Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Clausen

Posted: 7/28/2014 4:23 AM

Clausen 


So.... when they talk about the big drop off at the QB position...with all their doomsday scenarios... what were they thinking last year about McCown before he played in a game. His best years he never had a QB rating over 75. Then he played lights out.

Why can't Jimmy Clausen do it under Trestman?
Reply | Quote
  • edjy71
  • Pro Bowler
  • 1842 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 5:26 AM

Re: Clausen 


If you think about it, it seemed kind of foolhardy to put so much faith in Palmer a guy who has essentially been a career 3'rd stringer. At least with McCown you can point to earlier times in his career where he had some success and showed some potential. He was a 3'rd round pick, that's a fairly significant investment in a player so it at least points to him having a base level of NFL talent.

Palmer on the other hand is a 6'th rounder who has essentially never played in the NFL. It's surprising to me that Emery's decision to rely on him hasn't been met with more skepticism.

I suppose it's for two reasons. One, Trestman is considered a "QB whisperer" which grants him the benifit of the doubt. Two, there is this prevailing notion that since McCown, a career journyman, could step in and be effective in Trestman's offense then anyone can do it.

Logically though, it makes sense that Clausen would outpreform Palmer. He's a more skilled passer.

Last edited 7/28/2014 5:49 AM by edjy71

Reply | Quote
  • gcoop33
  • Hall of Famer
  • 11066 posts this site

Posted: 7/28/2014 6:03 AM

Re: Clausen 


I have the same amount of confidence in the backup this year as I did last year at this time. Hope to be wrong again.

However I am pretty confident it will be Clausen and not Palmer.
Reply | Quote
  • edjy71
  • Pro Bowler
  • 1842 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 6:33 AM

Re: Clausen 


I wonder if Fales has a realistic shot at the #2 job? The line on him seems to be that he's a technically proficient pocket passer with a sub-par NFL skillset. Guys like this tend to almost always amount to nothing.

Once in a blue moon though, a player with sub-par physical traits is able to overcome their shortcomings and become effective.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:35 AM

Re: Clausen 



tafkayeah wrote: 

Why can't Jimmy Clausen do it under Trestman?
Because a sample size of one is not definitive proof of anything.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:52 AM

Re: Clausen 



DoubleDown11 wrote:
tafkayeah wrote: 

Why can't Jimmy Clausen do it under Trestman?
Because a sample size of one is not definitive proof of anything.
Except that we have much more than a sample size of one! He was known as the "QB whisperer" long before he came to the Bears. His work with Rich Gannon & Anthony Calvillo is pretty impressive, if we are looking at QB stats.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:38 AM

Re: Clausen 


I spoke to Fales' dad (David Sr) recently before TC began, and he told me that it's a wide open competition for that #2 job and the Fales is being given a realistic shot for the job.

He also said that his son just thinks the world of Trestman, Cutler and Palmer. All three are extremely helpful and supportive of the rookie. Thought that was awesome to hear considering all the chatter about Cutler being a total douche.

I still think his accuracy more than makes up for his average arm strength. McCown didn't have a ton of arm strength last season, but he got the job done by playing smart and making the right throws.

With that said, Fales was a 6th round pick. He's got just as good of a chance to be sent packing before the season starts, as he does making this team as a 2nd or even 3rd stringer.

---------------------------------------------
--- edjy71 wrote:

I wonder if Fales has a realistic shot at the #2 job? The line on him seems to be that he's a technically proficient pocket passer with a sub-par NFL skillset. Guys like this tend to almost always amount to nothing.

Once in a blue moon though, a player with sub-par physical traits is able to overcome their shortcomings and become effective.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:43 AM

Re: Clausen 




Thanks for,he insight, how domyoumknow his dad?
---------------------------------------------
--- Bearsfan247 wrote:

I spoke to Fales' dad (David Sr) recently before TC began, and he told me that it's a wide open competition for that #2 job and the Fales is being given a realistic shot for the job.

He also said that his son just thinks the world of Trestman, Cutler and Palmer. All three are extremely helpful and supportive of the rookie. Thought that was awesome to hear considering all the chatter about Cutler being a total douche.

I still think his accuracy more than makes up for his average arm strength. McCown didn't have a ton of arm strength last season, but he got the job done by playing smart and making the right throws.

With that said, Fales was a 6th round pick. He's got just as good of a chance to be sent packing before the season starts, as he does making this team as a 2nd or even 3rd stringer.

---------------------------------------------
--- edjy71 wrote:

I wonder if Fales has a realistic shot at the #2 job? The line on him seems to be that he's a technically proficient pocket passer with a sub-par NFL skillset. Guys like this tend to almost always amount to nothing.

Once in a blue moon though, a player with sub-par physical traits is able to overcome their shortcomings and become effective.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
"Serenity Now"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:46 AM

Re: Clausen 


My wife works with Fales' stepmom. She introduced us.


---------------------------------------------
--- Northsiders wrote:



Thanks for,he insight, how domyoumknow his dad?
---------------------------------------------
--- Bearsfan247 wrote:

I spoke to Fales' dad (David Sr) recently before TC began, and he told me that it's a wide open competition for that #2 job and the Fales is being given a realistic shot for the job.

He also said that his son just thinks the world of Trestman, Cutler and Palmer. All three are extremely helpful and supportive of the rookie. Thought that was awesome to hear considering all the chatter about Cutler being a total douche.

I still think his accuracy more than makes up for his average arm strength. McCown didn't have a ton of arm strength last season, but he got the job done by playing smart and making the right throws.

With that said, Fales was a 6th round pick. He's got just as good of a chance to be sent packing before the season starts, as he does making this team as a 2nd or even 3rd stringer.

---------------------------------------------
--- edjy71 wrote:

I wonder if Fales has a realistic shot at the #2 job? The line on him seems to be that he's a technically proficient pocket passer with a sub-par NFL skillset. Guys like this tend to almost always amount to nothing.

Once in a blue moon though, a player with sub-par physical traits is able to overcome their shortcomings and become effective.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
  • edjy71
  • Pro Bowler
  • 1842 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 1:23 PM

Re: Clausen 


That all sounds good, Fales seems like he has a great attitude and supporting cast and all that good stuff.  But I think a more accurate way of measuring Fales chances is seeing how many 1'st/2'nd teams reps he gets in practice.

I've made that mistake in the past where I overestimated a players chances based on potential rather than looking at what was actually happening.

The rule of thumb I use now is if they're not at least on the second team and getting some 1'st team reps, they're probably not going to make the team.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 9:01 PM

Re: Clausen 


Guess those people never to Josh last year than.
Bearsfan247 wrote: I spoke to Fales' dad (David Sr) recently before TC began, and he told me that it's a wide open competition for that #2 job and the Fales is being given a realistic shot for the job.

He also said that his son just thinks the world of Trestman, Cutler and Palmer. All three are extremely helpful and supportive of the rookie. Thought that was awesome to hear considering all the chatter about Cutler being a total douche.

I still think his accuracy more than makes up for his average arm strength. McCown didn't have a ton of arm strength last season, but he got the job done by playing smart and making the right throws.

With that said, Fales was a 6th round pick. He's got just as good of a chance to be sent packing before the season starts, as he does making this team as a 2nd or even 3rd stringer.

---------------------------------------------
--- edjy71 wrote:

I wonder if Fales has a realistic shot at the #2 job? The line on him seems to be that he's a technically proficient pocket passer with a sub-par NFL skillset. Guys like this tend to almost always amount to nothing.

Once in a blue moon though, a player with sub-par physical traits is able to overcome their shortcomings and become effective.

---------------------------------------------

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/29/2014 4:08 AM

Re: Clausen 



edjy71 wrote: I wonder if Fales has a realistic shot at the #2 job? The line on him seems to be that he's a technically proficient pocket passer with a sub-par NFL skillset. Guys like this tend to almost always amount to nothing.

Once in a blue moon though, a player with sub-par physical traits is able to overcome their shortcomings and become effective.
"sub-par NFL skillset."  You mean (Fales) lacks a strong throwing arm.  I wouldn't say he would amount to nothing if there is any way he can boost his arm strength to get better. The plus for him is that he has more accuracy than other QBs that have more arm strength.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/29/2014 12:14 PM

Re: Clausen 


Reportedly, Jim Harbaugh rated Fales a top 5 QB in this years draft class. Presumably, that would put Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, and Carr the other 4 ( and personally, I think Fales is better than at least Carr ).
It's always possible for some of the lower drafted QB's to break out or develop: Savage, Garoppolo, Mettenburger, Murray. 6th round a value pick for Fales.

Still, I think he lands on the PS this year. #2 QB a competition between Palmer and Clausen. .
So Bears have Jay and one back-up, but Jordan Lynch makes the 53 and is the emergency QB that hopefully is never needed.
Reply | Quote
  • edjy71
  • Pro Bowler
  • 1842 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/29/2014 12:43 PM

Re: Clausen 


I agree that Fales will definitely be on the PS if they can get him there. Problem is, will he show enough in pre-season to where he ends up in no-man's land. Not good enough to warrant a roster spot but good enough to entice another team to claim him.

Like San Fran, for example. If Harbaugh thought he was the 5'th best QB, surely he would be worth claiming. Also consider that Emery seems to favor going with two QB's on the 53-man.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/29/2014 12:44 PM

Re: Clausen 



GOAT34forever wrote: Reportedly, Jim Harbaugh rated Fales a top 5 QB in this years draft class. Presumably, that would put Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, and Carr the other 4 ( and personally, I think Fales is better than at least Carr ).
It's always possible for some of the lower drafted QB's to break out or develop: Savage, Garoppolo, Mettenburger, Murray. 6th round a value pick for Fales.

Still, I think he lands on the PS this year. #2 QB a competition between Palmer and Clausen. .
So Bears have Jay and one back-up, but Jordan Lynch makes the 53 and is the emergency QB that hopefully is never needed.

I agree. I think it's Cutler, Clausen or Palmer, and Fales on the PS.

If I'm putting money on it, Palmer gets cut. They aren't keeping 4 QBs.



 

Reply | Quote
  • edjy71
  • Pro Bowler
  • 1842 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/29/2014 12:58 PM

Re: Clausen 



jimmyray78 wrote: I think it's Cutler, Clausen or Palmer, and Fales on the PS.

Yup, I think that's the way Emery want's it to happen.
Reply | Quote