Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 13  Next >

M's looking at Butler?

Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:25 AM

M's looking at Butler? 


Please?

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners have talked to the Royals about a possible trade for Billy Butler.

The Mariners are looking far and wide for a bat, but they'd be buying low on Butler. While he has shown some signs of life since early June, he has hit just three home runs through 93 games this season. The Mariners have also reportedly showed interest in Phillies outfielder Marlon Byrd.
Jul 15 - 10:15 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/439527/ms-h ave-talked-to-royals-about-billy-butler
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:27 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


take whatever you can get in return.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:35 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


Bag of balls and some pine tar, why yes Jack. Thank you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:42 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


Really....... what is wrong with Butler.  Eyesight, pitch recognition, will not adjust to the league, wants to leave, poor/wrong conditioning leads to PPP?  I'm finding it hard to believe that he is done, but for his 12 million salary next year, what would be his minimum level of production?  Can you get that somewhere else for 12 mil? It's darn sure he won't get a QO at this level, so there will be no draft pick. 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:45 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 



cranemo wrote:

  I'm finding it hard to believe that he is done, but for his 12 million salary next year, what would be his minimum level of production? 
You do know that it is a club option right?

Can you get that somewhere else for 12 mil? It's darn sure he won't get a QO at this level, so there will be no draft pick. 
Yup he probably will not get a qualifying offer.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:48 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


Would Billy go up to Cano and start the "Billy Butler" chant?


Fight fight fight for Iowa, Until the game is Won!!!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:49 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:51 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


The FA list next year is sh!t. Butler at $11.5M (12.5- $1M owed for a buyout) is going to look promising, like Ervin last year to teams. Sure the Angels only got a Chevy Suburban (or something) in return for Santana, but the Royals would be stupid not to take the option on Butler.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:51 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


Christmas in July if true, imo.




It ain't the one thing...



Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:12 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 





---------------------------------------------
--- cranemo wrote:

Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

---------------------------------------------

They should decline Butler's option and offer him a cheap 1 yr deal

"The one thing I’ve learned about Ned and Dayton both is they are as obsessed with winning as I am. All three of us have a real problem when we lose. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not just committed to winning, I’m obsessed with winning." -David Glass

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:13 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 





---------------------------------------------
--- Jonas1102 wrote:

The FA list next year is sh!t. Butler at $11.5M (12.5- $1M owed for a buyout) is going to look promising, like Ervin last year to teams. Sure the Angels only got a Chevy Suburban (or something) in return for Santana, but the Royals would be stupid not to take the option on Butler.

---------------------------------------------

You are assuming a fair amount of improvement from his last 162 games to make a statement like that.

Which is fine, and I understand the argument that he should rebound based on historical comps. But right now, from where I sit, I think the Billy you see is the Billy you will get.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:13 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 



DonaldEldridge wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- cranemo wrote:

Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

---------------------------------------------

They should decline Butler's option and offer him a cheap 1 yr deal
Year's supply of Oreos?

Last edited 7/15/2014 10:13 AM by CutleryCannon

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:18 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 



CutleryCannon wrote:
DonaldEldridge wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- cranemo wrote:

Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

---------------------------------------------

They should decline Butler's option and offer him a cheap 1 yr deal
Year's supply of Oreos?
I think you greatly underestimate Billy's Oreo eating ability for that to translate to a "cheap" deal.



Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:20 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 





---------------------------------------------
--- ElChupanibre wrote:


CutleryCannon wrote:
DonaldEldridge wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- cranemo wrote:

Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

---------------------------------------------

They should decline Butler's option and offer him a cheap 1 yr deal
Year's supply of Oreos?
I think you greatly underestimate Billy's Oreo eating ability for that to translate to a "cheap" deal.

---------------------------------------------

If I didn't know better, I would think that you're making a fat joke.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:29 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


No they shouldn't, the royals just need to move on from butler, free up the DH spot to play matchups and give certain players rest from the field like Perez and Cain
DonaldEldridge wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- cranemo wrote:

Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

---------------------------------------------

They should decline Butler's option and offer him a cheap 1 yr deal
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:34 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 



TompkinsIndustries wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- ElChupanibre wrote:


CutleryCannon wrote:
DonaldEldridge wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- cranemo wrote:

Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

---------------------------------------------

They should decline Butler's option and offer him a cheap 1 yr deal
Year's supply of Oreos?
I think you greatly underestimate Billy's Oreo eating ability for that to translate to a "cheap" deal.

---------------------------------------------

If I didn't know better, I would think that you're making a fat joke.

 

I would never do such a thing.

 photo billybutler_zps115e5f5c.png



Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:02 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 



cranemo wrote: Yep, I know is a club option.  I was assuming the R's would pick the option up figuring he would bounce back (off-season motivation after a bad season).  I just saw how bad Corey Hart is with the M's, but there is history with Hart/Yost/Sveum.  I wonder if this has story legs?

How much is Hart making? He was injured for a lot of this year wasn't he? I'd almost just trade Butler for Hart...I'd bet Hart gets it going if he's healthy now and he has a track record of hitting for power, where Billy does not. Just a swap of struggling DH's....but maybe change of scenery helps both.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:05 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 



TompkinsIndustries wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- Jonas1102 wrote:

The FA list next year is sh!t. Butler at $11.5M (12.5- $1M owed for a buyout) is going to look promising, like Ervin last year to teams. Sure the Angels only got a Chevy Suburban (or something) in return for Santana, but the Royals would be stupid not to take the option on Butler.

---------------------------------------------

You are assuming a fair amount of improvement from his last 162 games to make a statement like that.

Which is fine, and I understand the argument that he should rebound based on historical comps. But right now, from where I sit, I think the Billy you see is the Billy you will get.
I'm fairly confident that some team will give Billy a multiyear deal for an AAV greater than $8M per year.  So an $11.5M one year deal is more team friendly for a guy coming off a rough stretch.  His last 365 is still .289/.348/.385.  Not great, but still worth a chance.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:18 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


Trading Butler to Seattle who is the team KC is trying to catch in the WC would send a surrender message to the fans.  I believe the team sees their success tied to Billy's ability of the past.  IF he can produce like he has done in previous years, then KC will be right there.  If 2014 is the Royals' all in year, then they won't trade Butler to a contender ahead of them in standings.

The merits of trading him might be worth it.   They would receive some return on Butler instead of dealing with off season decision to make him a QO.  Always gambling there if he will take it or if any other team will sign him.  Can the Royals find production at DH spot equal to what Billy produces now?  I don't see a strong crop of bench players to give ABs to instead of Butler each night.  I do like the idea of rotating the DH but a lineup with Butler in it is still better than rotating DH and having a bench player in the lineup.  If DM made another move for Allen Craig or similar to cover the missing production, then I'd be OK with trading Butler.  Trading Butler just to get rid of him doesn't make sense in when KC is 2.5 games out of playoffs.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 11:23 AM

Re: M's looking at Butler? 


That would definitely be a kick in the nuts if he went to Seattle and went .300/.370/.440 the rest of the way.....
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 13  Next >