Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

6/5 @ Yankees

Posted: 06/05/2014 9:47 AM

6/5 @ Yankees 


Via Slusser:

#Athletics at #Yankees, Crisp back in leadoff spot and Stephen Vogt in RF: pic.twitter.com/TEhTyCnD9q

— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) June 5, 2014


Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:06 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


I watched every Eagles game last year, and because of that, every Tanaka start. He's pretty good, and he's even better at motivating his team to a win just by being on the mound.

But the A's can get to him. The only time he really faced a team of this caliber was in the NPB Championship against the Giants, and he lost his last start against them.

I'm looking forward to the A's handing him his second loss this season.

Last edited 06/05/2014 10:07 AM by CainExodus

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:15 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


JAAAAASSSSOOOO!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:18 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 



CainExodus wrote: JAAAAASSSSOOOO!
Tanak'd that one out of the park
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:22 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


Get out the broom!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:25 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


I guess it's Jaso's turn to hit two solo shots.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:30 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


pomeranzz gives it back
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:34 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


Review of ball off the top of the wall puts Ellsbury back at 2nd, Jeter at 3rd. And then Pomeranz works out of it. Still 1-0.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:36 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


My ESPN gamecast refreshed and I was thoroughly confused.  One minute the A's are down 2-1, the next they are headed to the top of the second with a 1-0 lead.  That was weird in a good way.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:41 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


A bit OT, but I love this Jake Peavy quote about "shutdown innings."

“‘Shutdown inning’ is one of my favorite phrases,” he said laughing. “They’re like, ‘Come on, shutdown inning!’ and I go, ‘Yep, this inning is way different than any others where it’s OK to give up runs! This inning we really don’t want them to score!’
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:45 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


Was Jaso's homer a Yankee stadium homer?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:50 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 



voxhoo wrote: Was Jaso's homer a Yankee stadium homer?
I think it was legit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 10:52 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 





---------------------------------------------
--- voxhoo wrote:

Was Jaso's homer a Yankee stadium homer?

---------------------------------------------

2nd deck straight away right. It was well hit.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:00 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


Pomeranz' velocity already down to 90-91 in the 2nd inning. He was sitting 92-94 as a reliever and in the early innings as a starter. But, with each passing start, his ability to sustain that velocity gets shorter and shorter. Not a surprise as his previous seasons as a starter, he's shown more of a 90-92 fastball.

Problem is that he's been very hittable when his fastball is average.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:26 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


surprising he was a top 10 draft pick. decent stuff but i dont see frontline upside unless he adds a better 3rd pitch. He's much better as a reliever imo
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:35 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


His main weapon is that he's deceptive. 90-92 is like 95-97. I think he's gonna be a stud when he adds a 3rd pitch.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:35 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 



voxhoo wrote: Pomeranz' velocity already down to 90-91 in the 2nd inning. He was sitting 92-94 as a reliever and in the early innings as a starter. But, with each passing start, his ability to sustain that velocity gets shorter and shorter. Not a surprise as his previous seasons as a starter, he's shown more of a 90-92 fastball.

Problem is that he's been very hittable when his fastball is average.
FWIW, here's Pomeranz's velocity by pitch/inning as a starter with the A's:

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:45 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 



ganggreen18 wrote: His main weapon is that he's deceptive. 90-92 is like 95-97. I think he's gonna be a stud when he adds a 3rd pitch.
How deceptive is he really?

Opponent OPS by pitch count:

Pitch 1-25: .344
Pitch 26-50: .751
Pitch 51-75: .883
Pitch 76-100: .917

AthertonA just showed that his velocity goes down inning by inning and as his velocity comes down he becomes very hittable.

Edit: To be fair, part of that could also be the lack of a 3rd pitch so, the more times through the order, the easier it is to hit him.

Last edited 06/05/2014 11:46 AM by voxhoo

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:51 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 


As keep getting close with guys on. Soon to break through.

Out of curiosity what is the expectation of Pom as a fifth starter? I think he's done well so far considering circumstances.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2014 11:52 AM

Re: 6/5 @ Yankees 



voxhoo wrote:
ganggreen18 wrote: His main weapon is that he's deceptive. 90-92 is like 95-97. I think he's gonna be a stud when he adds a 3rd pitch.
How deceptive is he really?

Opponent OPS by pitch count:

Pitch 1-25: .344
Pitch 26-50: .751
Pitch 51-75: .883
Pitch 76-100: .917

AthertonA just showed that his velocity goes down inning by inning and as his velocity comes down he becomes very hittable.

Edit: To be fair, part of that could also be the lack of a 3rd pitch so, the more times through the order, the easier it is to hit him.
I think we need to let him stretch out before we look at those numbers. Many teams would love to get their hands on this kind of talent.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >