Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Cubs to resign Stewart

Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 3:31 PM

Cubs to resign Stewart 


Ian Stewart signing a deal to return to  # cubs, according to sources. Details not yet available.

#23 OF CHICAGO SPORTS:
         23 - SANDBERG
         23 - JORDAN
         23 - HESTER
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 3:32 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


Stewart back to full health after playing 2 years with a broken bone in his wrist.  # cubs

#23 OF CHICAGO SPORTS:
         23 - SANDBERG
         23 - JORDAN
         23 - HESTER
Reply | Quote
  • CUWPC
  • Rookie
  • 19 posts this site

Posted: 12/6/2012 3:40 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 3:54 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


This is not optimal but I'm kinda relieved because Yuniesky Betancourt.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 3:57 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



CUWPC wrote: I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
If you are only focussing on free agents you are right. You hired the bright front office to be creative in providing long term solutions. Why not trade for a mlb ready prospect like Olt instead on digging through the bargain bin ?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:02 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



cubs2007 wrote:
CUWPC wrote: I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
If you are only focussing on free agents you are right. You hired the bright front office to be creative in providing long term solutions. Why not trade for a mlb ready prospect like Olt instead on digging through the bargain bin ?
I see a scene from Oliver Twist as Theo (Twist) goes to Jon Daniels and says "Please sir, I want some Olt."

Last edited 12/6/2012 4:07 PM by zighawk73

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:04 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


From the Score, Stewart is getting ~ $2Million.

I think waiving him ended up saving the Cubs a couple hundred k. For that, they might as well have offered him arbitration and avoided the risk of losing him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:17 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


Well, from the dregs, he offers the best potential payoff. So, good decision.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:19 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



SportsGoblin wrote: From the Score, Stewart is getting ~ $2Million.

I think waiving him ended up saving the Cubs a couple hundred k. For that, they might as well have offered him arbitration and avoided the risk of losing him.

It's a one-year, $2MM deal for the Reynolds Sports Management client, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. The deal also includes $500K of incentives.

The 27-year-old is said to be back to full health after playing with a broken bone in his wrist for the last two years. During that stretch, Stewart has had a .183/.272/.289 slash line with five home runs in 338 total plate appearances. Before the injury, Stewart owned a career .245/.332/.451 slash line in four seasons with the Rockies.

The Cubs non-tendered Stewart earlier this month as he was set to earn $2.3MM in arbitration.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:21 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



zighawk73 wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
CUWPC wrote: I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
If you are only focussing on free agents you are right. You hired the bright front office to be creative in providing long term solutions. Why not trade for a mlb ready prospect like Olt instead on digging through the bargain bin ?
I see a scene from Oliver Twist as Theo (Twist) goes to Jon Daniels and says "Please sir, I want some Olt."
exactly right and for Theo's trouble Daniels can tell him to throw in the only A graded prospect in recent Cub farm system history.. By the way Olt is still unproven as well..
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:29 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


Paul Sullivan @ PWSullivan Stewart returns on non-guaranteed $2 million, 1-year contract. If released in spring training, Cubs off hook.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:32 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



cubs2007 wrote: Paul Sullivan @ PWSullivan Stewart returns on non-guaranteed $2 million, 1-year contract. If released in spring training, Cubs off hook.
Interesting, maybe they're not done yet.  At the very least they are not stuck with him if they find something better.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 4:53 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


http://www.thecubreporter.com/...7/15/aha-moment


Interesting read on his wrist injury if anyone cares.  Also note the third comment at the bottom.  That guy wins.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 5:31 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 


If he is healthy, I take him over just about any other 3rd baseman available.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 7:23 PM

RE: Cubs to resign Stewart 


If he is healthy, thats not a bad infield at all. If we could add some pop for right field, we might actually start looking like a baseball team.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 9:30 PM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



cubs2007 wrote:
CUWPC wrote: I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
If you are only focussing on free agents you are right. You hired the bright front office to be creative in providing long term solutions. Why not trade for a mlb ready prospect like Olt instead on digging through the bargain bin ?
because you would have to give up assets to get an asset.  Olt would be very expensive.


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/6/2012 10:22 PM

RE: Cubs to resign Stewart 



DrakeCubsFan wrote: If he is healthy, thats not a bad infield at all. If we could add some pop for right field, we might actually start looking like a baseball team.

Of course the assumption here is that healthy Stewart = Good MLB player.  I have serious doubts.  I think Valbuena wins the job easily.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/7/2012 7:17 AM

RE: Cubs to resign Stewart 



doughboy981 wrote:
DrakeCubsFan wrote: If he is healthy, thats not a bad infield at all. If we could add some pop for right field, we might actually start looking like a baseball team.

Of course the assumption here is that healthy Stewart = Good MLB player.  I have serious doubts.  I think Valbuena wins the job easily.
Valbuena has looked very good in winter ball. Admittedly, winter ball...but still, much better than if he was looking bad in winter ball, right? confused
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/7/2012 8:25 AM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



mhuml32 wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
CUWPC wrote: I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
If you are only focussing on free agents you are right. You hired the bright front office to be creative in providing long term solutions. Why not trade for a mlb ready prospect like Olt instead on digging through the bargain bin ?
because you would have to give up assets to get an asset.  Olt would be very expensive.
Didn't you give up an asset to acquire Rizzo ? How do you plan on improving if now you are not willing to make trades ?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/7/2012 8:37 AM

Re: Cubs to resign Stewart 



cubs2007 wrote:
mhuml32 wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
CUWPC wrote: I guess he is better then most of the FA's left.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/...an-stewart.html
If you are only focussing on free agents you are right. You hired the bright front office to be creative in providing long term solutions. Why not trade for a mlb ready prospect like Olt instead on digging through the bargain bin ?
because you would have to give up assets to get an asset.  Olt would be very expensive.
Didn't you give up an asset to acquire Rizzo ? How do you plan on improving if now you are not willing to make trades ?
Current Olt trade rumors involve Texas receiving players like James Shields or Justin Upton...do the Cubs have anyone of this caliber that you'd like to move?  Please, name some names.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >