Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million

Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 1:27 PM

Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


I told you so.  I can't wait for A.J. to start singing (about the Pirates negotiation details).

Great signing by the Phillies.  Instantly makes them a playoff contender.

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/02/a-j-burnet t-signs-a-one-year-deal-with-the-phillies.html

Last edited 02/12/2014 1:30 PM by Sangue

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 1:30 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year for $16 Million 



Sangue wrote: I told you so.


http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/02/a-j-burnet t-signs-a-one-year-deal-with-the-phillies.html
Good luck to AJ!! He was a great Pirates that did so much for this team. Too bad the organization did not repay him for that.

But to be fair, you pay a player for what you think he will do, not what he has done. The Pirates did not feel he will do well, so they did not offer him the money that the rest of baseball (or his stats) thought he was worth.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 1:34 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year for $16 Million 


I for one don't blame the guy one bit.  He got a big contract offer from one of the few teams that he and his wife felt comfortable with.  Seems like plenty of folks here think the Phils will struggle this year -- and they might -- but if they can get that roster full of old men healthy and keep them that way, they could be a very interesting team to keep an eye on. 

In my opinion, anyone who is using the word greedy to describe AJ is being irrational.  I don't care about career earnings, $4-6 million is an absurd amount of money to leave on the table.  Good possibility he gets traded to a contender of his choosing mid-season anyway if the Phillies are struggling.
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 1:40 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year for $16 Million 



GhostOfPBG wrote: I for one don't blame the guy one bit.  He got a big contract offer from one of the few teams that he and his wife felt comfortable with.  Seems like plenty of folks here think the Phils will struggle this year -- and they might -- but if they can get that roster full of old men healthy and keep them that way, they could be a very interesting team to keep an eye on. 

In my opinion, anyone who is using the word greedy to describe AJ is being irrational.  I don't care about career earnings, $4-6 million is an absurd amount of money to leave on the table.  Good possibility he gets traded to a contender of his choosing mid-season anyway if the Phillies are struggling.
Yep - especially when there are reports the Pirates made $40 million last year.  At that point there's two people in the room - A.J. and Bob Nutting.  Not sure why A.J. would want to make a $6-9 million donation to Bob Nutting if Nutting already carrying a suitcase with $40 million in it.  A.J. would be better off giving the millions to his wife's stripper friends.

Last edited 02/12/2014 1:41 PM by Sangue

Reply | Quote
  • mbark74
  • Member
  • 445 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 1:58 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


Thanks A.J. it's ok to take the money. But a previous post says this makes the Phillies a playoff contender. I think not. He had a very good year with the Bucs because of the defense. The Phillies are old and ranked 30th in the league in defense. They have many older players and their hitting has dropped and the D is going to be worse. I feel A.J. will not have a year like last because of this. But all in all I thank him for what he did on the field and in the clubhouse the past couple years and don't blame him for going for the money.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 2:33 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


Yes the only way AJ Burnett is going to the playoffs as a member of the Phillies is if he takes some of that extra 6 million he got and buys a ticket to PNC park to watch them in October.

There is no way the Phillies are making the playoffs. Unless they suddenly transfer to the retirement living facilities league. I think Ruben Amaro Jr misunderstood something. It's called the senior circuit because it's the older league. Not because you actually have to be a senior to play in the league.

The oldest team to ever win the World Series was the 1980 Philadelphia Phillies with an average age of 31.3 years old.

The Phillies have

Roberto Hernandez - 33
Jonathan Papelbon - 33
Ryan Howard - 34
Cliff Lee - 35
Jimmy Rollins - 35
Chase Utley - 35
Carlos Ruiz - 35
Mike Adams - 35
Marlon Byrd - 36
Wil Nieves - 36
AJ Burnett - 37

That is without even knowing who the bench players will be and bench players tend to be older veterans. The 2014 Phillies winning the World Series would break history as they would surely become the oldest team to ever do so. If I'm a betting person I'm not relying on a team doing something historic as calling them a contender. The chances heavily favour this team being an utter catastrophe over a contender. It's not even that you can lean on the bench and say well yeah that's why we're so old it's because Julio Franco is 49 and bringing our age up. The entire core of the team is ancient. Cole Hamels is the spring chicken of the group at age 30.

A baseball team this old has never won. I don't like their chances this year either. This is an example of how to build a mediocre baseball team for 185 million. The best thing the Phillies can do is fire Ruben Amaro today and try and get as many assets as they can in trades for these guys at the deadline. They won't be competing for the playoffs. I think you would have one hell of a reality show if you just followed AJ Burnett for his season in Philadelphia. It's going to be an epic disaster for the Phillies and I bet there will be some comical Burnett blow-ups based on his reputation.  If AJ Burnett was upset about defensive shifts imagine the blow-ups when he finds out half the team can't even bend over.

The Phillies last year were an ancient team as well and it was a disaster.  They lost Roy Halladay and Michael Young.  Yet they went out of their way to replace them with even older free agents in Byrd and Burnett.  Oh yeah everyone else got a year older as well.  They aren't contending for anything.

Last edited 02/12/2014 2:40 PM by katoy2j

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 2:38 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


That is merely your opinion.  There's a reason we play the games instead of just declaring a champion in April.

But look at it this way....if the Phillies are contending in July, AJ is thrilled.  If the Phillies are not contending in July, AJ gets traded to a contender.  He can't lose.  AJ came out of this smelling like a rose.  The same can't be said for our front office.
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 2:41 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


Yes merely my opinion and the entire history of professional baseball. No team that old has ever won.  That's called a fact.

Last edited 02/12/2014 2:42 PM by katoy2j

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 3:13 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 



katoy2j wrote: Yes merely my opinion and the entire history of professional baseball. No team that old has ever won.  That's called a fact.
And tell me katoy, what is the exact average age of their opening day roster?  It should be easy since it's a fact.
"I originally said he would get fired in mid-May after a poor start, but honestly, he might not make it to May at this rate." A 'professional' opinion of Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle 4/8/13

Last edited 02/12/2014 3:14 PM by GhostOfPBG

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 4:16 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 




---------------------------------------------
--- katoy2j wrote:

Yes merely my opinion and the entire history of professional baseball. No team that old has ever won.  That's called a fact.

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, but it isn't a fact at all.

The 1983 Phillies (the "Wheeze Kids") won the World Series with the following:

Pete Rose, 41
Tony Perez, 40
Ron Reed, 40
Joe Morgan, 39
Bill Robinson, 39
Steve Carlton, 38
Tug McGraw, 38

That's seven players older than any player currently on the Phillies roster.

I'm not saying the 2014 Phillies are going to win anything. But you can't say it has never happened.

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote
  • mbark74
  • Member
  • 445 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 4:38 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


Based on the amount played last year except for Howard this is my guess of the Phillies lineup.

C.   Carlos Ruiz  35
1B  Ryan Howard 35
2B  Chase Utley 36
3B  Cody Asche 23
SS  Jimmy Rollins 36
OF  Dominic Brown 27
OF  Marlon Byrd 36
OF  John Mayberry 30

Of course this is just a guess played out on who would be expected to play but many options could come up. Frandson who played for Howard could take over but I think if Howard is healthy he plays. Plus they have some OF's could take time away from Brown and Mayberry or a catcher to take over from Ruiz.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 4:46 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


At a minimum everyone should be in agreement the Pirates blew the Qualifying Offer decision. 

I don't think anyone with mutter the words "I want to play only for the Pirates or retire" again in my lifetime.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 4:48 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 



mbark74 wrote: Based on the amount played last year except for Howard this is my guess of the Phillies lineup.

C.   Carlos Ruiz  35
1B  Ryan Howard 35
2B  Chase Utley 36
3B  Cody Asche 23
SS  Jimmy Rollins 36
OF  Dominic Brown 27
OF  Marlon Byrd 36
OF  John Mayberry 30

Of course this is just a guess played out on who would be expected to play but many options could come up. Frandson who played for Howard could take over but I think if Howard is healthy he plays. Plus they have some OF's could take time away from Brown and Mayberry or a catcher to take over from Ruiz.
With this team plus Hamels, Lee, and Burnett, you'd have to figure the Phillies will be competing for a Wild Card spot with the Pirates.  Byrd and Burnett, ouch.  Having said that, in a perfect world we get Burnett back at the trade deadline.  We could probably get him for Hanson or Josh Bell.

Last edited 02/12/2014 4:51 PM by Sangue

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 4:50 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


The Orioles won the 1983 World Series over the Phillies.

I am unsure what impact AJ will have on the Phillies, but I believe he was looked up to by Pirate staff. Would have loved to have him back, but hopefully front office will use that money to add another player.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 5:33 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


$16 million for a 37 year old pitcher who only recently decided he even wanted to play?

No thanks.

I appreciate what AJ did as a Buc but I'm glad it was Philly who made that deal. After all, those big contracts paid off well for them last year. I'm sure as those players get even older they'll REALLY pay off.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 6:05 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 



gr1111 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- katoy2j wrote:

Yes merely my opinion and the entire history of professional baseball. No team that old has ever won.  That's called a fact.

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, but it isn't a fact at all.

The 1983 Phillies (the "Wheeze Kids") won the World Series with the following:

Pete Rose, 41
Tony Perez, 40
Ron Reed, 40
Joe Morgan, 39
Bill Robinson, 39
Steve Carlton, 38
Tug McGraw, 38

That's seven players older than any player currently on the Phillies roster.

I'm not saying the 2014 Phillies are going to win anything. But you can't say it has never happened.
Actually it still is a fact.

Nice job but the Phillies lost the 1983 World Series.  That is another fact.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 6:19 PM

Re: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 



Milfman wrote: $16 million for a 37 year old pitcher who only recently decided he even wanted to play?

No thanks.

I appreciate what AJ did as a Buc but I'm glad it was Philly who made that deal. After all, those big contracts paid off well for them last year. I'm sure as those players get even older they'll REALLY pay off.
I know right?  Does anyone know where I can get an Edinson Volquez jersey?  Do they sell them on the ski lifts at Seven Springs?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/12/2014 6:24 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


You didn't say anything about winning the World Series. You just said "won".

The 1983 Phillies were undoubtedly winners. They made it to the World Series. I was wrong that they didn't win it, but that wasn't the point.

A team considerably older than the 2014 Phillies has won, both a division title and a NL pennant. If you're going to make bold statements about the "entire history of baseball" and proclaim it as a fact, you should at least be gracious enough to admit you were mistaken.


---------------------------------------------
--- katoy2j wrote:


gr1111 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- katoy2j wrote:

Yes merely my opinion and the entire history of professional baseball. No team that old has ever won.  That's called a fact.

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, but it isn't a fact at all.

The 1983 Phillies (the "Wheeze Kids") won the World Series with the following:

Pete Rose, 41
Tony Perez, 40
Ron Reed, 40
Joe Morgan, 39
Bill Robinson, 39
Steve Carlton, 38
Tug McGraw, 38

That's seven players older than any player currently on the Phillies roster.

I'm not saying the 2014 Phillies are going to win anything. But you can't say it has never happened.
Actually it still is a fact.

Nice job but the Phillies lost the 1983 World Series.  That is another fact.

---------------------------------------------

___________

 

  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 6:41 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 



gr1111 wrote: You didn't say anything about winning the World Series. You just said "won".

The 1983 Phillies were undoubtedly winners. They made it to the World Series. I was wrong that they didn't win it, but that wasn't the point.

A team considerably older than the 2014 Phillies has won, both a division title and a NL pennant. If you're going to make bold statements about the "entire history of baseball" and proclaim it as a fact, you should at least be gracious enough to admit you were mistaken.


---------------------------------------------
--- katoy2j wrote:


gr1111 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- katoy2j wrote:

Yes merely my opinion and the entire history of professional baseball. No team that old has ever won.  That's called a fact.

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, but it isn't a fact at all.

The 1983 Phillies (the "Wheeze Kids") won the World Series with the following:

Pete Rose, 41
Tony Perez, 40
Ron Reed, 40
Joe Morgan, 39
Bill Robinson, 39
Steve Carlton, 38
Tug McGraw, 38

That's seven players older than any player currently on the Phillies roster.

I'm not saying the 2014 Phillies are going to win anything. But you can't say it has never happened.
Actually it still is a fact.

Nice job but the Phillies lost the 1983 World Series.  That is another fact.

---------------------------------------------

"The oldest team to ever win the World Series was the 1980 Philadelphia Phillies
with an average age of 31.3 years old.

The Phillies have

Roberto
Hernandez - 33
Jonathan Papelbon - 33
Ryan Howard - 34
Cliff Lee -
35
Jimmy Rollins - 35
Chase Utley - 35
Carlos Ruiz - 35
Mike Adams -
35
Marlon Byrd - 36
Wil Nieves - 36
AJ Burnett - 37

That is
without even knowing who the bench players will be and bench players tend to be
older veterans. The 2014 Phillies winning the World Series would break history
as they would surely become the oldest team to ever do so. If I'm a betting
person I'm not relying on a team doing something historic as calling them a
contender. The chances heavily favour this team being an utter catastrophe over
a contender. It's not even that you can lean on the bench and say well yeah
that's why we're so old it's because Julio Franco is 49 and bringing our age up.
The entire core of the team is ancient. Cole Hamels is the spring chicken of the
group at age 30."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/12/2014 6:43 PM

RE: Burnett Signs WIth Phillies: One Year / $16 Million 


Would you like to move the goal posts again? It's bolded what you said I apparently didn't say. Anyone with reading comprehension skills can see that I obviously said about winning the World Series.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >