Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football.

Posted: 02/09/2014 5:58 PM

OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/i...tigers-says-gay

Well spoken young man. He's a serious bamf. Who is mlbs first. Too bad baseball is the last major sport with a gay person.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/09/2014 6:39 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


That's a pretty brave move, doing it before the draft. But also very rational. As he said, plenty of people know and it's better for him to speak about it openly and with the same level of pride any person should have in themselves rather than leaked as if it were an unfortunate secret.

I'm hopeful that he doesn't see his draft stock drop at all (though there would be no way to know outside of going undrafted, since he's considered a middle rounder) and that he has a perfectly normal NFL experience, socially.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/09/2014 7:00 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


He came out to his team in August and that apparently went well so there shouldn't be any problems from a team standpoint.  I would think the first year is going to be a bit of a media circus for him though. I expect he will get through that initial barrage of attention, then everyone will move on to other newer stories and he can settle in to a normal NFL life - whatever that is.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/09/2014 7:08 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


Good for him.

Now, can he play? 

But I do hope the Niners draft and he bunks with Chris Culliver at training camp
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/09/2014 7:11 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


Wow. Would love to see the Raiders draft this guy in round 4. We need pass rushers, and it'd be nice to see the post Al Davis Raiders be as progressive as they always were with the old man in charge.

Very impressed by his mental toughness, very mature young man.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/10/2014 7:17 AM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


Reminds me of how people wondered Manti Teo would play when he was drafted and the media circus.


I'd love the Panthers to pick him up in the mid rounds. Hope he drops a round to them now.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/10/2014 12:57 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 



ericwantsbbd wrote:

 Too bad baseball is the last major sport with a gay person.
None of the four major US sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) have had an active openly gay player.  They've all had former players come out after their careers.  Jason Collins could still make a comeback, but he hasn't played since coming out.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/10/2014 4:03 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


That sounds flimsy. NBA had first active (if not terrible and at end of career) player come out. NFL has mediocre active rookie about to come out and play. While baby steps they are indeed steps. No one from NHL or MLB has had quite the same progress. I love that baseball has been the forefront of a lot of progress. Too bad it isn't here.

I'd think, if I'm an owner of an nfl team, I'd want to draft Sam. He's a marketing bonanza with a demographic that's never been tapped into. I doubt a rabid football fan who happens to be a bigot would stop following the favorite team just because they drafted a player who is gay.

Even better if he is productive.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/11/2014 1:31 PM

RE: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


why do you have to market him as a gay player? why cant he just go out and play and leave his sexual preferences out of it? why can't everyone just say who gives a rats a$$ about whether he is gay or not and just play the game?
A's Rule

jason farmer
Sports Writer
USN - Iraq Veteran

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/11/2014 1:39 PM

RE: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 



jasonfarmer wrote: why do you have to market him as a gay player? why cant he just go out and play and leave his sexual preferences out of it? why can't everyone just say who gives a rats a$$ about whether he is gay or not and just play the game?
Well you don't, but you could if it would attract more fans....sort of like Ichiro attracts Japanese fans and Ryan Sweeney attracts 13 year old girls.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/11/2014 3:11 PM

RE: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 



jasonfarmer wrote: why do you have to market him as a gay player? why cant he just go out and play and leave his sexual preferences out of it? why can't everyone just say who gives a rats a$$ about whether he is gay or not and just play the game?
I agree 100%. I'm kinda sick of this stuff. Its not news and I don't give a flying F either way. The media makes it a big deal and people have to act all outraged. If we all looked at people as individuals instead of black, white, gay straight, alien, none of this would matter. I'm so apathetic to all of it. Just play the game and stop shoving this stuff in my face. Outside of some outspoken homophobes, I think society has mostly accepted this. Lets move on to bigger problems, like generational theft and devaluing of the currency. Stuff that actually matters and effects all of us.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/11/2014 3:15 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


It seems to be a widespread belief that gay men and women "coming out" is some in-your-face action that heterosexuals don't do and therefore is suspect about homosexuals. What you don't understand is that heterosexuals "declare" in their own ways. For example, NFL players often bring their girlfriends and wives to the locker room or to team events. That's a declaration and if a gay man brought his boyfriend (or husband in one of the states that allows gay marriage), you can bet there would be angry comments from fans (and some media) about how that gay man was being in-your-face by "flaunting" his lifestyle in front of everyone and in front of cameras. Further, it would be an ad hoc declaration of sexuality...the coverage and fall-out would occur before the athlete could say anything about it. By stating it himself, before he even enters an NFL locker room, he can take control of it and speak calmly and rationally about it.

I strongly suggest that you don't instantly judge a gay person who comes out in the public eye as some kind of attention-seeker or activist. A gay individual simply can't do all the things a straight individual can without it being seen as a declaration or symbol. It absolutely makes sense that such a person would rather get ahead of the coverage by declaring it on his own terms, so that when he does (if he does) bring his boyfriend to the locker room, just as other NFL players bring their significant others, it's a non-event. Or if he's seen on a date in the off-season with a guy, it's a non-event.

Sam isn't "marketing" himself as a gay player. He knows it's going to come out eventually (unless he actively tries to hide it his entire life, which I'm sure you'd all agree he shouldn't have to do) and he'd rather it come out when he can, as I said, speak calmly and rationally about it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/11/2014 3:28 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 



BanditoB wrote: Wow. Would love to see the Raiders draft this guy in round 4. We need pass rushers, and it'd be nice to see the post Al Davis Raiders be as progressive as they always were with the old man in charge.

Very impressed by his mental toughness, very mature young man.
I'm not convinced he is a 4th round talent.

Progressiveness is great. And I applaud Sam for the courage to do what no other professional football player has done. But you gotta be able to play at a high level. And there are about a dozen other pass rushers (probably just under that) who I would rather see drafted by Oakland based on pure ability.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/11/2014 3:30 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 



Minstrel wrote: It seems to be a widespread belief that gay men and women "coming out" is some in-your-face action that heterosexuals don't do and therefore is suspect about homosexuals. What you don't understand is that heterosexuals "declare" in their own ways. For example, NFL players often bring their girlfriends and wives to the locker room or to team events. That's a declaration and if a gay man brought his boyfriend (or husband in one of the states that allows gay marriage), you can bet there would be angry comments from fans (and some media) about how that gay man was being in-your-face by "flaunting" his lifestyle in front of everyone and in front of cameras. Further, it would be an ad hoc declaration of sexuality...the coverage and fall-out would occur before the athlete could say anything about it. By stating it himself, before he even enters an NFL locker room, he can take control of it and speak calmly and rationally about it.

I strongly suggest that you don't instantly judge a gay person who comes out in the public eye as some kind of attention-seeker or activist. A gay individual simply can't do all the things a straight individual can without it being seen as a declaration or symbol. It absolutely makes sense that such a person would rather get ahead of the coverage by declaring it on his own terms, so that when he does (if he does) bring his boyfriend to the locker room, just as other NFL players bring their significant others, it's a non-event. Or if he's seen on a date in the off-season with a guy, it's a non-event.

Sam isn't "marketing" himself as a gay player. He knows it's going to come out eventually (unless he actively tries to hide it his entire life, which I'm sure you'd all agree he shouldn't have to do) and he'd rather it come out when he can, as I said, speak calmly and rationally about it.
I wish we still had the star system so I could give you a five star
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/11/2014 4:54 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 


Ten stars. It's like we ignore recent events where Supreme Court is having to hear case litigation where gays get equal rights, as well as the federal government forcing rights for gays onto states that won't allow it. It's a huge deal that we have a gay man in a major sport who is active. That's never happened before and is cause for celebration. Calling it non news is a total slap in the face to those who have their rights trampled on regularly.

I don't remember hearing about an individual being killed for being straight. I can think of multiple example of people being killed for being gay.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/11/2014 6:12 PM

Re: OT: Michael Sam is gay, plays football. 



Minstrel wrote: It seems to be a widespread belief that gay men and women "coming out" is some in-your-face action that heterosexuals don't do and therefore is suspect about homosexuals. What you don't understand is that heterosexuals "declare" in their own ways. For example, NFL players often bring their girlfriends and wives to the locker room or to team events. That's a declaration and if a gay man brought his boyfriend (or husband in one of the states that allows gay marriage), you can bet there would be angry comments from fans (and some media) about how that gay man was being in-your-face by "flaunting" his lifestyle in front of everyone and in front of cameras. Further, it would be an ad hoc declaration of sexuality...the coverage and fall-out would occur before the athlete could say anything about it. By stating it himself, before he even enters an NFL locker room, he can take control of it and speak calmly and rationally about it.

I strongly suggest that you don't instantly judge a gay person who comes out in the public eye as some kind of attention-seeker or activist. A gay individual simply can't do all the things a straight individual can without it being seen as a declaration or symbol. It absolutely makes sense that such a person would rather get ahead of the coverage by declaring it on his own terms, so that when he does (if he does) bring his boyfriend to the locker room, just as other NFL players bring their significant others, it's a non-event. Or if he's seen on a date in the off-season with a guy, it's a non-event.

Sam isn't "marketing" himself as a gay player. He knows it's going to come out eventually (unless he actively tries to hide it his entire life, which I'm sure you'd all agree he shouldn't have to do) and he'd rather it come out when he can, as I said, speak calmly and rationally about it.

Thanks Minstrel.
Reply | Quote