Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score...

Posted: 11/13/2012 11:04 AM

Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


Will check web for backup references now. tongue

EDIT Promised reference:  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/cubs-sign-sc ott-baker.html

Last edited 11/13/2012 11:04 AM by SportsGoblin

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 11:04 AM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


Not a bad signing, will be interested in the cost.....


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 11:08 AM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


Depending on the cost, this is a very good deal.

3.14 ERA over 134.2 innings in 2011. 1.173 WHIP. Injury history obviously a concern.

Last edited 11/13/2012 11:09 AM by SportsGoblin

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 11:20 AM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


Seems like a good gamble:

https://twitter.com/CSNMooney

Source says Scott Baker gets a one-year, $5.5 million deal from # Cubs with incentives that could be worth up to additional $1.5 million.
Go away Cubs2007, no one cares what you have to say!!!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 1:00 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:09 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.

Did anyone else already know 2007 wouldn't like the deal before they even opened the thread?

If they had signed him to a 2 year deal you'd have posted that someone coming off TJS hasn't proven themselves yet so they shouldn't have committed two years and 10 million bucks to him, tying up all that payroll.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:20 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.
No, the Cubs didn't pay him to rehab--the Twins did.  Last year.  Scott Baker's TJ surgery was performed on April 17, 2012, and while a lot of people still think in terms of an 18-month rehab from this procedure, that ain't necessarily the case anymore.  See the following SI article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...gery/index.html#  Quoth Dr. Tim Kremchek, the Reds' team doc (and the guy who perfomed Edinson Volquez's TJS):   "Much like ACL reconstruction in football, where we're seeing some kids back on the field in four to five months, we're seeing the same sort of thing with elbows. With the newer, more holistic rehab processes, I'm seeing most players ready in a year, maybe a little less. They're focused on the core, on mobilizing the arm, on proprioception, and that has them back and ready to go." Now, that's no guarantee that Scott Baker won't start 2013 on the DL, but I also think it's a bit premature to rip Theo & Co. for paying a guy to lift weights and run wind-sprints for a year. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:23 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



SPOONER wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.

Did anyone else already know 2007 wouldn't like the deal before they even opened the thread?

If they had signed him to a 2 year deal you'd have posted that someone coming off TJS hasn't proven themselves yet so they shouldn't have committed two years and 10 million bucks to him, tying up all that payroll.
I'm just basing my comments on what has happened with pitchers coming off Tommy John surgery in the past. It is the second year you see the better results after building strength the 1st year back.

1 year deal possibilities -
pitches poorly and team cuts losses after the season - 5.5 million spent
pitches well and receive prospects in July
pitches ok - can't trade and need to find new starter in 2014
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:26 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.
Fangraphs Dave Cameron calls this a good deal for the Cubs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/cubs-sign -scott-baker/

A particularly on-point part of his analysis was:

For a rebuilding team, this is how Major League payroll should be used. Use available jobs and cash to sign guys who can offer some upside without locking yourself into any long term risk, and position the roster to offer the fans a decent product without giving up any of the long term assets that the team is building around. The cost isn’t so low that it would have made sense for every team to do this deal, but for a club like the Cubs, this is exactly the kind of move that makes sense.

Also, consider that he had his Tommy John surgery in April, and one thing the Cubs have been adding a lot of lately is medical staff. Let's assume they know what they are dealing with. If he is not ready soon enough that they can and want to trade him, then maybe they have him available in the 2nd half of 2013 to take Garza's (or someone else's) slot after they make a trade, have an injury, etc. If he pitches really well after the trade deadline, they can make him a qualifying offer to either get him back on a 1-yr deal or else get a sandwich pick. And he is cheap enough that they can sign a few of these guys.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:43 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote:
SPOONER wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.

Did anyone else already know 2007 wouldn't like the deal before they even opened the thread?

If they had signed him to a 2 year deal you'd have posted that someone coming off TJS hasn't proven themselves yet so they shouldn't have committed two years and 10 million bucks to him, tying up all that payroll.
I'm just basing my comments on what has happened with pitchers coming off Tommy John surgery in the past. It is the second year you see the better results after building strength the 1st year back.

1 year deal possibilities -
pitches poorly and team cuts losses after the season - 5.5 million spent
pitches well and receive prospects in July
pitches ok - can't trade and need to find new starter in 2014
Isn't there also a possibility of "pitches well and gets stronger as the year progresses; decides he likes Chicago and signs a new deal with the Cubs?"  Or, "pitches well enough to merit a qualifying offer from the Cubs, which then guarantees the team a compensatory draft pick if he opts for free agency?"  Or do those not fit in with the narrative that Theo & Jed suck and all of their moves are bound to fail?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:50 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


i like it. low risk move. im sure the medical staff evaluated him before the offer was made. so TJ doesnt scare me. agree with grandpa - there are more options than cubs2007 posted, and the only 'negative' one of the group is that he doesnt perform well this year. but that in turn is a positive bc we only have him for one year.

i think these tweets by carrie muskat nail it:

Baker is coming off Tommy John surgery but  # Cubs Theo says reality is it's not exactly a buyer's market for pitching so have to take risks

# Cubs Theo: "Scott Baker is a pitch maker. He can go out & execute game plan against the best lineups. ... (more)

... When he's commanding and healthy, he'll have success in this division."  # Cubs
#23 OF CHICAGO SPORTS:
         23 - SANDBERG
         23 - JORDAN
         23 - HESTER
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 3:23 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.

You're upset that they didn't give a guy coming off TJS a multi-year deal?  And you wonder why people often accuse you of arguing just for the sake of arguing?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 3:27 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


If he doesn't pitch well, you lose him as a free agent next year/no harm done
If he pitches well, you trade him
If he pitches well and you want to keep him long term, you resign him


Baez has "top-shelf bat speed," according to one National League scout who recently saw him play. "I haven't seen that type of bat speed this year outside of the big leagues. It's pure, unadulterated, just violent bat-speed."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 3:28 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



Grandpaboy1967 wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
SPOONER wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: What are the posters basing this being a good deal ? They should have signed him for at least a 2 year deal coming off a major injury and missing 2012. 2013 will be more of a rehab year while 2014 will be the season he will be back to full strength.

So is the hope trading him this summer for prospects ? Otherwise you paid him to rehab this year.

Did anyone else already know 2007 wouldn't like the deal before they even opened the thread?

If they had signed him to a 2 year deal you'd have posted that someone coming off TJS hasn't proven themselves yet so they shouldn't have committed two years and 10 million bucks to him, tying up all that payroll.
I'm just basing my comments on what has happened with pitchers coming off Tommy John surgery in the past. It is the second year you see the better results after building strength the 1st year back.

1 year deal possibilities -
pitches poorly and team cuts losses after the season - 5.5 million spent
pitches well and receive prospects in July
pitches ok - can't trade and need to find new starter in 2014
Isn't there also a possibility of "pitches well and gets stronger as the year progresses; decides he likes Chicago and signs a new deal with the Cubs?"  Or, "pitches well enough to merit a qualifying offer from the Cubs, which then guarantees the team a compensatory draft pick if he opts for free agency?"  Or do those not fit in with the narrative that Theo & Jed suck and all of their moves are bound to fail?
I'm not a Theo / Jed hater and will praise the good moves and question moves that I think don't improve the team.

I guess there is the 4th option of he pitches well and they offer an extension. He will be 32 next year and at the end of his prime years. I think it is more like he would want to become a free agent to get the best deal.

Only 8 players received qualifying offers this year and I'm not sure he would receive a 13+ million dollar qualify offer from a rebuilding team.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 3:39 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 


There is one other option that nobody addressed. He has a good season helping the Cubs make a playoff push.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:03 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



absolutebadger wrote: There is one other option that nobody addressed. He has a good season helping the Cubs make a playoff push.

Do you really believe that ???
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:24 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote:
absolutebadger wrote: There is one other option that nobody addressed. He has a good season helping the Cubs make a playoff push.

Do you really believe that ???
I think there is a chance that the Cubs could be buyers at the deadline. With the way the team is constructed right now it may only be 10%, but if they add a big bat in the middle of the lineup, that could jump to 20%. If Garza, Baker and Vizcaino are all healthy it could be 30-35%
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:37 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



absolutebadger wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
absolutebadger wrote: There is one other option that nobody addressed. He has a good season helping the Cubs make a playoff push.

Do you really believe that ???
I think there is a chance that the Cubs could be buyers at the deadline. With the way the team is constructed right now it may only be 10%, but if they add a big bat in the middle of the lineup, that could jump to 20%. If Garza, Baker and Vizcaino are all healthy it could be 30-35%
How are they getting this big bat if you don't want the team spending money ?
Vizcaino has already been put on a 100 inning limit.
As bad as the pitching was last year the offense ranked lower.
Even your 10% guess is a bit optimistic with the current roster
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:50 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



cubs2007 wrote:
absolutebadger wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
absolutebadger wrote: There is one other option that nobody addressed. He has a good season helping the Cubs make a playoff push.

Do you really believe that ???
I think there is a chance that the Cubs could be buyers at the deadline. With the way the team is constructed right now it may only be 10%, but if they add a big bat in the middle of the lineup, that could jump to 20%. If Garza, Baker and Vizcaino are all healthy it could be 30-35%
How are they getting this big bat if you don't want the team spending money ?
Vizcaino has already been put on a 100 inning limit.
As bad as the pitching was last year the offense ranked lower.
Even your 10% guess is a bit optimistic with the current roster
Noone said the team wasn't going to spend money. They just said they didn't want to spend it stupidly. They were fine shelling out $30+M for Soler. They did offer 6yr/$32M for Cespedes, over $20M for the posting fee for Ryu, more than that for the posting fee for Darvish. They are willing to pay real money. They are just not willing to offer 'damn the torpedos' money to outbid what they fear in the dark recesses of their mind that someone might bid for someone....that kind of mentality leads to an 8yr/$136M deal for Soriano. Just sayin...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:55 PM

Re: Cubs just signed Scott Baker to 1-yr deal per the Score... 



SportsGoblin wrote:
Noone said the team wasn't going to spend money. They just said they didn't want to spend it stupidly. They were fine shelling out $30+M for Soler. They did offer 6yr/$32M for Cespedes, over $20M for the posting fee for Ryu, more than that for the posting fee for Darvish. They are willing to pay real money. They are just not willing to offer 'damn the torpedos' money to outbid what they fear in the dark recesses of their mind that someone might bid for someone....that kind of mentality leads to an 8yr/$136M deal for Soriano. Just sayin...
Who would you be willing to sign for a 4+ year deal this off-season ?

The rest of the argument is worthless since no one has ever proposed to spend money stupidly.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >