Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
< Prev.  Page of 67  Next >

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont.

Posted: 12/10/2008 1:30 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


Funniest thing I read all day...

Oliver Perez Looking For Five Years, $70MM

Posted: 12/10/2008 1:47 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


I can see the Yanks doing a ton more.  New Stadium, New Steinbrenner, and not having done anything in the post season lately.  They aren't a small market team like apparantely we are... 

How is it that we haven't gotten Furcal if all we are competing with is the Blue Jays, Royals, and A's?
  • epicduck
  • R.C. Quakes
  • 272 posts this site

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:29 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


There are 42 free agents not offered arbitration, meaning the Yankees can only sign 3 type A and B agents maximum.


If there are 14 or fewer Type A or Type B free agents available, no team can sign more than one type A or B player. If there are between 15-38, no team can sign more than two. If there are between 39 and 62, there's a limit of three. However, teams can sign as many Type A or B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the limits above.
http://baseball.about.com/od/m...agentprimer.htm

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:32 PM

All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 


I think the Dodgers are waiting on Rafael Furcal to make his decision. One this dominoe falls, than everything else will start to take shape.

Option A) Furcal re-signs, Dodgers trade Juan Pierre to the Mets (maybe still for Luis Castillo), with Blake DeWitt splitting time with Blake and Castillo or possibly starting the year off in Las Vegas. With an outfield spot cleared, the Dodgers will pursue Manny, and might settle for Pat Burrell.

Option B) Furcal signs elsewhere, the Dodgers trade Blake DeWitt and other prospects for Miguel Tejada or Michael Young, Juan Pierre is traded for Luis Castillo, and the Dodgers pursue an outfielder and sign a free agent starter.

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:42 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



epicduck wrote: There are 42 free agents not offered arbitration, meaning the Yankees can only sign 3 type A and B agents maximum.


If there are 14 or fewer Type A or Type B free agents available, no team can sign more than one type A or B player. If there are between 15-38, no team can sign more than two. If there are between 39 and 62, there's a limit of three. However, teams can sign as many Type A or B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the limits above.
http://baseball.about.com/od/m...agentprimer.htm


Derek Lowe signing with the Yankees would just about be the worst case scenario for us. Lowe has a contract offer from the Phillies, while the Mets are also interested in him. Best case, most realistic scenario would be if the Mets signed Lowe. The Dodgers would then get the 25th pick in the draft, plus a supplemental first round pick around 37ish. If Lowe signs with the Phillies, we would get the 28th pick.

Additionally, Mark Teixeira looks like he might be going back to the East Coast. (Nationals, Orioles or Red Sox) If Teixeira does sign elsewhere, look for Scott Boras to get the Angels in on Manny Ramirez quickly. If the Angels sign Manny, the Dodgers would get the last pick in the first round, number 33 plus the 36th pick in the sandwich round. I could also see the Mets get in on Manny Ramirez if the Phillies sign Derek Lowe and the Braves sign AJ Burnett.

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:43 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



epicduck wrote: There are 42 free agents not offered arbitration, meaning the Yankees can only sign 3 type A and B agents maximum.


If there are 14 or fewer Type A or Type B free agents available, no team can sign more than one type A or B player. If there are between 15-38, no team can sign more than two. If there are between 39 and 62, there's a limit of three. However, teams can sign as many Type A or B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the limits above.
http://baseball.about.com/od/m...agentprimer.htm

Wow.  I didn't know that... thanks for the information.

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:45 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



wavemhome7 wrote: I can see the Yanks doing a ton more.  New Stadium, New Steinbrenner, and not having done anything in the post season lately.  They aren't a small market team like apparantely we are... 

How is it that we haven't gotten Furcal if all we are competing with is the Blue Jays, Royals, and A's?

His Agent is still holding out for 4 years.

Supposedly the A's offer was 4 years/$36 mil.  I think he made $13 mil per with the Dodgers.

Tx
  • PWReese
  • Dodger Guru
  • 3310 posts this site

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:47 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


Worst news of the year (heck, the decade or century) is on Tony Jackson's blog.  The Dodgers might be interested in signing Omar Vizquel to fill the shortstop hole until DeJesus is ready.  It's the backup plan if we don't resign Furcal.

Posted: 12/10/2008 2:59 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



PWReese wrote: Worst news of the year (heck, the decade or century) is on Tony Jackson's blog.  The Dodgers might be interested in signing Omar Vizquel to fill the shortstop hole until DeJesus is ready.  It's the backup plan if we don't resign Furcal.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Seriously, let's get our efforts far, far away from aging and injured Giants.  This better be a fabrication.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:01 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 



Speedy8 wrote: I think the Dodgers are waiting on Rafael Furcal to make his decision. One this dominoe falls, than everything else will start to take shape.

Option A) Furcal re-signs, Dodgers trade Juan Pierre to the Mets (maybe still for Luis Castillo), with Blake DeWitt splitting time with Blake and Castillo or possibly starting the year off in Las Vegas. With an outfield spot cleared, the Dodgers will pursue Manny, and might settle for Pat Burrell.

Option B) Furcal signs elsewhere, the Dodgers trade Blake DeWitt and other prospects for Miguel Tejada or Michael Young, Juan Pierre is traded for Luis Castillo, and the Dodgers pursue an outfielder and sign a free agent starter.
The Dodgers are not trading Blake Dewitt, as he can play two infield positions, is young and cheap. I say no to Tejada.  Young only if Texas pays a big part of his salary, I believe he has an extension that starts next year, 5 years $80mil.


"Just when you think you have won the Rat Race, along comes faster Rats!"

Last edited 12/10/2008 3:04 PM by missouriDodger

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:03 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 


Dodgers Might Have Interest In Vizquel

By Tim Dierkes [December 10 at 4:52pm CST]

Tony Jackson says the Dodgers might have interest in free agent shortstop Omar Vizquel if they can't sign Rafael Furcal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/


This is certainly a great rumor! 

This team could become unwatchable with a couple more moves in this direction!

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:10 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



TxDodger73 wrote:
wavemhome7 wrote: I can see the Yanks doing a ton more.  New Stadium, New Steinbrenner, and not having done anything in the post season lately.  They aren't a small market team like apparantely we are... 

How is it that we haven't gotten Furcal if all we are competing with is the Blue Jays, Royals, and A's?

His Agent is still holding out for 4 years.

Supposedly the A's offer was 4 years/$36 mil.  I think he made $13 mil per with the Dodgers.

Tx
We should match the dollar amount with a 3-year deal, with a 4th year option that would kick in based on plate appearances...that should beat the A's offer while we avoid that 4th year guarantee. Furcal is certainly worth more than $8 mil per year.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:10 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


He clearly would be nothing more than a fallback plan if the club doesn't sign Rafael Furcal, he'll turn 42 in April, and he hasn't hit better than .250 in three years. But he IS an 11-time Gold Glove winner and would be another excellent addition to the clubhouse. He also would shore up the SS position for a year until Ivan De Jesus is ready, although he wouldn't come close to providing the offense Furcal did.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:11 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



epicduck wrote: There are 42 free agents not offered arbitration, meaning the Yankees can only sign 3 type A and B agents maximum.


If there are 14 or fewer Type A or Type B free agents available, no team can sign more than one type A or B player. If there are between 15-38, no team can sign more than two. If there are between 39 and 62, there's a limit of three. However, teams can sign as many Type A or B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the limits above.
http://baseball.about.com/od/m...agentprimer.htm

Learn something new everyday...thanks man!
  • Quest2b1
  • Los Angeles Dodger
  • 1910 posts this site

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:12 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


I would completely give Frank and Ned a pass on 2009, if they did the following:

1. Did the renovations to Dodger stadium. I know to most fans this may not be important, but to me LAD stadium has a history of being one of the better venues, and I would like to regain that.

2. They made some moves to get a couple 5 star prospects (or at least a couple 4 star at need positions.

3. Spent money next year on a couple legit top tier FAs (Holliday and Bedard would be a nice start).

I do not have much hope for us to do anything this year, but I think if we just excepted that and tried to build towards a long term winning team, we would be better served.

Yes all this means no Manny, Furcal, Randy...just hopefully a ton of draft picks and a few more prospects we can build on.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:19 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


ESPN reports the Yankees are after Burnett, Pettite, Sheets,and Lowe next. They will only end up with two out of the four, but the point is if Lowe is one of the next two pitchers they sign we get the lower pick as the Brewers will get the higher pick for CC.  As appose to us getting a much higher pick from another team.

Last edited 12/10/2008 3:42 PM by washie

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:25 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 



missouriDodger wrote:
Speedy8 wrote: I think the Dodgers are waiting on Rafael Furcal to make his decision. One this dominoe falls, than everything else will start to take shape.

Option A) Furcal re-signs, Dodgers trade Juan Pierre to the Mets (maybe still for Luis Castillo), with Blake DeWitt splitting time with Blake and Castillo or possibly starting the year off in Las Vegas. With an outfield spot cleared, the Dodgers will pursue Manny, and might settle for Pat Burrell.

Option B) Furcal signs elsewhere, the Dodgers trade Blake DeWitt and other prospects for Miguel Tejada or Michael Young, Juan Pierre is traded for Luis Castillo, and the Dodgers pursue an outfielder and sign a free agent starter.
The Dodgers are not trading Blake Dewitt, as he can play two infield positions, is young and cheap. I say no to Tejada.  Young only if Texas pays a big part of his salary, I believe he has an extension that starts next year, 5 years $80mill.


"Just when you think you have won the Rat Race, along comes faster Rats!"
FYI :

5 years/$80M (2009-2013)
Signed extension with Rangers 3/07 with Rangers excercising $5M 2008 club option as part of the deal.  09-13 =  $16M annually ($15M deffered) with no trade and limited trade protection to varying degrees through the life of the contract.

I doubt we would take on that contract.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:28 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



PWReese wrote: Worst news of the year (heck, the decade or century) is on Tony Jackson's blog.  The Dodgers might be interested in signing Omar Vizquel to fill the shortstop hole until DeJesus is ready.  It's the backup plan if we don't resign Furcal.

If that's the case is Jack Wilson still available?  I would go after wee-man Eckstein before Vizquel.

Tx

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:33 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



washie wrote: ESPN reports the Yankees are after Beckett, Pettite, Sheets,and Lowe next. They will only end up with two out of the four, but the point is if Lowe is one of the next two pitchers they sign we get the lower pick as the Brewers will get the higher pick for CC.  As appose to us getting a much higher pick from another team.

Beckett? 

I believe the Yankees will only sign 1 more SP.  As it stands now their rotation is.......Sabathia, Wang, Chamberlain, and Hughes.  I heard Gammons or Kurkjian on Baseball tonight say the Yankees are looking to fill 2 rotation spots. That was before Sabathia was signed.

Tx

Last edited 12/10/2008 3:49 PM by TxDodger73

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:33 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


I don't understand why we need anymore prospects. We have a great base its time to get the FA that we need now. We have a very young solid team right now. I'm not trying to say that prospects aren't good or we don't need them, but theres no sense in wastnig the talent we have right now playing. We saw what happens when we have a premier bat on the team. Kemp, Loney, and Ethier all were hitting better after we got Blake and Manny on the roster. Why squander those guys and Martin, DeWitt, Kershaw and the previous 3 that I mentioned. There young and are going to be franchise type players in the future. We should be able to win now. We just need that one bat to solidify there talent and promote some action at the plate.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:37 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 


LA Times

The Angels, bracing themselves for the loss of Mark Teixeira, are believed to be considering a two-year offer to Manny Ramirez.

The Angels are considering an offer to Ramirez but would go no longer than two years, a source familiar with the club's thinking said today.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:39 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 



missouriDodger wrote:
Speedy8 wrote: I think the Dodgers are waiting on Rafael Furcal to make his decision. One this dominoe falls, than everything else will start to take shape.

Option A) Furcal re-signs, Dodgers trade Juan Pierre to the Mets (maybe still for Luis Castillo), with Blake DeWitt splitting time with Blake and Castillo or possibly starting the year off in Las Vegas. With an outfield spot cleared, the Dodgers will pursue Manny, and might settle for Pat Burrell.

Option B) Furcal signs elsewhere, the Dodgers trade Blake DeWitt and other prospects for Miguel Tejada or Michael Young, Juan Pierre is traded for Luis Castillo, and the Dodgers pursue an outfielder and sign a free agent starter.
The Dodgers are not trading Blake Dewitt, as he can play two infield positions, is young and cheap. I say no to Tejada.  Young only if Texas pays a big part of his salary, I believe he has an extension that starts next year, 5 years $80mil.


"Just when you think you have won the Rat Race, along comes faster Rats!"
As a Missouri Dodgers Fan, I could see why you wouldn't want the Dodgers to trade Blake DeWitt, youre biased haha. While the Dodgers do like DeWitt, if the Dodgers miss out on Raffy Furcal, they might consider moving him.

Omar Vizquel? Are you kidding me? If Vizquel is signed, Colletti should be fired immediately. Hu can do everything that Vizquel can do at this point, plus more.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:39 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



TxDodger73 wrote:
PWReese wrote: Worst news of the year (heck, the decade or century) is on Tony Jackson's blog.  The Dodgers might be interested in signing Omar Vizquel to fill the shortstop hole until DeJesus is ready.  It's the backup plan if we don't resign Furcal.

If that's the case is Jack Wilson still available?  I would go after wee-man Eckstein before Vizquel.

Tx
Funny... Ned probably reads this boards and realized that everyone hates the idea of Jack Wilson.  However, he floats an even worse idea in Vizquel, then he gets Wilson... Dodger fans can say, Wow!  Wilson is a better idea then Vizquel...

Oh the dreams of being a Dodger fan.  I can fall asleep tonight dreaming about getting Wilson or Vizquel...

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:43 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 



Speedy8 wrote: Omar Vizquel? Are you kidding me? If Vizquel is signed, Colletti should be fired immediately. Hu can do everything that Vizquel can do at this point, plus more.
Colletti has done more than enough to warrant his immediate firing already!

The Schmidt story is today's top reason to fire Colletti...

A Vizquel signing today would only finish second!

If we can add Vizquel, Hoffman, Moyer, and Alou to play LF we can call it a season.

Colletti will need to bring in an AARP Representative for this bunch, so he might not be able to bring them all in...

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:43 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



TxDodger73 wrote: Beckett?  I believe teh Yankees will only sign 1 more SP.  As it stands now their rotation is.......Sabathia, Wang, Chamberlain, and Hughes.  I heard Gammons or Kurkjian on Baseball tonight say the Yankees need to fill 2 rotation spots. That was before Sabathia was signed.

Tx
Sorry I meant Burnett !  And it was Phillips, and Olney who were reporting just now, when I heard the report.

Last edited 12/10/2008 3:45 PM by washie

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:52 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



BBSteve wrote: LA Times

The Angels, bracing themselves for the loss of Mark Teixeira, are believed to be considering a two-year offer to Manny Ramirez.

The Angels are considering an offer to Ramirez but would go no longer than two years, a source familiar with the club's thinking said today.

Reports from the Angels change like the weather. One minute they like Manny, the next they want no part. 

Tx

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:57 PM

Re: 2009 Dodgers (Offseason Moves) Cont. 



washie wrote:
TxDodger73 wrote: Beckett?  I believe teh Yankees will only sign 1 more SP.  As it stands now their rotation is.......Sabathia, Wang, Chamberlain, and Hughes.  I heard Gammons or Kurkjian on Baseball tonight say the Yankees need to fill 2 rotation spots. That was before Sabathia was signed.

Tx
Sorry I meant Burnett !  And it was Phillips, and Olney who were reporting just now, when I heard the report.

The Yankees reportedly offered the AJ Burnett 5 years, $91 million. This is getting out of hand.

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:57 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 



roncey10 wrote:
Speedy8 wrote: Omar Vizquel? Are you kidding me? If Vizquel is signed, Colletti should be fired immediately. Hu can do everything that Vizquel can do at this point, plus more.
Colletti has done more than enough to warrant his immediate firing already!

The Schmidt story is today's top reason to fire Colletti...

A Vizquel signing today would only finish second!

If we can add Vizquel, Hoffman, Moyer, and Alou to play LF we can call it a season.

Colletti will need to bring in an AARP Representative for this bunch, so he might not be able to bring them all in...
What Schmidt story?

Posted: 12/10/2008 3:57 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 



roncey10 wrote:
Speedy8 wrote: Omar Vizquel? Are you kidding me? If Vizquel is signed, Colletti should be fired immediately. Hu can do everything that Vizquel can do at this point, plus more.
Colletti has done more than enough to warrant his immediate firing already!

The Schmidt story is today's top reason to fire Colletti...

A Vizquel signing today would only finish second!

If we can add Vizquel, Hoffman, Moyer, and Alou to play LF we can call it a season.

Colletti will need to bring in an AARP Representative for this bunch, so he might not be able to bring them all in...

Did I miss something. What Schmidt story are you refering to??

Posted: 12/10/2008 4:08 PM

Re: All Quiet on the Dodgers front, for now 


Yankees have 2 1st rd picks can we get second 1st rd pick??? or is that protected if Lowe/Manny goes there..

Lets hope Burnett goes to NYY vs Lowe..and no Manny to NYY..

Last edited 12/10/2008 4:59 PM by colobrowns

< Prev.  Page of 67  Next >