Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Locke !!!

Posted: 08/27/2014 5:36 PM

Locke !!! 


Not only did Locke pitch great today, it was only the 2nd time in the last 17 games a Pirate starting pitcher has lasted at least 7 innings. The pen may be pitching poorly, but a lot has to do with the inability for the starters to go more than 6 innings on most nights.

4-2 vs the Brewers and Cards with one of the worst lineups in baseball. Hurdle may not be the best x's and o's manager, but keeping this rag tag bunch of players together and actually above .500 is just short of amazing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/27/2014 5:48 PM

Re: Locke !!! 


This isn't a "rag tag" group of players. I know that notion fits your nonstop whining about the FO. Clearly if you were running the show we'd be up 15 games in the division. Hurdle is just a manager. You're full of ****...again...as usual.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/27/2014 8:04 PM

Re: Locke !!! 



BAMSTEELERFAN wrote: This isn't a "rag tag" group of players. I know that notion fits your nonstop whining about the FO. Clearly if you were running the show we'd be up 15 games in the division. Hurdle is just a manager. You're full of ****...again...as usual.
Let me see.. Snider, Sanchez, Davis, Tabata, Barmes and Harrison are all platoon players, players that were not wanted by other teams or pretty much considered done. Volquez and Worley were two pitchers that were among the worst in baseball last season. The rest of the staff other than Cole is a mix mash of inconstant players. The Closer is a set up man and the rest of the pen other than Watson all have had some serious issues or have been released by other teams..... Yup a team full of all stars.

I dont care if you disagree with me, because I agree I am full of *******, but please dont act like this is a team full of great talent. On paper this team should not be even close to a playoff spot, but it is. I dont think its just luck, I do think its a manager that has kept a team together through some tough situations.

I have no idea where the team would be if I was running the show, but I do know I would have made different decisions and at least made an attempt to improve the team since the end of last season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 6:10 AM

Re: Locke !!! 


Kinda harsh, BAM. 

I agree Vinny.  While Hurdle might do some things that make folks shake their head and ask what he was thinking, I can only imagine what that clubhouse is like as there is literally a revolving door of AAAA players filling holes left and right.

Everybody wants to point out things like how good Harrison has been this year and yet nobody wants to give Hurdle credit for sticking with him and playing him over a guy like Pedro.  Six months ago, nobody even wanted J Hay on the team.  The proof is in the old threads.
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13

Last edited 08/28/2014 6:24 AM by GhostOfPBG

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 6:58 AM

Re: Locke !!! 


While I don't totally disagree with you, all teams have their share of AAAA type players filling the roster when you have the number of injuries the Pirates have had this season.

Yeah, some of thost players like Martinez, Nix and  Morel are AAAA but for the most part the players filling in have done a good job. There have been alot of injuries this season and the team/players/manager/coaches/etc.. have done a good job of keeping it together.

Harrison was a bench player coming into the season and seized the opportunity when he got a chance to play. Hurdle didn't have a choice but to continue playing him the way he played. I am sure that is any kind of genius managing on his part. His hand was forced. And my comments are not meant to get on Hurdle because he has done a great job of keeping this team together. I just don't see him playing JHay as some genius move. It is an obvious move to me.
GhostOfPBG wrote: Kinda harsh, BAM. 

I agree Vinny.  While Hurdle might do some things that make folks shake their head and ask what he was thinking, I can only imagine what that clubhouse is like as there is literally a revolving door of AAAA players filling holes left and right.

Everybody wants to point out things like how good Harrison has been this year and yet nobody wants to give Hurdle credit for sticking with him and playing him over a guy like Pedro.  Six months ago, nobody even wanted J Hay on the team.  The proof is in the old threads.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 8:31 AM

Re: Locke !!! 





---------------------------------------------
--- panthers2533 wrote:

While I don't totally disagree with you, all teams have their share of AAAA type players filling the roster when you have the number of injuries the Pirates have had this season.

Yeah, some of thost players like Martinez, Nix and  Morel are AAAA but for the most part the players filling in have done a good job. There have been alot of injuries this season and the team/players/manager/coaches/etc.. have done a good job of keeping it together.

Harrison was a bench player coming into the season and seized the opportunity when he got a chance to play. Hurdle didn't have a choice but to continue playing him the way he played. I am sure that is any kind of genius managing on his part. His hand was forced. And my comments are not meant to get on Hurdle because he has done a great job of keeping this team together. I just don't see him playing JHay as some genius move. It is an obvious move to me.
GhostOfPBG wrote: Kinda harsh, BAM. 

I agree Vinny.  While Hurdle might do some things that make folks shake their head and ask what he was thinking, I can only imagine what that clubhouse is like as there is literally a revolving door of AAAA players filling holes left and right.

Everybody wants to point out things like how good Harrison has been this year and yet nobody wants to give Hurdle credit for sticking with him and playing him over a guy like Pedro.  Six months ago, nobody even wanted J Hay on the team.  The proof is in the old threads.


---------------------------------------------

I don't think Hurdle has been a genius, I just think he has done a great job of keeping this team winning, when everything says they should not.

I just think Hurdle has done more with less than any other manager in baseball this season. I won't say he is a great x's and o' s manager, but he seems to be a great clubhouse manager.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/28/2014 8:31 AM

Re: Locke !!! 



vinnybravo wrote:
BAMSTEELERFAN wrote: This isn't a "rag tag" group of players. I know that notion fits your nonstop whining about the FO. Clearly if you were running the show we'd be up 15 games in the division. Hurdle is just a manager. You're full of ****...again...as usual.
Let me see.. Snider, Sanchez, Davis, Tabata, Barmes and Harrison are all platoon players, players that were not wanted by other teams or pretty much considered done. Volquez and Worley were two pitchers that were among the worst in baseball last season. The rest of the staff other than Cole is a mix mash of inconstant players. The Closer is a set up man and the rest of the pen other than Watson all have had some serious issues or have been released by other teams..... Yup a team full of all stars.

I dont care if you disagree with me, because I agree I am full of *******, but please dont act like this is a team full of great talent. On paper this team should not be even close to a playoff spot, but it is. I dont think its just luck, I do think its a manager that has kept a team together through some tough situations.

I have no idea where the team would be if I was running the show, but I do know I would have made different decisions and at least made an attempt to improve the team since the end of last season.

I will split the difference and say that this Pirates team is better than "rag tag" but definitely below "true contender status" in terms of its overall roster talent on a top to bottom basis.  Definitely agree with vinny 100% that this team has overachieved.   Also, hats off to you, vinny, for your excellent, even-keel response.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 10:30 AM

Re: Locke !!! 



vinnybravo wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- panthers2533 wrote:

While I don't totally disagree with you, all teams have their share of AAAA type players filling the roster when you have the number of injuries the Pirates have had this season.

Yeah, some of thost players like Martinez, Nix and  Morel are AAAA but for the most part the players filling in have done a good job. There have been alot of injuries this season and the team/players/manager/coaches/etc.. have done a good job of keeping it together.

Harrison was a bench player coming into the season and seized the opportunity when he got a chance to play. Hurdle didn't have a choice but to continue playing him the way he played. I am sure that is any kind of genius managing on his part. His hand was forced. And my comments are not meant to get on Hurdle because he has done a great job of keeping this team together. I just don't see him playing JHay as some genius move. It is an obvious move to me.
GhostOfPBG wrote: Kinda harsh, BAM. 

I agree Vinny.  While Hurdle might do some things that make folks shake their head and ask what he was thinking, I can only imagine what that clubhouse is like as there is literally a revolving door of AAAA players filling holes left and right.

Everybody wants to point out things like how good Harrison has been this year and yet nobody wants to give Hurdle credit for sticking with him and playing him over a guy like Pedro.  Six months ago, nobody even wanted J Hay on the team.  The proof is in the old threads.


---------------------------------------------

I don't think Hurdle has been a genius, I just think he has done a great job of keeping this team winning, when everything says they should not.

I just think Hurdle has done more with less than any other manager in baseball this season. I won't say he is a great x's and o' s manager, but he seems to be a great clubhouse manager.
I agree with you on this for sure.
Reply | Quote