Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood

Posted: 7/14/2013 6:49 PM

Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


He said on twitter that Wood will make one minor league start and then join the Braves rotation sometime after the All Star break.

I'm guessing Beachy should be ready in a few weeks.


How is this scenario gonna unfold?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/14/2013 8:12 PM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Whose place is Wood taking
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2013 9:20 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


I'll take a guess and this is IF (a big IF) Beachy is ready to return from rehab:
1. Wood replaces Medlen in rotation
2. Medlen goes to the bullpen (where he has some experience)
3. If Wood falters and Beachy is ready, then Beachy replaces Wood, with Medlen available as his 'tag team' partner. Wood may still be sent down anyway (since he has options) to give Beachy a chance back in the rotation.
4. If Wood and Beachy both impress, then both may be kept in the rotation and a trade worked out for Maholm OR (if nothing good is presented) moved to the bullpen as another lefty reliever. Also depends if Teheran doesn't show any regression or fatigue, which would then see him sent to AAA and Maholm kept in the rotation.
5. Rumors will fly about trading Hudson but doubtful anything will happen due to his history with Braves, age and performance.
6. FW still finds one top notch reliever to add to the bullpen to strengthen it.

Rotation (if everyone is healthy and performing): Minor, Teheran, Hudson, Wood, Beachy
Bullpen: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Medlen, trade acquisition**, Varvaro, Maholm* or Ayala*  

Dominant? No, but still strong with plenty of guys able to pitch some innings and get outs.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2013 9:43 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Leave Medlen alone!! Using him for long relief is only going to weaken the rotation. His ERA is still good and he pitches deep into games.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/14/2013 10:48 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


this makes zero sense.  medlen is solid. period.

this almost sounds like an alex wood trade showcase.  remember what i said about wren trading away pitching.  be scared.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/15/2013 5:26 AM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 



hamburgler wrote: this makes zero sense.  medlen is solid. period.

this almost sounds like an alex wood trade showcase.  remember what i said about wren trading away pitching.  be scared.
No. Who in the world would we trade Wood for? He's not going anywhere.

#VoteFreddie

Reply | Quote
  • OcalaBrave
  • High School Scout
  • 451 posts this site

Posted: 7/15/2013 12:16 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Mike Minor, hopefully we can all agree, will be in the rotation through 2017.  Brandon Beachy, if he is healthy, should be in the rotation through 2016.  Finally, unless there is significant regression, Julio Teheran will be in the rotation through 2018.  Beyond these three spots, I think the Braves have a bunch of options.

Paul Maholm
 and Tim Hudson are likely done at the end of this year.  I could see one of them coming back as a 5th starter to mentor the young guys.  Think Charlie Liebrandt in the early 90s.  I'd say it is likely Hudson, but both may price themselves out of Atlanta. Medlan is the wild card in my view.  How do the Braves view him?  If they think his long term role is somewhere other than their rotation, they should move him.  Arbitration will see him paid like a starter... not a 6-8 inning reliever.   Wood is the heir apparent to a spot in the rotation next season.  I don't think he is dealt unless we are looking at a starter to pair with Minor this year and for the foreseeable future. 

So, who would be left should injury occur?  Cody Martin, Gus Schlosser, Sean Gilmartin?

I wonder what the White Sox would be looking to get on Chris Sale.  They have him tied up reasonably for the long term so there may not be much interest.  Still, The rotation would look pretty good with Minor, Beachy/Teheran & Sale.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2013 3:43 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


I think Wood will replace Maholm while Hudson will stick around on a one or two year deal to mentor the young pitchers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/15/2013 7:06 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Lots of pitching, even with the injuries, just have to find the right combination for rotation and bullpen.
Reply | Quote
  • Iman2
  • Braves Member
  • 42 posts this site

Posted: 7/15/2013 9:12 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Didn't Bowman say Wood will "return" to the Braves rotation.  I think he meant return to the staff, just said it wrong.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2013 9:17 AM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Tough to not read more into the situation than what management wants said publicly, but it's pretty hard not to get the feeling that Fredi, McDowell, and Wren are convinced Wood is ready to be able to give the team at least the same production they've been getting from Maholm over the last month.

I assumed all along that Maholm was going to be dangled by the break - but that it would be simply to make room for Beachy once he was ready. You have to assume that this move is being made for a couple reasons. They feel confident enough after watching Alex at this level that they are willing to give him the ball once every five days now (once he gets his pitch count back up) even IF Beachy isn't ready, and (and possibly more importantly) sending him down to get stretched back out will ultimately result in keeping him from attaining Super Two status following next season. (I haven't looked closely at the number of days he's had on the roster yet, but have to assume that is at least a contributing factor).

The overriding hope is that the experience Alex and Julio have gained this season with the Maholm and Hudson insurance policies around is enough to allow the flexibility to...

1.) Trade Maholm in a weak SP market to replace the prospect(s) they wind up losing in any potential deal for another RP (or two) to help make a push this season.

and

2.) Allow them even more financial flexibility moving forward if Alex is successful by choosing not to re-sign Huddy following this season. That money would be better spent on renewals/arbitration raises/extensions if they are comfortable with a 2014 rotation of Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Wood, and Teheran.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/16/2013 12:52 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Why would we have Wood make two STARTS in Gwinnett only to shove him back to the bullpen again?


Tom Hart noted that we changed the order of the rotation so that Wood's return to ATL would align with Medlen's spot in the order....

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/17/2013 8:26 AM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


I thought the same thing....this is a move to let ppl know to call on Maholm.

IMO Maholm is more valuable to others than us.  I don't think he's a playoff pitcher.  I think he's the type of guy that is really valuable to get you to the playoffs.

The SP market is weak.  Maholm isn't that expensive, heck we even have some money where we could pay him the rest of the year if it increased the return.  The Braves need to stock up on some high ceiling hitters IMO.
clvclv wrote: Tough to not read more into the situation than what management wants said publicly, but it's pretty hard not to get the feeling that Fredi, McDowell, and Wren are convinced Wood is ready to be able to give the team at least the same production they've been getting from Maholm over the last month.

I assumed all along that Maholm was going to be dangled by the break - but that it would be simply to make room for Beachy once he was ready. You have to assume that this move is being made for a couple reasons. They feel confident enough after watching Alex at this level that they are willing to give him the ball once every five days now (once he gets his pitch count back up) even IF Beachy isn't ready, and (and possibly more importantly) sending him down to get stretched back out will ultimately result in keeping him from attaining Super Two status following next season. (I haven't looked closely at the number of days he's had on the roster yet, but have to assume that is at least a contributing factor).

The overriding hope is that the experience Alex and Julio have gained this season with the Maholm and Hudson insurance policies around is enough to allow the flexibility to...

1.) Trade Maholm in a weak SP market to replace the prospect(s) they wind up losing in any potential deal for another RP (or two) to help make a push this season.

and

2.) Allow them even more financial flexibility moving forward if Alex is successful by choosing not to re-sign Huddy following this season. That money would be better spent on renewals/arbitration raises/extensions if they are comfortable with a 2014 rotation of Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Wood, and Teheran.

Refuse to accept the status quo-Wolfpack Unlimited

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/17/2013 10:19 AM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


please let this mean the end of the malhom era with atl

he's fine for a 5th starter, but i dont know if he has any value in the playoffs.
i'd rather let wood get some work in as a starter for us in the second half
Pancho was a bandit boys
His horse was fast as polished steel
Wore his gun outside his pants
For all the honest world to feel
Reply | Quote
  • buck588
  • Braves Member
  • 83 posts this site

Posted: 7/17/2013 1:21 PM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Trade Malhom for a quality hitter or relief pitcher. We do not need him any longer. He is the worst starting pitcher and Wood is already exceeds anything Malhom can do.  As for me, every time Malhom starts, I expect a loss.
shackled wrote: please let this mean the end of the malhom era with atl

he's fine for a 5th starter, but i dont know if he has any value in the playoffs.
i'd rather let wood get some work in as a starter for us in the second half
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/18/2013 11:53 AM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 



buck588 wrote: Trade Malhom for a quality hitter or relief pitcher. We do not need him any longer. He is the worst starting pitcher and Wood is already exceeds anything Malhom can do.  As for me, every time Malhom starts, I expect a loss.
shackled wrote: please let this mean the end of the malhom era with atl

he's fine for a 5th starter, but i dont know if he has any value in the playoffs.
i'd rather let wood get some work in as a starter for us in the second half
No... Hudson has been our worst SP this year.  I say use Maholm for trade bait also, but you guys are selling him short of the job he's done as a Brave.

"Because I make agressive predictions and analysis. Not my fault I'm not a coward." -Zito, Fearless Man of the Forums!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/18/2013 12:10 PM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


Just throwing this out there...

Medlen in '13 vs. '12:

WHIP: up .40
H/9: up *3.1*
BB/9: up 1
K/9: down 1
HR/9: up .6
HBP: up 7 (had 0 last year)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/18/2013 12:59 PM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


He's been a big asset.  No doubt.

But I don't think he's in our playoff rotation.  I think he's better than Wood and maybe post injury Beachy, but I don't think it's a significant drop off.

The market for SP stinks.  Maybe someone overpays if we pay all of Maholm's salary for the rest of the year.

I think we need a hitter.  I think we need a Prado-type hitter.  We need a guy that makes a lot of contact, gets on base, hits some doubles.  Not sure who that guy is or where he fits on the line up card, but I think we need that to win playoff series.
MarteFuture wrote:
buck588 wrote: Trade Malhom for a quality hitter or relief pitcher. We do not need him any longer. He is the worst starting pitcher and Wood is already exceeds anything Malhom can do.  As for me, every time Malhom starts, I expect a loss.
shackled wrote: please let this mean the end of the malhom era with atl

he's fine for a 5th starter, but i dont know if he has any value in the playoffs.
i'd rather let wood get some work in as a starter for us in the second half
No... Hudson has been our worst SP this year.  I say use Maholm for trade bait also, but you guys are selling him short of the job he's done as a Brave.

Refuse to accept the status quo-Wolfpack Unlimited

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/18/2013 2:51 PM

Re: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/

There is reason to believe Wood could replace Kris Medlen in the rotation and if this proves to be true, Medlen would likely be moved back to a relief role.  Like Jordan Walden, Medlen would serve as a right-handed relief option, whose changeup has provided him success against left-handed hitters.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/19/2013 2:47 PM

RE: Mark Bowman statement about Alex Wood 


hate this idea
Pancho was a bandit boys
His horse was fast as polished steel
Wore his gun outside his pants
For all the honest world to feel
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >