Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Starters for 2013

Avatar

Posted: 11/7/2012 11:26 AM

Starters for 2013 


In - Samardzija, Garza, Wood

Biggest off-season need - Submit any names you read the Cubs have interest in

Rumors -
Free Agents -
Shaun Marcum
Brandon McCarthy

Possible Trades -
Hellickson
Masterson
Johnson
Bauer
Jurrjens

International -
Hyun-jin Ryu

Last edited 11/8/2012 8:57 AM by cubs2007

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 10:06 AM

Re: Starters for 2013 


In all of my scouring of the web, all I have found thus far is the blip about Dempster and a lot of baseball pundits' speculations about how some lower-priced pitchers 'match' the Cubs' needs. There's really not much out there yet: it's still early on.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”  ~Albert Einstein

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 11:08 AM

Re: Starters for 2013 



mindbodyspirit wrote: In all of my scouring of the web, all I have found thus far is the blip about Dempster and a lot of baseball pundits' speculations about how some lower-priced pitchers 'match' the Cubs' needs. There's really not much out there yet: it's still early on.

Marcum & McCarthy have been the hot names and they may become too expensive in their demands of money/years for the current stop gap approach.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 11:21 AM

Re: Starters for 2013 



cubs2007 wrote:
mindbodyspirit wrote: In all of my scouring of the web, all I have found thus far is the blip about Dempster and a lot of baseball pundits' speculations about how some lower-priced pitchers 'match' the Cubs' needs. There's really not much out there yet: it's still early on.

Marcum & McCarthy have been the hot names and they may become too expensive in their demands of money/years for the current stop gap approach.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO approach pitching with less of a "stop gap" mentality considering the pitching in the system is at least as far away as the position prospects, probably farther.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them spend a little more money/years on guys like Marcum or McCarthy as long as they don't become untradeable.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see them give guys like Greinke, Sanchez and Jackson a hard look (well maybe Greinke).  The main problem in my mind is that convincing them to come to Chicago coming off 101 losses will be harder, which will mean the price will go up.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 1:00 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



zighawk73 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO approach pitching with less of a "stop gap" mentality considering the pitching in the system is at least as far away as the position prospects, probably farther.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them spend a little more money/years on guys like Marcum or McCarthy as long as they don't become untradeable.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see them give guys like Greinke, Sanchez and Jackson a hard look (well maybe Greinke).  The main problem in my mind is that convincing them to come to Chicago coming off 101 losses will be harder, which will mean the price will go up.
I would be surprised to see them sign a starting pitcher for more than 3 years. That will knock them out of the Greinke & Sanchez sweepstakes. They may look at Jackson but he will price himself beyond what they are comforatable paying.

The more you read and hear the more it seems like you need to find a player coming off an injury or down year they think can rebound while getting on the cheap for the hope of flipping in July.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 2:51 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 


Brandon mccarthy and trevor bauer would be great idea's... John lannon is expected to be non tender scott baker would not be  a horrible idea either
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 3:26 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



aschicubs34 wrote: Brandon mccarthy and trevor bauer would be great idea's... John lannon is expected to be non tender scott baker would not be  a horrible idea either
I'm wondering why the DBacks feel they need to move Bauer.  Are they selling high because of the market or did they not like something about him?  I haven't been following that story but I'd think he'd be too expensive for the Cubs prospect-wise.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 5:16 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 


I haven't read any news or rumors regarding him, but I think the cubs trade for SP Casey Kelly of the padres.
"Winning is us,'' Brown said. "That's what we do at Illinois."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/9/2012 8:12 AM

Re: Starters for 2013 


Liriano is a rumored free agent target

ESPN insider Jim Bowden said the team has an offer out to Francisco Liriano.

Last edited 11/9/2012 9:05 AM by cubs2007

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/9/2012 9:18 AM

Re: Starters for 2013 


Given our current situation I approve of their pursuit of Liriano.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/9/2012 9:35 AM

Re: Starters for 2013 


Liriano has walked 5 per 9 innings over the last 2 seasons
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/12/2012 2:31 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



cubs2007 wrote: In - Samardzija, Garza, Wood

Biggest off-season need - Submit any names you read the Cubs have interest in

Rumors -
Free Agents -
Shaun Marcum
Brandon McCarthy

Possible Trades -
Hellickson
Masterson
Johnson
Bauer
Jurrjens

International -
Hyun-jin Ryu
Bruce Levine adds possible names -
Garland
Feldman

Foxsports adds Cubs interest in -
Baker

Rumored Liriano offer

Ryu - off market to Dodgers

Last edited 11/12/2012 3:22 PM by cubs2007

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:03 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



cubs2007 wrote: In - Samardzija, Garza, Wood

Biggest off-season need - Submit any names you read the Cubs have interest in

Rumors -
Free Agents -
Shaun Marcum
Brandon McCarthy

Possible Trades -
Hellickson
Masterson
Johnson
Bauer
Jurrjens

International -
Hyun-jin Ryu
In - Samardzija, Garza, Wood and Baker
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:05 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



absolutebadger wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: In - Samardzija, Garza, Wood

Biggest off-season need - Submit any names you read the Cubs have interest in

Rumors -
Free Agents -
Shaun Marcum
Brandon McCarthy

Possible Trades -
Hellickson
Masterson
Johnson
Bauer
Jurrjens

International -
Hyun-jin Ryu
In - Samardzija, Garza, Wood and Baker
How many more starters need to be signed or traded for ? I would guess they need at least 2 more to provide depth for injuries and future trades.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/20/2012 2:36 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 


Royals signed Guthrie for 3 years - 25 million.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 12:38 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 


You have replaced Dempster & Maholm with Baker & Feldman. So far this is not an improvement any way you look at it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 12:43 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



cubs2007 wrote: You have replaced Dempster & Maholm with Baker & Feldman. So far this is not an improvement any way you look at it.
Why does this matter?!?! Newsflash: They will be terrible next year too!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 1:12 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



duke34 wrote:
cubs2007 wrote: You have replaced Dempster & Maholm with Baker & Feldman. So far this is not an improvement any way you look at it.
Why does this matter?!?! Newsflash: They will be terrible next year too!
Your right with signings like these. I thought the goal was to improve. At least they get a high draft pick again.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 1:36 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



cubs2007 wrote:
Your right with signings like these. I thought the goal was to improve. At least they get a high draft pick again.
banghead banghead banghead
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 1:41 PM

Re: Starters for 2013 



duke34 wrote:
cubs2007 wrote:
Your right with signings like these. I thought the goal was to improve. At least they get a high draft pick again.
banghead banghead banghead
You can't approve of every move these past 2 off seasons banghead banghead banghead
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >