Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Pedro's last option.....

Posted: 08/03/2014 7:30 AM

Pedro's last option..... 


Looks like Pedro has one last option. Would it be worth sending him down and letting him get "fixed" in AAA, because he is useless right now for the Pirates. He is not hitting,not that he ever did much, but now he has Steve Sax syndrome. He is getting worse and worse with his throws and something needs to be done.

The sad thing is the Pirates have no position players in AAA that can play at the ML level, well maybe Lambo but we may never know. I think they should send Pedro down, call Lambo up and hope the can get Pedro fixed. If nothing else they need to make a waiver deadline deal and get a 3B because right now 3B and 1B are HUGE holes for a playoff team, and August 11th is just around the corner.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 7:37 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



vinnybravo wrote: Looks like Pedro has one last option. Would it be worth sending him down and letting him get "fixed" in AAA, because he is useless right now for the Pirates. He is not hitting,not that he ever did much, but now he has Steve Sax syndrome. He is getting worse and worse with his throws and something needs to be done.

The sad thing is the Pirates have no position players in AAA that can play at the ML level, well maybe Lambo but we may never know. I think they should send Pedro down, call Lambo up and hope the can get Pedro fixed. If nothing else they need to make a waiver deadline deal and get a 3B because right now 3B and 1B are HUGE holes for a playoff team, and August 11th is just around the corner.
Wouldn't he have to pass through waivers to be sent down?  If so, someone would claim him for sure.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 7:41 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



BBG65 wrote:
vinnybravo wrote: Looks like Pedro has one last option. Would it be worth sending him down and letting him get "fixed" in AAA, because he is useless right now for the Pirates. He is not hitting,not that he ever did much, but now he has Steve Sax syndrome. He is getting worse and worse with his throws and something needs to be done.

The sad thing is the Pirates have no position players in AAA that can play at the ML level, well maybe Lambo but we may never know. I think they should send Pedro down, call Lambo up and hope the can get Pedro fixed. If nothing else they need to make a waiver deadline deal and get a 3B because right now 3B and 1B are HUGE holes for a playoff team, and August 11th is just around the corner.
Wouldn't he have to pass through waivers to be sent down?  If so, someone would claim him for sure.
I think I read that he has one option left, so he would not go through waivers. I think the only way he goes through waivers is if he is out of options. Cfer or Katoy would have a better grasp on this than I do.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/03/2014 7:57 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Interesting idea, but I wonder if Pedro and Scott Boras would be willing. Operation Shutdown Part Two?

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 8:05 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Pedro Alvarez is becoming unplayable at 3B

Remember when just a few weeks ago Pedro had been hitting blah, blah, blah since June 1st?  He's been a really good player for a long time......rolleyes
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 9:49 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



GhostOfPBG wrote: Pedro Alvarez is becoming unplayable at 3B

Remember when just a few weeks ago Pedro had been hitting blah, blah, blah since June 1st?  He's been a really good player for a long time......rolleyes

I don't think Pedro should play very much until he gets this mental problem under control.  I'd have him taking throws at first base every day before games.  He is a hard worker so he would probably take it in stride.  It is a little extreme to switch positions in the middle of a season like that, but he would be an upgrade offensively at first base.  I'd give it a try at this point, it couldn't hurt anything.

You know, more people on this board would have conversations with you if you didn't come on here and just be rude and attack people.  I mean this post that I have quoted is ridiculous.  You're out of line.
Reply | Quote
  • mbark74
  • Member
  • 447 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:01 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


In my opinion Pedro is thinking too much about his errors. People keep pointing it out and you know it has to be bothering him. He has never been a good hitter but he could hit homeruns in bunches which would cancel out his strikeouts. At the moment he is killing his FA value whenever it is. Hopefully soon he will get his head on straight and work things out. Maybe moving him to first in the offseason would make a difference. Move Walker to third, Harrison to 2nd. Just a thought.noidea
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:27 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Whatever you say, Robbie Grossman.  I really am not concerned with people's opinion of me on this board.  If they don't like anything I have to say, they are certainly free to use the ignore function. The only reason you see my comments as out of line is because they are basically your words and they are wrong yet again.   I'm still waiting to hear some of these major outlets report on Friedman's comments from the other day like you claimed.  You know, when you ran off and said I was picking on you or some nonsense?  You spout off opinions as fact and then when people disagree or prove you wrong, you play the emotional victim card like you're doing now.  You've personally called me everything from an ******* to a douchebag on this board and then you try and act as if you are some voice of reason the next day, haha!
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:35 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



cferrel3 wrote:
GhostOfPBG wrote: Pedro Alvarez is becoming unplayable at 3B

Remember when just a few weeks ago Pedro had been hitting blah, blah, blah since June 1st?  He's been a really good player for a long time......rolleyes

I don't think Pedro should play very much until he gets this mental problem under control.  I'd have him taking throws at first base every day before games.  He is a hard worker so he would probably take it in stride.  It is a little extreme to switch positions in the middle of a season like that, but he would be an upgrade offensively at first base.  I'd give it a try at this point, it couldn't hurt anything.

You know, more people on this board would have conversations with you if you didn't come on here and just be rude and attack people.  I mean this post that I have quoted is ridiculous.  You're out of line.
Wow...hello kettle, have you met the pot??  Might want to look in the mirror before you start throwing stones in that glass house of yours......
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:39 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



gr1111 wrote: Interesting idea, but I wonder if Pedro and Scott Boras would be willing. Operation Shutdown Part Two?
I dont know. Boras would want Pedro fixed now because his value is taking a nose dive. His fielding could run him right out of baseball. He is not a good enough hitter to overcome his inability in the field. IMO, he is done as a 3B. He needs to be moved to 1B or to the AL where he can be a DH.

I am saying he is done at 3B because this is not a new problem with Pedro. He has always had great hands, but cant throw to 1B. Another thing is he is killing the bench. Jay Hey is a great bench bat, but with him having to play for Pedro makes the Pirates bench horrid.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:56 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Matthew Pouliot - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM I should have mentioned this somewhere in there… Alvarez is out of options, so the Pirates can’t simply send him down.
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:57 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Here is a Pedro solution. Trade him the Phillies for Rollins. Mercer moves over to 3B.

http://hiddenvigorish.com/2014...-pedro-problem/
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 11:05 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


I've owned up to mine. And quit. Enough already, put your gasoline away.


---------------------------------------------
--- vinnybravo wrote:


cferrel3 wrote:
GhostOfPBG wrote: Pedro Alvarez is becoming unplayable at 3B

Remember when just a few weeks ago Pedro had been hitting blah, blah, blah since June 1st?  He's been a really good player for a long time......rolleyes

I don't think Pedro should play very much until he gets this mental problem under control.  I'd have him taking throws at first base every day before games.  He is a hard worker so he would probably take it in stride.  It is a little extreme to switch positions in the middle of a season like that, but he would be an upgrade offensively at first base.  I'd give it a try at this point, it couldn't hurt anything.

You know, more people on this board would have conversations with you if you didn't come on here and just be rude and attack people.  I mean this post that I have quoted is ridiculous.  You're out of line.
Wow...hello kettle, have you met the pot??  Might want to look in the mirror before you start throwing stones in that glass house of yours......

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 11:07 AM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


That's very interesting. Don't know for sure if I'm on board with that yet. If Pedro can make a quick transition to first he has more value than Rollins. Plus Mercer is better than Rollins defensively at this point, although the defense gets much better as a whole.


---------------------------------------------
--- mjdouble wrote:

Here is a Pedro solution. Trade him the Phillies for Rollins. Mercer moves over to 3B.

hiddenvigorish.com/2014...-pedro-problem/

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/03/2014 12:40 PM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


One minor "in all fairness" note re: Pedro---a guy I don't normally defend---and that is, if it is his left knee that is bothering him, then that would be his "plant leg" when he throws.  In other words, if he is landing gingerly on his plant leg, then that would probably cause some of his throws to sail, because they would be leaving his hand at a point behind his head, rather than just in front of his head---as would be the case if he were planting his plant leg harder, more like a pitcher does. 


Don't get me wrong, I don't care for Pedro as a player and never have and I have never deviated from that stance.  Just trying to be 100% fair to him here, that's all.  I still believe he will be traded this offseason, though there is still a possibility that he could be moved to first---Ike "Stinky" Davis surely won't be back---and that other moves could be in the offing.  But I think a trade would be in his and the Pirates' best interests.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 12:57 PM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



williamjpellas wrote: One minor "in all fairness" note re: Pedro---a guy I don't normally defend---and that is, if it is his left knee that is bothering him, then that would be his "plant leg" when he throws.  In other words, if he is landing gingerly on his plant leg, then that would probably cause some of his throws to sail, because they would be leaving his hand at a point behind his head, rather than just in front of his head---as would be the case if he were planting his plant leg harder, more like a pitcher does. 


Don't get me wrong, I don't care for Pedro as a player and never have and I have never deviated from that stance.  Just trying to be 100% fair to him here, that's all.  I still believe he will be traded this offseason, though there is still a possibility that he could be moved to first---Ike "Stinky" Davis surely won't be back---and that other moves could be in the offing.  But I think a trade would be in his and the Pirates' best interests.
There is nothing mechanically wrong with him. This has been getting progressively worse for many weeks before he tweaked his knee. This is entirely a mental issue. They don't usually resolve quickly either. Sometimes they never resolve.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/03/2014 1:12 PM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 



mjdouble wrote:
williamjpellas wrote: One minor "in all fairness" note re: Pedro---a guy I don't normally defend---and that is, if it is his left knee that is bothering him, then that would be his "plant leg" when he throws.  In other words, if he is landing gingerly on his plant leg, then that would probably cause some of his throws to sail, because they would be leaving his hand at a point behind his head, rather than just in front of his head---as would be the case if he were planting his plant leg harder, more like a pitcher does. 


Don't get me wrong, I don't care for Pedro as a player and never have and I have never deviated from that stance.  Just trying to be 100% fair to him here, that's all.  I still believe he will be traded this offseason, though there is still a possibility that he could be moved to first---Ike "Stinky" Davis surely won't be back---and that other moves could be in the offing.  But I think a trade would be in his and the Pirates' best interests.
There is nothing mechanically wrong with him. This has been getting progressively worse for many weeks before he tweaked his knee. This is entirely a mental issue. They don't usually resolve quickly either. Sometimes they never resolve.

Re: the underlined in blue part: Oh, quite right.  If he has become the third base position's answer to Steve Sax Disease, then his future---to the extent that he has one---in the major leagues is obviously as a first baseman / DH, almost certainly in the American League.  Which is what I always thought he was, anyway, though he certainly wants to do well as a third baseman and he has definitely worked at his craft.  It just hasn't happened for him.  Again, I was only trying to be completely fair to him.  In terms of bottom line results, he plainly hasn't cut it at third base for most of his career, not really.  Add in what has happened this year to the fact that he is approaching much larger dollars in arbitration---and all of that with beelzeboras as his agent in the background---and he can't be traded fast enough to suit me.

Last edited 08/03/2014 1:13 PM by williamjpellas

Reply | Quote
  • kdog341
  • Member
  • 565 posts this site

Posted: 08/03/2014 3:50 PM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


If he don't have any options make up an injury. Send him to Florida for instructional league. Call up lambo.

Put MuCcuthen on dl bring up Marte.

Harrison 3rd
Polanco rf
Walker 2nd
Lambo 1st
Marte cf
Martin c
Mercer ss



Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/03/2014 4:04 PM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Precisely


---------------------------------------------
--- vinnybravo wrote:


cferrel3 wrote:
GhostOfPBG wrote: Pedro Alvarez is becoming unplayable at 3B

Remember when just a few weeks ago Pedro had been hitting blah, blah, blah since June 1st?  He's been a really good player for a long time......rolleyes

I don't think Pedro should play very much until he gets this mental problem under control.  I'd have him taking throws at first base every day before games.  He is a hard worker so he would probably take it in stride.  It is a little extreme to switch positions in the middle of a season like that, but he would be an upgrade offensively at first base.  I'd give it a try at this point, it couldn't hurt anything.

You know, more people on this board would have conversations with you if you didn't come on here and just be rude and attack people.  I mean this post that I have quoted is ridiculous.  You're out of line.
Wow...hello kettle, have you met the pot??  Might want to look in the mirror before you start throwing stones in that glass house of yours......

---------------------------------------------

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/03/2014 10:48 PM

Re: Pedro's last option..... 


Just to clarify a couple of things here:

Pedro was awarded a 4th option, but that could only be used in the year it was awarded. Since the Pirates didn't use it last year, he's again out of options.

Rollins has 10 and 5 rights. He has expressed a desire to finish his career in Philly so there's an extremely high probability that he'd veto any trade.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >