Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones

Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 10:32 AM

Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...ino-werner.html

Decent deal. Padres get a project in Ross, but a guy still seen as having some good stuff. Maybe they can tinker with him and strike gold. Kirby-Jones is a small power-hitting first baseman with a bad batting average.

Most importantly, Padres open up a 40-man spot and get some upside potential.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 10:34 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


Most likely a quickly forgotten trade and nobody really makes any significant impact.

But I think the organization may be thinking about rostering Jeudy Valdez since Parrino was the guy moved.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 11:11 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


tyson ross is out of options, but he should be able to fit in as a seldom used long reliever at worst.

werner has a nice story, after independent league pitcher in 2010
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 11:21 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


This is all about the 40 man to be sure.
Tyson has sure been a disappointment to the A's.
I have to think this has to have something to do with having his brother in the Org.....no?






Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 11:26 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


probably, or a former 2nd rd pick, good prospect, good arm but terrible results reclamation prject. padres need to overhaul his terrible delivery. all upper body barely any stride, limited use of legs. which has led to injuries in the past. surprisingly he throws 96 mph with it. A's never showed any urgency to change it much.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/16/2012 11:27 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 



DaveyPinstripes wrote: Most likely a quickly forgotten trade and nobody really makes any significant impact.

But I think the organization may be thinking about rostering Jeudy Valdez since Parrino was the guy moved.
Valdez is already on the 40 man.  They moved Parrino and Werner off the 40 man but only added Ross...Kirby-Jones is a non-roster type.  Probably makes room for Portillo.

Don't consider Parrino or Werner big losses...probably would have them on waivers anyway to make room for the Rule 5 protections and / or FA signings.

Little disappointed that Ross is out of MiL options...meaning he makes the 25 roster or has to go on waivers...might get claimed.  

When the dust settles...this will end up a non-event.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 11:35 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


It's cool that Joe Ross is in the organization too.

Tyson Ross had a 1.25 WHIP, with a little high BB/9 that hasn't really improved at any level. But it's an upside play. As arly noted, Ross throws hard and is known to have a whacky delivery. Is this due to his stubborness to reinvent himself? Or is it A's coaches failing? Or is it that Ross just isn't very good? Ross was #4 prospect in As org in 2011, no?

I guess we'll see. He's this season's long reliever it seems. Some rotation protection. But if he doesn't pitch better he won't make it through spring training.

Kirby-Jones...5'10'' 1B. Low BA. Lots of power, but I guess we'll see. The org is a little think at 1B in the lower levels, so its a decent warm body that you can follow and hope he continues to surprise you.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 11:37 AM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


basically the solid and surprising performance of former padres prospect evan scribner over the season, probably pushed ross  out of the one role he might have had a shot at long/middle reliever
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/16/2012 12:11 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


I guess this may be taking a long shot on Ross...not giving up much for the gamble. Doubt he would clear waivers (if he did great but don't expect that)...so can he make the 25 man roster?  Does open the door for some other speculation.  We expect Volquez and Richard as starters....every indication is that Cashner will get a starters' role...and the Padres have expressed the plan to add two SP.

If the Padres add 2 legit ML SP via FA or Trade, Ross gets added to a mix of Bass, Kelly, and Stults for the long RP role.  If he does well, does that send Bass and Kelly to AAA? Stults being LH...could he end-up bumping Thatcher or Layne? Bass could end-up in set-up RP making Thayer, Brach, etc available for trade...maybe even Bass.

If the Padres add only 1 legit ML SP...is that group vying for the 5th SP slot?

Since it appears that Byrnes would prefer to trade for an established SP as opposed to overpaying in FA...maybe some preliminary discussions made it clear that the Padres would need to send pitching (e.g. Bass) back...Ross provides some second tier insurance if that is the case.  

Going for the lottery here!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 12:38 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


Even though this was mainly for roster space I find it hard to believe they didn't plan on keeping Ross?
If he's out of options,they either plan on keeping him rostered or they must think there's a good chance he'll pass through waivers?
I hope so because I also think they must feel BB and Bals have a legitimate shot at turning him around or else why not trade for someone else?.......Anyone else?
A ball arm or anything?





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/16/2012 1:23 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


I think they give Ross a full shot...he has the stuff mid-90s FB and a top flight slider and only 25. His issue is mainly lack of control (sounds like Volquez). Can they "fix" that in ST...maybe?  The upside gamble is worth it.  With that stuff, teams like Houston, Cubs, Miami would claim him for the $20,000 (I think that is the waiver fee) take a look...if he falls short, turn around a put him on waivers, if claimed get the fee back from another team or if clears gets another year to work with him in AAA.  

I think that this signals that the Padres are not planning "rushing" a pitcher to the ML (e.g. Erlin) and want Kelly to get some more innings in AAA after his shortened 2012.  Ross, Bass, and Stults get to battle it out for 1 or maybe 2 long RP slots.  Hopefully it is not signaling that they are not going to add two established ML SP.

Of the 4 players in the deal...Ross has the upside while the others are just marginal.  So the Padres really are not disadvantaged even if Ross fails....they gave up nothing of ML quality.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 1:40 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 



FENN68 wrote: I think they give Ross a full shot...he has the stuff mid-90s FB and a top flight slider and only 25. His issue is mainly lack of control (sounds like Volquez). Can they "fix" that in ST...maybe?  The upside gamble is worth it.  With that stuff, teams like Houston, Cubs, Miami would claim him for the $20,000 (I think that is the waiver fee) take a look...if he falls short, turn around a put him on waivers, if claimed get the fee back from another team or if clears gets another year to work with him in AAA.  

I think that this signals that the Padres are not planning "rushing" a pitcher to the ML (e.g. Erlin) and want Kelly to get some more innings in AAA after his shortened 2012.  Ross, Bass, and Stults get to battle it out for 1 or maybe 2 long RP slots.  Hopefully it is not signaling that they are not going to add two established ML SP.

Of the 4 players in the deal...Ross has the upside while the others are just marginal.  So the Padres really are not disadvantaged even if Ross fails....they gave up nothing of ML quality.
No...I agree.
Certainly Ross is not one of the 2 Starters we are pursuing.......





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/16/2012 3:13 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


Per the BA website:

 Oakland shifted Ross to the bullpen toward the end of the 2012 season, and that role might suit him best going forward. The A's used three minor league options to send Ross to Sacramento in each season since 2010, but he probably will qualify for a fourth option because he has fewer than five years in full-season ball.

Was not familier with that "exception"...maybe Byrnes was.  If so, the deal is that much better.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 3:46 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 



MrPadre19 wrote: No...I agree.
Certainly Ross is not one of the 2 Starters we are pursuing.......
Good, I was a little concerned.  I mean, he could be something, but, not exactly something that the new owners to show us to build faith.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 4:32 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 




---------------------------------------------
--- FENN68 wrote:

Per the BA website:

 Oakland shifted Ross to the bullpen toward the end of the 2012 season, and that role might suit him best going forward. The A's used three minor league options to send Ross to Sacramento in each season since 2010, but he probably will qualify for a fourth option because he has fewer than five years in full-season ball.

Was not familier with that "exception"...maybe Byrnes was.  If so, the deal is that much better.

---------------------------------------------

Now that makes more sense........





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/16/2012 4:57 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 



FENN68 wrote: Per the BA website:

 Oakland shifted Ross to the bullpen toward the end of the 2012 season, and that role might suit him best going forward. The A's used three minor league options to send Ross to Sacramento in each season since 2010, but he probably will qualify for a fourth option because he has fewer than five years in full-season ball.

Was not familier with that "exception"...maybe Byrnes was.  If so, the deal is that much better.
Its the same way the had one additional option on Aaron Cunningham a year or two ago. Its based on service time, draft date, and things to give one additional year of options.

I cant hit singles at Petco because the ball doesnt carry there.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 4:28 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


Who do you think first suggested this deal? Byrnes calling Beane asking about Ross or Beane calling Byrnes on Parrino?  Don't think anyone was calling about Kirby-Jones and the A's have a bevy of LHP, so don't think Werner was a prime target.

A's needed some middle INF insurance and they would have scouted Parrino in the PCL who had a decent season...might have created some interest.  More likely, Byrnes was interested in Ross and knowing the A's "excess" pitching made the call.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/19/2012 9:36 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 




---------------------------------------------
--- FENN68 wrote:

Who do you think first suggested this deal? Byrnes calling Beane asking about Ross or Beane calling Byrnes on Parrino?  Don't think anyone was calling about Kirby-Jones and the A's have a bevy of LHP, so don't think Werner was a prime target.

A's needed some middle INF insurance and they would have scouted Parrino in the PCL who had a decent season...might have created some interest.  More likely, Byrnes was interested in Ross and knowing the A's "excess" pitching made the call.

---------------------------------------------

More likely Byrnes made it known he needed to make room on the 40 man and Beane called and they tossed names around until they came up with a deal that accomplished it......and didn't accomplish much else.





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/10/2013 11:13 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 


BUMP :)

Padres get
Ross with the win today now 3-5, 72 IP, 56 H, 22 ER, 31 BB, 62 K, 2.75 ERA

Kirby- Jones A+/AA .243/.330/.401 8 HR, 48 RBI.  Meh

Oakland got
Parrino .125/.192/.167 in 9 G with A's.  .227/.314/.331 in AAA (is on a 9 game hit streak though)

Werner (AAA) 10-13, 6.16 ERA, 146 IP, 184 H, 100 ER, 36 BB, 99 K


So most of us thought this trade wouldnt end up being much.  Even if Ross doesnt do ANYTHING else for the Padres, the trade still ends up being a win for us
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/11/2013 6:55 PM

Re: Padres trade Parrino/Werner for A's Ross/Kirby-Jones 



BenDavey wrote: BUMP :)

Padres get
Ross with the win today now 3-5, 72 IP, 56 H, 22 ER, 31 BB, 62 K, 2.75 ERA

Kirby- Jones A+/AA .243/.330/.401 8 HR, 48 RBI.  Meh

Oakland got
Parrino .125/.192/.167 in 9 G with A's.  .227/.314/.331 in AAA (is on a 9 game hit streak though)

Werner (AAA) 10-13, 6.16 ERA, 146 IP, 184 H, 100 ER, 36 BB, 99 K


So most of us thought this trade wouldnt end up being much.  Even if Ross doesnt do ANYTHING else for the Padres, the trade still ends up being a win for us
+1

Reply | Quote