Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Indians claim Carrera

Posted: 5/2/2013 6:14 PM

Indians claim Carrera 


Zeke is back with the Indians per Team Stream.

Last edited 5/2/2013 6:17 PM by jason251213

Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 6:36 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 


Designated McDade to make room for Carrera on 40-man.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 7:01 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 


I always liked Carrera, but he didn't catch any breaks when we opened the season with 3 guys who could play CF.  Glad to have him back.
Mike
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 7:02 PM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


Solid AAAA depth, but if he doesn't see the field much this season its because we're healthy. I'm ok with it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 7:09 PM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


i like mcdade more than i like carrera, but this is an easily defended/understandable  move.

Last edited 5/2/2013 7:32 PM by buddy34

Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 7:23 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 


A move in response to Swisher's shoulder?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 8:12 PM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


The Tribe temporarily has a spot open on the 25 man roster.  The pen is well  rested allowing the addition of a position player.  Swisher has a sore shoulder (but is expected back tomorrow) Bourn, the Tribe's every day center fielder and lead off hitter is on the DL and Brantley has played in all but one Tribe game.  It makes sense adding Carrera because he can substitute for Brantley both in the lead off spot in the outfield.  Stubbs can also be given a day off.  With Bourn out the outfield defense suffers considerably if either Brantley or Stubbs are not in the lineup.

Carrera will likely be DFAed as soon as Bourn is ready absent an injury sending a position player to the DL.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 8:20 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 



PPark wrote: A move in response to Swisher's shoulder?
Does anyone have any further details on his injury yet?

edit: oops didn't see Jennifer's post about how he's expected back.

Last edited 5/2/2013 8:21 PM by Dromag67

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 8:32 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 



Dromag67 wrote:
PPark wrote: A move in response to Swisher's shoulder?
Does anyone have any further details on his injury yet?

edit: oops didn't see Jennifer's post about how he's expected back.
Swisher has a slightly sore left shoulder apparently the result of all the time he has spent in the outfield. Unless something has changed since yesterday he is expected to be in the lineup tomorrow.

One of the ways Francona significantly differs from Acta is that he will rest players with minor injuries and even rest them an extra day when he can because he doesn't want to risk aggravating an injury and having to lose even more time.  Acta seemed more willing to let players work through minor injuries and when a player missed games to rush him back into the lineup.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 8:47 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 



JenniferMarie wrote:
Dromag67 wrote:
PPark wrote: A move in response to Swisher's shoulder?
Does anyone have any further details on his injury yet?

edit: oops didn't see Jennifer's post about how he's expected back.
Swisher has a slightly sore left shoulder apparently the result of all the time he has spent in the outfield. Unless something has changed since yesterday he is expected to be in the lineup tomorrow.

One of the ways Francona significantly differs from Acta is that he will rest players with minor injuries and even rest them an extra day when he can because he doesn't want to risk aggravating an injury and having to lose even more time.  Acta seemed more willing to let players work through minor injuries and when a player missed games to rush him back into the lineup.
Yeah I noticed that, thanks for the info!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 9:26 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 


To be fair, Acta never had the decent roster options that Francona had. Francona has bench players who can actually play. Acta had scrap.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/2/2013 9:57 PM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 



CATS44 wrote: To be fair, Acta never had the decent roster options that Francona had. Francona has bench players who can actually play. Acta had scrap.
I was offering what I think is a general philosophical difference.  I could be wrong but even if Francona had Acta's roster I believe he would be more conservative with respect to injuries than Acta was.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/3/2013 12:08 AM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 


+1


JenniferMarie wrote:
CATS44 wrote: To be fair, Acta never had the decent roster options that Francona had. Francona has bench players who can actually play. Acta had scrap.
I was offering what I think is a general philosophical difference.  I could be wrong but even if Francona had Acta's roster I believe he would be more conservative with respect to injuries than Acta was.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 5/3/2013 3:03 AM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 



JenniferMarie wrote:
CATS44 wrote: To be fair, Acta never had the decent roster options that Francona had. Francona has bench players who can actually play. Acta had scrap.
I was offering what I think is a general philosophical difference.  I could be wrong but even if Francona had Acta's roster I believe he would be more conservative with respect to injuries than Acta was.

I chalk up this "general philosophical difference" to Acta being on a hot seat and needing to show he could win games.  He didn't exactly bring the kind of resume to the job that Terry did.  Francona has the kind of security and time horizon that most managers--particularly Cleveland Indians mangers--only dream about.

That being said, as an ex-player with a lengthy career, and one where he was often a role-player, Terry understands the need to keep a bench fresh, to properly rest nicked-up regulars, and respect the draining effects of a grueling season.  I like what I've seen so far, although it will be interesting to see how if he stubbornly sticks with Kipnis' place in the upper part of the lineup if Jason hasn't heated up yet once Bourn comes back.  That may be Terry's first delicate issue on the everyday player front.  Kipnis may have a week to ten days to show some demonstrable improvement if he wants to continue batting second.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/3/2013 6:00 AM

RE: Indians claim Carrera 


I think Francona had a lot more leeway in chosing the roster than Acta had-the Indians were committed to supporting him much more than they were to Acta.


The roster the Indians currently have is much more bacause that's what Francona wanted than it was when Acta managed.

In 2013 the Indians line up is the most balance I have seen in while. It has a perfect combination of right handed left handed hitters, has both power and speed, has veteran capable of playing multiple positions(emphasis on capable), and the best bench in the American League.  This is definitely a reflection on Francona.

In 2012 Acta was given the worst balanced line up I ever saw with very little major league talent on the bench.

Last edited 5/3/2013 6:37 AM by greggleeb

Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/3/2013 7:45 AM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


LaPorta was just acctivated in AAA.  Sorry to even bring that up.  I'd muh rather see what Chen can do in AAA.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/3/2013 8:06 AM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


I'm happy as I like Carrera... but surrpised

As folks have pointed out it seems a very temporary move assuming Swisher and Bourn are not any more injured than we have been led to believe - which I don't think they are...

I agree that once everyone is healthy he'd be DFAd - it all depend on just that - everyone being healthy which may or may not ever happen

good - aggressive roster move - I like it...

I mean aggressive in that it would be easy to bring up Phelps or even another pitcher...

I do hope with Raburn playing well we don't see Swisher in the OF anymore...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/3/2013 10:10 AM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 




---------------------------------------------
--- buckeyedanpt2 wrote:

I'm happy as I like Carrera... but surrpised

As folks have pointed out it seems a very temporary move assuming Swisher and Bourn are not any more injured than we have been led to believe - which I don't think they are...

I agree that once everyone is healthy he'd be DFAd - it all depend on just that - everyone being healthy which may or may not ever happen

good - aggressive roster move - I like it...

I mean aggressive in that it would be easy to bring up Phelps or even another pitcher...

I do hope with Raburn playing well we don't see Swisher in the OF anymore...

---------------------------------------------
That last sentence was part of the reason I asked the Swisher question above. If a decision like that has been made it changes the way the roster is utilized and quite possibly its composition.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/3/2013 10:42 AM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


No idea but the issue, obviously is if Swisher is not in RF you can't have Giambi and Reynolds in the lineup unless Reynolds is at 3B. 

IMHO No swisher in RF makes Giambi almost a complete non-player. 
It could be a more short term - don't play him in RF until he's 100% type thing.

I don't want to read that into this move - which as others have said simply can be grabbing a guy on waives to fill a role in the short term until Bourn is back...

I'm giving my hope - not necessarily what they'll do...

Either way
OF depth is pretty thin - yah got three guys! (Brantley, Stubbs and Rabun!) while Swisher isn't playing any OF and Bourn out!

move makes short term sense - deal with the LT when/if you have to.

Last edited 5/3/2013 10:43 AM by buckeyedanpt2

Reply | Quote
  • CDAV45
  • Member
  • 380 posts this site

Posted: 5/3/2013 11:37 AM

Re: Indians claim Carrera 


I like Zeke, but isn't Aviles qualified to play some OF if the need arises.  It would be another way to get him some AB's.  Even better, release Giambi and keep Zeke.  Good pinch runner when the need arises.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >