Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >

Byrnes Fired

Posted: 06/22/2014 12:58 PM

Byrnes Fired 


As an interim move … job split between Hinch, Minaya, and Uhlman.

Search of new GM underway.

Last edited 06/22/2014 1:00 PM by FENN68

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:02 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



FENN68 wrote: As an interim move … job split between Hinch, Minaya, and Uhlman.

Search of new GM underway.
This is good news. Moorad era finally closes.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:19 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


Very good news. At least there's hope now. Of course I had hope before this season so what do I know.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:19 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


Krasovic has an interesting list of potential replacements, well, except Towers:

Larry Beinfest, former Marlins GM -- The Marlins won the 2003 World Series in their second season under Beinfest with the majors' 25th-ranked player payroll. They're contending for a playoff spot this year with a payroll that's 29th and about $43 million less than San Diego's. Cal grad Beinfest, 50, was GM from 2002-'07 and president of the Marlins from '07 until his dismissal after the '12 season.

Farhan Zaidi, Athletics exec -- He's assistant GM/director of baseball operations for efficient Oakland, which is 25th in payroll but contending for a third consecutive division title. He provides statistical analysis on amateurs, minor leaguers and big leaguers. Zaidi, 37 at the time of his promotion in January, holds an economics degree from MIT and a PH.D in economics from Cal.

Jason McLeod, Cubs exec -- McLeod oversaw Padres drafts in 2010-'11 as Jed Hoyer's top assistant. When Jeff Moorad opted to lift Josh Byrnes into the GM job after Theo Epstein sought to make Hoyer his GM, McLeod followed Hoyer to Chicago as director of scouting and player development. He began his scouting career with the Padres. Is the former husband to Jennifer Moores, daughter of former Padres owner John Moores.

Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM -- Might the Padres bring back Towers, their GM from November 1995 through 2009? He could be looking for work, given that Arizona owner Ken Kendrick hired Tony La Russa last month to oversee the team's baseball operations. Four of the five NL West titles won by the Padres came with Towers, 52, as GM. The man who fired him in 2009, Moorad, is no longer with the team.

David Forst, Athletics exec -- In recent years, he has been linked to GM openings but has remained in Oakland as assistant GM under Billy Beane, who may be grooming him as his successor. He coordinated the team's professional scouting until his promotion to assistant GM in February 2004. Frost, listed as age 37 in this year's media guide, graduated from Harvard with a degree in sociology.


http://www.utsandiego.com/news...padres-marlins/
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:19 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


I don't think it's really good news, but it doesn't have to be bad news.  I think Byrnes made a lot of good moves and put some nice pieces in place.  Hopefully they find someone great to take over.  Omar Minaya was a laughing stock of a GM, so I certainly don't hope he doesn't get the job.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:21 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


And I may give up on the team if they rehire Towers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:21 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


Don't make it McLeod. He drafted Spangy!

Make it one of the A's guys. actually I would like both of the A's guys. ha They complement each other it seems.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:24 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


The A's have a great recent history of trading with us.  They certainly made us look stupid by stealing Andy Parrino from Byrnes for some guy whose name I can't even remember.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:24 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



Moldenke wrote: The A's have a great recent history of trading with us.  They certainly made us look stupid by stealing Andy Parrino from Byrnes for some guy whose name I can't even remember.

Yeah, the A's can't do anything right of late. eek1
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:25 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


Now that the # Padres have fired GM Josh Byrnes, they are internally discussing the possibility of bringing back # Dbacks GM Kevin Towers

1:19 PM - 22 Jun 2014



eek1
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:34 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


We all saw that coming. Could Buddy Black be next?

I don't want Towers back. Who ever they choose as new GM, I hope it is someone who does not believe in and dislikes sabermatrics.


 

Last edited 06/22/2014 1:49 PM by ultratvfan

Reply | Quote
  • camaro1424
  • High school prospect
  • 24 posts this site

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:35 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


I guess I'm in the minority here... With the exception of the Quentin extension and the Johnson signing, I think he's made good moves. I don't think anybody expected the team to absolutely tank offensively. He's come out on top just about every trade except the Latos trade (which at the time everyone was saying we got a good haul back).

I think Black and Plantier should have gone first. I'm so tired of all this super platoon, different lineup every night junk. If it is working, fine. But it hasn't in a long time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:38 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



DaveyPinstripes wrote:

Now that the # Padres have fired GM Josh Byrnes, they are internally discussing the possibility of bringing back # Dbacks GM Kevin Towers

1:19 PM - 22 Jun 2014



eek1
This is just completely baffling.  I don't know if he has made a single good move in the time he's been with the Diamondbacks.  He took a team with talent that was just about ready to compete and flushed it down the drain.  HE TRADED US IAN KENNEDY FOR JOE THATCHER.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:40 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



ultratvfan wrote: We all saw that coming. Could Buddy Black be next?

I don't want Towers back. Who ever they choose as new GM, I hope it is someone who does not believe in and dislikes Sabermatrics.
Towers is your guy, then.  He cares about how gritty a player is more than anything else.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:41 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



DaveyPinstripes wrote:

Now that the # Padres have fired GM Josh Byrnes, they are internally discussing the possibility of bringing back # Dbacks GM Kevin Towers

1:19 PM - 22 Jun 2014



eek1
This won't and can't happen. I'd bet money on it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:45 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


If I can't have Hoyer back, then I want McLeod.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:50 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


I'd be happy with Mcleod or one of the guys from Oakland.  Please please please not Towers.  Good god.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 1:53 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 


There is always Trader Jake. Just kidding.


 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/22/2014 2:05 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



DaveyPinstripes wrote: Krasovic has an interesting list of potential replacements, well, except Towers:

Larry Beinfest, former Marlins GM -- The Marlins won the 2003 World Series in their second season under Beinfest with the majors' 25th-ranked player payroll. They're contending for a playoff spot this year with a payroll that's 29th and about $43 million less than San Diego's. Cal grad Beinfest, 50, was GM from 2002-'07 and president of the Marlins from '07 until his dismissal after the '12 season.

Farhan Zaidi, Athletics exec -- He's assistant GM/director of baseball operations for efficient Oakland, which is 25th in payroll but contending for a third consecutive division title. He provides statistical analysis on amateurs, minor leaguers and big leaguers. Zaidi, 37 at the time of his promotion in January, holds an economics degree from MIT and a PH.D in economics from Cal.

Jason McLeod, Cubs exec -- McLeod oversaw Padres drafts in 2010-'11 as Jed Hoyer's top assistant. When Jeff Moorad opted to lift Josh Byrnes into the GM job after Theo Epstein sought to make Hoyer his GM, McLeod followed Hoyer to Chicago as director of scouting and player development. He began his scouting career with the Padres. Is the former husband to Jennifer Moores, daughter of former Padres owner John Moores.

Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM -- Might the Padres bring back Towers, their GM from November 1995 through 2009? He could be looking for work, given that Arizona owner Ken Kendrick hired Tony La Russa last month to oversee the team's baseball operations. Four of the five NL West titles won by the Padres came with Towers, 52, as GM. The man who fired him in 2009, Moorad, is no longer with the team.

David Forst, Athletics exec -- In recent years, he has been linked to GM openings but has remained in Oakland as assistant GM under Billy Beane, who may be grooming him as his successor. He coordinated the team's professional scouting until his promotion to assistant GM in February 2004. Frost, listed as age 37 in this year's media guide, graduated from Harvard with a degree in sociology.


http://www.utsandiego.com/news...padres-marlins/
Beinfest might be a real option. First, he is only 50 and has been a GM / President with the Marlins … with some success (and some failure) under a "difficult" owner …. so young enough and experienced. The interesting linkage may be the fact that Dee is a big part of the hiring and was in Miami (with the Dolphins) when Beinfest was in Miami. They may have a good relationship … and that usually helps when making these types of choices.

If they want to hit the ground running … and not risk a "new" GM's inexperience in the lead role … Beinfest may be the guy. Maybe not the time to experiment.

And PLEASE not Towers or a stats guy.

Side note: on the Padres TV today Scott Miller was being interview and said that Black will now get more input on player decisions (with the interim team) .. the implication is that Byrnes was not taking much input on players from his field manager … that says something about how Byrnes ran the shop.

While he was discussing the timing of the move (suggesting it could have happened a little earlier) it still leaves ample time to handle the trade deadline activity. Crossed my mind that moving Byrnes might help the decisions … since he was the architect of the roster he may have a bias (to support his earlier decisions) and not make some moves … e.g. he thought Quentin was a good extension … may be holding on to that thinking and not be willing to move him for a "fair" offer. Not sure of the new interim team … who takes the lead in trade discussions (although I expect all plus Dee / Fowler will have a voice).

Timing on the hiring the new GM is "unclear", but apparently not going to be a knee jerk move just to set up for the trade deadline … still could be sooner than later IF the candidate is not locked into duties with another organization … if he is, maybe end of the season.

Last edited 06/22/2014 2:06 PM by FENN68

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/22/2014 2:06 PM

Re: Byrnes Fired 



ultratvfan wrote: There is always Trader Jake. Just kidding.
Trader Jake... Peavy? Gautreau?

Or Trader Jack?
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >