Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >

Alcantara is coming up!!!!!

Posted: 7/8/2014 10:58 PM

Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


As per Carrie Muskat, AA will be coming up to cover for Barney, who is taking time off for paternity leave.  Here's hoping he stays up!!  

  FINALLY one of our top prospects is here. 
   
   biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 10:59 PM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


Per Jesse Rogers:
Arismendy Alcantara getting called up to Cubs for Darwin Barney who's on paternity leave. 2 day call up. That's it
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/8/2014 11:01 PM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


Thanks for getting my hopes up.  Another paternity leave huh?  I wish our players scored as often between the lines.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 11:06 PM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


2 days is better than nothing.  He better get in a game.  Is it mandatory that he only stays for 2 days on a paternity leave thing and/or how soon after he's sent back down could he be recalled? Can we hope for Barney's wife to have a delayed labor that takes a few weeks? rolleyes
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 11:12 PM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


so we are starting his clock???

no offense but if its for 2 days I will take Watkins...hate the idea of Alcantara coming in to the middle of this train wreck
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 11:29 PM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



wrigleykid wrote: so we are starting his clock???

no offense but if its for 2 days I will take Watkins...hate the idea of Alcantara coming in to the middle of this train wreck
            I'll bet Arismandy LOVES the idea of coming into this train wreck as you call it.  Watkins had his shot already. Its time for a real prospect.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 12:10 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



cubsfaninca wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: so we are starting his clock???

no offense but if its for 2 days I will take Watkins...hate the idea of Alcantara coming in to the middle of this train wreck
            I'll bet Arismandy LOVES the idea of coming into this train wreck as you call it.  Watkins had his shot already. Its time for a real prospect.
I will agree if it turns into a REAL shot
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 5:34 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



wrigleykid wrote:
cubsfaninca wrote:
wrigleykid wrote: so we are starting his clock???

no offense but if its for 2 days I will take Watkins...hate the idea of Alcantara coming in to the middle of this train wreck
            I'll bet Arismandy LOVES the idea of coming into this train wreck as you call it.  Watkins had his shot already. Its time for a real prospect.
I will agree if it turns into a REAL shot
I believe the plan was to call up AA after the All-Star break. He is after the "Super 2" period, so as long as they were calling him up sometime this year, now is as good a time as any. I do wonder if somebody will be traded in the next couple days such that he doesn't need to be sent back down...maybe Coghlan or Ruggiano have played well enough to be shipped for a low A prospect with potential?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/9/2014 7:42 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


I hope they demote either Lake or Olt and keep Alcantara playing (starting) the rest of the season.

Keep the prospects coming - now is the time to evaluate - September call ups give very little indication of future potential.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 9:00 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



HomerInGloamin wrote: I hope they demote either Lake or Olt and keep Alcantara playing (starting) the rest of the season.

Keep the prospects coming - now is the time to evaluate - September call ups give very little indication of future potential.

Aren't Olt and Lake "prospects"? Why noit give them regular playing time and see if it helps?

FWIW, Olt is hitting .273 in July with a 1.294 OPS (13PA).

I think I would prefer to trade Coghlan/Ruggiano/Schierholtz/Sweeney and free up playing time for prospects that way. How many of these guys will be with the Cubs in 2015? One?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/9/2014 9:17 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



SportsGoblin wrote:
HomerInGloamin wrote: I hope they demote either Lake or Olt and keep Alcantara playing (starting) the rest of the season.

Keep the prospects coming - now is the time to evaluate - September call ups give very little indication of future potential.

Aren't Olt and Lake "prospects"? Why noit give them regular playing time and see if it helps?

FWIW, Olt is hitting .273 in July with a 1.294 OPS (13PA).

I think I would prefer to trade Coghlan/Ruggiano/Schierholtz/Sweeney and free up playing time for prospects that way. How many of these guys will be with the Cubs in 2015? One?
I don't care how you free up playing time for the prospects - trading backup outfielders is not going to net you much. Olt & Lake have shown they are either not ready or not much of a prospect. No harm in having them develop in the minors and bringing up players that are part of the future.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:04 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



HomerInGloamin wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
HomerInGloamin wrote: I hope they demote either Lake or Olt and keep Alcantara playing (starting) the rest of the season.

Keep the prospects coming - now is the time to evaluate - September call ups give very little indication of future potential.

Aren't Olt and Lake "prospects"? Why noit give them regular playing time and see if it helps?

FWIW, Olt is hitting .273 in July with a 1.294 OPS (13PA).

I think I would prefer to trade Coghlan/Ruggiano/Schierholtz/Sweeney and free up playing time for prospects that way. How many of these guys will be with the Cubs in 2015? One?
I don't care how you free up playing time for the prospects - trading backup outfielders is not going to net you much. Olt & Lake have shown they are either not ready or not much of a prospect. No harm in having them develop in the minors and bringing up players that are part of the future.
.
They will call up the guys from the minors when they are ready and then when in the majors they will try to be patient with them. They want to maximize their chances of success.

You would have rushed Rizzo to the majors like the Padres did and then traded him after he hit .141 in 153 PA. You have zero patience. No patience to wait for prospects to be ready. No patience for letting prospects try to work things out in the majors. No patience for the team to improve. Impatient owners and GMs in baseball more often than not make very poor decisions and rack up tons of spending that ends up hurting the teams efforts for years to come.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:22 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



SportsGoblin wrote:
They will call up the guys from the minors when they are ready and then when in the majors they will try to be patient with them. They want to maximize their chances of success.

You would have rushed Rizzo to the majors like the Padres did and then traded him after he hit .141 in 153 PA. You have zero patience. No patience to wait for prospects to be ready. No patience for letting prospects try to work things out in the majors. No patience for the team to improve. Impatient owners and GMs in baseball more often than not make very poor decisions and rack up tons of spending that ends up hurting the teams efforts for years to come.

Are you telling me Bryant is not ready ? Is Alcantara not ready ?

I want them playing in majors so they can work things out and learn from other major league players and coaches. They can also start learning the opposing pitchers and where to position themselves defensively. It is not impatience but in many cases the right thing to do.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:32 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



HomerInGloamin wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
They will call up the guys from the minors when they are ready and then when in the majors they will try to be patient with them. They want to maximize their chances of success.

You would have rushed Rizzo to the majors like the Padres did and then traded him after he hit .141 in 153 PA. You have zero patience. No patience to wait for prospects to be ready. No patience for letting prospects try to work things out in the majors. No patience for the team to improve. Impatient owners and GMs in baseball more often than not make very poor decisions and rack up tons of spending that ends up hurting the teams efforts for years to come.

Are you telling me Bryant is not ready ? Is Alcantara not ready ?

I want them playing in majors so they can work things out and learn from other major league players and coaches. They can also start learning the opposing pitchers and where to position themselves defensively. It is not impatience but in many cases the right thing to do.
The record is starting to break.  Stop acting dense.  Bryant's promotion will be based on service time considerations and having to explain that to people who already know it is getting old.  Why the hell woould you burn more service time than necessary in a season like this when you could have him longer at a time when you expect to compete?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:35 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


Bryant won't even be a big-leaguer at the beginning of next season. His timeline is set perfectly for the typical May call-up.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:45 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



zighawk73 wrote: 
Bryant's promotion will be based on service time considerations and having to explain that to people who already know it is getting old.  Why the hell woould you burn more service time than necessary in a season like this when you could have him longer at a time when you expect to compete?
I understand the service time argument. I also understand the reality that he most likely doesn't get promoted until May of 2015.

You have benefits of playing your prospects when they are ready. If he comes up to the majors and performs he will most likely sign an extension and the service time talk goes away. If he comes up and is just average then it won't matter.

But don't feed me the crap that certain players need more seasoning in the minors when it is clear it is strictly a finacial decision and not a baseball decision.

The thread is about Alcantara and reality is all he will play is 2 days. I would like to see him start the rest of the season and start his evaluation at the major league level with somewhat meaningful games.

Last edited 7/9/2014 10:54 AM by HomerInGloamin

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:53 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



HomerInGloamin wrote:
zighawk73 wrote: 
Bryant's promotion will be based on service time considerations and having to explain that to people who already know it is getting old.  Why the hell woould you burn more service time than necessary in a season like this when you could have him longer at a time when you expect to compete?
I understand the service time argument. I also understand the reality that he most likely doesn't get promoted until May of 2015.

You have benefits of playing your prospects when they are ready. If he comes up to the majors and performs he will most likely sign an extension and the service time talk goes away. If he comes up and is just average then it won't matter.

But don't feed me the crap that certain players need more seasoning in the minors when it is clear it is strictly a finacial decision and not a baseball decision.
So you agree that it is in many cases a financial decision, but don't understand how they benefit financially if the team extends the player? The Cubs are in the process of building an offensive juggernaut that could be among the top teams for a decade and all you do is bitch.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:54 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 


They should DFA Nate, send down Lake and play Alcantara just about everyday at 2b or CF.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/9/2014 11:00 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



absolutebadger wrote:
So you agree that it is in many cases a financial decision, but don't understand how they benefit financially if the team extends the player? The Cubs are in the process of building an offensive juggernaut that could be among the top teams for a decade and all you do is bitch.

I agree that financial concerns are involved in the decision making process. It is not bitching when I want to see better baseball and see the best talent on the field. I'm still skeptical that you will have an offesive juggernaut for the next decade especially when you know some of these prospects will be traded or not reach their potential. I'm just stating what I would like to see happen even though I know the chances are remote in most cases. Can't a fan root for a team to win instead of actively rooting for the team to lose to get higher draft picks ?

Back to Alcantara - Does he need more development in the minors or would anyone rather he started the rest of the year in the majors or do financial concerns prevent him from staying in the majors this season ?

Last edited 7/9/2014 11:08 AM by HomerInGloamin

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/9/2014 11:34 AM

Re: Alcantara is coming up!!!!! 



HomerInGloamin wrote:
SportsGoblin wrote:
They will call up the guys from the minors when they are ready and then when in the majors they will try to be patient with them. They want to maximize their chances of success.

You would have rushed Rizzo to the majors like the Padres did and then traded him after he hit .141 in 153 PA. You have zero patience. No patience to wait for prospects to be ready. No patience for letting prospects try to work things out in the majors. No patience for the team to improve. Impatient owners and GMs in baseball more often than not make very poor decisions and rack up tons of spending that ends up hurting the teams efforts for years to come.

Are you telling me Bryant is not ready ? Is Alcantara not ready ?

I want them playing in majors so they can work things out and learn from other major league players and coaches. They can also start learning the opposing pitchers and where to position themselves defensively. It is not impatience but in many cases the right thing to do.
Bryant has 86PA in AAA. He also has a 31% K rate, which is higher than one might want. If they call him up, he strikes out a ton and is hitting .150, you will call for him to be sent down and declare him and the rebuild a failure and push for signing 10 billion dollars worth of free agents. Heck, you called for Baez to be called up straight from AA,and based on how he started in AAA, that clearly would have been a mistake. Baez has benefitted from his time in AAA. So has Alcantara. 

Alcantara has 366PA in AAA, a lower K rate (25%)..he probably is more ready.

You absolutely do not want them up in the majors so they can work things out, since you will jump on them as failures and call for them to be sent down faster than almost anyone. Just today you were declaring Olt and Lake as "not prospects" and calling for them to be sent down. Where was the "work things out in the majors" love then?
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 6  Next >