Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

gratuity

Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 4:43 AM

gratuity 


yep
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS

Last edited 1/19/2013 10:21 AM by MrMak

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 4:49 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


I'm glad we don't tip in Europe, I always get confused when being in the States how much is generous and how much is offensive
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 4:55 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



catsil wrote: I'm glad we don't tip in Europe, I always get confused when being in the States how much is generous and how much is offensive

You should tip 20%
Proud NRA Member
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 4:55 AM

Re: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



ravindersingh wrote: obviously bitter because the rockettes got smoked by the mavs...

tips 15 on 200...

what a dbag

on the other hand... the matrix and dantay jones were awesome as ususal
what Bar u work at?
Proud NRA Member
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 5:04 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



HotrodBeaubois wrote:
catsil wrote: I'm glad we don't tip in Europe, I always get confused when being in the States how much is generous and how much is offensive

You should tip 20%

But it's a little different custom for different states, is it?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 5:58 AM

Re: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


That's cool! :) What food did he order? What drinks did he order?'
Just saying!!! Hot
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 6:00 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



catsil wrote: I'm glad we don't tip in Europe, I always get confused when being in the States how much is generous and how much is offensive
Just give whatever you think is fair depending on how good you thought the service was, and if they're offended by it, so be it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 6:14 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



robillionaire wrote:
catsil wrote: I'm glad we don't tip in Europe, I always get confused when being in the States how much is generous and how much is offensive
Just give whatever you think is fair depending on how good you thought the service was, and if they're offended by it, so be it.
The problem is too many times people get great service and Tip 5-10% thinking oh well they make good money , but servers live off their tips since they only get $2.13 hour.

If your not prepared to tip 15-20% when you go out and get good service then you shouldnt go out!!!
Proud NRA Member
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 6:43 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



HotrodBeaubois wrote:
If your not prepared to tip 15-20% when you go out and get good service then you shouldnt go out!!!
Yeah, I often thought the tip is a little much because I didn't factor in when scouting prices as I should. I must have offended some people and made some others happy, because I tip in Europe often at a fixed price like €2 or €5 regardless of the restaurant.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:02 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



catsil wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
If your not prepared to tip 15-20% when you go out and get good service then you shouldnt go out!!!
Yeah, I often thought the tip is a little much because I didn't factor in when scouting prices as I should. I must have offended some people and made some others happy, because I tip in Europe often at a fixed price like €2 or €5 regardless of the restaurant.
Not sure how europe works. Is the tip included in the price or does the server get paid a high wage?

In most states in the country servers get $2.13 per hour . I think colorado may make a little more , when i lived in Vegas it was $5.15 .

But here in Texas pretty much all servers get paid $2.13 some Bartenders make more but most corporate restaurants try to pay the Bartenders $2.13 as well . Which means you never get a check because it goes to paying Taxes on your tips.

Also something that most people dont understand is Servers have to tip out Bartenders and Bussers a percentage of sales usually a couple of percent. Regardless if you got tipped or not.

So if the Bill was $200 you still have to tip say 2% ( $4 ) to Busser and 2% ( $4)  to Bartender. So if the guy tips $15 you make $7 , but alot places make you claim 8% of your sales in taxes so you get taxed on $16 when you only made $7.
Proud NRA Member

Last edited 1/17/2013 7:03 AM by HotrodBeaubois

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:05 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


F Toney. Douglas
FREE BOO BOO THE FOOL!!!!!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:15 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



HotrodBeaubois wrote:
catsil wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
If your not prepared to tip 15-20% when you go out and get good service then you shouldnt go out!!!
Yeah, I often thought the tip is a little much because I didn't factor in when scouting prices as I should. I must have offended some people and made some others happy, because I tip in Europe often at a fixed price like €2 or €5 regardless of the restaurant.
Not sure how europe works. Is the tip included in the price or does the server get paid a high wage?

In most states in the country servers get $2.13 per hour . I think colorado may make a little more , when i lived in Vegas it was $5.15 .

But here in Texas pretty much all servers get paid $2.13 some Bartenders make more but most corporate restaurants try to pay the Bartenders $2.13 as well . Which means you never get a check because it goes to paying Taxes on your tips.

Also something that most people dont understand is Servers have to tip out Bartenders and Bussers a percentage of sales usually a couple of percent. Regardless if you got tipped or not.

So if the Bill was $200 you still have to tip say 2% ( $4 ) to Busser and 2% ( $4)  to Bartender. So if the guy tips $15 you make $7 , but alot places make you claim 8% of your sales in taxes so you get taxed on $16 when you only made $7.

The server gets paid a higher wage. I used to serve at a crappy restaurant and get paid €7/hour. I get that the tipping system encourages better service – but what I have seen, commonly there is no real difference, except occasionally there are overly friendly waiters in the US. I usually care only about the food and not pay attention to service, so it works out for me.

It's just about how you are used to, really. I like things to be black-and-white with prices. Also I sometimes feel the friendly service is a bit artificial with the tipping system, whereas without it good service feels a little more genuine. Americans in Europe probably have reservations about other things.

Last edited 1/17/2013 7:24 AM by catsil

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 8:45 AM

Re: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 8:54 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


I tip a minimum 20%, that is if they are bad. No matter what they rely on tips to make their salary.

Normally I tip 30% if the service is good. But I own a restaurant and grew up in restaurants so I see things from the side of the workers, they bust their ass to cater to customers and should be compensated.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 8:59 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 9:09 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



mavsfan81 wrote: 15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
It takes pretty bad service for me to get below 15%.  It's certainly happened though.  I think the 5% tip is ideal for terrible service.  It says "I didn't forget the tip, you just sucked"




Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 9:17 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



GetKiddARing wrote:
mavsfan81 wrote: 15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
It takes pretty bad service for me to get below 15%.  It's certainly happened though.  I think the 5% tip is ideal for terrible service.  It says "I didn't forget the tip, you just sucked"
exactly. not everyone deserves 15-20%
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:09 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



juicyj2400 wrote:
GetKiddARing wrote:
mavsfan81 wrote: 15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
It takes pretty bad service for me to get below 15%.  It's certainly happened though.  I think the 5% tip is ideal for terrible service.  It says "I didn't forget the tip, you just sucked"
exactly. not everyone deserves 15-20%
Agreed. I've been in the restaurant business for close to 20 years so I know every in and out of every position. I know servers deserve a better pay per hour and if they work hard to earn a tip than they shoul get it. However if you slack ass and do a poor job you didnt earn a good tip plain and simple.
_________________________________________________________Dirk on the fact they had to survive after losing a large lead: "I mean, we lose leads. That's what we do."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:28 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


I don't like when people complain about the money they make. If you don't like it, switch careers -- try to go back to school. Be proactive. Just stop complaining. We all want more money.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:33 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



HotrodBeaubois wrote:
catsil wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
If your not prepared to tip 15-20% when you go out and get good service then you shouldnt go out!!!
Yeah, I often thought the tip is a little much because I didn't factor in when scouting prices as I should. I must have offended some people and made some others happy, because I tip in Europe often at a fixed price like €2 or €5 regardless of the restaurant.
Not sure how europe works. Is the tip included in the price or does the server get paid a high wage?

In most states in the country servers get $2.13 per hour . I think colorado may make a little more , when i lived in Vegas it was $5.15 .

But here in Texas pretty much all servers get paid $2.13 some Bartenders make more but most corporate restaurants try to pay the Bartenders $2.13 as well . Which means you never get a check because it goes to paying Taxes on your tips.

Also something that most people dont understand is Servers have to tip out Bartenders and Bussers a percentage of sales usually a couple of percent. Regardless if you got tipped or not.

So if the Bill was $200 you still have to tip say 2% ( $4 ) to Busser and 2% ( $4)  to Bartender. So if the guy tips $15 you make $7 , but alot places make you claim 8% of your sales in taxes so you get taxed on $16 when you only made $7.

Well I'm dumb to these facts how is it that servers don't get minimum wage?



"Damn it we will be back"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:40 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



milesberg wrote: I tip a minimum 20%, that is if they are bad. No matter what they rely on tips to make their salary.

Normally I tip 30% if the service is good. But I own a restaurant and grew up in restaurants so I see things from the side of the workers, they bust their ass to cater to customers and should be compensated.
So just curious. how do you land on the concept of a family pinching pennies choosing not to eat at your restaurant because they can't afford the 30% tip?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:54 AM

Re: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


COMING BACK TO THE TOPIC............

What bar???
Im guessing its in uptown somewhere?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:55 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



---------------------------------------------
--- samperkinsfan wrote:


milesberg wrote: I tip a minimum 20%, that is if they are bad. No matter what they rely on tips to make their salary.

Normally I tip 30% if the service is good. But I own a restaurant and grew up in restaurants so I see things from the side of the workers, they bust their ass to cater to customers and should be compensated.
So just curious. how do you land on the concept of a family pinching pennies choosing not to eat at your restaurant because they can't afford the 30% tip?

---------------------------------------------

The service industry doesn't exist in America without tips. Don't screw a penny pinching waiter because your (not yours, anyone's) penny pinching family is craving tacos...or wtv it is. Not fair, not courteous, disrespectful, selfish, and out of bounds for a decent human being. You pay for the service, otherwise you basically make the waiter your food slave for the night.....30 percent is generous though. a proper tip is 20 percent unless they just weren't very good, in which case 15 percent is acceptable.

Last edited 1/17/2013 10:57 AM by monopolyman

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:11 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



juicyj2400 wrote:
GetKiddARing wrote:
mavsfan81 wrote: 15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
It takes pretty bad service for me to get below 15%.  It's certainly happened though.  I think the 5% tip is ideal for terrible service.  It says "I didn't forget the tip, you just sucked"
exactly. not everyone deserves 15-20%
Sure not everyone deseves it , but there are more factors that you may not see.

1-Understaffed so server has more tables than they should have so they are in the weeds becaiuse of management.
2-Kitchen could be backed up or mess your food up thats why your food takes to long . But the customer will blame the server.
3-Same with the Bartender the have a tendency to not pay attention to servers drinks instead servicing their customers therefore taking your drinks longer . Who do you blame ? The Server.

Now while i agree there are some extremely terrible servers out there .But just because you got bad service doesnt mean its their fault.
Proud NRA Member

Last edited 1/17/2013 11:20 AM by HotrodBeaubois

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:14 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



salalani wrote: I don't like when people complain about the money they make. If you don't like it, switch careers -- try to go back to school. Be proactive. Just stop complaining. We all want more money.
Your probably the typical stiffer !! Its not even about giving bad service , you could give the best service in the world and some jack off like yourself stiffs the hard working server who is probably working their way through college.
Proud NRA Member

Last edited 1/17/2013 11:21 AM by HotrodBeaubois

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:17 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



HotrodBeaubois wrote:
juicyj2400 wrote:
GetKiddARing wrote:
mavsfan81 wrote: 15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
It takes pretty bad service for me to get below 15%.  It's certainly happened though.  I think the 5% tip is ideal for terrible service.  It says "I didn't forget the tip, you just sucked"
exactly. not everyone deserves 15-20%
Sure not everyone deseves it , but there are more factors that you may not see.

1-Understaffed so server has more tables than they should have so they are in the weeds becaiuse of management.
2-Kitchen could be backed up or mess your food up thats why your food takes to long . But the customer will blame the server.
3-Same with the Bartender the have a tendency to not pay attention to servers drinks instead servicing their customers there for taking your drinks longer . Who do you blame ? The Server.

Now while i agree there are some extremely terrible servers out there .But just because you got bad service doesnt mean its their fault.
Sure. If the place is packed, I'm not gonna get upset about slow food or having to ask more than once for a refil. But there has been times where the server barely even looks in our table's direction. I can understand some things aren't in their control but the proper thing to do IMO is to let us know whats going on, or at a minimum ask if we need anything.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:18 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



Chucky53 wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
catsil wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
If your not prepared to tip 15-20% when you go out and get good service then you shouldnt go out!!!
Yeah, I often thought the tip is a little much because I didn't factor in when scouting prices as I should. I must have offended some people and made some others happy, because I tip in Europe often at a fixed price like €2 or €5 regardless of the restaurant.
Not sure how europe works. Is the tip included in the price or does the server get paid a high wage?

In most states in the country servers get $2.13 per hour . I think colorado may make a little more , when i lived in Vegas it was $5.15 .

But here in Texas pretty much all servers get paid $2.13 some Bartenders make more but most corporate restaurants try to pay the Bartenders $2.13 as well . Which means you never get a check because it goes to paying Taxes on your tips.

Also something that most people dont understand is Servers have to tip out Bartenders and Bussers a percentage of sales usually a couple of percent. Regardless if you got tipped or not.

So if the Bill was $200 you still have to tip say 2% ( $4 ) to Busser and 2% ( $4)  to Bartender. So if the guy tips $15 you make $7 , but alot places make you claim 8% of your sales in taxes so you get taxed on $16 when you only made $7.

Well I'm dumb to these facts how is it that servers don't get minimum wage?
Their tips are suppose to make it where they make minimum wage. If they dont the buisness has to pay . But not to many people work as a server to make minimum wage.

Ive always thought that Restaurants should still have to pay atleast Minimum wage or least when the minimum wage goes up the $2.13 per hour should go up. But it doesnt its been that way atleast 25 years.
Proud NRA Member
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:22 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 



juicyj2400 wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:
juicyj2400 wrote:
GetKiddARing wrote:
mavsfan81 wrote: 15% is a minimum for me, I usually tip over 20%. I can't imagine having the balls to go into a restaurant and tip 5 or 10%.
It takes pretty bad service for me to get below 15%.  It's certainly happened though.  I think the 5% tip is ideal for terrible service.  It says "I didn't forget the tip, you just sucked"
exactly. not everyone deserves 15-20%
Sure not everyone deseves it , but there are more factors that you may not see.

1-Understaffed so server has more tables than they should have so they are in the weeds becaiuse of management.
2-Kitchen could be backed up or mess your food up thats why your food takes to long . But the customer will blame the server.
3-Same with the Bartender the have a tendency to not pay attention to servers drinks instead servicing their customers there for taking your drinks longer . Who do you blame ? The Server.

Now while i agree there are some extremely terrible servers out there .But just because you got bad service doesnt mean its their fault.
Sure. If the place is packed, I'm not gonna get upset about slow food or having to ask more than once for a refil. But there has been times where the server barely even looks in our table's direction. I can understand some things aren't in their control but the proper thing to do IMO is to let us know whats going on, or at a minimum ask if we need anything.

I agree and like i said there are still some Idiot Servers.
Proud NRA Member
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 11:56 AM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


Typically, 15% if average or 20% for good service. If the service is really bad, they wont get 15.

For some strange reason, when I'm at Hooters, 3rd Base, Bone Daddys, or Twin Peaks, I will frequently tip more.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/17/2013 1:11 PM

RE: toney douglas comes into my bar tonight... 


I'm sorry, but a bartender shouldnt automatically expect 20%, like a normal server would. I normally tip 20-30% for servers, because they actually have to do work to bring out my food, make sure it's right. But 20% to reach behind the bar and hand me a beer? Bartenders usually get lucky, BC I tip a dollar per drink (or maybe more, depending on how much mixing was involved. But if a customer comes in and orders a $100 bottle of wine, I would never expect t
he server to expect $20 automatically.


my wife is a server/bartender at a fine dining restaurant in Addison, and I have many friends who rely on tips for their main source of income, so I do understand the plight of working a low waged job. Someone needs to step up and advocate for servers rights, I dont understand how in this day that the service industry can get away with paying their employees so little, and make their customers pay them instead

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >