Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >

Yasmani busted

Avatar

Posted: 11/07/2012 12:17 PM

Yasmani busted 


50-game suspension for PEDs. High testosterone. Wonderful. Hope Nick Hundley is recovered.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/07/2012 12:29 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 


Revisiting the Latos trade...not looking so good now. Still have to wait an see, but man, this hurts. I can't take his little offensive outburst seriously at this point. Starting at square one.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/07/2012 1:11 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 


Just saw this......unbelievable.
So there goes a roster spot....now we need to keep Baker and Hundley.
Let's hope Hundley remembers how to hit and Grandal doesn't come back as a slap hitter!
If it aint one thing its another!





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/07/2012 2:04 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 


Not a good thing....if there is any consolation:

1. Ryan Braun came back from his testosterone suspension and was in contention for MVP last season;
2. It happened now....there was a good chance that either Hundley or Baker would have been moved this month to clear a roster spot....so, at least the Padres didn't make a move that would have made them scramble for a catcher to start the season;
3. The suspension puts Grandal on the "restricted list" and (as DePaula) appears to exclude him from the 40 man roster count....may actually save having to cut someone to protect a prospect from the Rule 5 Draft or if they sign a FA.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/07/2012 3:40 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 


Unfortunate.  Let's hope he learns from this and moves on to be our catcher of the future.  As was mentioned, it's a good thing no premature moves were made regarding our catching situation.  Hundley has a chance to redeem himself.




Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/07/2012 5:04 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 


Byrnes has said he is not looking for another catcher and will go with Hundley and Baker to start the season.

On a positive note...the Padres quickly came out with a press release.  Good sign on the new FO communicating with the fans.

One line in the release could be interpreted that Grandal may have a short future with the Padres (I don't think so but the line could be read that way):

" I assure you that we are committed to fielding a team - now and in the future - that respects the rules and integrity of the game, and a team that San Diegans can be proud of. "

Moving Grandal would surely make a statement as to the integrity of the FO while yielding a good return (teams would not be put off by the suspension for a potential All-Star catcher). Hundley is under contract for 2013-14 with a 2015 option and Hedges should be up by then.  So a gamble...but the 2011 Hundley was good.  Don't think they will trade Grandal BUT now it is at least a possibility.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/07/2012 5:50 PM

RE: Yasmani busted 


As others have pointed out, this might have a silver lining. Hundley gets to play regularly for half a season to rebuild trade value, 40 man roster spot not taken by Grandal (saw someone call him YasmaniRamirez Grandal - hilarious)and gives the team some more insight into his character/intelligence going forward.

That said, utterly stupid move by Grandal. I hope he comes out with a "mea culpa, I'm an idiot statement soon."

At least it wasn't Headley...
Prospect I'm Championing 2014: Jonathan Galvez (last year K Sampson)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/07/2012 8:20 PM

RE: Yasmani busted 


I personally feel this is a bigger deal than some are making it out to be if you envisioned the Padres as a potential contender in 2013. Most people have him penciled in as a reliable middle of the order bat (I had him a little lower, but still). With Hundley having the hitter's yips, really hope he can rebound. But no guarantees.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/08/2012 3:56 AM

RE: Yasmani busted 


I'm missing when he failed.......does anyone know ? Was it during the season, or after the season ended ?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/08/2012 6:21 AM

RE: Yasmani busted 



TPichierri wrote: I'm missing when he failed.......does anyone know ? Was it during the season, or after the season ended ?
Odds are that it was late in the season. Everyone is tested in spring training...he apparently was clean then or the suspension would have come some time ago.  After that the tests are random with about 1400 in-season (about 230 per month) and about 200 off-season (about 30 per month). Also, it can take for 30-60 days from the test to the announcement for testing and dealing with the player.  Put those two together and it probably was in-season.

Of course that would be when he was caught via the random test...doubt he started using at the end of the season......likely he was using a lot earlier.  With 1400 in-season tests, some players get tested more than once...could be that he got tested early and passed (maybe even a second time and passed) then thought the odds were in his favor to not get tested again.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/08/2012 7:01 AM

RE: Yasmani busted 



FENN68 wrote:
TPichierri wrote: I'm missing when he failed.......does anyone know ? Was it during the season, or after the season ended ?
Odds are that it was late in the season. Everyone is tested in spring training...he apparently was clean then or the suspension would have come some time ago.  After that the tests are random with about 1400 in-season (about 230 per month) and about 200 off-season (about 30 per month). Also, it can take for 30-60 days from the test to the announcement for testing and dealing with the player.  Put those two together and it probably was in-season.

Of course that would be when he was caught via the random test...doubt he started using at the end of the season......likely he was using a lot earlier.  With 1400 in-season tests, some players get tested more than once...could be that he got tested early and passed (maybe even a second time and passed) then thought the odds were in his favor to not get tested again.
Yeah Fenn I figured it was toward the end of the season, I was wondering when, and when exactly they knew he popped
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/08/2012 8:22 AM

RE: Yasmani busted 


During his 50 game suspension, can he workout in extended ST in AZ?  Play in extended ST games? If he doesn't get into some game orient work during the suspension....a good chance he is sent to Tucson when his suspension is over at the end of May.  If Hundley is performing well (returning to 2011 from), that may be a easy decision...setting up a mid-season trade of either Hundley or Grandal.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/08/2012 9:53 AM

Re: Yasmani busted 


On a positive note he was pretty consistent throughout his 3 months of play.....hopefully he wasn't using the entire time which would mean he should return and produce without "help".





Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/08/2012 10:29 AM

Re: Yasmani busted 



MrPadre19 wrote: On a positive note he was pretty consistent throughout his 3 months of play.....hopefully he wasn't using the entire time which would mean he should return and produce without "help".
Not sure that's necessarily a positive note. Depending on your perspective it could also mean he was using consistently that entire time. I also doubt this is the first time he's used.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/08/2012 10:56 AM

Re: Yasmani busted 



DaveyPinstripes wrote:
MrPadre19 wrote: On a positive note he was pretty consistent throughout his 3 months of play.....hopefully he wasn't using the entire time which would mean he should return and produce without "help".
Not sure that's necessarily a positive note. Depending on your perspective it could also mean he was using consistently that entire time. I also doubt this is the first time he's used.
Do we know precisely what he was using? He has skill, can rake, and that wont change....his power might some, but that's only if what he was using was to build strength.... Does anyone know for certain what specifically he was caught using ?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/08/2012 11:23 AM

Re: Yasmani busted 



TPichierri wrote:
DaveyPinstripes wrote:
MrPadre19 wrote: On a positive note he was pretty consistent throughout his 3 months of play.....hopefully he wasn't using the entire time which would mean he should return and produce without "help".
Not sure that's necessarily a positive note. Depending on your perspective it could also mean he was using consistently that entire time. I also doubt this is the first time he's used.
Do we know precisely what he was using? He has skill, can rake, and that wont change....his power might some, but that's only if what he was using was to build strength.... Does anyone know for certain what specifically he was caught using ?
High testosterone. If I'm not mistaken that means a steroid of some kind.
En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/08/2012 11:37 AM

Re: Yasmani busted 


The report I saw said it was synthetic testosterone....the same stuff that got Colon, Cabrera, and Braun.

Basically, used to build muscle mass in athletes.  In a quote from ESPN after the Colon / Cabrera stuff:

What makes synthetic testosterone so appealing, at least according to Victor Conte, is that it's supposed to vanish from the body's system quickly, within six to eight hours. And if used in sufficiently small doses, it may not elevate testosterone levels enough to trigger further testing.

It's Conte's view, essentially, that the intelligent use of synthetic testosterone doesn't elevate a user's testosterone-to-epitestosterone level to the 4-to-1 ratio that normally triggers further testing.

And it's that "further" testing -- via the use of a process known as carbon isotope ratio testing -- that is necessary to catch the synthetic testosterone crowd.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/08/2012 12:59 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 



DaveyPinstripes wrote:
MrPadre19 wrote: On a positive note he was pretty consistent throughout his 3 months of play.....hopefully he wasn't using the entire time which would mean he should return and produce without "help".
Not sure that's necessarily a positive note. Depending on your perspective it could also mean he was using consistently that entire time. I also doubt this is the first time he's used.

Well,I was basing the positivity on the previous post which assumed he hadn't been using all along.
Obviously,if his entire season was PED enhanced than yes...there is no positive.






Prospect I'm Championing.........Jordan Paroubeck

Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/29/2013 7:57 AM

Re: Yasmani busted 


Miami Clinic is outed....

"Just below Cabrera in the 2012 notebook is a baseball player whom Bosch calls "Josmany," with the nickname of "Springs." On a separate client list from June 2012, he writes that "Springs" is Josmany Grandal.

Although the first name is misspelled, the notations likely refer to Yasmani Grandal, the former star catcher for the University of Miami Hurricanes who once tore up the high school leagues playing for Miami Springs.

Grandal had a terrific rookie season for the San Diego Padres last year, batting .297 with eight home runs, but then — just like Cabrera — he was caught with elevated testosterone levels in November and banned for 50 games. In his notebook, Bosch says of Grandal: "Deliver April 4 (in person or by mail). He is in Tucson. Waiting for his call to see if he can drive to Phoenix. Payment will be made by his [illegible], $500 of expenses."

(Tucson is about three hours from the Padres' spring training complex in Peoria, Arizona, where the team would have been holed up at the time.)

On another page, beneath a phone number for "Josmany's girlfriend," is a lengthy regimen for morning and evening HGH injections, for "six days on and one day off," with testosterone and IGF-1 treatments as well. "Pink cream prior to game," he writes, later adding a troche with 15 to 20 percent testosterone "prior to game."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/29/2013 12:59 PM

Re: Yasmani busted 



TPichierri wrote: Miami Clinic is outed....

"Just below Cabrera in the 2012 notebook is a baseball player whom Bosch calls "Josmany," with the nickname of "Springs." On a separate client list from June 2012, he writes that "Springs" is Josmany Grandal.

Although the first name is misspelled, the notations likely refer to Yasmani Grandal, the former star catcher for the University of Miami Hurricanes who once tore up the high school leagues playing for Miami Springs.

Grandal had a terrific rookie season for the San Diego Padres last year, batting .297 with eight home runs, but then — just like Cabrera — he was caught with elevated testosterone levels in November and banned for 50 games. In his notebook, Bosch says of Grandal: "Deliver April 4 (in person or by mail). He is in Tucson. Waiting for his call to see if he can drive to Phoenix. Payment will be made by his [illegible], $500 of expenses."

(Tucson is about three hours from the Padres' spring training complex in Peoria, Arizona, where the team would have been holed up at the time.)

On another page, beneath a phone number for "Josmany's girlfriend," is a lengthy regimen for morning and evening HGH injections, for "six days on and one day off," with testosterone and IGF-1 treatments as well. "Pink cream prior to game," he writes, later adding a troche with 15 to 20 percent testosterone "prior to game."

This is sickening...
Prospect I'm Championing 2014: Jonathan Galvez (last year K Sampson)
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >