Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Team Potential???

  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/10/2013 10:33 PM

Team Potential??? 


How good can the Cubs be in a couple years if the obvious young ones reach their ceilings?

Add Baez, Soler and Almora at what they can be to Rizzo, Castro and Barney. With Sammy, Garza, our #1 draft pick, in this coming draft, for pitching.

Find a few more. Spend for free agents. And just how good? World Series good? Dynasty good? Or far short of that?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/10/2013 11:51 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



RAMBLE wrote: How good can the Cubs be in a couple years if the obvious young ones reach their ceilings?

Add Baez, Soler and Almora at what they can be to Rizzo, Castro and Barney. With Sammy, Garza, our #1 draft pick, in this coming draft, for pitching.

Find a few more. Spend for free agents. And just how good? World Series good? Dynasty good? Or far short of that?
Garza will be long gone, but with JS, Jackson, Wood and Vizcaino, they could just be 1 stud short of a very good rotation.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 8:52 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 



RAMBLE wrote: How good can the Cubs be in a couple years if the obvious young ones reach their ceilings?

Add Baez, Soler and Almora at what they can be to Rizzo, Castro and Barney. With Sammy, Garza, our #1 draft pick, in this coming draft, for pitching.

Find a few more. Spend for free agents. And just how good? World Series good? Dynasty good? Or far short of that?
Not even close to dynasty good

It will come down to pitching if they are World Series good -

Will they extend Garza or trade him ?

In a couple years you will need to decide if you are extending Samardzija

Vizcaino could end up being the closer or in the rotation or just not that good

2015 seems to be the first year you would see Baez & Soler fulltime and maybe Almora late that year - It would take them a couple years to reach their full potential so now you are looking at 2017 by focussing on homegrown talent
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 8:54 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 



RAMBLE wrote: How good can the Cubs be in a couple years if the obvious young ones reach their ceilings?

Add Baez, Soler and Almora at what they can be to Rizzo, Castro and Barney. With Sammy, Garza, our #1 draft pick, in this coming draft, for pitching.

Find a few more. Spend for free agents. And just how good? World Series good? Dynasty good? Or far short of that?
Not even close to dynasty good

It will come down to pitching if they are World Series good -

Will they extend Garza or trade him ?

In a couple years you will need to decide if you are extending Samardzija

Vizcaino could end up being the closer or in the rotation or just not that good

2015 seems to be the first year you would see Baez & Soler fulltime and maybe Almora late that year - It would take them a couple years to reach their full potential so now you are looking at 2017 by focussing on homegrown talent
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 10:58 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 


The good talent in the minors that the Cubs have accrued the past couple of years especially will come into play if they are going to be a truly competitive team in 2014 and beyond.  I think this upcoming 2013 season will see more trades of veteran players for additional young guys. 

That being said, the FA class will be thin so having this nice stockpile of solid minor leaguers will help with potential game changer player trades.

Call me crazy, but I think this coming offseason there will be some moves made to make a run at the playoffs in 2014.  Do I think they will win the world series in 2014?  Probably not. 

I do feel though 2015 could definitely show a REALLY good team on the northside for several years (if all of this waiting and rebuilding actually works)

Koyie Hill fanclub - Member #00000001

Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/11/2013 11:20 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 


Seems to me that the Cubs COULD have 5 All-Star caliber position players if they reach potential. Baez, Soler, Almora, Rizzo, Castro. And one, maybe two pitchers. #1 pick and possibly Sammy.

That's the base to which unknowns are to be added.

That's the ceiling of optimism.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 11:29 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 



RAMBLE wrote: Seems to me that the Cubs COULD have 5 All-Star caliber position players if they reach potential. Baez, Soler, Almora, Rizzo, Castro. And one, maybe two pitchers. #1 pick and possibly Sammy.

That's the base to which unknowns are to be added.

That's the ceiling of optimism.
What year do you have all these players reaching their potential ? Do you think they are all star caliber their 1st year or will it take a few season in the majors to reach that potential ?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 11:29 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 


Sammy?  I thought his nickname was retired.

Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/11/2013 12:23 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote: Seems to me that the Cubs COULD have 5 All-Star caliber position players if they reach potential. Baez, Soler, Almora, Rizzo, Castro. And one, maybe two pitchers. #1 pick and possibly Sammy.

That's the base to which unknowns are to be added.

That's the ceiling of optimism.
What year do you have all these players reaching their potential ? Do you think they are all star caliber their 1st year or will it take a few season in the majors to reach that potential ?
In my mind, the year is a glorious one. Harkens back to 08.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 12:44 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



RAMBLE wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote: Seems to me that the Cubs COULD have 5 All-Star caliber position players if they reach potential. Baez, Soler, Almora, Rizzo, Castro. And one, maybe two pitchers. #1 pick and possibly Sammy.

That's the base to which unknowns are to be added.

That's the ceiling of optimism.
What year do you have all these players reaching their potential ? Do you think they are all star caliber their 1st year or will it take a few season in the majors to reach that potential ?
In my mind, the year is a glorious one. Harkens back to 08.
What year do you think Baez, Soler and Almora reach all star caliber ? 2016 ? 2017 ? 2018 ?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/11/2013 2:11 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote: Seems to me that the Cubs COULD have 5 All-Star caliber position players if they reach potential. Baez, Soler, Almora, Rizzo, Castro. And one, maybe two pitchers. #1 pick and possibly Sammy.

That's the base to which unknowns are to be added.

That's the ceiling of optimism.
What year do you have all these players reaching their potential ? Do you think they are all star caliber their 1st year or will it take a few season in the majors to reach that potential ?
In my mind, the year is a glorious one. Harkens back to 08.
What year do you think Baez, Soler and Almora reach all star caliber ? 2016 ? 2017 ? 2018 ?
You don't need 6 all stars to be very good. Soler is on the 40 man roster and 2013 will be his 2nd option year. In 2015 he will be out of options unless he makes the team in 2014 and never gets sent down.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/11/2013 2:23 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 


How good can this team be? Anbody's guess is as good as anybody else's, unless 2007 is doing the guessing.

As for mine, I say the position talent may be tantalizingly good, based on what's been on display this spring. And so much depends on them staying the course and continuing to channel their resourses into stockpiling for the future, for now. The No. 2 overall pick, return for Garza (fingers and toes crossed,) eventual reutrn for E. Jackson (my prediction,) no. 2 budget for 2013 IFA class, and one more bottoming-out-year (I also predict.) And the processes repeats one more year.

And then 2015, the dawning of a new era and it could be big. Rickett's is a baseball guy, at heart. The first signs that something big is brewing, I predict, he loses it in a big (and good) way. It is then, with the arduous task of building a deep, talented core through the system complete, that the last inequity remaining, under the new CBA, salary descreptency at the MLB level, gets exploited by the big market Cubbies. And to all you rebuild bashers, I for one am chomping at the bit. And no, I won't be above saying I told you so.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/11/2013 2:28 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



HolyMackeral wrote: How good can this team be? Anbody's guess is as good as anybody else's, unless 2007 is doing the guessing.

As for mine, I say the position talent may be tantalizingly good, based on what's been on display this spring. And so much depends on them staying the course and continuing to channel their resourses into stockpiling for the future, for now. The No. 2 overall pick, return for Garza (fingers and toes crossed,) eventual reutrn for E. Jackson (my prediction,) no. 2 budget for 2013 IFA class, and one more bottoming-out-year (I also predict.) And the processes repeats one more year.

And then 2015, the dawning of a new era and it could be big. Rickett's is a baseball guy, at heart. The first signs that something big is brewing, I predict, he loses it in a big (and good) way. It is then, with the arduous task of building a deep, talented core through the system complete, that the last inequity remaining, under the new CBA, salary descreptency at the MLB level, gets exploited by the big market Cubbies. And to all you rebuild bashers, I for one am chomping at the bit. And no, I won't be above saying I told you so.
What do you want to say I told you so - that the Cubs are going to spend a lot of money in 2015 ?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/11/2013 5:29 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



cubs2007 wrote:
HolyMackeral wrote: How good can this team be? Anbody's guess is as good as anybody else's, unless 2007 is doing the guessing.

As for mine, I say the position talent may be tantalizingly good, based on what's been on display this spring. And so much depends on them staying the course and continuing to channel their resourses into stockpiling for the future, for now. The No. 2 overall pick, return for Garza (fingers and toes crossed,) eventual reutrn for E. Jackson (my prediction,) no. 2 budget for 2013 IFA class, and one more bottoming-out-year (I also predict.) And the processes repeats one more year.

And then 2015, the dawning of a new era and it could be big. Rickett's is a baseball guy, at heart. The first signs that something big is brewing, I predict, he loses it in a big (and good) way. It is then, with the arduous task of building a deep, talented core through the system complete, that the last inequity remaining, under the new CBA, salary descreptency at the MLB level, gets exploited by the big market Cubbies. And to all you rebuild bashers, I for one am chomping at the bit. And no, I won't be above saying I told you so.
What do you want to say I told you so - that the Cubs are going to spend a lot of money in 2015 ?
No, that would not be it.
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/11/2013 5:34 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
RAMBLE wrote: Seems to me that the Cubs COULD have 5 All-Star caliber position players if they reach potential. Baez, Soler, Almora, Rizzo, Castro. And one, maybe two pitchers. #1 pick and possibly Sammy.

That's the base to which unknowns are to be added.

That's the ceiling of optimism.
What year do you have all these players reaching their potential ? Do you think they are all star caliber their 1st year or will it take a few season in the majors to reach that potential ?
In my mind, the year is a glorious one. Harkens back to 08.
What year do you think Baez, Soler and Almora reach all star caliber ? 2016 ? 2017 ? 2018 ?
I would say it depends.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/11/2013 5:57 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 



RAMBLE wrote: How good can the Cubs be in a couple years if the obvious young ones reach their ceilings?

Add Baez, Soler and Almora at what they can be to Rizzo, Castro and Barney. With Sammy, Garza, our #1 draft pick, in this coming draft, for pitching.

Find a few more. Spend for free agents. And just how good? World Series good? Dynasty good? Or far short of that?
Every team has prospects like the Cubs who hopefully can be ML starters.  We all have our prospect wish list every year. Will Baez, Soler, and Almora all become starters for the Cubs?? Odds aren't good, but Theo/Jed have a good track record of when to sell high and when to know a prospects will never be more than that.

Making some good trades around these prospects and continuing to pick up pieces can get the Cubs back to respectability.  That's the first step.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2013 8:17 AM

Re: Team Potential??? 



HolyMackeral wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
HolyMackeral wrote: How good can this team be? Anbody's guess is as good as anybody else's, unless 2007 is doing the guessing.

As for mine, I say the position talent may be tantalizingly good, based on what's been on display this spring. And so much depends on them staying the course and continuing to channel their resourses into stockpiling for the future, for now. The No. 2 overall pick, return for Garza (fingers and toes crossed,) eventual reutrn for E. Jackson (my prediction,) no. 2 budget for 2013 IFA class, and one more bottoming-out-year (I also predict.) And the processes repeats one more year.

And then 2015, the dawning of a new era and it could be big. Rickett's is a baseball guy, at heart. The first signs that something big is brewing, I predict, he loses it in a big (and good) way. It is then, with the arduous task of building a deep, talented core through the system complete, that the last inequity remaining, under the new CBA, salary descreptency at the MLB level, gets exploited by the big market Cubbies. And to all you rebuild bashers, I for one am chomping at the bit. And no, I won't be above saying I told you so.
What do you want to say I told you so - that the Cubs are going to spend a lot of money in 2015 ?
No, that would not be it.
Are you predicting the Cubs tanking in 2013 and 2014 with them trading veterans for prospects at the deadline and these prospect help lead the team to future success ?
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/12/2013 10:40 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 


Have at it. Minor league rosters:

http://www.thecubreporter.com/...Cub+Reporter%29
Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/13/2013 9:46 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 


Reply | Quote
  • RAMBLE
  • Franchise Player
  • 1742 posts this site

Posted: 3/15/2013 7:24 PM

Re: Team Potential??? 


Baez hit 2 HR's!!!! As baby Cubs beat WBC Japan 7-5. Baez's walkoff won it.

http://muskat.mlblogs.com/2013...cubs-7-japan-5/
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >