Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 90  Next >

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2

Posted: 12/26/2012 5:21 AM

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2 


I'm not too worried about Mesoraco.  He was a slow starter in the minors before he eventually won Reds minor league player of the year.  He seems to have potential to bring good plate discipline, defense, and some power to the lineup.  Also, it's not that big of a deal to platoon catchers or simply split time between them like we did with Hernandez and Hanigan because the active roster is going to have two spots occupied by catchers anyway.

I agree that Hanigan is very underrated.  He makes up for lack of power with good on-base skills and is solid behind the plate.  Kind of makes me scratch my head how they got him years ago as an undrafted free agent.  The main concern I have with him is durability, but he lasted the entire 2012 while getting more action than in any of his previous seasons. 

Barnhart will turn 22 before opening day.  He did well in high-A but struggled at the plate over the second half of the season at Pensacola.  He projects more as a Hanigan-type, i.e., strong defense, good on-base, not much power.  He's a switch hitter, but right now he's still weak against southpaws.  That's probably not a big problem now because he's still got time to work on it and the two catchers in front of him both bat right-handed.  They got him with a 10th round pick and he probably wouldn't have been available that late if there weren't concerns that he'd take a scholarship offer from Georgia Tech.

I would have like to kept Navarro too, but I didn't expect it.  He had a great year in AAA in 2012 and did well for the Reds after a late season call-up.  It's no surprise that he would want to go somewhere that would be easier to make an opening day roster.  I guess Corky Miller is #3 in the pipeline now and they probably have their eye out for a journeyman that would sign a minor league contract like Navarro did last season. 

They also put Notre Dame catcher Joe Hudson in the pipeline with a 6th round pick in the last draft.  He might hit some homers if he can make it to the top level.

Check out news from the Reds development teams by clicking "Cincinnati Home" beneath the CincyHardball log above. 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/26/2012 8:51 AM

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2 


Yup, I am not writing mes off at all, our picks have all done pretty darn well of late.  I'm sure he was nervous in the service and that should be out of his system by now. Like ya said, he was a slow starter.  We do have some dude named Bench who can work with him, hanigun also.  I am sure he'll improve but was thinking it might be good to let him play everyday in AAA.  We'll see what happens in the spring, I expect to see improvement from him.  Patience I am learning ......see Homer.

Have to check out the ND kid too.  There seem to be a lot of kids to pick at Catcher in June, whether they are there for us is another question but I'd like to infuse some more C's into our system. 
LexRedsFan wrote: I'm not too worried about Mesoraco.  He was a slow starter in the minors before he eventually won Reds minor league player of the year.  He seems to have potential to bring good plate discipline, defense, and some power to the lineup.  Also, it's not that big of a deal to platoon catchers or simply split time between them like we did with Hernandez and Hanigan because the active roster is going to have two spots occupied by catchers anyway.

I agree that Hanigan is very underrated.  He makes up for lack of power with good on-base skills and is solid behind the plate.  Kind of makes me scratch my head how they got him years ago as an undrafted free agent.  The main concern I have with him is durability, but he lasted the entire 2012 while getting more action than in any of his previous seasons. 

Barnhart will turn 22 before opening day.  He did well in high-A but struggled at the plate over the second half of the season at Pensacola.  He projects more as a Hanigan-type, i.e., strong defense, good on-base, not much power.  He's a switch hitter, but right now he's still weak against southpaws.  That's probably not a big problem now because he's still got time to work on it and the two catchers in front of him both bat right-handed.  They got him with a 10th round pick and he probably wouldn't have been available that late if there weren't concerns that he'd take a scholarship offer from Georgia Tech.

I would have like to kept Navarro too, but I didn't expect it.  He had a great year in AAA in 2012 and did well for the Reds after a late season call-up.  It's no surprise that he would want to go somewhere that would be easier to make an opening day roster.  I guess Corky Miller is #3 in the pipeline now and they probably have their eye out for a journeyman that would sign a minor league contract like Navarro did last season. 

They also put Notre Dame catcher Joe Hudson in the pipeline with a 6th round pick in the last draft.  He might hit some homers if he can make it to the top level.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/2/2013 11:02 PM

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2 


Reds done with major moves this offseason

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com | 01/02/13 10:36 PM ET
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com...in&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- Having checked off all of their offseason needs in rapid fashion in late November and December, the Reds are poised to keep more additions to a minimum in the final weeks of the Hot Stove season.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty re-signed closer Jonathan Broxton and outfielder Ryan Ludwick, traded for center fielder Shin-Soo Choo and signed infielder Jack Hannahan as a free agent. His primary focus this month will be trying to sign his own players that are eligible for arbitration.

"The only thing we could possibly need is another left-handed reliever, but it's not critical," Jocketty said Wednesday from his winter home in Phoenix. "Our right-handed relievers have done well versus left-handed hitters."

Cincinnati currently has one established left-hander in its bullpen in Sean Marshall. Another lefty, Aroldis Chapman, is expected to shift from closer to compete for a rotation spot in Spring Training.

The free-agent market is not flush with southpaws, especially after the Brewers closed deals with two of them in recent days -- Mike Gonzalez and Tom Gorzelanny. The Reds were reportedly interested in Gonzalez, who has agreed to a one-year contract worth $2.25 million plus incentives, according to reports.

Other names that remain on the market are Manny Parra, Rich Hill, J.C. Romero and Pedro Feliciano.

A glance at the numbers show that Jocketty was correct about his right-handed relievers. All of them had better success versus lefties compared to righties last season -- including Jose Arredondo (.277 vs. righties, .165 vs. lefties), Sam LeCure (.232 vs. righties, .208 vs. lefties), J.J. Hoover (.196 vs. righties, .120 vs. lefties), Logan Ondrusek (.285 vs. righties, .190 vs. lefties) and Alfredo Simon (.283 vs. righties, .267 vs. lefties).

Top left-handed pitching prospectTony Cingrani is not currently being viewed as a bullpen candidate.

"He could do that, but we would prefer him to start at Triple-A," Jocketty said. "We want to have starting pitching depth. He's capable of relieving, but it's not in his best long-term interests. If it becomes in the best interests of the club, maybe it's something we could look at in Spring Training."

Jocketty has never been shy about combing for late-winter bargains as prices come down. Late last month, the team re-signed veteran catcher Corky Miller for depth at Triple-A Louisville. Other catchers still on the market are seeking big league contracts, while the Reds only want to offer Minor League deals.

There is still interest from the Reds in retaining free-agent third baseman Scott Rolen for a supporting role, but Rolen, who turns 38 in April, still hasn't decided whether he will retire.

"We could possibly improve our bench, but I like the makeup of our bench now," Jocketty said. "Other than that, we're pretty well set. We never stop trying to improve the club, but at some point you look to make do with what you've got."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/3/2013 11:45 AM

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2 


Scott Rolen has been in "periodic contact" with Reds GM Walt Jocketty, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.

"We spoke before the holidays," Jocketty confirmed. "He hasn’t decided (on retirement). It could be another week to 10 days." Rolen is 37 years old and hit .245/.318/.398 during the 2012 regular season. But he apparently has some drive to continue his playing career and the Reds apparently have some interest in bringing him back.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/3/2013 6:34 PM

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2 



YearOfTheHusky wrote:

Scott Rolen has been in "periodic contact" with Reds GM Walt Jocketty, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.

"We spoke before the holidays," Jocketty confirmed. "He hasn’t decided (on retirement). It could be another week to 10 days." Rolen is 37 years old and hit .245/.318/.398 during the 2012 regular season. But he apparently has some drive to continue his playing career and the Reds apparently have some interest in bringing him back.

poo
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/3/2013 9:15 PM

Re: 2012 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In #2 


lol  uhhh don't see rowland coming back this year, maybe next year?  I dunno.
TauBag94 wrote:
YearOfTheHusky wrote:

Scott Rolen has been in "periodic contact" with Reds GM Walt Jocketty, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.

"We spoke before the holidays," Jocketty confirmed. "He hasn’t decided (on retirement). It could be another week to 10 days." Rolen is 37 years old and hit .245/.318/.398 during the 2012 regular season. But he apparently has some drive to continue his playing career and the Reds apparently have some interest in bringing him back.

poo
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/4/2013 12:37 AM

Re: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Is it spring yet?  where's the ground hog?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/4/2013 12:51 AM

Re: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Pitchers represent two of club's seven remaining arbitration-eligible players

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com | 01/03/13  2:23 PM ET


 

CINCINNATI -- The holidays are now over, so 'tis really the season for younger arbitration-eligible Major League players to add some zeros to their paychecks.

The Reds are starting to focus their attention toward signing their remaining arbitration-eligible players -- pitchers Homer Bailey, Mat Latos, Mike Leake, Logan Ondrusek and Alfredo Simon and outfielders Chris Heisey and Shin-Soo Choo -- before ever getting close to a hearing.

"We've talked to a couple of them," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "Nothing has gotten really serious yet. With it having been Christmas, and a couple of guys were on vacations, we didn't expect to get going until after the holidays."

Reds' arbitration-eligibles
Player             '12 salary    Arb. eligibility
Bailey    $2.4M   Second year
Choo$4.9MThird year
Heisey     $495,000       First
(Super Two)
Latos     $550,000       First
Leake     $507,000       First
Ondrusek  $492,000       First
(Super Two)
Simon     $487,000       First

Like ace Johnny Cueto, who was signed to a four-year, $27 million deal before the 2011 season, the Reds wouldn't mind locking up the power arms of Latos and Bailey with multiyear contracts.

"We've discussed that," Jocketty said. "We're taking a look to see if it works. If not, we'll go year to year. We'd prefer something long term eventually."

The 25-year-old Latos was 14-4 with a 3.48 ERA over his career-high 33 starts that also tied for the National League lead. His 209 1/3 innings were also a career high, and he threw two complete games.

Latos, who earned $550,000 in 2012 and is represented by the Bledsoe Brothers agency, is eligible for arbitration for the first time. He was the Reds' biggest acquisition of the previous winter, when he came over in a trade with the Padres for Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal and Brad Boxberger.

This will be Bailey's second experience with the arbitration process after he avoided the hearing last year by signing a one-year, $2.4 million contract.

Bailey, 26, was 13-10 with a 3.68 ERA and also made 33 starts in 2012. After a checkered beginning to his big league career, he established highs last season in wins, innings (208), starts, strikeouts (168) and quality starts (21) and led the NL with a 2.32 road ERA.

On Sept. 28, Bailey made history by throwing the first no-hitter of his career against the Pirates. He is represented by the Hendricks Brothers.

The deadline for clubs and arbitration-eligible players to exchange figures is Jan. 18, and the period for hearings is slated from Feb. 4-20. The Reds have not been pitted in a hearing against a player since winning a case over reliever Chris Reitsma in 2004.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2013 9:49 PM

Re: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Scott Rolen still hasn't decided on retirement.

Rolen turns 38 years old in April and registered a weak .698 OPS over the last two seasons in Cincinnati, but the Reds have expressed some amount of openness to bringing him back and the free agent third baseman has yet to officially close any doors on his playing career. John Fay, who is the Reds beat writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer, thinks that Rolen will ultimately call it quits. But Rolen hasn't spoken to the media all offseason.
Jan 15 - 4:29 PM

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers have evaluated Scott Rolen as a possible target.

Rolen still isn't sure if he'll play in 2013 or retire, but if he does decide to come back, there apparently will at least be a little bit of a market for him. The Reds have also expressed interested in bringing him back, but Rolen would have a better shot at playing time in L.A. The Dodgers are currently slated to go with Luis Cruz at third base in 2013.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2013 10:57 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


If the Dodgers, with all that freaking money spent, end up relying on Rolen and Luis Cruz at 3b next yr then wow, just wow.


2013 needs to be a Reds year. Make or break time for Dusty, at a minimum. World Series or bust, amigos
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2013 11:42 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Ya that shocked me from LA too.

Looking at the roster we are set up but was thinking about cingrani. If broxton stumbles I would see how cingrani does closing. Don't expect it to happen but right now without a good 3rd pitch cingrani is perfect to close should it become necessary. I don't see him going to AAA with the live arm he has throwing pitches that miss a lot of bats. If he's going to start, they will develop that curve up here imo. Otherwise, he looks to me the closer in waiting. I hope he can toss some 7th inning and get some long work also. Would prefer him as a starter but I want his arm up here and the pen is all there is for him currently. That pen is going to be nasty once again and in the future.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2013 11:43 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Is Dusty a make or break manager? I sure hope he pushes the pedal and constructs a lineup that plays to our team's strengths.

BlackPeteIbold wrote: If the Dodgers, with all that freaking money spent, end up relying on Rolen and Luis Cruz at 3b next yr then wow, just wow.


2013 needs to be a Reds year. Make or break time for Dusty, at a minimum. World Series or bust, amigos

“I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.”
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 8:50 AM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Welcome to the board, from the board shoehater.  We hope he does.  Harder to dustyize the lineup this year, least that's sentiment here.
shoehater wrote: Is Dusty a make or break manager? I sure hope he pushes the pedal and constructs a lineup that plays to our team's strengths.

BlackPeteIbold wrote: If the Dodgers, with all that freaking money spent, end up relying on Rolen and Luis Cruz at 3b next yr then wow, just wow.


2013 needs to be a Reds year. Make or break time for Dusty, at a minimum. World Series or bust, amigos
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/16/2013 9:41 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 




---------------------------------------------
--- BlackPeteIbold wrote:

If the Dodgers, with all that freaking money spent, end up relying on Rolen and Luis Cruz at 3b next yr then wow, just wow.


2013 needs to be a Reds year. Make or break time for Dusty, at a minimum. World Series or bust, amigos

---------------------------------------------

Really....

Think Washington will have something to say about it....
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 10:40 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 



gsnuts wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- BlackPeteIbold wrote:

If the Dodgers, with all that freaking money spent, end up relying on Rolen and Luis Cruz at 3b next yr then wow, just wow.


2013 needs to be a Reds year. Make or break time for Dusty, at a minimum. World Series or bust, amigos

---------------------------------------------

Really....

Think Washington will have something to say about it....

True dat, as the young uns say.

But saw another article today that proclaimed Reds set up so well, if they don't win or at least get to a WS by 2020 it will be a surprising disappointment.

2013 is time to at least make a good run at it.  ****, lets just win a friggin home game at GABP and it will be a first in memory for Reds fans 25 and under
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 11:08 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Ya I remember seeing some articles imply the same.......like, set up that damn well there is no reason to fail to go deep into the playoffs, o course baring serious inj, anything else is a failure.  Guess who'd fail?  or is it Fall?   More than the playoffs are set up I guess.
BlackPeteIbold wrote:
gsnuts wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- BlackPeteIbold wrote:

If the Dodgers, with all that freaking money spent, end up relying on Rolen and Luis Cruz at 3b next yr then wow, just wow.


2013 needs to be a Reds year. Make or break time for Dusty, at a minimum. World Series or bust, amigos

---------------------------------------------

Really....

Think Washington will have something to say about it....

True dat, as the young uns say.

But saw another article today that proclaimed Reds set up so well, if they don't win or at least get to a WS by 2020 it will be a surprising disappointment.

2013 is time to at least make a good run at it.  ****, lets just win a friggin home game at GABP and it will be a first in memory for Reds fans 25 and under

Last edited 1/16/2013 11:13 PM by cincykid

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 9:55 AM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


I just want to get to the World Series. If we don't, then no worse than a 7 game NLCS. Anything less than that is a disappointing season. Failed season? No. Lower than expectations? Yes.

And Dusty isn't even remotely on the brink. I've certainly had my doubts with the way he runs things, but 2 out of 3 years in the playoffs after missing it 15 years in a row says something. Yeah, his team has more overall talent than past teams, but why change something with this much potential? Keeping Dusty around makes the players happier since he's a players manager, which likely makes them perform better. Plus, with the lineup we have this year, everything is pretty set and stone, so he can't really screw it up! ;)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/22/2013 9:44 AM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


http://www.baseballamerica.com...nte-for-730000/

Another Dominican Left hander?  Yes, please
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/22/2013 10:35 AM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


^^^^  That a second here, here here.  19 already above avg lefty stuff. 

Got a Question?  Is there a limit now, to the number of FA latin kids teams can sign?  Off the top that is....

Last edited 1/22/2013 10:36 AM by cincykid

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/22/2013 12:35 PM

RE: 2012/2013 Red's Rumors / Roster Moves ........Going All In 


Getting that rotation depth boys...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports....eague-contract/

Armando Gallaraga signed to a minor league deal
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 90  Next >