Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Gomes to BoSox

Posted: 11/21/2012 8:55 PM

Gomes to BoSox 


2 yr/ $10 mil.

What's FO going to say? We tried? No they didn't.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:01 PM

Re: Gomes to BoSox 


Did this need its own thread?


Oh wait, I see who the OP is. Carry on.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:04 PM

Re: Gomes to BoSox 


Johnny Gomes is a 6 win player.

For his career.


Laughable, just laughable that anybody would complain about this.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:27 PM

Re: Gomes to BoSox 


Too much for jonny Gomes. Really
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:30 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


So what if its a new thread, not like there is any excitement on here anyways.

He is better then anything we have right now to put in LF.

Bet if we did sign him, you all would have been ecstatic.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/21/2012 10:29 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 



jason251213 wrote: So what if its a new thread, not like there is any excitement on here anyways.

He is better then anything we have right now to put in LF.

Bet if we did sign him, you all would have been ecstatic.
No, I wouldn't have been ecstatic, I want somebody that the Indians can play  everyday!!! Shane Victorino or BJ Upton would be my top choices that the tribe might be able to afford! Bay would be nice if we can get him cheap enough, but I wouldn't overspend for Bay;because he could continue to hit below the Mendoza line... My dream would be Josh Hamilton but that's just a bad dream that wouldn't allow the tribe to sign the pitching they need for next year...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 7:21 AM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 



casper18837 wrote:
jason251213 wrote: So what if its a new thread, not like there is any excitement on here anyways.

He is better then anything we have right now to put in LF.

Bet if we did sign him, you all would have been ecstatic.
No, I wouldn't have been ecstatic, I want somebody that the Indians can play  everyday!!! Shane Victorino or BJ Upton would be my top choices that the tribe might be able to afford! Bay would be nice if we can get him cheap enough, but I wouldn't overspend for Bay;because he could continue to hit below the Mendoza line... My dream would be Josh Hamilton but that's just a bad dream that wouldn't allow the tribe to sign the pitching they need for next year...
Ni, it's a bad dream because the Indians won't shell out half the money Hamilton gets for one year on all the FA's they sign for 2013.  I also think Hamilton will be the worst signing of all the FA this season.

Gomes would have been a good signing as a right handed bat.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 8:43 AM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


Pass on Gomes.

He is better than what we have right now, tis true.

But that isnt saying much of anything.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 10:05 AM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


Gomes as strictly a DH without having to play the field would be a 2-3 WAR.  That is the equivalent to what Michael Brantley gave us last year and I think most of us would think 2 years at 5 million per season would be a bargain for Brantley.  Now I'm not going to say this was a huge miss by the Indians, but it was a miss.  5 million a year for a guy with a career ISO over .200 and a career wRC+ of 110 is a bargain.  IMHO his career WAR is so low because he's not a good fielder and was forced to play the field when he was in the NL.  Put him at DH, and his UZR improves drastically (the defensive part of the WAR equation) therefore his overall WAR improves drastically.  Again not saying it's a huge miss, but Gomes is a guy who could have helped this offense a great deal if used primarily as a DH with only spot starts in the field.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 10:22 AM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 



jason251213 wrote: So what if its a new thread, not like there is any excitement on here anyways.

He is better then anything we have right now to put in LF.

Bet if we did sign him, you all would have been ecstatic.

I would be happy if they signed him to a contract a fraction of what he signed for.  Ecstatic? Never, especially at this price.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/22/2012 12:37 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


2/6 would have been a good deal for gomes. he's pretty much a platoon DH.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 5:04 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


I'm thinking the window for being aggressive in the early market for players you've targeted (Gomes not being one of them) has officially closed with this signing. Two years and 10M? Ouch! This isn't a good sign for the Indians.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/22/2012 6:08 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 



greggleeb wrote:
casper18837 wrote:
jason251213 wrote: So what if its a new thread, not like there is any excitement on here anyways.

He is better then anything we have right now to put in LF.

Bet if we did sign him, you all would have been ecstatic.
No, I wouldn't have been ecstatic, I want somebody that the Indians can play  everyday!!! Shane Victorino or BJ Upton would be my top choices that the tribe might be able to afford! Bay would be nice if we can get him cheap enough, but I wouldn't overspend for Bay;because he could continue to hit below the Mendoza line... My dream would be Josh Hamilton but that's just a bad dream that wouldn't allow the tribe to sign the pitching they need for next year...
Ni, it's a bad dream because the Indians won't shell out half the money Hamilton gets for one year on all the FA's they sign for 2013. 
Exactly.  Signing Bay to a minor league deal is possible. Thinking this org. is going to sign a sought after FA is wasted thinking.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 9:03 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


97% of the players in MLB will be playing for teams other than the Indians. Let's not freak out about every signing.

As for Jonny Gomes, the Indians have Yan Gomes and Russ Canzler. Will either of them be as good as Jonny Gomes? Probably not. But I would rather save the 10 million and take the gamble.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/22/2012 9:11 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Yan Gomes will have a break out year and be an everyday player! I don't usually make predictions, but he was blocked by the Jays. He won't be a superstar, but he's going to make the 2013 Indians a better team...
Lando12 wrote: 97% of the players in MLB will be playing for teams other than the Indians. Let's not freak out about every signing.

As for Jonny Gomes, the Indians have Yan Gomes and Russ Canzler. Will either of them be as good as Jonny Gomes? Probably not. But I would rather save the 10 million and take the gamble.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/23/2012 7:54 AM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


The only way this will happen is if Santana is moved to 1st base full-time.

I say this due to the fact that even though Yan can play several positions Antonetti stated they view him as a Catcher only after the deal so I could see him unseating Marson out of spring training but that will be it unless Santana moves to 1st which could be what happens.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/26/2012 2:15 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 


What I don't get is why people in these boards worry about Dolan's money. Not like he will spend anyways.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/26/2012 2:21 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 



jason251213 wrote: What I don't get is why people in these boards worry about Dolan's money. Not like he will spend anyways.

Most of the people on these boards like the conversation about what should/will happen to this team to be grounded in reality. Nobody could care less about the personal financial situation of the owner.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/26/2012 3:04 PM

Re: Gomes to BoSox 


WE ARE SICK OF A CHEAP OWNER THAT DOES'NT PUT A DECENT PRODUCT OUT FOR THE FANS YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   AMEN
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/26/2012 3:22 PM

RE: Gomes to BoSox 



MrBananaGrabber85 wrote:
jason251213 wrote: What I don't get is why people in these boards worry about Dolan's money. Not like he will spend anyways.

Most of the people on these boards like the conversation about what should/will happen to this team to be grounded in reality. Nobody could care less about the personal financial situation of the owner.
I don't know much about Mr. Dolan's financial situation, but I can make a couple of educated guesses:

1. He's not a billionaire (not on the Forbes list of billionaires, although the list does have Charles Dolan AND FAMILY, so who knows what that really means), but you can bet his net worth is in the high hundreds of millions.

2. He gets a free handout from MLB each year that can be worth anything from 50 million bucks on up to near 80 million.

In other words Larry Dolan's financial situation is just fine; this team is MAKING money (according to Forbes team valuations at least) despite it being one of the worst teams in baseball not only in terms of record, but in terms of attendance. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I think Dolan could easily have a team payroll of 80 million or so and his financial situation would still be just fine.  What I don't appreciate is you giving the indication that Dolan is somehow losing money and that we should feel sorry for him (which is the impression I get at least from the part of your post that I highlighted), when that honestly can't be true when the entity that he owns is making money.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >