Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Best CF Option for Us in 2013

Posted: 1/8/2013 6:15 PM

Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


One thing is certain, we can't stand pat with what we have.  What was once an area of strength for our Twins with Revere's star rising, we now all of a sudden have a huge void to fill.

    Who Should We Do? Who should we target?

  1. Poll closed on 01/30/2013
  2. Internal Solution w. Hicks & Mastroianni front-runners: 3 votes
  3. Ryan Sweeney - We've talked to his agent...: 0 votes
  4. Grady Sizemore - Can the Guy be and stay healthy?: 2 votes
  5. Brent Lillibridge - Please nooooo, but rumors r swirlin: 0 votes
  6. Scott Podsednik - Enough in the tank for us?: 3 votes
  7. Trade to upgrade (but w TR's "moves" - call me afraid): 0 votes
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2013 6:38 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


I voted Sizemore, but only contingent upon passing a physical and also proving that the knee has recovered AND that we're satisfied that he can bring us some value in 2013... which in all honesty, it's a crap-shoot with Sizemore and probably not a good option - never mind rolleyes...

I think our best option is to go back to the Phillies and ask them if they want Worley and May back for Revere - and we'll even throw in Butera for the inconvenience.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2013 6:56 PM

RE: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


Is there any chance Hicks will be ready this season? Why didn't they trade Span for Worley and May and keep Revere.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2013 9:05 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


Both May and Myers are front of the rotation prospects at AA / AAA levels.  We need the arms.  We have lots of centerfield prospects.  Mastroianni, Hicks, Benson.  Nate Roberts hit well over .400 in this past AFL season.  Byron Buxton.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2013 9:16 PM

RE: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 



solomon69 wrote: Is there any chance Hicks will be ready this season? Why didn't they trade Span for Worley and May and keep Revere.
IMO, Hicks is not ready and Mastroianni is NOT an everyday player in the bigs - sorry.

Yes, I totally agree and your question is on every rational thinking person's mind... and now we've created yet another problem...

And with that "shrewd" move, we have a glaring hole in center fielder and a leadoff man.  We also should have kept Scott Baker at 5.5 mil for a year and with these two SIMPLE maneuvers, we're farther ahead financially AND talent wise (instead we frivolously dispense with  Revere and stupidly allowing Baker to walk and signing clowns like Correia and Pelfrey and have to somehow hope they'll do a job).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2013 9:38 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 



brian450 wrote: I voted Sizemore, but only contingent upon passing a physical and also proving that the knee has recovered AND that we're satisfied that he can bring us some value in 2013... which in all honesty, it's a crap-shoot with Sizemore and probably not a good option - never mind rolleyes...

I think our best option is to go back to the Phillies and ask them if they want Worley and May back for Revere - and we'll even throw in Butera for the inconvenience.
The above would be my choice for the poll! (the one referencing the Phillies)rolleyes
Hicks is probably not ready. He has been a slow bloomer and hasn't played a single game above AA yet. He needs another year of seasoning. Benson is coming off a forgettable season in total. He sucked at AAA and AA and finally went and got injured and that was that. Our manager commented he was 'too intense--took all failure way too hard so as to cripple his progress' .
Mastro will get a hard look barring a trade. Its asking a lot to have him replace Revere...that miserable punch and judy hitter.....disbelief
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2013 11:36 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


Scotty Pods! biggrin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/10/2013 5:48 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


You know, even Jason Repko might be a better option over Mastroianni (and is available).  And for those who unduly weigh 'arm strength' for an outfielder, Repko has not only a superior glove to Mastroianni, but he has a stronger arm as well...

I'll give the nod for plate discipline and a slight edge for speed to Mastroianni, but what we have in both would be decent "replacement players" in the event of a strike - not everyday players in the bigs for a team that wants to consider actually contending.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/14/2013 5:57 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


Here is a link suggesting we may be interested in Sweeney and/or Podsednik (among others):

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/scott_podsednik/
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/16/2013 6:22 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 



brian450 wrote: You know, even Jason Repko might be a better option over Mastroianni (and is available).  And for those who unduly weigh 'arm strength' for an outfielder, Repko has not only a superior glove to Mastroianni, but he has a stronger arm as well...

I'll give the nod for plate discipline and a slight edge for speed to Mastroianni, but what we have in both would be decent "replacement players" in the event of a strike - not everyday players in the bigs for a team that wants to consider actually contending.
No doubt, our solution in CF will be inferior to Philadelphia's and in that, barring unforeseeable injury to Revere, I am 100% certain.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 9:45 PM

RE: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


Could we move Rosario back to Center and streamline him to the Majors?
 Meyer and May will be top of the rotation starters by 2015. 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/24/2013 6:48 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 



brian450 wrote:
brian450 wrote: You know, even Jason Repko might be a better option over Mastroianni (and is available).  And for those who unduly weigh 'arm strength' for an outfielder, Repko has not only a superior glove to Mastroianni, but he has a stronger arm as well...

I'll give the nod for plate discipline and a slight edge for speed to Mastroianni, but what we have in both would be decent "replacement players" in the event of a strike - not everyday players in the bigs for a team that wants to consider actually contending.
No doubt, our solution in CF will be inferior to Philadelphia's and in that, barring unforeseeable injury to Revere, I am 100% certain.
Brilliant!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/31/2013 5:14 PM

Re: Best CF Option for Us in 2013 


Yeah, thanks.  I guess one doesn't need to be Nostadamus to predict that, right?  More power to Philadelphia for a shrewd acquisition and I'm sure that organization will appreciate what Ben Revere brings to the table.

Meanwhile, we're stuck with trying to rush up a AA'er (Hicks) or give the job to a replacement-type player (Mastroianni) - and we shouldn't delude ourselves to think that either is worthy to either fill or polish Revere's shoes.
Reply | Quote