Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Jackson to the bullpen???

Posted: 8/20/2014 11:45 PM

Jackson to the bullpen??? 


read on twitter a lot of people think so...sports analysts...even Jackson sounds like it will happen

some of his quotes

“If it happens it happens. I haven’t made it an easy decision (not to go) for the organization or the team.”

“You get paid to go out there and go deep into games.”

"Just terrible. No excuse for it. I didn't help myself. I didn't help my team."

"Nobody wants to be moved. If it happens, the only thing u can do if u don’t like it is go out and pitch ur way out of jams."

Asked about Edwin Jackson (6.09 ERA), three times Cubs manager Rick Renteria said: “We’re going to assess and evaluate and see where we go.”
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:31 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


Gordon Wittenmyer@GDubCub ·

EJax to pen? "Nobody wants to be moved. If it happens, the only thing u can do if u don’t like it is go out and pitch ur way out of jams."

This would open a spot in the rotation for one of the new acquistions to get a few starts

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:39 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


It is a logical move, at least for this year. They can always try to fix him in the off-season and see how he does in Spring Training.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:54 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


It's tricky. There are others we want to see pitch and it's be nice to have a chance to win, but if u believe in the reverse standings, u want Edwin to pitch every 5th day instead of being burried in the bullpen. I say keep him starting or just release him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:03 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



doughboy981 wrote: It's tricky. There are others we want to see pitch and it's be nice to have a chance to win, but if u believe in the reverse standings, u want Edwin to pitch every 5th day instead of being burried in the bullpen. I say keep him starting or just release him.
The Cubs play playoff contenders the rest of their schedule -- the losses are going to pile up whether Edwin pitches or not. Moreover, Edwin seems not to be benefiting from his starts; if anything, he is getting worse. So rather than giving him the ball, his slot becomes a perfect place to evaluate Doubront, Turner, Straily.

No point releasing Jackson this late in the season. Maybe he somehow rights the ship in the offseason. If he looks terrible in Spring Training, you can always release him or assign him to the bullpen then.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:43 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



SportsGoblin wrote:
doughboy981 wrote: It's tricky. There are others we want to see pitch and it's be nice to have a chance to win, but if u believe in the reverse standings, u want Edwin to pitch every 5th day instead of being burried in the bullpen. I say keep him starting or just release him.
The Cubs play playoff contenders the rest of their schedule -- the losses are going to pile up whether Edwin pitches or not. Moreover, Edwin seems not to be benefiting from his starts; if anything, he is getting worse. So rather than giving him the ball, his slot becomes a perfect place to evaluate Doubront, Turner, Straily.

No point releasing Jackson this late in the season. Maybe he somehow rights the ship in the offseason. If he looks terrible in Spring Training, you can always release him or assign him to the bullpen then.
+1. I understand why Rickey/the FO kept starting EJax in the vain hope of turning him around/establishing at least some trade value, but at this point it seems to be a lost cause. Sit him down, divvy up his starts to the potential 2015 candidates, and try to reboot this thing in spring training.

Last edited 8/21/2014 11:25 AM by Grandpaboy1967

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:46 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


EJax starts at this point are just wasting opportunities for other starters while taxing the bullpen. Best to move him to the pen as a long arm. See if he can turn it around next spring and if not, he has to go.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 10:57 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 





---------------------------------------------
--- absolutebadger wrote:

EJax starts at this point are just wasting opportunities for other starters while taxing the bullpen. Best to move him to the pen as a long arm. See if he can turn it around next spring and if not, he has to go.

---------------------------------------------

This is the only solution....
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 11:27 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



msqboxer2011 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- absolutebadger wrote:

EJax starts at this point are just wasting opportunities for other starters while taxing the bullpen. Best to move him to the pen as a long arm. See if he can turn it around next spring and if not, he has to go.

---------------------------------------------

This is the only solution....
Without his consent, yes. With his consent..send him to AAA to work out his issues as a starter there. He can have the face-saving injury followed by 'rehab outings' in the minors if that helps anyone.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 11:38 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



SportsGoblin wrote:
msqboxer2011 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- absolutebadger wrote:

EJax starts at this point are just wasting opportunities for other starters while taxing the bullpen. Best to move him to the pen as a long arm. See if he can turn it around next spring and if not, he has to go.

---------------------------------------------

This is the only solution....
Without his consent, yes. With his consent..send him to AAA to work out his issues as a starter there. He can have the face-saving injury followed by 'rehab outings' in the minors if that helps anyone.
He is not going to approve going back to te minors
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 11:48 AM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



HomerInGloamin wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
msqboxer2011 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- absolutebadger wrote:

EJax starts at this point are just wasting opportunities for other starters while taxing the bullpen. Best to move him to the pen as a long arm. See if he can turn it around next spring and if not, he has to go.

---------------------------------------------

This is the only solution....
Without his consent, yes. With his consent..send him to AAA to work out his issues as a starter there. He can have the face-saving injury followed by 'rehab outings' in the minors if that helps anyone.
He is not going to approve going back to te minors
I agree it is very unlikely. All the Cubs can do is present him with his options. They could, however, make it a more attractive option.

For example, they could say they will give him no more starts until he shows effectiveness in AAA. So, if he wanted to start again, that's his option. Otherwise...back of the bench in the bullpen, used for meaningless innings where he won't hurt anything. Maybe if he does well with that, he earns his way into more meaningful bullpen innings.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 12:30 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 12:40 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Which gets you those AAA rehab starts as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 12:56 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Ask and you shall receive:

logan watkins from iowa for castro; EJax to DL with Rt lat strain; Rosscup from Iowa. #Cubs

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 12:57 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


Edwin Jackson headed to the DL. Rosscup up, Logan Watkins replaces Castro.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 1:04 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



SportsGoblin wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Which gets you those AAA rehab starts as well.
Somewhere in the near future this organization is going to have to eat some of the $22M he still has coming for 2015/16. I'm guessing, but I would say his value as a starter is around the $5M per year to a team that thinks they can get him back to being a .500 pitcher. His value is that he's never had any arm issues or physical issues and has been able to grab the ball every 5th day. If someone like the Angels (Garrett Richards) injury came calling for us to absorb lets say $12 to $14M would you do it?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 1:13 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



msqboxer2011 wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Which gets you those AAA rehab starts as well.
Somewhere in the near future this organization is going to have to eat some of the $22M he still has coming for 2015/16. I'm guessing, but I would say his value as a starter is around the $5M per year to a team that thinks they can get him back to being a .500 pitcher. His value is that he's never had any arm issues or physical issues and has been able to grab the ball every 5th day. If someone like the Angels (Garrett Richards) injury came calling for us to absorb lets say $12 to $14M would you do it?
In a heartbeat. I'm sure the Cubs have contemplated eating the whole $22M. Saving $8-$10M of that at this point would be a big win.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 1:27 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 


Not likely the Angels come calling for Ejax. They have much better options in AAA. The scary part is, 2 of their better options are Randy Wolf and Chris Volstad. Yes, that's how bad Ejax is...


---------------------------------------------
--- SportsGoblin wrote:


msqboxer2011 wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Which gets you those AAA rehab starts as well.
Somewhere in the near future this organization is going to have to eat some of the $22M he still has coming for 2015/16. I'm guessing, but I would say his value as a starter is around the $5M per year to a team that thinks they can get him back to being a .500 pitcher. His value is that he's never had any arm issues or physical issues and has been able to grab the ball every 5th day. If someone like the Angels (Garrett Richards) injury came calling for us to absorb lets say $12 to $14M would you do it?
In a heartbeat. I'm sure the Cubs have contemplated eating the whole $22M. Saving $8-$10M of that at this point would be a big win.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 1:36 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



cubsfaninca wrote: Not likely the Angels come calling for Ejax. They have much better options in AAA. The scary part is, 2 of their better options are Randy Wolf and Chris Volstad. Yes, that's how bad Ejax is...


---------------------------------------------
--- SportsGoblin wrote:


msqboxer2011 wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Which gets you those AAA rehab starts as well.
Somewhere in the near future this organization is going to have to eat some of the $22M he still has coming for 2015/16. I'm guessing, but I would say his value as a starter is around the $5M per year to a team that thinks they can get him back to being a .500 pitcher. His value is that he's never had any arm issues or physical issues and has been able to grab the ball every 5th day. If someone like the Angels (Garrett Richards) injury came calling for us to absorb lets say $12 to $14M would you do it?
In a heartbeat. I'm sure the Cubs have contemplated eating the whole $22M. Saving $8-$10M of that at this point would be a big win.

---------------------------------------------
Volstad has a 5.98 ERA in AAA -- NOT a better option. Randy Wolf has a 4.58 ERA in AAA numbers ... tough to say if he is a better option.

Having said the above...Jackson is the worst starting pitcher given any real playing time in the majors this year. Of course the Angels can find a better option than trading for Jackson. Heck, if they are willing to give back an interesting prospect, I'm sure Wada is a much better option for them if he can make it to them through waivers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 1:42 PM

Re: Jackson to the bullpen??? 



SportsGoblin wrote:
cubsfaninca wrote: Not likely the Angels come calling for Ejax. They have much better options in AAA. The scary part is, 2 of their better options are Randy Wolf and Chris Volstad. Yes, that's how bad Ejax is...


---------------------------------------------
--- SportsGoblin wrote:


msqboxer2011 wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: Jackson also mentioned not being 100 percent...not sure what that means but a trip to the DL is also a possibility
Which gets you those AAA rehab starts as well.
Somewhere in the near future this organization is going to have to eat some of the $22M he still has coming for 2015/16. I'm guessing, but I would say his value as a starter is around the $5M per year to a team that thinks they can get him back to being a .500 pitcher. His value is that he's never had any arm issues or physical issues and has been able to grab the ball every 5th day. If someone like the Angels (Garrett Richards) injury came calling for us to absorb lets say $12 to $14M would you do it?
In a heartbeat. I'm sure the Cubs have contemplated eating the whole $22M. Saving $8-$10M of that at this point would be a big win.

---------------------------------------------
Volstad has a 5.98 ERA in AAA -- NOT a better option. Randy Wolf has a 4.58 ERA in AAA numbers ... tough to say if he is a better option.

Having said the above...Jackson is the worst starting pitcher given any real playing time in the majors this year. Of course the Angels can find a better option than trading for Jackson. Heck, if they are willing to give back an interesting prospect, I'm sure Wada is a much better option for them if he can make it to them through waivers.
+1
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >