Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Javier Baez

  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/12/2012 1:57 PM

Javier Baez 


He was supposedly overdrafted. Looks like that may turn out false. Kid excites me no doubt:

http://sulia.com/channel/baseb...?source=twitter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2012 5:52 PM

Re: Javier Baez 


I'm not so sure he was considered overdrafted.  Maybe a few spots but nothing considerable.
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/13/2012 6:29 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



SPOONER wrote: I'm not so sure he was considered overdrafted.  Maybe a few spots but nothing considerable.
We were criticized for taking him that high. He was pegged for at best mid-first-round and many had him late-first-round.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 6:52 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



RAMBLE wrote:
SPOONER wrote: I'm not so sure he was considered overdrafted.  Maybe a few spots but nothing considerable.
We were criticized for taking him that high. He was pegged for at best mid-first-round and many had him late-first-round.
I feel like you are distorting what actually happened.  Baez was suspected to go a few picks lower, but most of that had to do with experts thinking teams would ignore the injury concerns with Rendon and lack of competition for Barnes.  Both guys fell and Baez fit in, but I can see people looking back and seeing Baez going slightly earlier than predicted.  The second part makes no sense.  I did not see a single reputed opinion of someone that lambasted the Cubs for picking Baez when they did.


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/13/2012 7:08 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



mhuml32 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote:
SPOONER wrote: I'm not so sure he was considered overdrafted.  Maybe a few spots but nothing considerable.
We were criticized for taking him that high. He was pegged for at best mid-first-round and many had him late-first-round.
I feel like you are distorting what actually happened.  Baez was suspected to go a few picks lower, but most of that had to do with experts thinking teams would ignore the injury concerns with Rendon and lack of competition for Barnes.  Both guys fell and Baez fit in, but I can see people looking back and seeing Baez going slightly earlier than predicted.  The second part makes no sense.  I did not see a single reputed opinion of someone that lambasted the Cubs for picking Baez when they did.
MLB TV covering the draft did.
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/13/2012 7:32 PM

Re: Javier Baez 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2012 9:22 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



RAMBLE wrote: Here's a few for your reading pleasure:

http://www.prospectjunkies.com...k-draft-10.html 

http://www.rantsports.com/mock...b-draft-grades/

 

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...op-mlb-prospect

 

 

http://baseballnewshound.com/?page_id=765

 

http://www.mlbprospectportal.c...-prospects.html

I have never heard of any of these sites, which is why I said reputed in my original posts.  Would you put money down on any of these sites for their accuracy?
Here are a few great choices from these links:
Prospect Junkies: You linked their January mock draft.  Their "final" mock draft had Baez projected to go 17th, which pretty much backs up my statement that Baez was taken slightly earlier than he was projected. This mock also did pretty horrendous after the 6th pick.

Rant Sports: Had Bauer, Bundy, and Bradley outside of their top 10. I stopped reading after that.

Bleacher Report: Their final mock draft also has Baez 17th, which you didn't link.  Your link shows that he is a risky pick, which is understandable considering he has a violent swing and he is a high school position player.

Baseball News Hound: Had Baez going 14th.  Also had Alex Meyer getting picked twice in the first round by two different teams.  Stop reading after that.

MLB Prospect Portal: All of their scouting reports are just links to the MLB draft page.


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/13/2012 9:57 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



mhuml32 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote: Here's a few for your reading pleasure:

http://www.prospectjunkies.com...k-draft-10.html 

http://www.rantsports.com/mock...b-draft-grades/

 

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...op-mlb-prospect

 

 

http://baseballnewshound.com/?page_id=765

 

http://www.mlbprospectportal.c...-prospects.html

I have never heard of any of these sites, which is why I said reputed in my original posts.  Would you put money down on any of these sites for their accuracy?
Here are a few great choices from these links:
Prospect Junkies: You linked their January mock draft.  Their "final" mock draft had Baez projected to go 17th, which pretty much backs up my statement that Baez was taken slightly earlier than he was projected. This mock also did pretty horrendous after the 6th pick.

Rant Sports: Had Bauer, Bundy, and Bradley outside of their top 10. I stopped reading after that.

Bleacher Report: Their final mock draft also has Baez 17th, which you didn't link.  Your link shows that he is a risky pick, which is understandable considering he has a violent swing and he is a high school position player.

Baseball News Hound: Had Baez going 14th.  Also had Alex Meyer getting picked twice in the first round by two different teams.  Stop reading after that.

MLB Prospect Portal: All of their scouting reports are just links to the MLB draft page.
14th, 17th is mid-first. One of the sites didn't have him at all in Round 1 prospects. And there was the dire warning of his issues among the 5 bust possibles. He was overdrafted. BUT we may well have the last laugh. He's exciting.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/15/2012 7:37 AM

Re: Javier Baez 



RAMBLE wrote:
mhuml32 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote: Here's a few for your reading pleasure:

http://www.prospectjunkies.com...k-draft-10.html 

http://www.rantsports.com/mock...b-draft-grades/

 

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...op-mlb-prospect

 

 

http://baseballnewshound.com/?page_id=765

 

http://www.mlbprospectportal.c...-prospects.html

I have never heard of any of these sites, which is why I said reputed in my original posts.  Would you put money down on any of these sites for their accuracy?
Here are a few great choices from these links:
Prospect Junkies: You linked their January mock draft.  Their "final" mock draft had Baez projected to go 17th, which pretty much backs up my statement that Baez was taken slightly earlier than he was projected. This mock also did pretty horrendous after the 6th pick.

Rant Sports: Had Bauer, Bundy, and Bradley outside of their top 10. I stopped reading after that.

Bleacher Report: Their final mock draft also has Baez 17th, which you didn't link.  Your link shows that he is a risky pick, which is understandable considering he has a violent swing and he is a high school position player.

Baseball News Hound: Had Baez going 14th.  Also had Alex Meyer getting picked twice in the first round by two different teams.  Stop reading after that.

MLB Prospect Portal: All of their scouting reports are just links to the MLB draft page.
14th, 17th is mid-first. One of the sites didn't have him at all in Round 1 prospects. And there was the dire warning of his issues among the 5 bust possibles. He was overdrafted. BUT we may well have the last laugh. He's exciting.
Alright well I understand that point.  The other point is you say the Cubs were chastised for picking him, any links for that?


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/15/2012 10:16 AM

Re: Javier Baez 


Ramble - many sites had Baez as a mid 1st round pick but other support your original post that he was a bit of a reach. It is tough to draft high school kids and see them reach their potential.

Rivals at time of draft -
The Pick: Javier Baez, SS. 
The Buzz: The Cubs have made some reach picks in recent drafts and this one adds to the list. Baez, by himself, is a solid draft pick - he has a good bat and, while listed at shortstop, will have to work on his defense and move to third base. However, taking him inside the Top 10 was questionable. It is pretty clear the organization fell in love with the player and went way off the board grabbing him. Many had Baez on the fringe of the first round, if not lower.
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/15/2012 10:31 AM

Re: Javier Baez 



cubs2007 wrote: Ramble - many sites had Baez as a mid 1st round pick but other support your original post that he was a bit of a reach. It is tough to draft high school kids and see them reach their potential.

Rivals at time of draft -
The Pick: Javier Baez, SS. 
The Buzz: The Cubs have made some reach picks in recent drafts and this one adds to the list. Baez, by himself, is a solid draft pick - he has a good bat and, while listed at shortstop, will have to work on his defense and move to third base. However, taking him inside the Top 10 was questionable. It is pretty clear the organization fell in love with the player and went way off the board grabbing him. Many had Baez on the fringe of the first round, if not lower.
Listen, I love the pick and the kid. Was just recalling the draft.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/15/2012 10:45 AM

Re: Javier Baez 



RAMBLE wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: Ramble - many sites had Baez as a mid 1st round pick but other support your original post that he was a bit of a reach. It is tough to draft high school kids and see them reach their potential.

Rivals at time of draft -
The Pick: Javier Baez, SS. 
The Buzz: The Cubs have made some reach picks in recent drafts and this one adds to the list. Baez, by himself, is a solid draft pick - he has a good bat and, while listed at shortstop, will have to work on his defense and move to third base. However, taking him inside the Top 10 was questionable. It is pretty clear the organization fell in love with the player and went way off the board grabbing him. Many had Baez on the fringe of the first round, if not lower.
Listen, I love the pick and the kid. Was just recalling the draft.
I'm with you - It is entertaining when you read grades on a draft hours after they happen. I would like to see grades on the draft maybe 4 years later.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/15/2012 11:42 AM

Re: Javier Baez 


That draft thread is still buried in the archives here.  Unfortunately, it contains a rather petulant little rant from myself about taking Baez over Taylor Jungmann.  Can't wait until that one gets expunged from the record.  tongue
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/15/2012 2:09 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: Ramble - many sites had Baez as a mid 1st round pick but other support your original post that he was a bit of a reach. It is tough to draft high school kids and see them reach their potential.

Rivals at time of draft -
The Pick: Javier Baez, SS. 
The Buzz: The Cubs have made some reach picks in recent drafts and this one adds to the list. Baez, by himself, is a solid draft pick - he has a good bat and, while listed at shortstop, will have to work on his defense and move to third base. However, taking him inside the Top 10 was questionable. It is pretty clear the organization fell in love with the player and went way off the board grabbing him. Many had Baez on the fringe of the first round, if not lower.
Listen, I love the pick and the kid. Was just recalling the draft.
I'm with you - It is entertaining when you read grades on a draft hours after they happen. I would like to see grades on the draft maybe 4 years later.
Good point.  I brought a question to BaseballAmerica a while back about judging a draft 4 years after it happened and I would love if they picked it up annually.


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/18/2012 5:56 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



RAMBLE wrote:
SPOONER wrote: I'm not so sure he was considered overdrafted.  Maybe a few spots but nothing considerable.
We were criticized for taking him that high. He was pegged for at best mid-first-round and many had him late-first-round.
ummm Mike Trout was drafted late First Round these scouts miss on MLB talent all the time
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/18/2012 7:04 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



Sixtimeworldchamps wrote:
RAMBLE wrote:
SPOONER wrote: I'm not so sure he was considered overdrafted.  Maybe a few spots but nothing considerable.
We were criticized for taking him that high. He was pegged for at best mid-first-round and many had him late-first-round.
ummm Mike Trout was drafted late First Round these scouts miss on MLB talent all the time
But, the point is a team more often gets in trouble by taking a Hayden Simpson, when no one else would have.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/18/2012 8:38 PM

Re: Javier Baez 



cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: Ramble - many sites had Baez as a mid 1st round pick but other support your original post that he was a bit of a reach. It is tough to draft high school kids and see them reach their potential.

Rivals at time of draft -
The Pick: Javier Baez, SS. 
The Buzz: The Cubs have made some reach picks in recent drafts and this one adds to the list. Baez, by himself, is a solid draft pick - he has a good bat and, while listed at shortstop, will have to work on his defense and move to third base. However, taking him inside the Top 10 was questionable. It is pretty clear the organization fell in love with the player and went way off the board grabbing him. Many had Baez on the fringe of the first round, if not lower.
Listen, I love the pick and the kid. Was just recalling the draft.
I'm with you - It is entertaining when you read grades on a draft hours after they happen. I would like to see grades on the draft maybe 4 years later.

I'd love to see posts graded 4 years later.

Baez was widely regarded as the best HS hitter in the draft. I don't recall any eyebrow raising when he went 9th overall. Hindsight will likely show he should have gone higher. Considering all the bad early 1st round picks of the past regime, Theo/Jed should consider the Baez pick a godsend.

Last edited 10/18/2012 9:05 PM by HolyMackeral

Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/18/2012 9:25 PM

Re: Javier Baez 


Hayden Simpson and Baez are not in the same galaxy as far as draft reaches.

Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1741 posts this site

Posted: 10/19/2012 8:12 PM

Re: Javier Baez 


Reply | Quote
  • papa46
  • MVP
  • 744 posts this site

Posted: 10/20/2012 8:48 AM

Re: Javier Baez 


DoubleDown,

The first time I have heard of anyone saying that one of their posts made in the past, turned out to be incorrect.  I have to figure out how to view my old posts to see where I was wrong.  Congrats, I wish you would run for office.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >