57 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



ultratvfan wrote: The Padres never had a chance at Troy Glaus as the Padres pick was after the Angels no.2 pick in the 1997 draft. However, they could have drafted Todd Helton in the 1995 draft, but instead they used their no. 2 pick for catcher Ben Davis.
Gotta be quicker than that, ultra! Like the last poster said, the Padres drafted him out of high school in 94. He went to college instead of signing in part because of ownership's stinginess. Moores wasn't the only one who didn't like to spend on amateur drafts.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/13/2014 11:18 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


I looked it up and it was the 1992 draft. They had a second chance at him 1n 1995 and passed up? What were they thinking?




 THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/14/2014 8:31 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



ultratvfan wrote: The Padres never had a chance at Troy Glaus as the Padres pick was after the Angels no.2 pick in the 1997 draft. However, they could have drafted Todd Helton in the 1995 draft, but instead they used their no. 2 pick for catcher Ben Davis.
In the telecast yesterday they said Helton stated in an interview that he didn't sign with the Padres because his parents were going through a divorce and it seemed like the wrong time to go pro. He went to school instead. So, it seems, that it had nothing to do with money but bad timing.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/14/2014 4:44 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


Sanity has prevailed. Rob Manfred is the next MLB commissioner.

http://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-is-your-next-mlb-commissioner-1621881095
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/14/2014 10:15 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


Listening to national radio tonight, apparently the reason they chose Manfred was bc he is a labor specialist and Selig and co want to continue to do whatever the MLBPA want.

Owners are making more money, players are making more money, it is a win win for everyone (per the ESPN radio guy)

-------------------------------------

IMO I disagree.  BC the person who gets screwed over by this is the fan.  It already costs a ridiculous amount to go to a baseball game, and I think that and SD is one of the cheapest places.  Of course players and owners will make more money, but the fans are the ones paying for it.  

What it really means is that all hope of ever having a salary cap has gone on the door
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/14/2014 11:30 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



sportwarrior wrote: Sanity has prevailed. Rob Manfred is the next MLB commissioner.

http://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-is-your-next-mlb-commissioner-1621881095
Not sure if it is sanity Sport, but more staus quo, biz as usual. I used to think that before Selig, the other Commishes were somewhat baseball guys and not just owner pawns ie Fay, Vincent, Kuhn, or were they just owner bitches as well? Anyone?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/15/2014 6:48 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



BenDavey wrote: Listening to national radio tonight, apparently the reason they chose Manfred was bc he is a labor specialist and Selig and co want to continue to do whatever the MLBPA want.

Owners are making more money, players are making more money, it is a win win for everyone (per the ESPN radio guy)

-------------------------------------

IMO I disagree.  BC the person who gets screwed over by this is the fan.  It already costs a ridiculous amount to go to a baseball game, and I think that and SD is one of the cheapest places.  Of course players and owners will make more money, but the fans are the ones paying for it.  

What it really means is that all hope of ever having a salary cap has gone on the door
If the owners and the players are making money … it must be the fans that are providing it at record levels … so maybe it is not all that bad for all (or even most) of the fans. "Fans" are getting more games to watch on TV and on computer apps so they are really not getting priced out of following baseball and access is greater than ever. If it is the cost of the going to games and souvenirs …. there is a lot of stuff that cost more than the "average" person can afford. Check out that Starbuck's speciality coffee menu (and the lines to order). The ticket prices will not come down until there is a noticeable drop in MLB attendance … not happening yet.  Apparently there are a lot of people out there with more money to spend than we give credit.

Salary cap … interestingly one of the key issues in Reinsdorf's challenge to Manfred (via his pushing Werner) was his desire for a "hard salary cap" according to some reports. Possible that part of breaking the 22-8 vote and electing Manfred are some "concessions" by the other owners to the Reinsdorf faction …. maybe the "hard salary cap" is one … we will never know. Odd are that Reinsdorf's move with Werner was intended all the time to set up the need for concessions by the other owners and getting commitments from Manfred.

The good news … my guess is that the odds of a 2017 strike are much lower with Manfred than they would have been with the hard liners led by Werner. Maybe that is more important than anything else … a strike would have been a bigger MLB problem with the new generation of fans than in 1994.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/15/2014 7:01 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 


Those are some good observations.

I'm not going to put much thought into who our commissioner is because I don't think it will matter that much. Little will change, in my opinion, unless it involves revenue. The commissioner is now mostly a public figured head for the owners.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/15/2014 8:39 AM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



BenDavey wrote: Listening to national radio tonight, apparently the reason they chose Manfred was bc he is a labor specialist and Selig and co want to continue to do whatever the MLBPA want.

Owners are making more money, players are making more money, it is a win win for everyone (per the ESPN radio guy)

-------------------------------------

IMO I disagree.  BC the person who gets screwed over by this is the fan.  It already costs a ridiculous amount to go to a baseball game, and I think that and SD is one of the cheapest places.  Of course players and owners will make more money, but the fans are the ones paying for it.  

What it really means is that all hope of ever having a salary cap has gone on the door
MLB doesn't want to "let" MLBPA do whatever it wants, and never has. The union is strong, yes, but they still collectively bargain and the players have to fight for the guarantees they have in their deals. What baseball didn't want to do was wage war with the players and force another labor stoppage. And why should they want that? Everyone is generally happy now, business is good and the labor and capitalists are well compensated.

Also, if owners and players are making more money it's because the fan is willingly spending that money (in other words: it's worth it to them). Would you intend to fix prices all around (for payroll and tickets?). Because baseball is a business. If the fans stop going, prices and payrolls will fall.

Just a caveat: the issue with the salary cap in baseball has rarely been about getting the rich teams to stop spending. Consistently small market teams have resisted this change because any salary cap comes attached to a salary floor.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/15/2014 1:45 PM

Re: New MLB Commisioner 



claykirby1969 wrote:
sportwarrior wrote: Sanity has prevailed. Rob Manfred is the next MLB commissioner.

http://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-is-your-next-mlb-commissioner-1621881095
Not sure if it is sanity Sport, but more staus quo, biz as usual. I used to think that before Selig, the other Commishes were somewhat baseball guys and not just owner pawns ie Fay, Vincent, Kuhn, or were they just owner bitches as well? Anyone?
Well A) Sanity here is a little relative, since electing Werner would have been in line with the election of Selig back in the 90s. A former owner who runs the risk of favoring that side of the bargaining table a little too much. Plus, he was a potential pawn of hardliners like Reinsdorf, which is never a good thing.

B) Manfred's background is as an attorney, not as an owner. He's largely been attached exclusively to the MLB office and not to any one club or group of owners and he's been MLB's key negotiator for the past 20 years.Theoretically, his allegiance is to the game itself and not to one side or the other. Proponents praise the 20ish years of "peace" that Manfred has helped maintain, while the hardliners claim the peace has been kept only through a strategy of appeasement.

Now, how everything plays out from here obviously remains to be seen. What seems probable, though, is that Manfred was the only reasonable choice among the candidates for commissioner. Werner reportedly brought some ideas to the table, but his election could have ushered in a tumultuous era for baseball. Remember, he's an owner of the Red Sox, an organization vehemently opposed to revenue sharing, and his backers were largely made up of hardliners who think MLB has been too soft on the MLBPA. Some might say a tough approach could help in the implementation of long desired ideas such as a salary cap.The problem is that hardline tactics in the face of an organization as strong as the MLBPA bring an real danger of damaging work stoppages, empty negotiating tables and heightens the risk of brinksmanship as a strategy. Drastic changes like a salary cap cannot happen over night (or over one off season). The game needs evolution, not revolution, to stay healthy.

It's entirely possible (maybe even likely) that the status quo is maintained. But it's also possible that Manfred brings some actual decisiveness to the position, something that Selig long had trouble with. We might even see the game evolve the way we all have hoped it would with regards to competitiveness. Personally, I'd like to give the man a chance to establish himself.
Reply | Quote