Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Disaster

Posted: 08/19/2014 5:11 PM

Disaster 


Wow, this season is turning into a disaster fast. Something needs to be done in a hurry or the season is lost. Please do not blame this on injuries because the the other teams figting for a playoff spots have had it just as bad as the Pirates. 6 in a row and counting.

Very sad that the Pirates had a chance to improve and build on the playoff season from last season and instead chose to do nothing and hope things would work out just like last season. Pirates fans deserve better than this.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 6:40 PM

Re: Disaster 


It's the same ol' "financial flexibility" song and dance that gets repeated time and time again.  "Well we can make moves and add significant salary at the deadline now"....how'd that work out?  Jason Nix.....rolleyes
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 8:27 PM

Re: Disaster 


It is discouraging, although it seems like most of the NL teams that are still in contention have had relatively long runs of playing some very bad baseball.  Maybe the Bucs will get it together in time to stay in the race until late September.  Realistically, though, I don't think we have the horses this year to go very deep into the playoffs.  A wildcard game would be exciting but beyond that - the Brewers, Nationals, Dodgers & probably Cardinals all have better teams than the Bucs right now.  And I don't see management making any significant trades by the end of August - probably wouldn't make sense this year anyway.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:10 PM

Re: Disaster 



vinnybravo wrote: Wow, this season is turning into a disaster fast. Something needs to be done in a hurry or the season is lost. Please do not blame this on injuries because the the other teams figting for a playoff spots have had it just as bad as the Pirates. 6 in a row and counting.

Very sad that the Pirates had a chance to improve and build on the playoff season from last season and instead chose to do nothing and hope things would work out just like last season. Pirates fans deserve better than this.
All the seats were sold.  Why spend anymore money?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:15 PM

Re: Disaster 


New chairlifts!


---------------------------------------------
--- Sangue wrote:


vinnybravo wrote: Wow, this season is turning into a disaster fast. Something needs to be done in a hurry or the season is lost. Please do not blame this on injuries because the the other teams figting for a playoff spots have had it just as bad as the Pirates. 6 in a row and counting.

Very sad that the Pirates had a chance to improve and build on the playoff season from last season and instead chose to do nothing and hope things would work out just like last season. Pirates fans deserve better than this.
All the seats were sold.  Why spend anymore money?

---------------------------------------------

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote
  • kdog341
  • Member
  • 565 posts this site

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:39 PM

Re: Disaster 


I will blame it on losing your best 2 hitters for 2 weeks one is the reigning MVP. Last year's homerun king being a headcase play's a role also.

Whose the game changer that was traded that we missed out on. 2 pitchers who went for ml players not prospects. The best bat on the market has 16 million left and plays Rf for philly.

We can still turn it around all is not lost



Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/20/2014 6:09 AM

Re: Disaster 



kdog341 wrote: I will blame it on losing your best 2 hitters for 2 weeks one is the reigning MVP. Last year's homerun king being a headcase play's a role also.

Whose the game changer that was traded that we missed out on. 2 pitchers who went for ml players not prospects. The best bat on the market has 16 million left and plays Rf for philly.

We can still turn it around all is not lost
I can see your point, but St Louis and the Brewers lost their two best players and pitcher for a longer amount  of time and they did not fold like yesterdays laundry.

You cant only think of players that were traded. THe Pirates have enough young players to be able to trade for a full time player that could have made an impact on this team. They could have done it in the off season as well, but again went with the less expensive opportunity. It reality, the Russell Martin Siginin is the only one they have made that was not a money saver deal.

I dont think the season is lost, bu they have made it more difficult for themselves. The Schedule in September is pretty easy so they still got a chance, but again they have shown they cannot beat good teams and that does not bode well for playing in October.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/20/2014 6:50 AM

Re: Disaster 



kdog341 wrote: I will blame it on losing your best 2 hitters for 2 weeks one is the reigning MVP. Last year's homerun king being a headcase play's a role also.

Whose the game changer that was traded that we missed out on. 2 pitchers who went for ml players not prospects. The best bat on the market has 16 million left and plays Rf for philly.

We can still turn it around all is not lost
That is complete BS to me. The offense still scored plenty of runs. The pitching has been suspect. It has actually been suspect all year, but it has really come home to roost now. Some regression was anticipated. The way to counter regression is with additions. You add to softs spots so if the strong areas of the team regress you can counter balance it. The front office didn't do that in the offseason and they didn't do it at the trade deadline. I still wouldn't count the Pirates out. They haven't put a run together yet. Their longest win streak is just 4 games. Are they capable of stringing together a win streak? I don't know. It doesn't look good. But there is still enough time to halt this slide and get hot again. They aren't buried, but they might be soon.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/21/2014 7:17 AM

Re: Disaster 


I think kdog's point stands, though mjdouble is also correct to point to the fact that the Pirates' pitching has been at least a little bit suspect all season long.  Really, if you want to look at it this way, you could say that in addition to losing their best two hitters for two weeks---I don't count Pedro The Head Case because I expected him to poop out---but in addition to McCutchen and Walker going down, you could say that the Pirates "lost" their best three starting pitchers from last season.  Burnett, because he left town (and then got hurt).  Cole and Liriano to injury and ineffectiveness, though Liriano finally got straightened out but only after half the season was gone.  They also "lost" their closer when Grilli imploded and got dealt.  It's quite amazing when you consider all of that, that the Pirates are anywhere in the neighborhood of .500, let alone still supposedly on the fringes of wildcard contention.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/21/2014 8:32 AM

Re: Disaster 



williamjpellas wrote: I think kdog's point stands, though mjdouble is also correct to point to the fact that the Pirates' pitching has been at least a little bit suspect all season long.  Really, if you want to look at it this way, you could say that in addition to losing their best two hitters for two weeks---I don't count Pedro The Head Case because I expected him to poop out---but in addition to McCutchen and Walker going down, you could say that the Pirates "lost" their best three starting pitchers from last season.  Burnett, because he left town (and then got hurt).  Cole and Liriano to injury and ineffectiveness, though Liriano finally got straightened out but only after half the season was gone.  They also "lost" their closer when Grilli imploded and got dealt.  It's quite amazing when you consider all of that, that the Pirates are anywhere in the neighborhood of .500, let alone still supposedly on the fringes of wildcard contention.
Plus Morton has been pitching through some kind of "sports related hernia" and is now on the DL also.

I maintain that the back end of the bullpen has hurt us as much as anything else. They've been erratic all year. Melancon is a fine setup man and Watson is excellent as the 7th inning guy, but both are miscast in their current roles. Gotta' address the "Closer" position in the off season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/22/2014 5:17 AM

Re: Disaster 



williamjpellas wrote: I think kdog's point stands, though mjdouble is also correct to point to the fact that the Pirates' pitching has been at least a little bit suspect all season long.  Really, if you want to look at it this way, you could say that in addition to losing their best two hitters for two weeks---I don't count Pedro The Head Case because I expected him to poop out---but in addition to McCutchen and Walker going down, you could say that the Pirates "lost" their best three starting pitchers from last season.  Burnett, because he left town (and then got hurt).  Cole and Liriano to injury and ineffectiveness, though Liriano finally got straightened out but only after half the season was gone.  They also "lost" their closer when Grilli imploded and got dealt.  It's quite amazing when you consider all of that, that the Pirates are anywhere in the neighborhood of .500, let alone still supposedly on the fringes of wildcard contention.
The two injuries hurt, but a lot of teams have had to do through that this season. The rest of the issues you point out are all things that should not have surprised anyone. The lack of planning by the FO and simply sitting on its hands in the off season and trade deadline is what really hurt this team.
Reply | Quote