Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Decisions for 2015

Avatar

Posted: 7/14/2014 3:32 PM

Decisions for 2015 


Which of these players currently on the 25 and 40 man roster would you want back next year ?

Ruggiano/Coghlan/Barney/Bonifacio/Valbuena/Sweeney

Vitters/Watkins/Villanueva/Jackson/Kalish/Szczur
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2014 3:48 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


Coghlan and Ruggiano ....maybe Kalish if he turns it around the 2nd half

trade of  release everyone else
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2014 4:11 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


They better trade Barney, Bonafacio or Valbuena soon, because they can not release them after this season (being that all are on cheap one year contracts). Also, I believe Brett Jackson and Vitters are on one year MLB contracts- so it is just a question if they want them to finish it out or release then before the season ends. Same with Villanueva and Nate. 

Sweeney is under contract for 2015 and 2016. 
wrigleykid wrote: Coghlan and Ruggiano ....maybe Kalish if he turns it around the 2nd half

trade of  release everyone else


Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2014 4:40 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


Another day, another useless thread started with no information or subject that hasn't beaten to death in 100 different threads.

Some things truly don't change.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2014 5:34 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


So unless you 100% approve of any thread started, they are useless?

A poster is looking ahead to next season and thought it justified a new thread- what is the harm on a free message board?. Ironically your contribution to the thread is also useless and I believe you have done this before with other threads started you did not agree with- so your last sentence is also accurate.  
PorkChopExpress12 wrote: Another day, another useless thread started with no information or subject that hasn't beaten to death in 100 different threads.

Some things truly don't change.


Last edited 7/14/2014 5:35 PM by WadeWalker2013

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2014 5:54 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


Really this hasn't been discussed on 100 different threads? Or is there actual news worthy information on this that I missed.

If you did point it out. If not go back to the peanut gallery.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/14/2014 6:23 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



WadeWalker2013 wrote: They better trade Barney, Bonafacio or Valbuena soon, because they can not release them after this season (being that all are on cheap one year contracts). Also, I believe Brett Jackson and Vitters are on one year MLB contracts- so it is just a question if they want them to finish it out or release then before the season ends. Same with Villanueva and Nate. 

Sweeney is under contract for 2015 and 2016. 
wrigleykid wrote: Coghlan and Ruggiano ....maybe Kalish if he turns it around the 2nd half

trade of  release everyone else
Any of the above can be traded - so its just not release or bring back as the only options

Also pitching decisions to be made -

Wada, McDonald, Fujikawa, Parker, Beeler, Vizcaino, Rusin

obviously lot of options for players to be removed to make room for prospects to be added and protected for rule v
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2014 7:52 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


I'd be ok with keeping Coghlan, Parker, Vizcaino
Possibly Ruggiano, Valbuena, and Beeler
The rest...meh

I don't see anything wrong with starting this thread
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/14/2014 7:58 PM

Re: Decisions for 2015 





---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:

Another day, another useless thread started with no information or subject that hasn't beaten to death in 100 different threads.

Some things truly don't change.

---------------------------------------------

You're "that guy" aren't you?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 6:55 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



luke137 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:

Another day, another useless thread started with no information or subject that hasn't beaten to death in 100 different threads.

Some things truly don't change.

---------------------------------------------

You're "that guy" aren't you?
Yes... this forum has 3-4 of them as regulars. You'll get to know them soon enough. Just post something that questions 'a facet of' the rebuild (or 'an aspect of' the philosophy behind it) and they will pop up like flies on dog poop (with relatively the same sense of manners).  We have a virus, too!  tongue

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”  ~Albert Einstein

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 8:13 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 





---------------------------------------------
--- HomerInGloamin wrote:

Which of these players currently on the 25 and 40 man roster would you want back next year ?

Ruggiano/Coghlan/Barney/Bonifacio/Valbuena/Sweeney

Vitters/Watkins/Villanueva/Jackson/Kalish/Szczur

---------------------------------------------

Maybe Villanueva, Sweeney isnt as bad as he's played this yr, plus his money is on the books for next yr. The rest will probably be dealt or released.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 8:43 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


Yup. Apparently when you have over 4400 posts on this site you can determine what is useless for everyone and then tell those who disagree with you to go back to the peanut gallery. 

Deja vu huh?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=260&f=1167& t=12936124
luke137 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- PorkChopExpress12 wrote:

Another day, another useless thread started with no information or subject that hasn't beaten to death in 100 different threads.

Some things truly don't change.

---------------------------------------------

You're "that guy" aren't you?


Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:08 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:39 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


IMO the FO is going to play Ruggiano and Coghlan as much as possible up to the trade deadline with the hope they produce and they can obtain a decent prospect for them. There is no one who will want Sweeney who is under contract for 2015 and 2016. Szcur may stick around, but the FO is done with Vitters and Jackson. 


msqboxer2011 wrote: Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.


Last edited 7/15/2014 9:39 AM by WadeWalker2013

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:48 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



WadeWalker2013 wrote: IMO the FO is going to play Ruggiano and Coghlan as much as possible up to the trade deadline with the hope they produce and they can obtain a decent prospect for them. There is no one who will want Sweeney who is under contract for 2015 and 2016. Szcur may stick around, but the FO is done with Vitters and Jackson. 


msqboxer2011 wrote: Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.
They have a 2016 option on Sweeney. He is not under contract.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:53 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



absolutebadger wrote:
WadeWalker2013 wrote: IMO the FO is going to play Ruggiano and Coghlan as much as possible up to the trade deadline with the hope they produce and they can obtain a decent prospect for them. There is no one who will want Sweeney who is under contract for 2015 and 2016. Szcur may stick around, but the FO is done with Vitters and Jackson. 


msqboxer2011 wrote: Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.
They have a 2016 option on Sweeney. He is not under contract.
I would think his contract is a non issue...they can release him if they want
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:54 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



msqboxer2011 wrote: Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.
Donaldson was actually producing at AAA when he was promoted. I'm fine with giving an older player a chance when that chance is deserved. Jackson and Vitters are currently sucking at AAA and there spots on the 40 man will be needed to protect real prospects from the rule five draft.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:10 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 


They gone!

Kalish OTOH will get another chance since he has a history with Theo. I just saw that this trio is hitting between .208 and .214 in Iowa. 

FWIW Donaldson was hitting .217 in 2008 in A ball when the Cubs traded him.  

It is good the Cub's are only obliged to Sweeney for 2015- but still no one will have interest in him since he is under contract for 2015. 
absolutebadger wrote:
msqboxer2011 wrote: Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.
Donaldson was actually producing at AAA when he was promoted. I'm fine with giving an older player a chance when that chance is deserved. Jackson and Vitters are currently sucking at AAA and there spots on the 40 man will be needed to protect real prospects from the rule five draft.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:22 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



wrigleykid wrote:
absolutebadger wrote:
WadeWalker2013 wrote: IMO the FO is going to play Ruggiano and Coghlan as much as possible up to the trade deadline with the hope they produce and they can obtain a decent prospect for them. There is no one who will want Sweeney who is under contract for 2015 and 2016. Szcur may stick around, but the FO is done with Vitters and Jackson. 


msqboxer2011 wrote: Myself....I don't want to see anyone over the age of 26 on this roster unless it's a reclamation project pitcher. I'd rather take a crap shoot with Vitters, Jackson and Szczur and see if you could find a future Donaldson who develops late verses Sweeney, Ruggiano and Coghlan. No matter what, chances they are placeholders for the future core and I'd rather lose paying MLB minimums verses $1M+ to each of the others.
They have a 2016 option on Sweeney. He is not under contract.
I would think his contract is a non issue...they can release him if they want
It would cost too much money to release him now. I think he is on the roster at the beginning of next season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2014 10:27 AM

Re: Decisions for 2015 



absolutebadger wrote:
It would cost too much money to release him now. I think he is on the roster at the beginning of next season.

Sweeney has a 1.5 million dollar contract for 2015 - It wouldn't be that difficult to trade and is fair for a back up OF.

Cubs need 3 new starting OF's for 2015 - What they have on the current roster are suitable back up (4th or 5th OF)
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >