Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 9  Next >

Fantasy Baseball 2014

Avatar

Posted: 2/9/2013 10:16 AM

Fantasy Baseball 2014 


Gentlemen,

It's time once again for the 7th season of ITO Fantasy Baseball! Quite the amazing feat we've accomplished here, keeping this thing going for almost a decade. Teams have come and gone, players have peaked and fallen, champions have been crowned and dethroned, and fun was had by all. It's an honor to be the commissioner of our league and I hope to help keep this league alive for many more years to come!

Now for the nitty-gritty....we have a few things on the agenda. Here they are:

1. We are looking to change our league's scoring settings. This has been debated for the past couple years. The main change is moving away from batting average + on-base percentage and replacing it with either on-base + sluggling OR batting average + on-base-plus-slugging.

Frankly, I have no idea which way to go. I'm slightly leaning towards OBP+SLG instead of AVG+OPS since OBP and SLG are more different from each other than AVG and OPS. The reason is because AVG is incorporated in to OPS via OBP whereas OBP and SLG have little to do with each other.

Let's try to settle this issue as soon as possible. This should be priority number one.

2. We are going to stick with 5 player adds per week. This worked well for us last year. A guy like me who likes to add and drop guys like Duquette and Showalter can get a little carried away. This keeps things reasonable and, again, worked well last year.

3. We are still keeping 8 players per team. I'm aware that we have talked about dropping the number to six but for this season we must keep it at 8 because everyone planned their rosters for keeping 8. However, we can discuss changing this for the future (even though I think 8 is a good number as each team is keeping roughly 1/3 of their previous year's roster).

4. You can view your 2012 roster here. Please try to get your keepers in as soon as possible. It's less work for me to get this done early. Also it helps people plan more thoroughly knowing who is off the board. Further, you can always let me know you want to swap people in and out all the way up to 24 hours before the draft.

5. Note that our two new managers, Jon and Stephen, are taking over PurplePoe and Ingles teams, respectively. Guys, make sure you understand that you're taking 8 players from those two rosters.

++

Off the top of my head, that's really all we are looking at. Here is the draft order (remember, it's flip-flopped...so first is RevTim, second is Ravens, third is Scooter, etc.). I think there were a few 1st round picks traded. Not gonna go and look now but, if so, that obviously changes the 1st round as the player receiving the pick will pick in the spot of the guy who originally held the pick. Yahoo automatically accounts for this when I start setting things up so I'll let you know the deal once all 20 of us are in the league.

http://i.imgur.com/aWOUOzY.png


That's about it! Let me know if you have any concerns and I look forward to draft day, which is (tentatively) Sun Mar 17 7:30pm EDT. Please, please, please let me know if this doesn't work as soon as humanly possible. Yahoo draft spots fill up quick and I want to get the draft date and time settled early so we get a good time and day.

Good luck and let's have a great season! excited

Last edited 12/26/2013 11:51 AM by ripken4prez

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/10/2013 7:14 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Stephen and Jon, welcome to the league!

Rip, I'll have my keepers as we get closer to the deadline, and I'll post my updated team name once I figure out something clever.

Throw the 2 seamer for strikes dammit.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/11/2013 2:54 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Not a very strong keeper list, but the team is trending upwards. No more Bob Dino in my keeper list.

OF Wil Myers
SP Jarrod Parker
2B Ben Zobrist
3B Martin Prado
CL Jim Johnson
SP Mike Minor
OF Ben Revere
C Victor Martinez

Edited: Mike Minor in for Brandon Belt

Last edited 2/27/2013 8:38 PM by dmason85

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/11/2013 6:10 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Man I forgot how good my team was last year. Its going to take a little while to choose my keepers. Deadline on that?

As for the stat change, I'm not partial to either one but I would like to see a debate and choose from the best argument.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/11/2013 9:12 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Benking check the other fantasy thread, and also the one on the league potentially to see the arguments! :)
"This team's gonna be very good in a hurry."- Peter Gammons
Photobucket
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/11/2013 9:18 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 



benking38 wrote: Man I forgot how good my team was last year. Its going to take a little while to choose my keepers. Deadline on that?

As for the stat change, I'm not partial to either one but I would like to see a debate and choose from the best argument.
I mentioned above that you can choose/change keepers up to 24 hours before the draft.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/11/2013 10:57 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


For the time being, my team name has been changed to Magik Birds. I figure it would be easier to identify the team's association with myself as a poster here.

Throw the 2 seamer for strikes dammit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/11/2013 11:57 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 




---------------------------------------------
--- ripken4prez wrote:


benking38 wrote: Man I forgot how good my team was last year. Its going to take a little while to choose my keepers. Deadline on that?

As for the stat change, I'm not partial to either one but I would like to see a debate and choose from the best argument.
I mentioned above that you can choose/change keepers up to 24 hours before the draft.

---------------------------------------------

Shows how well I read.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/12/2013 12:12 AM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


I think I'm leaning towards obp and slg. The only problem with that is it will really over value power hitters. Typically the category they are lacking in is average while they rank near the top in nearly everything else besides sb and maybe runs. However, I do believe obp is the superior stat in baseball and should be used. Preparing a team without average as a category will make it a bit more difficult, but since when was this league easy?

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/12/2013 7:06 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Remember, OBP has average rolled in to it (OBP = hits + walks + hbp).

Typically we think of a guy with, say, a 280/360/450 as a very solid hitter since he has decent power and solid on-base skills.

Well keep in mind a guy can still have a .360 OBP with minimal walks....he'd just have to have a very good batting average....say 330/360/450.

And a guy can have a relatively high SLG with minimal HR. Tons of doubles and triples will make up for the lack of HR.

Think 2011 Pablo Sandoval (high OBP due to high BA) as an example of the 'minimal walks' guy. Think 2011/2012 Starlin Castro (around 30+ doubles and around 10 or so triples) as an example of 'high slugging due to lots of XBH.'

Shoot, look at Carl Crawford. Never hit more than 19 HR in a season but has a career SLG of .441 and regularly was well above .450 due to so many doubles and triples.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/15/2013 12:55 PM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Doesn't matter what the stats are but we should probably have a hard date to make the decision what our stats will be so that we can make a decision on who our keepers are and to make trades before March 17th. I propose making Feb. 28th the deadline for stat confirmation so it gives everyone at least 2 weeks to make trades and put together a final keeper list.

I smell tacos...

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/16/2013 9:46 AM

RE: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Still waiting on Gomi, Cowboy, and dabuscuits to join.

Please get on it fellas!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/19/2013 12:17 PM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


I am running two fantasy leagues this year and I have had members of this board join in the past.  PM me for details.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/20/2013 8:01 AM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 



ripken4prez wrote: Gentlemen,

It's time once again for the 7th season of ITO Fantasy Baseball! Quite the amazing feat we've accomplished here, keeping this thing going for almost a decade. Teams have come and gone, players have peaked and fallen, champions have been crowned and dethroned, and fun was had by all. It's an honor to be the commissioner of our league and I hope to help keep this league alive for many more years to come!

Now for the nitty-gritty....we have a few things on the agenda. Here they are:

1. We are looking to change our league's scoring settings. This has been debated for the past couple years. The main change is moving away from batting average + on-base percentage and replacing it with either on-base + sluggling OR batting average + on-base-plus-slugging.

Frankly, I have no idea which way to go. I'm slightly leaning towards OBP+SLG instead of AVG+OPS since OBP and SLG are more different from each other than AVG and OPS. The reason is because AVG is incorporated in to OPS via OBP whereas OBP and SLG have little to do with each other.

Let's try to settle this issue as soon as possible. This should be priority number one.

2. We are going to stick with 5 player adds per week. This worked well for us last year. A guy like me who likes to add and drop guys like Duquette and Showalter can get a little carried away. This keeps things reasonable and, again, worked well last year.

3. We are still keeping 8 players per team. I'm aware that we have talked about dropping the number to six but for this season we must keep it at 8 because everyone planned their rosters for keeping 8. However, we can discuss changing this for the future (even though I think 8 is a good number as each team is keeping roughly 1/3 of their previous year's roster).

4. You can view your 2012 roster here. Please try to get your keepers in as soon as possible. It's less work for me to get this done early. Also it helps people plan more thoroughly knowing who is off the board. Further, you can always let me know you want to swap people in and out all the way up to 24 hours before the draft.

5. Note that our two new managers, Jon and Stephen, are taking over PurplePoe and Ingles teams, respectively. Guys, make sure you understand that you're taking 8 players from those two rosters.

++

Off the top of my head, that's really all we are looking at. Here is the draft order (remember, it's flip-flopped...so first is RevTim, second is Ravens, third is Scooter, etc.). I think there were a few 1st round picks traded. Not gonna go and look now but, if so, that obviously changes the 1st round as the player receiving the pick will pick in the spot of the guy who originally held the pick. Yahoo automatically accounts for this when I start setting things up so I'll let you know the deal once all 20 of us are in the league.




That's about it! Let me know if you have any concerns and I look forward to draft day, which is (tentatively) Sun Mar 17 7:30pm EDT. Please, please, please let me know if this doesn't work as soon as humanly possible. Yahoo draft spots fill up quick and I want to get the draft date and time settled early so we get a good time and day.

Good luck and let's have a great season! excited
Cool. Who are Jon and Stephen? SJ, correct? Jon = BalOrioles?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/20/2013 11:05 AM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


I am Stephen, yep!

I smell tacos...

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/21/2013 7:23 AM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


I have room in my league if interested:

on yahoo:

 (ID# 78480)

password: baseball
The Thomas & AJ signings were actually very good value deals. And the B.J. deal actually gave us pretty good value overall as well.-Uglyone 7/22/10
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/22/2013 10:09 PM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Thanks, Wamco.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/23/2013 8:32 AM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 



ave4yobwoc wrote:

Cool. Who are Jon and Stephen? SJ, correct? Jon = BalOrioles?
Jon is a new poster here. He took over for PP.

I need DB and you to join when you can do so. Once you join up I can start getting all the settings in place.

Last edited 2/23/2013 8:33 AM by ripken4prez

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/25/2013 8:05 AM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


Cool, username?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/25/2013 8:30 PM

Re: Fantasy Baseball 2013 


keepers:
Michael Cuddyer 
Alex Gordon
JJ Hardy
Austin Jackson

Joe Mauer
Ichiro
Kris Medlen
Hiroki Kuroda

howdy
-verycoolnin

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 9  Next >