Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Softest team ever

Posted: 05/07/2014 9:47 AM

Softest team ever 


I understand torn ACL's and Blown out elbows, but Quentin has missed 20% of the season with a BRUISE, and now Maybin, who played all of 14 games last year, is missing games with a TUMMY ACHE

Ken Caminiti is rolling over in his grave.  He ripped out an IV before a game, ate a Snickers bar, and hit homeruns from both sides of the plate.

This team is about as tough as wet toilet paper.

Bunch of over-paid, under-achieving, MALINGERERS, with absolutely NO HEART.

Padres Baseball: Waiting until next year since 1969.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 9:55 AM

Re: Softest team ever 


I think Maybin was actually trying to avoid turning his pants into Padre "brown" in the middle of the game.
Kind of hard to run while clenching at the same time.





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/07/2014 10:40 AM

Re: Softest team ever 



UncleBolt wrote:

I understand torn ACL's and Blown out elbows, but Quentin has missed 20% of the season with a BRUISE, and now Maybin, who played all of 14 games last year, is missing games with a TUMMY ACHE

Ken Caminiti is rolling over in his grave.  He ripped out an IV before a game, ate a Snickers bar, and hit homeruns from both sides of the plate.

This team is about as tough as wet toilet paper.

Bunch of over-paid, under-achieving, MALINGERERS, with absolutely NO HEART.

You forgot the part about Caminiti when he injected a bunch of steroids into his butt. 

Maybin has diarrhea.  I wouldn't want to play baseball with diarrhea. 

Quentin has chronic knee issues.

I'm so sick of this "tough" crap.  Play the game if you're healthy, don't play the game if you're hurt.

Last edited 05/07/2014 10:41 AM by Moldenke

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 1:19 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


They are a soft team.

But it has nothing to do with their manhood.

This team needs some emotional fire.
Reply | Quote
  • brianmcon
  • Lake Elsinore Storm
  • 1293 posts this site

Posted: 05/07/2014 3:16 PM

Re: Softest team ever 



LevelAgain wrote: They are a soft team.

But it has nothing to do with their manhood.

This team needs some emotional fire.
+1.   No Peavy or Heath Bell or someone like that.  I personally do not believe Bud's flatline demeanor & diplomacy helps at times like these when someone somewhere needs a kick in the professional ***.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 5:35 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


Heath Bell is no loss. Huston Street is a lot better. Could Street be the next Hoffman?




 THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 5:54 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


Not going to get enough save chances unless he gets traded


---------------------------------------------
--- ultratvfan wrote:

Heath Bell is no loss. Huston Street is a lot better. Could Street be the next Hoffman?

---------------------------------------------
This Team makes me Drink !
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 6:04 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


Huston may not have a lot of save chances but he has a perfect 10 saves out of 10 chances with a 0.64 ERA and 15K.




 THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 7:54 PM

Re: Softest team ever 



UncleBolt wrote:

I understand torn ACL's and Blown out elbows, but Quentin has missed 20% of the season with a BRUISE, and now Maybin, who played all of 14 games last year, is missing games with a TUMMY ACHE

Ken Caminiti is rolling over in his grave.  He ripped out an IV before a game, ate a Snickers bar, and hit homeruns from both sides of the plate.

This team is about as tough as wet toilet paper.

Bunch of over-paid, under-achieving, MALINGERERS, with absolutely NO HEART.

And what did Headley have a strained calf.  rolleyes
Don't Be A Clown.... Be For The Brown
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 10:45 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


Street the next Hoffy? Hardly.

And maybe you forget, but Bell was pretty darned good.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 11:23 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


Quentin has a bone bruise. That's a bit different than "just a bruise," and can actually be pretty painful. It's technically a type of fracture I think, but an internal one. Quentin might have suffered something acute in a spring training game, or it could just be wear and tear. Either way, it's not really as simple as a bruise.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/07/2014 11:25 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


Also, to be clear, I'm not a Quentin apologist. He's been out a long time and hasn't exactly made it feel like he's burning to get back.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/08/2014 11:11 AM

Re: Softest team ever 


I think its the team takes the demeanor of their manager.

Black doesnt have emotions.  After a blown out loss, Randy Jones and the postgame show were talking about being on suicide watch and how humiliating this must be for the Padres and the fans.

Black comes on for the postgame interview and just goes "well we tried, but they were better today, we will hopefully do better tomorrow."  No fire, no angst, no nothing.

Actually I take that back he got mad at a reporter for calling out Maybin for the stupid running
Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/08/2014 11:24 AM

Re: Softest team ever 


I've honestly never been a huge BB fan.  I think he has value to the organization, but he makes a lot of questionable personnel decisions.

Like last night.  What in the world has Black seen in Venable recently to warrant him leading off?  Yeah, let's bat the guy with the 400 OPS leadoff just because there's a righty starting, when his platoon partner is hitting .304/.329/418 against righties.  The constant L/R thing needs to stop. 

Grandal needs to be in the lineup every day, whether he's catching or playing 1B.  Alonso needs to sit for a while.  The constant double switching is annoying, and doesn't help anybody get into a groove. 

Also, has Black been telling guys not to walk?  I feel like the team has turned into a bunch of Kouzmanoff's in the last week or so.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/08/2014 11:44 AM

Re: Softest team ever 


Black only has so much to work with... when you've got 3 of the worst regulars in the majors, your options are sort of limited. Do you just put Venable and Alonso and Gyorko at the bottom? Do you sit em so they aren't all playing on the same night? The more you sit em, the less likely they are to hit their way out of the slump.

As for Venable leading off and Gyorko in the 4 spot, I just see it as Buddy trying everything he can to get these guys going. Sometimes guys respond well to increased pressure/responsibility. I'm sure he was hoping that by promoting these guys in the lineup they'd maybe get jump started a little bit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/08/2014 12:23 PM

Re: Softest team ever 



sportwarrior wrote: Black only has so much to work with... when you've got 3 of the worst regulars in the majors, your options are sort of limited. Do you just put Venable and Alonso and Gyorko at the bottom? Do you sit em so they aren't all playing on the same night? The more you sit em, the less likely they are to hit their way out of the slump.

As for Venable leading off and Gyorko in the 4 spot, I just see it as Buddy trying everything he can to get these guys going. Sometimes guys respond well to increased pressure/responsibility. I'm sure he was hoping that by promoting these guys in the lineup they'd maybe get jump started a little bit.
I disagree.  Venable, Alonso, and Gyorko are 3 of the worst players this year but they werent last year.  So the question is what happened?  Is this just a matter of starting slow, or is it something else?  

Batting Venable 1st and Gyorko 4th is nonsense.  EVERY SINGLE MANAGER if a player is struggling will drop them down in the order to try and get some of the pressure off to help the player build confidence.  Black is THE ONLY MANAGER in all of baseball that sees a player struggling and moves him HIGHER in the order.  

The only players hitting right now are Dino, Grandal, Smith, Maybin, and possibly Hundley (who knows when he only plays once a week).  Doesnt it seem smart to have them all batting together?  BUT NOOOOO Black has them spaced out throughout the lineup or just doesnt play them at all.  UGH
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/08/2014 2:09 PM

Re: Softest team ever 



BenDavey wrote:
sportwarrior wrote: Black only has so much to work with... when you've got 3 of the worst regulars in the majors, your options are sort of limited. Do you just put Venable and Alonso and Gyorko at the bottom? Do you sit em so they aren't all playing on the same night? The more you sit em, the less likely they are to hit their way out of the slump.

As for Venable leading off and Gyorko in the 4 spot, I just see it as Buddy trying everything he can to get these guys going. Sometimes guys respond well to increased pressure/responsibility. I'm sure he was hoping that by promoting these guys in the lineup they'd maybe get jump started a little bit.
I disagree.  Venable, Alonso, and Gyorko are 3 of the worst players this year but they werent last year.  So the question is what happened?  Is this just a matter of starting slow, or is it something else?  

Batting Venable 1st and Gyorko 4th is nonsense.  EVERY SINGLE MANAGER if a player is struggling will drop them down in the order to try and get some of the pressure off to help the player build confidence.  Black is THE ONLY MANAGER in all of baseball that sees a player struggling and moves him HIGHER in the order.  

The only players hitting right now are Dino, Grandal, Smith, Maybin, and possibly Hundley (who knows when he only plays once a week).  Doesnt it seem smart to have them all batting together?  BUT NOOOOO Black has them spaced out throughout the lineup or just doesnt play them at all.  UGH
My point is Venable hasn't lead off until very recently. It's not like Buddy was sticking with him for 100 at bats. He flipped the lineup up and put Venbale in the leadoff spot. Same thing with Gyorko, who had been dropped in the lineup before being promoted again.

It seems everyone is pretty upset with the FO and the coaching staff, so I think I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree on most of this stuff. I see how bad this team is playing, and I realize there is just absolutely no way anyone could have predicted it. That's not anyone's fault, in my book. And as for Venable hitting 1st? It's not like we were winning with him hitting last, or riding the bench. Same goes for Alonso or Gyorko. With or without those three this offense has been absolutely horrid this season. Honestly, I can see why he'd just say "funk it" and throw Venable into the fire like that. Theoretically it could wake him up. Either way, I'm willing to let Buddy try whatever he wants to get this lineup going.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/08/2014 2:26 PM

Re: Softest team ever 


I think it depends on the player among other things.
All we see is where they hit and how they are hitting....we aren't privy to conversations and attitudes and other "inside" issues.
I assume Buddy actually talks to his players.
Some guys may (at least think they may) do better with more pressure on them and others need pressure taken off.
Some may "think" they are better suited to lead off and others don't.
So I'm gonna assume the moves BB makes are based on conversations with the player not just on a whim.
My biggest concern right now is pitch selection.
I really think these guys are making a mistake letting the best pitch they are going to get go by for a strike and putting themselves in a hole.I also don't want them all just swinging at the first pitch but way too many guys are just watching the first one and it's usually the best one they get.
This is not a team full of Tony Gwynns who can hit well with 2 strikes on them.
If there is a base stealer on first that's one thing,but other than that situation IMO they should be looking for a grooved FB right away and drive that thing if they get it!





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/08/2014 3:12 PM

Re: Softest team ever 



. I see how bad this team is playing, and I realize there is just absolutely no way anyone could have predicted it.
I predicted it.  Many fans predicted it.  The offense stinks and has stunk for years.  Many have decried the lack of offensive talent for the better part of a decade.  This sh!tty offense doesn't surprise me one little bit.  But that's only because I view the team objectively.


Maybin - Sucks
Venable - Sucks
Alonso - Sucks
Headley - Sucks
Quentin - Sucks (because he is never healthy)
Hundley - Sucks
Amarista -Sucks
Blanks - Sucks
Rivera - Sucks
Gyorko - Starting to look like he caught the suck bug from these other scrubs.

If a player has 3-4 bad/below average years, then 1 good/above average year, before reverting back to bad/below average for the rest of his career, is that a good or a bad player? 

Cabrera - Average
Denorfia - Average/platoon
S. Smith - Average/platoon
Grandal - The only player who looks like he might be the real deal

Padres Baseball: Waiting until next year since 1969.

Last edited 05/08/2014 3:13 PM by UncleBolt

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/08/2014 4:18 PM

Re: Softest team ever 





---------------------------------------------
--- UncleBolt wrote:


. I see how bad this team is playing, and I realize there is just absolutely no way anyone could have predicted it.
I predicted it.  Many fans predicted it.  The offense stinks and has stunk for years.  Many have decried the lack of offensive talent for the better part of a decade.  This sh!tty offense doesn't surprise me one little bit.  But that's only because I view the team objectively.


Maybin - Sucks
Venable - Sucks
Alonso - Sucks
Headley - Sucks
Quentin - Sucks (because he is never healthy)
Hundley - Sucks
Amarista -Sucks
Blanks - Sucks
Rivera - Sucks
Gyorko - Starting to look like he caught the suck bug from these other scrubs.

If a player has 3-4 bad/below average years, then 1 good/above average year, before reverting back to bad/below average for the rest of his career, is that a good or a bad player? 

Cabrera - Average
Denorfia - Average/platoon
S. Smith - Average/platoon
Grandal - The only player who looks like he might be the real deal

---------------------------------------------

Venable had a very good year last year......there is no way you can convince me that you knew he would start this way.
Same with Gyorko although as with any rookie you could guess he could have a rough Sophomore season.
Its real easy "right now" to say everyone knew this would happen....but no one was saying this in February.
Yes....we all knew this was never going to be a "great" offensive team.Even the most positive of us knew this,but to say everyone should have known that Venable,Gyorko,and Alonso would be hitting under .200 into May just is not accurate.





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >