Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

OT -- Please Post

Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 10:25 AM

OT -- Please Post 


I've noticed in the last few weeks quite an increase in the number of you that are signed in but never post.  Some of whom first registered over ten years ago.

Surely you have opinions and some of those opinions are as worthy of being expressed and read by others as some of the opinions of those of us that do post.

To me it seems somewhat selfish that you will read our opinions but are unwilling to share yours.

Your posting opinions will enrich all of us that read and think about what everyone else is posting.

Please at least consider starting to post occasionally.  What better time is there to start being active than now when pre-season interest in our Tribe is higher than it has been in a few years. 

Thanks, I look forward to reading your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 10:37 AM

Re: OT -- Please Post 



JenniferMarie wrote: I've noticed in the last few weeks quite an increase in the number of you that are signed in but never post.  Some of whom first registered over ten years ago.

Surely you have opinions and some of those opinions are as worthy of being expressed and read by others as some of the opinions of those of us that do post.

To me it seems somewhat selfish that you will read our opinions but are unwilling to share yours.

Your posting opinions will enrich all of us that read and think about what everyone else is posting.

Please at least consider starting to post occasionally.  What better time is there to start being active than now when pre-season interest in our Tribe is higher than it has been in a few years. 

Thanks, I look forward to reading your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link
Jenn Marie ... Great post

I will say that there are times that I have been on and not posted because I am simply checking to see if there is anything at all is being mentioned by anyone in the know regarding spring training ... Generally nothing - so I leave 

there are also times that it is tough to get any real feedback because one, two or more being interested only in a conversation that they are having with another member or other members

and finally sometimes questions or messages are not responded to in a serious fashion if at all -as regardless of how long one has been around- one simply is not part of the cliquish behavior that hits boards of this nature ...  

Factor in the new people being shouted down for views periodically and you may have the reasons why the numbers are low here - an even more critical issue than not posting - in easily one of the more interesting stretches of time in recent memory of the tribe
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 11:44 AM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


Lupen your right but having been around awhile and on receiving end of some shout downs I can assure you they don't really matter. If you love the Tribe like I do just go for it. The board is much more interesting when people are posting. The back and forth on some points when a couple people decide to argue is annoying but doesn't really matter in the big picture.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 11:54 AM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


Well, I love most of the offseason moves so far. Most excited for Bauer, least excited for Giambi.

I cant wait to see how the starting rotation shapes up after ST.

Looks like we will have some interesting baseball this year, which is what we all hope for.

I check this board everyday for news and opinions. I just dont always have time or anything worthy to add to the conversations. I love chatting on the game threads though.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 12:46 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


Yeah, I post every once in a while but not as often as you'd expect considering how often I read these boards.

I usually read every single post, and usually end my day going through all the threads and reading the new posts. I also do a similar thing during my lunch break. If I'm riding the bus or waiting for the bus I often read these posts on my phone as well.

It's hard to post when I am on my phone, though, so that's one reason why sometimes I don't reply. The scout forum is very phone-unfriendly.... especially when trying to type a response.

Other than that, sometimes I am discouraged when I type a long post and no one really replies to it (it's ignored or other arguments in that thread continue and my post is overlooked). That's annoying, especially once when i spent an hour putting together a very long post and no one ever replied to it. Other than that this forum is pretty good, however sometimes its a little frustrating when a thread gets WAY off topic and just turns into a few people arguing about who knows what. At that point I stop following it (see the Bourn thread).

But yes, more people here would be fun. Would like to engage people more. It can be hard though, I've seen some people on this forum attack less-frequent posters over silly things which is not cool. People have to respect each other.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 12:53 PM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


A few posters seem to enjoy denigrating the less knowledgeable. I am reluctant to post for fear of making an ass out of myself. I'll probably get hammered for this reply!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 12:53 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


I post here pretty often, but I am a lurker on the Browns board and don't post there much at all. I just don't know as much about football as most of those folks do, and I am content for the most part to simply read.  Others might feel that way here.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 12:55 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


nice idea, jennifer marie. all opinions welcome. but please check the boorish behavior at the door.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 12:59 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 



---------------------------------------------
--- durmiente wrote:

Yeah, I post every once in a while but not as often as you'd expect considering how often I read these boards.

I usually read every single post, and usually end my day going through all the threads and reading the new posts. I also do a similar thing during my lunch break. If I'm riding the bus or waiting for the bus I often read these posts on my phone as well.

It's hard to post when I am on my phone, though, so that's one reason why sometimes I don't reply. The scout forum is very phone-unfriendly.... especially when trying to type a response.

Other than that, sometimes I am discouraged when I type a long post and no one really replies to it (it's ignored or other arguments in that thread continue and my post is overlooked). That's annoying, especially once when i spent an hour putting together a very long post and no one ever replied to it. Other than that this forum is pretty good, however sometimes its a little frustrating when a thread gets WAY off topic and just turns into a few people arguing about who knows what. At that point I stop following it (see the Bourn thread).

But yes, more people here would be fun. Would like to engage people more. It can be hard though, I've seen some people on this forum attack less-frequent posters over silly things which is not cool. People have to respect each other.

---------------------------------------------

I always enjoy your posts so please keep them up.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 2:16 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 



AustinTribeFan wrote: I post here pretty often, but I am a lurker on the Browns board and don't post there much at all. I just don't know as much about football as most of those folks do, and I am content for the most part to simply read.  Others might feel that way here.
Don't worry the Browns fans over there don't know nearly as much as they'd like to believe that they do.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 2:36 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


The vitriol that is spewed over on the OBR is certainly a turn-off to potential posters.  I tend to only respond to topics where no one will misconstrue what I'm saying and then launch a button-mashing tirade with no basis in logic.  Even then, people there would take offense if you suggested the sky had a bluish hue.

There is also a drastic difference in atmosphere between the sub-boards.  Psychologically, it's an interesting study.  The Draft Brew, where I post most, is a safe haven of rational and supportive people.

As for this board, I have no great reasons as to why not to post.  I think, in the past, though I love coming here to view game threads and get news, I was turned off by the rampant debate between "statheads and traditionalists," or whichever derogatory terms are most apropos (a debate in which I take no sides).  As a whole, it's more civil around here than the Browns site, so I guess I'll chime in from time to time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 2:49 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


Years ago I posted somewhat regularly on this board.  I was nowhere near a frequent poster, but I did post.  I still do every once in a while....but I have to tell you that it is just too damn easy to step on someone's pet peeve.  Granted, this site is considerably better than others, but I just am not interested in fighting.  As a consequence, most of the time I post when I feel I have a strong position and rarely at other times.  I'm not completely consistent in this, but......I'm human.

I guess I see posting in sports boards as sort of like karaoke.  You are going to take some abuse, so you kind of have to be drunk to do it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 3:30 PM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


A few years ago, I was a pretty regular poster. Personally, I quit posting, and left the site for a while, because I got tired of a certain number of posters constantly bashing other posters for their opinions. It seemed that 3 or 4 posters ran this site, and if your opinion did not fall in line with theirs, you were ostricized, bashed, and generally mistreated regardless of what you said. I think this reason also caused some others to leave or quit posting. Since I have come back, it does not seem to be as bad, but it also seemed until recently that some of the posters mentioned above did not post as much. In recent days, I have noticed some of these posters being more active, and have noticed some of the bashing, which I got tired of dealing with, rearing its ugly head. Some people just have no desire to try to understand other peoples points of view, which in my view ruins the whole posting effect for me. It is no skin off my back whether I post or not, and I'm not going to post, only to have certain posters rip apart my posts for their mere enjoyment. So, at this time, I will continue to lurk, and possibly offer an opinion occasionally. 

The other thing that turned me off right away when I came back was immediately being accused of having multiple usernames, right of the bat. Talk about ruining the experience. People were quick to point fingers without first taking the time to get to know me. 

With that being said, I do enjoy interacting with some posters. Jennifer, you are one of the more receptive of everyone's views and are not condescending about it, even when you disagree. If everyone could be like you, I think more people would post.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 4:18 PM

RE: OT -- Please Post 


I post here but not too often but enjoy reading other's comment. There is a plethora of knowledge on this board.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 4:33 PM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


Im a big time poster on the Buckeye board, but I mostly just lurk here as my knowledge of saber metrics isn't the best, and some of you guys are baseball statisticians.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/16/2013 4:42 PM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


Yeah I definitely don't post too often; I just like reading everyone's thoughts/opinions.  This is my go-to source for news on the Tribe.  I wouldn't say it's selfish not to post, but I see your point.  The good thing is that everyone is really welcoming on these boards, which isn't always the case with online forums (this is an understatement).

Anyway keep up the good work.  I'll try to contribute more as I see fit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/17/2013 12:14 AM

Re: OT -- Please Post 



BornAndBred47 wrote: Im a big time poster on the Buckeye board, but I mostly just lurk here as my knowledge of saber metrics isn't the best, and some of you guys are baseball statisticians.
Eh, we only had one poster that I would have really considered a statistician and he left.  I think you'll find that if you are open minded about it, the numbers just aren't that tricky.  Most of my knowledge comes on the matter comes from a message board.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/17/2013 12:26 AM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


Pretty regular poster on the Buckeye and Browns boards. Occasionally post here, just not enough traffic here and not as comfortable with some of the math and what not that goes on around here.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/17/2013 12:31 AM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


I check the board three or four times per day. I look at it as a much smaller, yet equally informative version of SOSH, where sharing and exchanging useful information and viewpoints to make yourself a more knowledgeable fan is considered paramount--as opposed to some of the run of the mill forums that serve as mini-Facebook boards where meaningless vanity posts are encouraged to gain contributors--while completely sacrificing quality.

Oasis
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/17/2013 1:34 AM

Re: OT -- Please Post 


I enjoy your posts so you should keep posting. I remember the situation that you speak of where someone accused you of having a different user name. I believe there was someone else at the same time who was making multiple accounts and posting and the timing was just very bad that they thought you were with that same person. that is definitely something that they should not have done but I think it was just bad luck. in any case I hope that you continue to post.

---------------------------------------------
--- Indians2013WS wrote:

A few years ago, I was a pretty regular poster. Personally, I quit posting, and left the site for a while, because I got tired of a certain number of posters constantly bashing other posters for their opinions. It seemed that 3 or 4 posters ran this site, and if your opinion did not fall in line with theirs, you were ostricized, bashed, and generally mistreated regardless of what you said. I think this reason also caused some others to leave or quit posting. Since I have come back, it does not seem to be as bad, but it also seemed until recently that some of the posters mentioned above did not post as much. In recent days, I have noticed some of these posters being more active, and have noticed some of the bashing, which I got tired of dealing with, rearing its ugly head. Some people just have no desire to try to understand other peoples points of view, which in my view ruins the whole posting effect for me. It is no skin off my back whether I post or not, and I'm not going to post, only to have certain posters rip apart my posts for their mere enjoyment. So, at this time, I will continue to lurk, and possibly offer an opinion occasionally. 

The other thing that turned me off right away when I came back was immediately being accused of having multiple usernames, right of the bat. Talk about ruining the experience. People were quick to point fingers without first taking the time to get to know me. 

With that being said, I do enjoy interacting with some posters. Jennifer, you are one of the more receptive of everyone's views and are not condescending about it, even when you disagree. If everyone could be like you, I think more people would post.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >