Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD!

Posted: 7/22/2014 7:24 PM

Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


Starting Lineup: Cleveland at Minnesota

Cleveland
PosPlayerHRRBIAVG
2B Kipnis, Jason 5 30 .258
LF Dickerson, Chris 2 4 .407
CF Brantley, Michael 15 63 .328
1B Santana, Carlos 14 40 .205
3B Chisenhall, Lonnie 9 41 .325
DH Swisher, Nick 8 40 .207
C Gomes, Yan 13 38 .273
RF Murphy, David 6 46 .241
SS Aviles, Mike 3 23 .264
P Salazar, Danny (1-4, 5.53)
Minnesota
PosPlayerHRRBIAVG
CF Santana, Danny 2 16 .313
2B Dozier, Brian 18 45 .234
3B Plouffe, Trevor 7 45 .247
1B Morales, Kendrys 1 18 .240
DH Willingham, Josh 9 28 .217
C Suzuki, Kurt 2 40 .311
RF Arcia, Oswaldo 5 18 .213
SS Escobar, Eduardo 3 21 .272
LF Fuld, Sam 2 17 .269
P Pino, Yohan (1-2, 4.39)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 7:42 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


Shoot, you hate to see that (seeing your pitcher put you in a deficit) but would love to see us pick up Pino here and get him back in the ball game. 

For the most part, I've liked what I've seen from this guy and hopefully, he can do enough to stick.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:25 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


Looking around mlb, I notice arSandberg pull his head out of his nether-region and put Ben Revere in the starting lineup.  All he's done is go 3-3, stole 2 bases and scored two runs and pushing his average up to .299.  I think Revere deserves better than Philadelphia... wink.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:33 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


Would you trade Trevor May for Ben Revere right now?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:36 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


I wouldn't, but they can have Yohan Pino for Revere. I'm not sold on Pino at all.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:08 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


WHAT'S IS GONNA TAKE FOR OUR MANAGER TO NOTICE THAT GUERRIER IS NOT "ON" TONIGHT????
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:23 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


I was afraid we'd get a game like this right after a victory. this was another terrible effort and man this homestand, where we had so much hope and promise, has gone straight to hell hasn't it. Pino really hasn't made the grade with the big club. But his last start in Rochester was poor too....so maybe something is seriously wrong with his mechanics or he may be hiding an injury.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 



HighandTight29 wrote: Would you trade Trevor May for Ben Revere right now?
I'd think this would be a no-brainer. 

On one hand, you have a guy that has never played at the major league level and is by no means a "sure thing", versus a proven everyday, .300 hitting, major league established player.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:56 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


Pino IMO screams Liam Hendriks. He's not good enough for the majors, pretty decent in Triple-A. He's a AAAA pitcher. Send him down, call up May or Meyer. What have we got to lose? The season is pretty much a lost cause.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:59 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 



brian450 wrote:
HighandTight29 wrote: Would you trade Trevor May for Ben Revere right now?
I'd think this would be a no-brainer. 

On one hand, you have a guy that has never played at the major league level and is by no means a "sure thing", versus a proven everyday, .300 hitting, major league established player.
Than the same must go for Span and Alex Meyer, yes?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 11:18 PM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


I get where you're coming from, but you gotta look at each trade and players involved and then make a decision.  So yeah, I'd definitely agree there are other factors than just the everyday player vs. a unproven pitcher.

With regards to Span for Alex Meyer, I believe we're on the other side of the bell-shaped curve with Denard Span.  In other words, his best days are behind him, though he continues to be a serviceable player for the Washington Nationals.  Throw in the fact that he's more expensive than Ben Revere AND (imo), Alex Meyer's upside (aka "ceiling") is higher than Trevor May's, I say the answer is would be a clear and resounding 'no thank you'.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/23/2014 12:48 AM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 


When you consider where the twins were, they were both good moves despite depleting the OF. With their pitching they weren't competing with those guys the last three years, and they had to address it by restocking with arms that weren't too far from the majors. Same is true this year, they have the chance to move Suzuki and Morales for some decent return. Also why they should shop their most valuable piece since they won't be competing until these guys gain a couple years of majors experience, but they love their local guys.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/23/2014 6:29 AM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 



viperdk wrote: Pino IMO screams Liam Hendriks. He's not good enough for the majors, pretty decent in Triple-A. He's a AAAA pitcher. Send him down, call up May or Meyer. What have we got to lose? The season is pretty much a lost cause.
I agree.  When a guy takes 10 years to make it to the majors, that's usually not a good sign.  Throw in the fact his overall numbers in the minors (meaning over the course of his 10 year career) have been pretty pedestrian and I'm not sure we can expect too much out of this "young" pitcher (the guy is going to be 31 in December).  It would be a great story if he did make it, but like Hendricks, he just hasn't shown much at the Major League level to suggest that he can be a consistently good pitcher in the rotation.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/23/2014 7:22 AM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 



TheRealElGuapo wrote: When you consider where the twins were, they were both good moves despite depleting the OF. With their pitching they weren't competing with those guys the last three years, and they had to address it by restocking with arms that weren't too far from the majors. Same is true this year, they have the chance to move Suzuki and Morales for some decent return. Also why they should shop their most valuable piece since they won't be competing until these guys gain a couple years of majors experience, but they love their local guys.
Therein lies the problem....you almost never get a decent return when you offload guys at the deadline. I'll be shocked if the Twins make out well if they dump Suzuki and Morales now. Just a hunch...but I think they'll get fleeced and thereby lose two everyday players.

I must admit, I am pretty disappointed in Morales. Thought he'd be better. Still shaking off the rust? He'll do better with a contender.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/23/2014 9:07 AM

Re: Indians @ Twins - July 22nd, 2014 - GAME THREAD! 



insagt1 wrote:
TheRealElGuapo wrote: When you consider where the twins were, they were both good moves despite depleting the OF. With their pitching they weren't competing with those guys the last three years, and they had to address it by restocking with arms that weren't too far from the majors. Same is true this year, they have the chance to move Suzuki and Morales for some decent return. Also why they should shop their most valuable piece since they won't be competing until these guys gain a couple years of majors experience, but they love their local guys.
Therein lies the problem....you almost never get a decent return when you offload guys at the deadline. I'll be shocked if the Twins make out well if they dump Suzuki and Morales now. Just a hunch...but I think they'll get fleeced and thereby lose two everyday players.

I must admit, I am pretty disappointed in Morales. Thought he'd be better. Still shaking off the rust? He'll do better with a contender.
But even if only 1 out of 50 of the "pitching prospects" or "PTBNL" end up panning out, I personally still think it's worth it. Whether these players end up becoming Alex Meyer, or Kyle Gibson, or Lohse, or Garza, etc... The fact that Morales, Suzuki, Willingham aren't going to help US in 2016 make anything we get in return valuable. Even if there is a .000001 chance the return becomes relevant. 

This is how I feel, and felt back then too, with Revere and Span. Sure they are fast, and hit .290, and smile a lot.... but how were they going to help us when/if we become relevant (2015-2016 ish). The only thing that would have changed would have been their salaries, which then makes it even harder to go get arms because you have less money, and less prospecting arms. 

Maybe its just me, but I am/was getting pretty sick of the Pelfreys, Nolascos, Worleys, Capps, Pavanos pitching for us.
Reply | Quote