Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 12  Next >

Cubs vs Reds

Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 9:16 PM

Cubs vs Reds 


Tuesday: 6:10 p.m., CSN.

LH Travis Wood (7-11, 4.91) vs. RH Johnny Cueto (15-7, 2.20).

Wednesday: 6:10 p.m., CSN.

RH Jacob Turner (4-7, 5.77) vs. TBD.

Thursday: 11:35 a.m., WGN-9.

RH Jake Arrieta (7-4, 2.53) vs. TBD.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 10:20 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


another chance to make a statement...the Reds were getting hammered but woke up mid-series and took the last 2 from the Braves..so we are coming in against a team with renewed confidence...lets see if we can knock them back down.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 10:46 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


Wood vs. Cueto.  LOL... Snapping his long personal winless streak will probably have to wait.

It's Latos and Leake in the other games.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 11:49 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


Maybe Jake can win one Thursday. I don't have much hope for the other 2, sadly.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 11:54 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



JohnLCubs wrote: Maybe Jake can win one Thursday. I don't have much hope for the other 2, sadly.
gotta bring the offense and capitalize on mistakes...its likely the only way...hoping for a quality start from Turner
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 6:18 AM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 11:33 AM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
           He gets on base more than Baez.   Bat him 2nd (he gets more AB and is on base for the meat of the lineup.)  Baez is all or nothing, so put him up when there are men on base, either 5th behind Castro or 6th after Valbuena to go R-L-R.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 11:43 AM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



cubsfaninca wrote:
PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
           He gets on base more than Baez.   Bat him 2nd (he gets more AB and is on base for the meat of the lineup.)  Baez is all or nothing, so put him up when there are men on base, either 5th behind Castro or 6th after Valbuena to go R-L-R.
True but long term he is a middle of the order hitter so is Baez. If anything I like to see them go:

AA
Castro
Rizzo
Baez
Soler
Castillo
Luis V
Whoever is playing left
Pitcher


Get AA & Castro batting at the top of the order again because that is where they are slotted  to be long term.

Last edited 8/26/2014 11:44 AM by PorkChopExpress12

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 11:46 AM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 





---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:


cubsfaninca wrote:
PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
           He gets on base more than Baez.   Bat him 2nd (he gets more AB and is on base for the meat of the lineup.)  Baez is all or nothing, so put him up when there are men on base, either 5th behind Castro or 6th after Valbuena to go R-L-R.
True but long term he is a middle of the order hitter so is Baez. If anything I like to see them go:

AA
Castro
Rizzo
Baez
Soler
Castillo
Luis V
Whoever is playing left
Pitcher


Get AA & Castro batting at the top of the order again because that is where they are slotted  to be long term.

---------------------------------------------

IMHO I believe Castro will be batting about 6th in the long term
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:44 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


I hope the Cubs can work their magic with Turner and get him on track, could be a heck of a deal if he's in the rotation next year and is solid like he SHOULD be.

Koyie Hill fanclub - Member #00000001

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:45 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 





---------------------------------------------
--- mike04gt wrote:

I hope the Cubs can work their magic with Turner and get him on track, could be a heck of a deal if he's in the rotation next year and is solid like he SHOULD be.

---------------------------------------------
I agree and support this post
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:53 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


All of these comments are interesting but I just have to say:

SOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLER and also SOLER!

So glad I got MLB TV when Baez came up.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/26/2014 1:00 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



zighawk73 wrote: All of these comments are interesting but I just have to say:

SOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLER and also SOLER!

So glad I got MLB TV when Baez came up.
I've never had it before.  So is it a pro-rated amount with so little left in the season?  How much?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 1:12 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



flatball8 wrote:
zighawk73 wrote: All of these comments are interesting but I just have to say:

SOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLERSOLER and also SOLER!

So glad I got MLB TV when Baez came up.
I've never had it before.  So is it a pro-rated amount with so little left in the season?  How much?
$12 for rest of season. mlb.com
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 1:19 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



CoachK34 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:


cubsfaninca wrote:
PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
           He gets on base more than Baez.   Bat him 2nd (he gets more AB and is on base for the meat of the lineup.)  Baez is all or nothing, so put him up when there are men on base, either 5th behind Castro or 6th after Valbuena to go R-L-R.
True but long term he is a middle of the order hitter so is Baez. If anything I like to see them go:

AA
Castro
Rizzo
Baez
Soler
Castillo
Luis V
Whoever is playing left
Pitcher


Get AA & Castro batting at the top of the order again because that is where they are slotted  to be long term.

---------------------------------------------

IMHO I believe Castro will be batting about 6th in the long term
If Castro is still around in a couple of years, I see him as a 7 hitter with the other talent they have. I like Soler as a 2/3 as he and Rizzo will get on base the most. I guess if all else fails, Castro could find his way to lead off. That means of course that Russell and AA can't make it there.

If I had to guess what the preferred lineup might look like once Russell is here

1. AA Speed and switch hit
2. Russ   contact, bat control and power
3. Soler high OBP
4. Rizzo high OBP
5. Bryant Power with the walks
6. Beaz Power without the walks
7. Castro bat control. hit for average, but low OBP
8. Catcher 

If AA can't get on base everyone moves up 1 spot and AA bats 8th, or Castro and AA switch spots
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/26/2014 1:38 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



absolutebadger wrote:
1. AA Speed and switch hit
2. Russ   contact, bat control and power
3. Soler high OBP
4. Rizzo high OBP
5. Bryant Power with the walks
6. Beaz Power without the walks
7. Castro bat control. hit for average, but low OBP
8. Catcher 

If AA can't get on base everyone moves up 1 spot and AA bats 8th, or Castro and AA switch spots
http://books.google.com/books?id=FrUYdXKZFZwC&pg=PA121&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Tom Tango wrote the book and works for the Cubs -
According to The Book, a team’s 3 best hitters should bat 1,2, and 4, and the 4th and 5th best hitters 3 and 5. The 1 and 2 batters should be more walk prone than the 4 and 5 hitters. Slots 6 through 9 should feature the remaining hitters in more or less descending order of quality
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 1:58 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



absolutebadger wrote:
CoachK34 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:


cubsfaninca wrote:
PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
           He gets on base more than Baez.   Bat him 2nd (he gets more AB and is on base for the meat of the lineup.)  Baez is all or nothing, so put him up when there are men on base, either 5th behind Castro or 6th after Valbuena to go R-L-R.
True but long term he is a middle of the order hitter so is Baez. If anything I like to see them go:

AA
Castro
Rizzo
Baez
Soler
Castillo
Luis V
Whoever is playing left
Pitcher


Get AA & Castro batting at the top of the order again because that is where they are slotted  to be long term.

---------------------------------------------

IMHO I believe Castro will be batting about 6th in the long term
If Castro is still around in a couple of years, I see him as a 7 hitter with the other talent they have. I like Soler as a 2/3 as he and Rizzo will get on base the most. I guess if all else fails, Castro could find his way to lead off. That means of course that Russell and AA can't make it there.

If I had to guess what the preferred lineup might look like once Russell is here

1. AA Speed and switch hit
2. Russ   contact, bat control and power
3. Soler high OBP
4. Rizzo high OBP
5. Bryant Power with the walks
6. Beaz Power without the walks
7. Castro bat control. hit for average, but low OBP
8. Catcher 

If AA can't get on base everyone moves up 1 spot and AA bats 8th, or Castro and AA switch spots
I agree regarding Castro, though it is possible that Bryant and Soler get flip-flopped.  Also, Alcantara may have to fight for his outfield spot if McKinney and/or Almora work out.  Frankly, I'd still like to see if Bryant can stick at 3B, which would mean one of Castro/Baez/Russell gets dealt, but it does mean there is more room for AA, McKinney, Almora.  The outfield probably has more range if it is two of those three, with Soler in RF.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:32 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 



cubs08 wrote:
absolutebadger wrote:
CoachK34 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:


cubsfaninca wrote:
PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Series just got a whole more interesting with Soler making his MLB debut Wednesday. I say bat him 5th. He is more polished then Baez.
           He gets on base more than Baez.   Bat him 2nd (he gets more AB and is on base for the meat of the lineup.)  Baez is all or nothing, so put him up when there are men on base, either 5th behind Castro or 6th after Valbuena to go R-L-R.
True but long term he is a middle of the order hitter so is Baez. If anything I like to see them go:

AA
Castro
Rizzo
Baez
Soler
Castillo
Luis V
Whoever is playing left
Pitcher


Get AA & Castro batting at the top of the order again because that is where they are slotted  to be long term.

---------------------------------------------

IMHO I believe Castro will be batting about 6th in the long term
If Castro is still around in a couple of years, I see him as a 7 hitter with the other talent they have. I like Soler as a 2/3 as he and Rizzo will get on base the most. I guess if all else fails, Castro could find his way to lead off. That means of course that Russell and AA can't make it there.

If I had to guess what the preferred lineup might look like once Russell is here

1. AA Speed and switch hit
2. Russ   contact, bat control and power
3. Soler high OBP
4. Rizzo high OBP
5. Bryant Power with the walks
6. Beaz Power without the walks
7. Castro bat control. hit for average, but low OBP
8. Catcher 

If AA can't get on base everyone moves up 1 spot and AA bats 8th, or Castro and AA switch spots
I agree regarding Castro, though it is possible that Bryant and Soler get flip-flopped.  Also, Alcantara may have to fight for his outfield spot if McKinney and/or Almora work out.  Frankly, I'd still like to see if Bryant can stick at 3B, which would mean one of Castro/Baez/Russell gets dealt, but it does mean there is more room for AA, McKinney, Almora.  The outfield probably has more range if it is two of those three, with Soler in RF.
Could defeinitely be some fun problems to have.  Very excited to see how this all plays out in the near future.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:37 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


Chicago Cubs @Cubs

Tonight’s #Cubs lineup vs #Reds: Coghlan LF, Baez 2B, Rizzo 1B, Castro SS, Valbuena 3B, Sweeney RF, Alcantara CF, Castillo C, Wood P

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:40 PM

Re: Cubs vs Reds 


Which doesn't even mention Schwarber who has torn through 3 separate levels in his first season of pro baseball.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 12  Next >