Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow

Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 2:06 PM

Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


FYI

Jimmy Clausen to follow Cutler against Jaguars

Not really a surprise; just thought I'd share.  Will be interesting to see how he does.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 2:20 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



skepticalbear wrote: FYI

Jimmy Clausen to follow Cutler against Jaguars

Not really a surprise; just thought I'd share.  Will be interesting to see how he does.
He clearly looked better then Palmer. The ball was just crisper out of his hand and seemed to stretch the defense a bit more. Clausen was a disaster in Carolina but that wasn't for a lack of ability. He has enough talent to be a solid backup QB in the NFL. Perhaps a fresh start with some talent and a good coaching staff will bring it out of him.
"Illusions Micheal, illusions. Tricks are something that a whore does for money.....or cocaine". - Gob Bluth
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 2:49 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


Yeah, at this point it's all but official that Clausen is going to be the guy.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:10 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


I think Clausen is hungry. He came into the league and looked like he would be a starting QB for 10 years. He didn't cut it and now is down to his last, best chance to stay in the NFL. He is probably very coachable, a perfect Trestman project.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:24 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:26 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.
"Illusions Micheal, illusions. Tricks are something that a whore does for money.....or cocaine". - Gob Bluth
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:31 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.

Seems like the logical outcome at this point.  I don't see Palmer's career going anywhere, and he really doesn't have all that much NFL starting experience, so the only advantage to keeping him is that he's been in the offense longer than Fales.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:38 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


I'm going to get blasted for this but... 

along with the Clausen signing, Fales project and with the contract Cutler signed, the front office is in good position to let Cutler lose/trade/release if they need to within a season or two tops.
Cubfan41 wrote:
DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:12 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


Well that's because it's a crazy suggestion lol.

The Clausen signing on a 1 year prove it type of deal and Emery drafting a 6th round QB, make absolutely zero impact on Jay Cutler's future with the Bears.

Now if Emery were to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, THEN there could be talk about trading Cutler in the near future.


---------------------------------------------
--- DaBallCoach wrote:

I'm going to get blasted for this but... 

along with the Clausen signing, Fales project and with the contract Cutler signed, the front office is in good position to let Cutler lose/trade/release if they need to within a season or two tops.
Cubfan41 wrote:
DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:20 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



Bearsfan247 wrote: Well that's because it's a crazy suggestion lol.

The Clausen signing on a 1 year prove it type of deal and Emery drafting a 6th round QB, make absolutely zero impact on Jay Cutler's future with the Bears.

Now if Emery were to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, THEN there could be talk about trading Cutler in the near future.


---------------------------------------------
--- DaBallCoach wrote:

I'm going to get blasted for this but... 

along with the Clausen signing, Fales project and with the contract Cutler signed, the front office is in good position to let Cutler lose/trade/release if they need to within a season or two tops.
Cubfan41 wrote:
DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.


---------------------------------------------
Agreed. Cutler is the Bears QB no matter what for the next few seasons. If he stumbles and Fales shows promise as a potential successor, then that can be revisited then. Until then it's just fodder on sports radio and message boards....
"Illusions Micheal, illusions. Tricks are something that a whore does for money.....or cocaine". - Gob Bluth
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:25 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



Not true according to people who are there reporting to us the happenings of such things.

But maybe Clauson surprising us could change that.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:28 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



No reason to blast you unless you are saying that it will happen, which I know you're not.

You're saying the option is there, and you're right. After a couple years Cutlers deal becomes pretty FO friendly, exactly how they intended it. It was put together pretty well in my opinion.

---------------------------------------------
--- DaBallCoach wrote:

I'm going to get blasted for this but... 

along with the Clausen signing, Fales project and with the contract Cutler signed, the front office is in good position to let Cutler lose/trade/release if they need to within a season or two tops.
Cubfan41 wrote:
DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:30 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



FloridaBearsFan wrote:
Not true according to people who are there reporting to us the happenings of such things.

But maybe Clauson surprising us could change that.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.

---------------------------------------------
Link? Because I heard otherwise but that could obviously have changed.
"Illusions Micheal, illusions. Tricks are something that a whore does for money.....or cocaine". - Gob Bluth
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:42 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


Clausen impressed with his field presence / timing / decision making. No 'stare downs' and quick with the eyes finding the open receivers. Even his 'off' throws were many times the best choice. Seems he's the more mobile between him and JP, too.
Also, looked pretty sharp when considering he's just had two months to learn the playbook.

Palmer wasn't terrible, but he did get lucky a few times ( that goal-line incompletion could just as easily been ruled a fumble ).

Fales showed that he does have some arm, and could have had along TD had Bellamy not hesitated slightly.

[ Maybe we have another 'emergency' or trick play QB, with Zack Miller ?].
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:56 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



Sorry, can't link subscriber articles.

Not sure you need to subscribe though to know that Fales was never a lock to make the team in absence of an absolute epic face plant. Should be pretty obvious.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


FloridaBearsFan wrote:
Not true according to people who are there reporting to us the happenings of such things.

But maybe Clauson surprising us could change that.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.

---------------------------------------------
Link? Because I heard otherwise but that could obviously have changed.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 5:05 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 



FloridaBearsFan wrote:
Sorry, can't link subscriber articles.

Not sure you need to subscribe though to know that Fales was never a lock to make the team in absence of an absolute epic face plant. Should be pretty obvious.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


FloridaBearsFan wrote:
Not true according to people who are there reporting to us the happenings of such things.

But maybe Clauson surprising us could change that.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.

---------------------------------------------
Link? Because I heard otherwise but that could obviously have changed.

---------------------------------------------
So they drafted him just to cut him and had no plans on trying to develop him as a long term backup even if he starts out on the practice squad. Got it thanks!
"Illusions Micheal, illusions. Tricks are something that a whore does for money.....or cocaine". - Gob Bluth
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 5:11 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 




So drafting him to cut him, and him not being a lock to make the team mean the same things?

Now you're just being silly little Johnny.
---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


FloridaBearsFan wrote:
Sorry, can't link subscriber articles.

Not sure you need to subscribe though to know that Fales was never a lock to make the team in absence of an absolute epic face plant. Should be pretty obvious.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


FloridaBearsFan wrote:
Not true according to people who are there reporting to us the happenings of such things.

But maybe Clauson surprising us could change that.

---------------------------------------------
--- Cubfan41 wrote:


DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.

---------------------------------------------
Link? Because I heard otherwise but that could obviously have changed.

---------------------------------------------
So they drafted him just to cut him and had no plans on trying to develop him as a long term backup even if he starts out on the practice squad. Got it thanks!

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:52 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


I am wondering if Clausen is the back up going forward how quickly would Emery think about extending his contract and avoiding having to find an other vet back up next off season. Clausen is only 26 I think. He might make a nice "handcuff" to Jay in the future.
____________________

"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:57 PM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


Yep, it's nice to be in this position.


---------------------------------------------
--- FloridaBearsFan wrote:


No reason to blast you unless you are saying that it will happen, which I know you're not.

You're saying the option is there, and you're right. After a couple years Cutlers deal becomes pretty FO friendly, exactly how they intended it. It was put together pretty well in my opinion.

---------------------------------------------
--- DaBallCoach wrote:

I'm going to get blasted for this but... 

along with the Clausen signing, Fales project and with the contract Cutler signed, the front office is in good position to let Cutler lose/trade/release if they need to within a season or two tops.
Cubfan41 wrote:
DaBallCoach wrote: Interesting...

If Clausen is the #2 then, Fales most likely makes the roster and the Bears keep Palmer on speed dial in case of an injury.
Fales was going to make the roster unless he fell flat on his face which between the reports coming out of camp and his first preseason game has overall not happen at all. Emery didn't give Trestman a project rookie QB for the hell of it.


---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
"Serenity Now"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/14/2014 12:01 AM

Re: Clausen second in rotation vs Jags tomorrow 


I will go on record thinking that Clausen is a dbag but was humbled and now has a second chance. He has talent and now has the motivation.

He is nowhere near the talent cutler is but could be a nice backup for years to come. Not sure I ever want him to be our starter though headed into a season.
"Serenity Now"
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >