Posted: 1/22/2013 12:39 PM
cincykid wrote: ^^^^ That a second here, here here. 19 already above avg lefty stuff. Got a Question? Is there a limit now, to the number of FA latin kids teams can sign? Off the top that is....
Posted: 1/22/2013 12:59 PM
Posted: 1/22/2013 1:39 PM
Scott Rolen hasn't made up his mind about retirement.
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:55 PM
Mark Sheldon is reporting that the Reds have signed reliever Logan Ondrusek to a two-year contract, avoiding arbitration. No report of the terms of the deal.
Ondru the Giant seems like a great guy. I’m not sure I’d have been very urgent to sign him to a multi-year contract. To be frank, Ondrusek wasn’t very good last year, despite the fact that the Reds felt the need to use him in a ton of late-game situations.
He isn’t awful, and I don’t mind having him around as the last guy in the bullpen, but with Aroldis Chapman headed to the rotation, I am mildly concerned that we’ll see Ondrusek in too many eighth innings for my taste.
I forgot to mention it earlier, but seven Reds have filed for arbitration. Mark Sheldon has the list; some of those guys are probably due for substantial salary increases. It’ll be interesting to see if GM Walt Jocketty makes a big push to sign guys like Homer Bailey and Mat Latos to long(ish)-term deals before the arbitration hearing.
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:56 PM
OhioRaiderNation wrote: cincykid wrote: ^^^^ That a second here, here here. 19 already above avg lefty stuff. Got a Question? Is there a limit now, to the number of FA latin kids teams can sign? Off the top that is....There is no change this offseason, but after this offseason, there will be an "International Signing Pool" much like the draft bonus pool based on your record. So, no limit to the number of players signed, just a limit on the amount spent
Posted: 1/22/2013 7:24 PM
Cincinnati Enquirer — Last year, the Reds' five remaining returning arbitration-eligible players made a total of $2,534,500. This year, they could make a much as $16.7 million.
Reds Insider | Cincinnati Enquirer — I was off yesterday when the arbitration numbers were exchanged (made a quick trip to the Horseshoe Casino in Indiana to lose some money, then spent yesterday in Louisville. The Louisville Slugger tour is worth it, by the way). Anyway here are the arbitration numbers (they are going to push the payroll up considerably): Last ...
Posted: 1/23/2013 11:47 AM
OhioRaiderNation wrote: http://www.baseballamerica.com...nte-for-730000/Another Dominican Left hander? Yes, please
Posted: 1/23/2013 11:49 AM
OhioRaiderNation wrote: Getting that rotation depth boys...http://hardballtalk.nbcsports....eague-contract/Armando Gallaraga signed to a minor league deal
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:50 PM
Cincinnati Enquirer — Bud Selig did not award Cincinnati the 2015 All-Star game because of the Reds' recent success, but the baseball commissioner knows a good organization when he sees one.
Reds Insider | Cincinnati Enquirer — Franchise player Joey Votto should be ready to go for spring training, Reds GM Walt Jocketty said Thursday. The first baseman was slow to recover from two knee surgeries in 2012, when two knee surgeries led to him missing 48 games. “Everything as far as we know is good,” Jocketty said. Matt Krause, the Reds’ ...
Reds Insider | Cincinnati Enquirer — Reds top prospect Billy Hamilton will start the year at Triple-A Louisville and play every day in center field, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Thursday. Jocketty, speaking before the annual Reds caravan rolled away from Great American Ball Park, indicated that Hamilton will probably spend most if not all of 2013 at Louisville. “He’ll ...
Reds Insider | Cincinnati Enquirer — Get the latest updates from the Reds Caravan, which takes off Thursday at 9 a.m. from Great American Ball Park. Reds Caravan updates
Cincinnati Enquirer — Reds fans already knew but Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig made it official: the All-Star Game will be in Cincinnati in 2015. "It's a really profound way to celebrate our sport's eldest franchise," Selig said.
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:54 PM
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:19 AM
ROLEN DECISION: The Reds still don’t know whether third baseman Scott Rolen will retire. Rolen, who will turn 38 on April 4, is mulling whether to play another year.
“We hope to get it resolved this week,” Jocketty said.
Reds manager Dusty Baker said the decision is never easy.
“The hardest thing is when to say goodbye,” Baker said. “It’s the hardest thing a pro ballplayer has to do. When are you going to call it quits, and how much time do you have left in the tank?”
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:23 AM
Last edited 1/25/2013 10:27 AM by cincykid
Posted: 1/25/2013 11:42 PM
cincinnati (ap) - billy hamilton is ready to show the major leagues that he can steal a base anywhere.
the reds have invited the 22-year-old outfielder with freakish speed to spring training, giving him a chance to see firsthand what it's like to take off running with a major league pitcher and catcher trying to keep him from taking the next base.
hamilton set a professional record with 155 steals last season, which he split between single-a and double-a. the reds plan to start him at triple-a louisville this season, giving him time to develop his bunting and adapt to his new position in center field.
first, he'll get a chance to attend camp in arizona as a non-roster invitee. he played in a few spring games last year, but will get a more regular test this time.
can he steal off these guys?
"people say once you move up, it's going to be harder," hamilton said thursday, before boarding a bus as part of the team's annual winter caravan to nearby cities. "but my confidence takes me a long way, not just in baseball. I feel if I get there and have the same confidence, I'll be good. I'm looking forward to it, to seeing what the outcome is."
a lot of fans are aching to see what happens when he finally makes it to cincinnati.
reds fans were enticed by speed when lanky left-handed pitcher aroldis chapman started his career in the minors and hit 105 mph on radar guns with his fastball. he reached the big leagues in 2010 and hit 105 mph again.
the diminutive hamilton seems to run as fast during the 90-foot dash from base to base - only an optical illusion, of course. however, he has already received national attention for circling the bases in a mere 13.8 seconds during an inside-the-park homer in the minors - the video quickly became a hit on youtube.
at that speed, he compares favorably to some of the fastest players in the majors.
the reds' challenge is getting him ready to run the bases in the big leagues. they've moved him from shortstop to center field - youngster zack cozart has shortstop locked up for the foreseeable future. they traded center fielder drew stubbs to the indians in the offseason and received 30-year-old outfielder shin-soo choo, who will play center and bat leadoff this season, his last under contract.
the way is clear for hamilton to take over the spot either late this season or in 2014, depending upon how quickly he develops at triple-a. the reds sent him to the arizona fall league after last season to continue his progression.
"He's probably going to end up bunting a lot," general manager Walt Jocketty said on Thursday. "With his speed, we saw him get a lot of hits that way in the fall league. Bunting and running are his two key tools."
hamilton's speed brought him a major career choice in high school at taylorsville, miss. he was offered a football scholarship to Mississippi State - he played receiver and returned punts - but decided to pursue baseball in part because his mother, Polly, thought it better suited his 6-foot-tall, 160-pound frame.
"It was a real tough decision," Hamilton said. "I sat down with my family. My mom didn't want me to get hit so much. She liked me taking the baseball route. I'm glad I took that route. It's working out good for me."
At first, he stole bases solely on his speed. Reds coaches, including former star center fielder Eric Davis, have been teaching him how to read pitchers' moves, which will come in handy as he moves up to higher skill levels.
"His main thing was: Don't be afraid," Hamilton said. "Always have that feel that you can't be thrown out. Always be aggressive."
Teams started pitching out when he reached base last season, but it didn't matter very much.
"They threw over (to first base) a lot," Hamilton said. "They pitched out a lot. It makes me mad, kind of, when I'm running and they pitch out. But it's their job. It's respect."
He got a lot of respect last year when he topped Vince Coleman's professional record of 145 steals in the minors during the 1983 season. Hamilton would switch his white batting gloves for gray sliding gloves as soon as he reached base, getting ready to take off.
Unlike Willie Mays Hayes, who would tack his gloves to the wall after each successful swipe in the movie "Major League," Hamilton kept no mementos from his record-setting season, which will be daunting to top.
"It's going to be tough to do," Hamilton said. "Just get out there and play my game and see where everything falls."
Posted: 1/25/2013 11:44 PM
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:09 PM
Ryan Ludwick, OF, Reds
Like Jones, Ludwick experienced a bit of a re-birth in 2012 after a couple down seasons. Also like Jones, Ludwick isn’t likely to repeat his performance. The 34-year-old last year had easily his best season since his breakout showing in 2008, as he batted .275/.346/.531 with 26 dingers and 80 RBI. Ludwick was the beneficiary of an 18.4% HR/FB rate, which was well above his career 13.2% mark, and his numbers were buoyed by an insane hot streak in July and August that saw him bat .329/.389/.642 with 14 homers and 38 RBI. We can’t count on his HR/FB rate repeating, nor can we count on another mid-season rampage where Ludwick turns into Miguel Cabrera. There’s also the possibility of the Reds abandoning the Shin-Soo Choo center field experiment, which would put Choo at a corner spot and Ludwick on the bench. There’s just not much mixed league appeal here.
Jonathan Broxton, RP, Reds
Broxton pitched well for the Reds down the stretch last year after they acquired him from the Royals, posting a 2.82 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and 20/3 K/BB ratio over 22 1/3 innings. That was apparently enough for Cincy to give the hulking right-hander a three-year deal over the winter, handing him the closer job while sending Aroldis Chapman to the rotation. There are certainly warning flags attached to Broxton in 2013, though. The 28-year-old had just a 7.0 K/9 rate in 2012, which is disturbing since his previous low-water mark for a full season was 10.5. The drop in strikeout rate no doubt was a result of his declining fastball, which sits in the mid-90s now after occasionally reaching triple digits. Also of concern is the fact that Broxton will be pitching in a hitter-friendly home park over a full season for the first time in his career. If Broxton’s improved walk rate (2.6 BB/9 in 2012, 3.6 BB/9 in his career) sticks and the late-season development of a cutter continues to work for him, it’s possible the righty can get by with diminished stuff. We can’t count on either happening, though.
Posted: 1/31/2013 12:00 PM
According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, free agent Scott Rolen "wants to play."
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:47 PM
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com | 1/31/2013 11:47 A.M. ET
CINNATI -- The Reds and outfielder Chris Heisey avoided arbitration on Thursday, when he was signed to a one-year, $1.325 million contract.
Another arbitration-eligible player, reliever Alfredo Simon, also agreed to terms on a one-year contract, with terms undisclosed.
A Super Two player who had enough service time to be first-time eligible for arbitration, the 28-year-old Heisey is getting a hefty raise from the $495,000 he earned last season.
The fourth outfielder on the Reds for most of his three seasons in the Majors, Heisey batted .265 with seven home runs and 31 RBIs over 120 games in 2012. While making 80 starts, he set new career highs in at-bats (347), hits (92), doubles (16) and triples (5). His versatility enables him to play all three outfield positions.
Heisey's best season came in 2011, when he hit 18 homers with 50 RBIs, also in 120 games.
Also valuable in the later innings off the bench, Heisey is batting .329 with six homers and 22 RBIs in 76 at-bats lifetime as a pinch-hitter.
Simon, a waiver-wire pickup from the Orioles just before Opening Day of last season, was 3-2 with a 2.66 ERA in 36 games for Cincinnati. In 61 innings, he walked 22 and allowed only two home runs while striking out 52.
Primarily used in long relief, the 31-year-old Simon thrived in his role of entering many games with his team behind and often keeping the opponent within reach. On four occasions, he pitched three innings.
Heisey had filed for $1.65 million, while the Reds countered with $1.05 million. Simon, meanwhile, sought $1.05 million and was offered $750,000.
The Reds have four remaining arbitration-eligible players: outfielder Shin-Soo Choo and right-handers Mat Latos, Homer Bailey and Mike Leake.
Posted: 2/1/2013 9:32 AM
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said "there's a chance" Scott Rolen returns to the team in 2013.
Posted: 2/1/2013 1:55 PM
I spoke with Walt Jocketty a few minutes ago. He just arrived in Arizona (nice timing there with the weather that’s coming). He said he had not talked to Scott Rolen’s agents in the last couple of day. But he confirmed that Rolen is interested in returning.
“I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” he said. “We’re talking about the details — how much opportunity is there.”
If the Reds are committed to Todd Frazier as the starting third baseman, playing time would be limited for Rolen. Money is also likely a factor the Reds are looking at payroll of close to $100 million — $13 million more than last year.
Jocketty said the Reds are continuing to talk to four remaining arbitration-eligible players — Homer Bailey, Mat Latos, Mike Leake and Shin-Soo Choo — about deals. Chris Heisey and Alfredo Simon agreed to one-year deals today.
The Reds had talked to Bailey and Latos about multi-year deals earlier. “But right now, we’re mostly talking about one year,” Jocketty said.
From John Erardi: Regardless of whether Scott Rolen retires, returns to Cincinnati or signs with the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Reds are going into 2013 with arguably one of their better benches since Walt Jocketty became the general manager in 2008. STORY
Posted: 2/1/2013 2:06 PM
Miguel Olivo close to deal with # reds
Copyright © 2013
and Scout.com. All rights reserved. This website is an unofficial independent source of news and information, and is not affiliated with any school, team, or league.
MSN PrivacyLegalAdvertise on MSNAbout our adsRSS
© 2012 Microsoft|